So, are you jazzed for another Obsidian Fallout?

• 105 results
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online
Member since 2009 • 22842 Posts

Hypothetically speaking there is a very real chance that Obsidian or another 3rd party dev could do the "inbetween" chapter of fallout later this gen... If last generation was any indicator. Also, New Vegas is sort of the darling chapter of the first person fallout, in the way it was received...

You've now (at least in part) played and digested Fallout 4 and your opinions towards the future of the franchise are probably pretty locked in...

If Obsidian announces Fallout : Atlantic City (Atlantic city already is post apocalypse hee hee) are you craving more? Or does fallout, it's ideas, and it's engine need a break from the wasteland until a more greater creative leap is made?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

There are two things here, one objective and one subjective:

• I would rather we not get any more games until Bethesda does some solid work on its engine. The Creation Engine is great at what it does, but it is thoroughly outclassed, and needs a full overhauling, if not an outright replacement
  • Subjectively, I don't care for Fallout anymore. I thought and hoped I would- I love Bethesda's formula, and I thought that would make me look for my personal distaste for Fallout's setting, and make me actually like it. But that didn't happen, and the series, apparently, is simply not for me

So the answer is no, I'm not looking forward to an Obsidian Fallout (or any Fallout, to be honest). I would much rather Obsidian, a talented studio, continue to work on gems like Pillars of Eternity than waste their time on Fallout, and Fallout with an inferior engine like Creation Engine at that.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

No, NV was a step back from F3.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ladyblue said:

lolno

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

They should give it to inexile.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I would love it. But probably not gonna happen.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@charizard1605: have they hinted around the idea of changing the engine in anyway? I'm of the camp that believes fallout 4 is quite appealing to the eye.... I really like how the wasteland is presented, and no I don't think it's on some great graphical level, I just think the sum of its parts work well in moment to moment roaming... Boston looks pretty great to me.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas and the people who say otherwise are on some hipster bullshit.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Fallout 3 was better than New Vegas and the people who say otherwise are on some hipster bullshit.

...or they have an appreciation of well developed RPG mechanics, and a well thought out setting, and good writing

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@Pray_to_me: I enjoyed fallout 3 more than new Vegas as well... But i played both extensively and can see why some folks enjoyed the weightier decisions and choices in new Vegas more than f3... New Vegas was more of a role playing game than f3, but I didn't enjoy the factions, the writing or locales as much as I did in f3.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheEroica  Moderator  Online

@with_teeth26: the rpg piece I'll give you. I can't say I enjoyed the writing more... And the locale was drab compared to f3. In fallout 3 I felt like I was in the metro DC area... New Vegas felt like random dessert-esque with a central Vegas hub.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

No, I want them to spend more time and effort on the next Pillars and South Park. I don't want them to keep working off of games from other companies.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

**** YES. I wrote it in caps showing my love toward Fallout+Obsidian combo!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

Yes please, I had like 3 times more played on NV than F3

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

**** yes

@Pray_to_me said:

Lmao what. NV is insanely superior.

ANyways, it won't be hard to improve on FO4. It's bethesda's worst game so far, even according to MC.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Not really. I didn't care for New Vegas.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@Pray_to_me said:

...or they have an appreciation of well developed RPG mechanics, and a well thought out setting, and good writing

Sorry but the story/writing in NV was garbage, "oh hey I'm still alive after getting shot in the face and buried alive", that's a good way to start off a story!! not.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I'm with @charizard1605 here. That graphics engine needs to go. It was outdated in 2008.

As much as I enjoyed New Vegas (and @ladyblue I definitely felt the same way the fist half of NV's campaign [although it picked up significantly later on]), enough is enough. Infinity Ward did a better job keeping the iD Tech 3 current than Bethesda does keeping Creation Engine current.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jankarcop

@Ballroompirate said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Pray_to_me said:

Sorry but the story/writing in NV was garbage, "oh hey I'm still alive after getting shot in the face and buried alive", that's a good way to start off a story!! not.

The story/writing in NV is what is universally heralded as the exponentially superior factor vs. FO3...

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ballroompirate

@Jankarcop said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Pray_to_me said:

The story/writing in NV is what is universally heralded as the exponentially superior factor vs. FO3...

*Looks at Jankarcop post

*Realizes it's another shit post /nothing new

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

They should build a new engine before attempting any future Fallout game with any developer.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

It would be cool I guess. I wasn't like "OMG Obsidian did teh Fallsouts bettorz!!!" anyway. 3 and NV are both fun games

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Yes, Fallout 3 fans trashed New vegas, but 4 pales in comparison to New Vegas(4 is on par with 3 though). Who knows, I hope obsidian comes back

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

NV is really really overrated. I dont care for another.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jankarcop

@Ballroompirate said:
@Jankarcop said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@with_teeth26 said:

*Looks at Jankarcop post

Can you actually discuss what I said instead of resorting to an actual off-topic shit post yourself?

NV's story and writing are widely considered better to FO3, which is one of the reasons people like it more....I'm not sure how stating that warrants the response you gave. It's actually seen as one of the main reasons, second to the more RPG and content aspects.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 with_teeth26

@Ballroompirate said:
@Jankarcop said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Pray_to_me said:

*Looks at Jankarcop post

except he is right? Don't attack the poster, attack the post. The writing in NV is like Shakespeare compared to the drivel in core Bethesda games. You also get to make actual choices, if you want to side with an evil dictatorial faction who crucify people arbitrarily, go for it! if you want to side with a robot, control a robot army and become that dictator yourself, you can do that as well! Not to mention the premise is kinda believable since water/the hoover dam are already a contentious issue in that part of the states.

I dont really see a problem with the opening, its weird and mysterious and intriguing instead of the usual dull overwrought bollocks Bethesda come up with.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

totes

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

LMAO, are people actually defending Fallout 3's writing? The game with such gems as "Have you seen my dad? Middle aged guy." and "[Intelligence] So you're saying you fight the good fight with your voice?" Not to mention that the main questline was entirely linear. You couldn't even join the enclave or black talon. Or how in the ending you had to die despite potentially having a radiation immune companion with you.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jankarcop

Did FO3 even have factions? rofl so bad.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Yes, please.

As fun as the core gameplay of Fallout 4 is (ie, exploring and killing random stuff in a well built world [for the most part] ), it sorely lacks RPG mechanics outside of actual crafting.

A studio like Obsidian could easily take what's good about the core aspects of Fallou 4 and turn them into a great RPG. Alas, I don't see it happening :S

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I thought there was still bad blood between Bethesda and Obsidian after the 79 MC score on NV. The thread title is pretty misleading unless there was some new news over the weekend?

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Not really just because I know it'd be buggy as shit and need to be fixed by someone else on the PC.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ballroompirate

@with_teeth26 said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Jankarcop said:
@Ballroompirate said:

*Looks at Jankarcop post

except he is right? Don't attack the poster, attack the post. The writing in NV is like Shakespeare compared to the drivel in core Bethesda games. You also get to make actual choices, if you want to side with an evil dictatorial faction who crucify people arbitrarily, go for it! if you want to side with a robot, control a robot army and become that dictator yourself, you can do that as well! Not to mention the premise is kinda believable since water/the hoover dam are already a contentious issue in that part of the states.

I dont really see a problem with the opening, its weird and mysterious and intriguing instead of the usual dull overwrought bollocks Bethesda come up with.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Based on an interview Chris recently did with Gameinformer, i don't think they would accept working with that lame engine.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@ladyblue said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@ladyblue: Why are we e-married again?

Yes! But put the settings in Texas! Caesars Legion as the villains again, and has conquered San Antonio and north of the El Rio Grande. Also with former NCR soldiers trying to form their own country with the Texas Revolution and their Texas Rangers going against the NCR's imperialistic ideals.

ColdCaseLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ColdCaseLuke
Member since 2015 • 94 Posts

@TheEroica: Your not lying about AC being already post apocalyptic. The debauchery.... My lord, me and my buddies had to leave b4 we all died. The place is lawless. You ever read that book "Five people you meet in heaven?" Instead 'Five crazy people you meet in jersey."

Fallout NV, is still my fav. I like f4, for next Gen..ness. Obsidian would take it even further, hoping if, and when, they take out the dialogue wheel and let me be evil again.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

I wonder why Obsidian can make a Fall Out spin-off but not given the keys to making an Elder Scrolls spin-off

Also I would rather them make Alpha Protocol sequel but since that game's image has already been tarnished maybe make a spiritual successor to it kinda like how dark souls is to demon's souls.

I don't know what it was about that game because it's gameplay wasn't polished (I'm willing to admit that much) and the graphics could've been better (maybe they had low budget to work with) but the choices, outcomes and consequences in the game was something even mass effect could only achieve in its dreams.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Nah, New Vegas was fucking boring and unplayable at launch.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

I'd play a new Fallout from Obsidian if they released one, but it's not the game I'd want from them.

If I could choose what Obsidian did next, I'd have them go to EA and ask to work on a new Star Wars RPG. KotOR 2 was amazing, despite been unfinished, so imagine if they got a second chance and where able to actually complete the game they worked on.

Honestly I'd much prefer this, especially as they have spoken in the past about wanting another shot at Star Wars, over EA forcing Bioware to make another Star Wars game when they already have their own Sci-fi series to maintain.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

Maybe, but they will probably have to overhaul the perks. And probably slow down the levelling process, balancing the game from level 1-20 instead of 1-50. In Fallout 4 it was nearly impossible to specialize. Due to being given way too many perks, and the distance being able to improve existing perks was too high.

And Fallout New Vegas's story is far more well written than TES: Capitol Wasteland or the game they call Fallout 4.

• Better characters. Many of them which explored actual themes related to the fallout universe. Arcade Gannon was a critique of idealism.
  • Fully realized factions. The factions in TES: CW boiled down to good vs evil. In NV, the factions were more different shades of grey.
  • Dead Money... need I say more?
  • Actually loyal to the lore of the Fallout Universe.
  • Far fewer plot holes.
  • Since the courier is not directly shoehorned in the story (muh emotional investment), the world feels a lot more like it is a world instead of a world existing for and around the player.
  • Multiple perspectives on each situation makes for a much more believeable world.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@ladyblue said:

lolno

meh. Its all opinion, but I tend to agree with this person. I enjoyed Fallout 3 far more than NV.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#43 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4581 Posts

I'd rather have more Pillars than another Fallout game from them. I thought Pillars was a much better rpg than Fallout 4 and only outclassed by TW3 this year. (And maybe Divinity: Original Sin EE)

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01

@Jankarcop said:

**** yes

@Pray_to_me said:

ANyways, it won't be hard to improve on FO4. It's bethesda's worst game so far, even according to MC.

So you only like things that are popular, Sniper? Explains a lot.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jankarcop

FN has more quests, weapons, better rpg features, survival mode, better story,better writing, better companions, factions, better armor, etc.

It's just too mcuh better

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 with_teeth26

@Ballroompirate said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@Ballroompirate said:
@Jankarcop said:
@Ballroompirate said:

*Looks at Jankarcop post

dont have a legit response so you post a gif? Use words mate

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#47 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

The more Fallout, the better.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jankarcop

@clone01 said:
@Jankarcop said:

**** yes

@Pray_to_me said:

FO4 is extremely popular. It's just seen as the worst bethesda game accross every aggregate.

Pillars was better. A obsidian FO4 would be better.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@clone01 said:

meh. Its all opinion, but I tend to agree with this person. I enjoyed Fallout 3 far more than NV.

That's fine, but New Vegas was objectively more like Fallout and Fallout 2 than Fallout 3 was. Hell, almost nothing beyond the namesake and tone in Fallout 3 was anything like Fallout or Fallout 2.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clone01

@Jankarcop said:
@clone01 said:
@Jankarcop said:

**** yes

@Pray_to_me said:

FO4 is extremely popular. It's just seen as the worst bethesda game accross every aggregate.

Pillars was better. A obsidian FO4 would be better.

Run along Sniper. Grownups are talking.