IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

PS5's 800-GB storage is a huge downer and might be a big problem in the future. And even if some high speed internal ssd show up in the future for PS5, they will be more expensive than XBOX or PCs more practical lower speed and higher capacity ssds. Plus they will be a huge inconvenience as they have to be an internal storage, meaning you will have to open your console in order to install it. Furthermore, PS5 will not have any external storage solution for PS5 games at all.

it kinda reminds me Nintendo 64 with their more expensive catridge solution that, in the end, backfired at Nintendo.

Sony is not only lacking an answer to Gamepass, the problem is PS5 storage doesn't have enough storage capacity for a Gamepass-like service. I mean who wants a system, which can only have 8 games installed at a time.

I wanted to get PS5, but now i will have to wait and see how they gonna resolve this a huge hardware fook-up. Maybe they will be able to solve in a PRO version.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

That's some old-ass news...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Idk mate you have to wait this summer to find out whether the ssd on the market is compatible. Idk if xbox storage going to get cheaper when console is not outselling the PS5 (smaller install base) and its a custom ssd solution.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Not a problem to be honest, since there is zero games for the ps5 anyway..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39389 Posts

You can't be expecting alien tech to be an easy going. We need to be patient.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IvanGrozny

@sakaixx said:

Idk mate you have to wait this summer to find out whether the ssd on the market is compatible. Idk if xbox storage going to get cheaper when console is not outselling the PS5 (smaller install base) and its a custom ssd solution.

Xbox has basically PC standard ssd, so, of course, it will get cheaper. And then you have a Sony custom solution that will not be an industry mass produced standard. We saw the same mistake in Nintendo64 catridges or Gamecube DVDs, they do not use to get cheaper, totally contrary, they become a pain in the ass to manufacture over time.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44628 Posts

There's not enough exclusives to fill a drive up yet.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By IvanGrozny

@Telekill:

That's not beating a dead horse. That's a huge hardware fook up that can have long term consequences and make Sony lose big time this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

X1X seagate storage is double the price of a half decent PC NVMe. Tell me who rips who off?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

@ivangrozny: It's been a topic of discussion since before the PS5 launched. It's beating a dead horse.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IvanGrozny

@lamprey263 said:

There's not enough exclusives to fill a drive up yet.

But that's the real problem. If you don't have enough exclusives, you should offer a decent subscription service then. But how Sony can compete if you can only install 8 games at a time. That kills all digital advantage right there.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@sakaixx said:

Xbox has basically PC standard ssd, so, of course, it will get cheaper. And then you have a Sony custom solution that will not be an industry mass produced standard. We saw the same mistake in Nintendo64 catridges or Gamecube DVDs, they do not use to get cheaper, totally contrary, they become a pain in the ass to manufacture.

Oh I thought the xbox storage card thinggy is custom made by Seagate? Idk on Sony few SSD manufacturer already claiming their SSD is compatible with PS5 or just as fast like the WD SN850 or Samsung. But again have to wait for the summer for lazy ass Sony to patch the "fan".

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IvanGrozny

@Telekill said:

@ivangrozny: It's been a topic of discussion since before the PS5 launched. It's beating a dead horse.

But i don't think people actually realize that's a console race ending hardware flaw. I will not be surprised, if Sony switches their SSD support to a mainstream one for a PRO version

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IvanGrozny

@sakaixx said:
@ivangrozny said:
@sakaixx said:

Xbox has basically PC standard ssd, so, of course, it will get cheaper. And then you have a Sony custom solution that will not be an industry mass produced standard. We saw the same mistake in Nintendo64 catridges or Gamecube DVDs, they do not use to get cheaper, totally contrary, they become a pain in the ass to manufacture.

Oh I thought the xbox storage card thinggy is custom made by Seagate? Idk on Sony few SSD manufacturer already claiming their SSD is compatible with PS5 or just as fast like the WD SN850 or Samsung. But again have to wait for the summer for lazy ass Sony to patch the "fan".

Yeah no, Sony hasn't revealed any compatible solutions yet. Third-party SSD manufacturers can not make their internal ssd magically compatible with PS5 without Sony actively sharing their console architecture with them.

XBOX Seagate SSD are external and PC compatible, which makes them way more practical that Sony's internal ssds. And no, Seagate are not the only XBOX compatible ssds out there. You also have Samsung etc.

Anyway, I am a PC gamer. I am not here to argue over XBOX advantages, i don't give a shit over xbox.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

XBOX Seagate SSD are external and PC compatible, which makes them way more practical that Sony's internal ssds.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IvanGrozny

That's an expansion card, meanwhile all internal m2 ssds and usb3 external ssd are also compatible.

@lebanese_boy said:
@ivangrozny said:

XBOX Seagate SSD are external and PC compatible, which makes them way more practical that Sony's internal ssds.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@ivangrozny: Oh, I thought you were specifically talking about those expansion cards. My bad then.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It's the CP2077 of consoles. But hopefully a lot of people are having fun with it and Sony will continue to make it better.

I've never had a console that wasn't flawed in numerous ways. They are budget gaming electronics. The important thing is that they bring their owner sufficient joy for the cost

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Luckily I haven’t had any issues with storage. They do need to get on that though.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

Storage is not an issue when there is not much to play. 🙂

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

Not a problem to be honest, since there is zero games for the ps5 anyway..

Let me guess:

The xsx have more games, correct?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hardwenzen  Online

Sony's SSD is the Cell 2.0 except it does absolutely nothing to your gaming experience.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

@Random_Matt: both consoles use and require PCIe 4.0 SSDs. Microsoft just chose to make an external connector, and Sony went with a standard internal M.2 slot.

Seagate’s Storage Expansion card is priced in line with comparable PCIe 4.0 1TB SSDs.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Could care less if it’s even 500gb just be happy that Ms and Sony finally started putting ssd in their consoles

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen  Online

@sheep99 said:

Could care less if it’s even 500gb just be happy that Ms and Sony finally started putting ssd in their consoles

Not like they had any choice. The last few years, all we heard are people bitching about insanely long loading times on console when compared to PC. If they were to release a next gen system with an HDD, it would've been laughed at, and that's bad for pr.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

I just delete the games I do not need to play. It is not that much of a big deal.

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4387 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@sheep99 said:

Not like they had any choice. The last few years, all we heard are people bitching about insanely long loading times on console when compared to PC. If they were to release a next gen system with an HDD, it would've been laughed at, and that's bad for pr.

what you expect from a gen 1 sata interface that went all the way back to ps3 /360 era.

hell gen 3 was put in tail end of last gen console manf. pro,s x. but by then it was not worth code time to do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@UnnDunn said:

@Random_Matt: both consoles use and require PCIe 4.0 SSDs. Microsoft just chose to make an external connector, and Sony went with a standard internal M.2 slot.

Seagate’s Storage Expansion card is priced in line with comparable PCIe 4.0 1TB SSDs.

Not UK it isn't. Secondly, X1X is a budget SSD that runs off a Phison PS5019-E19T controller. Should be the cheapest thing sinced sliced bread.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@ermacness: With Gamepass..yes. You’re much more likely to have more games on your XsX.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ermacness

@sealionact: And with psnow (since we’re including subscriptions) you’re more than likely to have “double” of what is offered on GP. So no matter how you look at it, the ps5 have a bit more to offer in terms of software.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Sony's SSD is the Cell 2.0 except it does absolutely nothing to your gaming experience.

Well, the cell worsened your experience so I'd say that's a step up :)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:
@hardwenzen said:

Well, the cell worsened your experience so I'd say that's a step up :)

At the beginning when 3rd party devs didn't knew how to use it, yes. But later on, it wasn't an issue and we got the likes of GoW3, UC2, KZ2, etc all better looking than Xbox offerings while having a worse gpu and less memory.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Good thing the PS5 has no games.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

At the beginning when 3rd party devs didn't knew how to use it, yes. But later on, it wasn't an issue and we got the likes of GoW3, UC2, KZ2, etc all better looking than Xbox offerings while having a worse gpu and less memory.

True, developers did find a way around the inferior hardware near the end of its lifecycle.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sealionact

@ermacness: Psnow doesn’t have any ps5 games. Even if there’s a ps5 version and a PS4 version of a game....Sony cut ps5 owners out from playing ps5 games.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I've hit my PS5 limit already, deleted some games, moved PS4 titles to external USB drive, and once they enable the expansion port then I can expand it if I want later on.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ermacness

@sealionact:

And there’s xsx games out?

Because if I’m not mistaken, 95-99% of the xsx library are all played through BC capabilities.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ermacness

@sealionact:

And there’s xsx games out?

Because if I’m not mistaken, 95-99% of the xsx library are all played through BC capabilities with next gen enhancements.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sealionact

@ermacness: Yes, there’s xsx specific as well as xsx enhanced games and BC games with xsx enhancements on gp.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tribesjah
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts

Both the XSX and the PS5 have this problem. In fact, I would argue this is a bigger problem in the case of the XSX than in the case of PS5, given that at least (theoretically) you should be able to use a good off the rack nvme ssd on a PS5 (once that feature is turned on), which costs around a $100/$120 for 1TB. On the other hand, the Seagate SSD for the XSX is $220, and that SSD is nothing special (performance wise, Seagate also does not make the greatest SSD's). Hopefully in case of XSX more companies will be making the SSD's for that so that the prices drop to the $100/$120 that a decent 1TB nvme SSD should be

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

BS Jive in a nutshell....

Poo bovine brigade. lol :P

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Sony is too scared to open up the extra storage because they know it will melt consoles. The PS5 has insufficient cooling, but they conned everyone by keeping the extra storage locked so it couldn't be tested at launch. They knew the PS5 was a scam so they hid this from consumers, their a scumbag company.

No extra storage needed anyway, Piece of Shit 5 has no games so it's a non issue.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts
@tribesjah said:

Both the XSX and the PS5 have this problem. In fact, I would argue this is a bigger problem in the case of the XSX than in the case of PS5, given that at least (theoretically) you should be able to use a good off the rack nvme ssd on a PS5 (once that feature is turned on), which costs around a $100/$120 for 1TB. On the other hand, the Seagate SSD for the XSX is $220, and that SSD is nothing special (performance wise, Seagate also does not make the greatest SSD's). Hopefully in case of XSX more companies will be making the SSD's for that so that the prices drop to the $100/$120 that a decent 1TB nvme SSD should be

Grow a brain moron. XSX can store every game on a normal HDD, PS5 can only store last gen. So yeah, no comparison. But keep trying to spin that bullshit, and look like an even bigger fool.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tribesjah

@hitmanactual: Oooh we have a tough guy I see here. Wonder if you would have the b**ls to talk like that in real life. Probably got bullied your whole life in the real world lmao, and act all tough on here, so funny and pathetic.

Were you not so lazy, uneducated and had some more money to own multiple systems (which is easy BTW, they only cost $500...) you would not be so over invested or care about how one system does compared to another. Being a fanboy is sad m8.

Going back to the topic at hand, sure you can transfer to external hdd, but to then play it (with the XSX enhancements) it has to get transfered back over into internal ssd, which is a slow process (limited by the slow read speed of external hdd). So that is a massive inconvenience. Furthermore, this is a software feature, so you really think that at some point sony will not implement that feature in as well? If you do, you really are dumb. The crux of the issue is that it seems like XSX will only be able to take in these specialized SSDs (made specifically for XSX), while theoretically, since the PS5 has an nvme slot that can be accessed (relatively easily) once enabled theoretically you could buy any ssd that meets certain minimum qualifications and use it (more options means having to pay less for expanding your storage). Then again, based on your two posts in this thread, I doubt you have the intelligence to understand that.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 UnnDunn

@tribesjah said:

Both consoles require PCI 4.0 SSDs. Microsoft came up with a custom external connector for theirs, while Sony just used a standard M.2 internal slot. 1TB PCI 4.0 SSDs are around $200.

tribesjah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tribesjah

@UnnDunn: To be fair they are closer to $150 (Gen 4). I guess it all depends on what Sony does/decides to do and what minimum ssd performance metrics they will allow (or how slow of an nvme ssd will they allow to be installed on the PS5). The whole argument I guess is predicated on that, if they do not have ridiculous ssd performance requirements then you would be able to get relatively cheaper ones (such as a wb blue gen3 for $100) and be good to go. On the other hand if they require something that has the theoretical performance of what is currently in the PS5, then yeah the cost of expansion will be high. As a PC gamer who has been using ssds for years, I know that for gaming purposes you really do not need that fast of an SSD, since at the end of the day all that transfer speed is wasted if your Cpu can't deal with the data fast enough and you are limited to an extent by the cpu anyway. The PS5 may have a fast ssd but in my view part of that is just marketing/bragging rights nothing more (I could be mistaken) with little benefit to actual performance.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By UnnDunn

@tribesjah said:

@UnnDunn: To be fair they are closer to $150 (Gen 4). I guess it all depends on what Sony does/decides to do and what minimum ssd performance metrics they will allow (or how slow of an nvme ssd will they allow to be installed on the PS5). The whole argument I guess is predicated on that, if they do not have ridiculous ssd performance requirements then you would be able to get relatively cheaper ones (such as a wb blue gen3 for $100) and be good to go. On the other hand if they require something that has the theoretical performance of what is currently in the PS5, then yeah the cost of expansion will be high. As a PC gamer who has been using ssds for years, I know that for gaming purposes you really do not need that fast of an SSD, since at the end of the day all that transfer speed is wasted if your Cpu can't deal with the data fast enough and you are limited to an extent by the cpu anyway. The PS5 may have a fast ssd but in my view part of that is just marketing/bragging rights nothing more (I could be mistaken) with little benefit to actual performance.

The whole point of both consoles (PS5, Xbox Series S/X) is that they have dedicated hardware to handle the data transfer from ultra-fast PCIe Gen 4 SSDs, with the eventual goal loading assets in real time, thereby eliminating loading times altogether.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ermacness

@sealionact said:

@ermacness: Yes, there’s xsx specific as well as xsx enhanced games and BC games with xsx enhancements on gp.

Aren’t these the same thing? Because if it’s “xsx enhanced” then that’ll suggest that tho games were out before the console released, right?