So, uh, under our noses, Microsoft wanted to buy Nintendo again.

• 80 results
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#51  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: And it's like even Sony fans somehow forget, PlayStation has the capability to take down Nintendo. They showed this since console 1. Didn't matter if the N64 had the four players out of the box, let alone give 3D gaming the push it needed. Audiences chose platformers that weren't all 3D with a Bandicoot, or an Indiana Jones-like that controlled like a tank over a plumber controlling full 3D.

Didn't matter if the GameCube gave us one of the most prolific local multiplayer games of that gen. Audiences still picked the one with the most fighters (even ones based on the most popular anime of the time).

Sony still smoked Nintendo two gens in a row and they were newcomers at the time.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3349 Posts

Didnt MS attempted to buy nintendo before but Nintendo just laugh at them.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 nintendoboy16

@___gamemaster__ said:

Didnt MS attempted to buy nintendo before but Nintendo just laugh at them.

Correct! Link is even in my OP!

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13670 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

@nintendoboy16: Nothing Nintendo or PlayStation has done for a long time has been particularly “pro-consumer”.

There’s certainly nothing pro-consumer about exclusivity for a a single device.

Somehow that doesn't apply to Microsoft, who killed off Starfield for PS5? And anything Bethesda Sony (and Nintendo) get is ID Software classic re-releases (recently Quake II), alongside Mojang's Minecraft?

Microsoft's tactic isn't pro-consumer either. If consolidation of the industry is what it takes to "end the console wars" like Phil wants to. Then let the war continue, I say...

At the end of the day Gamepass and availability across more devices is a level of pro-consumer the industry isn't used to and the Judge said this herself.

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1082 Posts

@nintendoboy16: What Scott said is not entirely the case. The Gamecube lacked storage capacity compared to DVD, therefore some games wasn't released on the platform, lack of buttons on the Gamecube pad didn't help and Nintendo's online service then and now is still pretty shit.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 nintendoboy16

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Somehow that doesn't apply to Microsoft, who killed off Starfield for PS5? And anything Bethesda Sony (and Nintendo) get is ID Software classic re-releases (recently Quake II), alongside Mojang's Minecraft?

Microsoft's tactic isn't pro-consumer either. If consolidation of the industry is what it takes to "end the console wars" like Phil wants to. Then let the war continue, I say...

At the end of the day Gamepass and availability across more devices is a level of pro-consumer the industry isn't used to and the Judge said this herself.

I don't give a bucktooth **** about what that judge said. Judges, like police, can be compromised. Doesn't go against what I said about MS wanting to consolidate the industry and a move like this would piss off the Japanese government.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By nintendoboy16
@BIOKILLER123 said:

@nintendoboy16: What Scott said is not entirely the case. The Gamecube lacked storage capacity compared to DVD, therefore some games wasn't released on the platform, lack of buttons on the Gamecube pad didn't help and Nintendo's online service then and now is still pretty shit.

Scott addressed that in that same video cited. Hell, every console had bottlenecks back then (DVD's be damned, PS2's hardware was overall weaker than both GCN and Xbox, and you can tell when games like RE4, Killer 7 and Sonic Heroes had to be ported out of business obligations). Doesn't stop the fact that the sales and attach rate of the GameCube was among the worst that gen and that too was a major factor.

Try getting Rogue Leader or F-Zero GX to run on something like PS2. It would be a disaster.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HalcyonScarlet

@nintendoboy16 said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

I don't give a bucktooth **** about what that judge said. Judges, like police, can be compromised. Doesn't go against what I said about MS wanting to consolidate the industry and a move like this would piss off the Japanese government.

That's convenient.

I don't really care tbh. To be fair this was never going to happen.

Listen, I also don't care about MS buying companies up. The way the console industry works right now, is anti-competitive and is anti-consumer. So MS buying companies up is just moving the shit show in a different direction, not a worse or better direction, just side ways.

Listen you know the console industry is deeply unhealthy when it would be impossible for a new comer to get involved. And that's what the console industry is.

Imo, third party exclusivity, needs to be made illegal. We've been conditioned over the decades to celebrate it on behalf of Sony, MS and Nintendo. But it's anti-competitive. A company can never grow or prosper when they can't even get their hands on the big brands of games.

If all companies involved could only compete with 1st party content and share 3rd party content, the industry would be about quality, not power.

The main reason MS is buying studios up now, is limit the impact of third party exclusives. MS has money, Sony has the market share. Honestly what can MS do? No matter what games they release, if they're losing out on big brands like SFV, Final Fantasy etc, there'll never be any growth. The worst thing is, Sony didn't need to do this. They have the market share, they didn't have to strangle the competition too.

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#59 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 507 Posts

@Litchie said:
@worlds_apart said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

As someone who always tries to look at the positive outcome of these insane ludicrous deals that have no place in this industry:

Finally, Nintendo games on PC... yay!

Not yay! Games are worse (and I don't just mean by my SEGA example above, I literally forgot about the Redfall fiasco), like worse than Chibi Robo Ziplash, Star Fox Zero and F-Zero 99 combined. And Japan disowns Nintendo more than the MacLeods did Connor.

F-Zero 99 is not good? I was considering buying a Switch for it.

It's pretty fun actually. But buying a Switch and pay for an online service only to play this game sounds pretty insane. It's just an updated SNES game with online.

You're right. But damn do I love me some F-Zero :(

BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1082 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Sometime ago I did watch Scott's vid as I was for most part, referring to his end summary points. Furthermore, what didn't help Nintendo is their image on how the system looked, having no DVD and most people purchased Nintendo games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#61  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Microsoft are delusional, for a few reasons:

1. Nintendo laughed out Microsoft's buyout offer back in the early 2000s, when Nintendo were in a pretty bad financial shape. Nintendo is now way bigger than they were back then, so they're going to laugh even harder today.

2. Any foreign buyout offers for a big Japanese company would have to be approved by Japanese parliament. They would almost certainly never allow a big Japanese company like Nintendo to be brought out by a foreign corporation.

3. Even in the extremely unlikely scenario that Japan somehow allows a foreign buyout, MS would have to compete with the Saudis, who also have their eyes on Nintendo. The Saudis are filthy rich and worth trillions, just like MS.

4. The FTC and CMA tried to stop MS from buying Activision due to monopoly concerns. They're almost certainly going to block a Nintendo buyout to prevent a monopoly.

5. It could potentially unravel their Activision purchase. That was reluctantly allowed to go ahead because MS cited Nintendo as evidence against FTC and CMA monopoly claims. If MS makes moves to buy Nintendo, that would prove the FTC and CMA were right all along, potentially unravelling their Activision purchase.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Jag85 said:

1. Nintendo laughed out Microsoft's buyout offer back in the early 2000s, when Nintendo were in a pretty bad financial shape. Nintendo is now way bigger than they were back then, so they're going to laugh even harder today.

2. Any foreign buyout offers for a big Japanese company would have to be approved by Japanese parliament. They would almost certainly never allow a big Japanese company like Nintendo to be brought out by a foreign corporation.

3. Even in the extremely unlikely scenario that Japan somehow allows a foreign buyout, MS would have to compete with the Saudis, who also have their eyes on Nintendo. The Saudis are filthy rich and worth trillions, just like MS.

4. The FTC and CMA tried to stop MS from buying Activision due to monopoly concerns. They're almost certainly going to block a Nintendo buyout to prevent a monopoly.

5. It could potentially unravel their Activision purchase. That was reluctantly allowed to go ahead because MS cited Nintendo as evidence against FTC and CMA monopoly claims. If MS makes moves to buy Nintendo, that would prove the FTC and CMA were right all along, potentially unravelling their Activision purchase.

I think MS were just throwing names out there. It was always highly unlikely. But I don't get number 5, the chances of MS going after anyone anytime soon are tiny. A lot of what was leaked is old so probably before they even got or went after Activision. I think MS will just go after studios or small publishers now. I honestly don't see them going after anyone big for a long, long time... I'm talking 10 years.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#63 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@Jag85 said:

This is false.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6715 Posts

MS would be wasting billions and for what kids games. Yeah pretty dumb, but its not going to happen, so all this is for nought anyway.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

I doubt this is real. Whomever wrote that letter to Takeshi is writing like a child.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9564 Posts

@tjandmia: it's real, Spencer's statements and all. These are revelations from the massive leak recently.

Most posters in this thread are not even touching on the most striking aspects, such as Microsoft's ex board of directors member, investment company ValueAct, purchasing shares of Nintendo and encouraging them to make business decisions that will lead them into a vulnerable spot for a Microsoft acquisition offer

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3750 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: I noticed the wording that made me think of a hostile takeover.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

@shellcase86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd be OK with that, to be frank. Nintendo sure ain't doing a whole lot with Nintendo, but MS would put them to work.

And port some of those great Nintendo games to PC and Xbox! Oh man can you imagine a 20-plus year Nintendo library getting put onto Game Pass?! That'd be awesome.

Yes, they've been busy putting their dozens of studios to work as releases have been flying left and right. Oh wait, no, that hasn't been the case.

Yeah that's fair; they might not make much, but at least they're not as bad as Sony. That platform is a barren wasteland right now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#69 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Yeah that's fair; they might not make much, but at least they're not as bad as Sony. That platform is a barren wasteland right now.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9564 Posts
@tjandmia said:

@X_CAPCOM_X: I noticed the wording that made me think of a hostile takeover.

Their plan could possibly arrive there. Notably, Spencer said that was a last resort they wouldn't like it to come to. In his words, he would rather play the "long game" with Nintendo.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jag85

@Pedro:

Wrong.

Japan tightens rules on foreign stakes in 518 firms

The list of Japanese companies protected from foreign buyouts include big Japanese game companies like Sony, Nintendo, Sega, Capcom, Konami and Square Enix. Any foreign buyout offer would have to be approved by the Japanese government, which will almost certainly block any foreign buyout attempts.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

I'd be OK with that, to be frank. Nintendo sure ain't doing a whole lot with Nintendo, but MS would put them to work.

And port some of those great Nintendo games to PC and Xbox! Oh man can you imagine a 20-plus year Nintendo library getting put onto Game Pass?! That'd be awesome.

Yes, they've been busy putting their dozens of studios to work as releases have been flying left and right. Oh wait, no, that hasn't been the case.

in terms of developer activity as of now. It is Nintendo > MS > Sony in terms of output.

Nintendo has had 5 notable releases and 4 notable rereleases. The notable releases are Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta Origins, Tears of the Kingdom, Pikmin 4 and F-Zero 99. Not giving them any credit for the rereleases though, no matter how well recieved Metroid Prime Remastered was.

MS has had 3 notable games in Hi Fi Rush, Starfield and unfortunately Redfall. Forza Motorsport coming soon.

Sony has been a desolate wasteland since GoW:R last year, hopefully Spiderman 2 redeems them but I am not into superhero games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Jag85
@Maroxad said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

in terms of developer activity as of now. It is Nintendo > MS > Sony in terms of output.

Nintendo has had 5 notable releases and 4 notable rereleases. The notable releases are Fire Emblem Engage, Bayonetta Origins, Tears of the Kingdom, Pikmin 4 and F-Zero 99. Not giving them any credit for the rereleases though, no matter how well recieved Metroid Prime Remastered was.

MS has had 3 notable games in Hi Fi Rush, Starfield and unfortunately Redfall. Forza Motorsport coming soon.

Sony has been a desolate wasteland since GoW:R last year, hopefully Spiderman 2 redeems them but I am not into superhero games.

Is this the first year in a long time that MS has had a higher first-party output than Sony? But can't say I'm too surprised, given how Sony nowadays only make expensive cinematic AAA productions and don't make mid-tier AA productions anymore.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@Maroxad said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Is this the first year in a long time that MS has had a higher first-party output than Sony? But can't say I'm too surprised, given how Sony nowadays only make expensive cinematic AAA productions and don't make mid-tier AA productions anymore.

I think they beat them in 2021 as well.

Age of Empires 4, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Flight Simulator.

vs Ratchet and Clank and Returnal

They easily had the best output of all of the big 3. Hell, I would argue that of any 1st party they had the best output that year.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#75 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

Consolidation at this level isn't healthy for a free market.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#76  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14502 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Way less. Minus the fact you need a willing seller, Japan would take umbrage with a foreign purchaser. Plus there would be a number of megalith companies wanting to go after the Mario (Apple, NVIDIA, Tencent, Disney, Amazon, etc.)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22415 Posts

I mean I'm an Xbox fan, but I don't want this to happen. First of all, less competition. And secondly, for all Nintendo's faults, it's the last proper old school video game company imo, and I don't want that to change.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 nintendoboy16

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I mean I'm an Xbox fan, but I don't want this to happen. First of all, less competition. And secondly, for all Nintendo's faults, it's the last proper old school video game company imo, and I don't want that to change.

As I said before, why I was so against them buying Activision.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Jag85
@Maroxad said:

I think they beat them in 2021 as well.

Age of Empires 4, Halo Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Forza Horizon 5, Flight Simulator.

vs Ratchet and Clank and Returnal

They easily had the best output of all of the big 3. Hell, I would argue that of any 1st party they had the best output that year.

Just checked Metacritic annual top publisher rankings, and MS did top 2021.

Speaking of Metacritic publisher rankings, here are the annual top publishers in the last few years:

2019 - Capcom

2020 - Sega

2021 - Microsoft

2022 - Sony

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1934 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

This would be outstanding news for the industry IMO. I've been pushing / wanting this for a while. Would give Sony the proper competition they need.

Microsoft has the console hardware but not the games

Nintendo has the games but garbage hardware.

Sony has both.

Them teaming up would go head 2 head with Sony perfectly. And you'd only need 2 consoles (if not going for PC)

And Nintendo games would look a whole better. Nintendo fans win (because they get better hardware), Xbox fans win (because they get Nintendo games), Sony fans win (because Sony will be on the edge and not coast their way to winning another generation) and PC fan wins because that means we get Nintendo games with much better graphics, built for proper modern hardware.

No.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6857 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@shellcase86 said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

Fair point. Both points can be correct.