So what does SW think of Starfield so far?

• 188 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56299 Posts

This thread will focus only on Starfield's gameplay reveal and what y'all think?

I'm slightly impressed. It looked like another generic space-explorer shooter at first, but I do like some of the other features and side-quest type stuff they announced later on in the showing. It ain't no Star Citizen but the space gameplay was alright. Traveling in Hyperspace is what I wanna see/do.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17854 Posts

I only hopped around the video in fairness. It looks like fallout in space with tweaked gameplay.

....I see no problem with this at all. I just hope they execute it well. It looked good from the bits i saw.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16582 Posts

@davillain: how is it not star citizen? This game looks like a completed star citizen, those people who paid for star citizen got scammed.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11665 Posts

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

It looks okay. It's Bethesda, so i'll keep my expectations even further in check.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11196 Posts

I'll play it. It's just looking pretty, well... Bethesda. I don't see myself dedicating a lot of time to it like an Elder Scrolls game

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 blaznwiipspman1

also the game felt a bit choppy. With a few years and some mods, this game is going to be on a completely different level.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39469 Posts

I have been saying this for over two years. There is zero chance of this game being bad, because Bethesda wants it to be as successful as ES and Fallout. You cannot put minimal effort into your first game of the series, and expect it to be a successful cash cow. They've put as much effort as possible and had the time needed to develop the game. It will be a masterpiece IF you're into these kind of games.

The only negative i saw is gun handling. Nothing moves, and it looks like you're firing a toy gun. Yes yes, futuristic weapons with no recoil cuz its needed in low gravity blah blah blah. But i want it to look and sound impactful, and what was shown, it sure as hell wasn't it.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts

It looks pretty ambitious, with that said, I shiver at the amount of bugs it will have.

Miyomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Miyomatic
Member since 2005 • 3541 Posts

Looks like a 6-7 out of 10 to me.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44376 Posts

Really liked what I saw. Pretty much what I was expecting. Nice to see some ship flying and combat thrown in there. Very much still hyped for it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: It’s still months out.

With mods, it’ll be incredible.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

It looks cool, but having said that I've never been a fan of BGS's style of games... I've never been able to get into Fallout or Elder Scrolls (believe me, I've tried many times!). So whilst I'm keen to check Starfield out, I'm very cautious because it's still that same style of game.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

It looks like a passion project created by art students using free assets.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

Not that exciting. The combat was too standard. It's supposed to be a visionary sci-fi game. Hopefully there are more gadgets later in the game. Ship combat did nothing for me. Lacked energy.

Enviroments were cool, main city was impressive!

I think it may be more fun to play than what can be shown in footage as the main draw is the scale and getting immersed in that world. If planets you discover are fun to explore, that would be enough to me tbh. I just hope they don't feel generic.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56299 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I have been saying this for over two years. There is zero chance of this game being bad, because Bethesda wants it to be as successful as ES and Fallout. You cannot put minimal effort into your first game of the series, and expect it to be a successful cash cow. They've put as much effort as possible and had the time needed to develop the game. It will be a masterpiece IF you're into these kind of games.

The only negative i saw is gun handling. Nothing moves, and it looks like you're firing a toy gun. Yes yes, futuristic weapons with no recoil cuz its needed in low gravity blah blah blah. But i want it to look and sound impactful, and what was shown, it sure as hell wasn't it.

My biggest concern is how they're going to handle everything outside of it? Is it going to be Elder Scrolls with guns in space (ala Fallout in space) or is it going to have its own identity?

Creation engine is looking really dated mechanically and I expected a much better engine by now. During the fights, enemies just stand there, running around, with no cover, turning their backs towards the enemy. A little glad they chose a Fallout RPG base since perks and traits are a thing but even the weapons seem to just reskin. (SMG -> double-barrel shotgun that kind of thing)

It's hard to tell since this is the first early gameplay trailer so they have to fly conservatively so it doesn't make some people sick but they did the thing where you control the ship itself (single entity) rather than being a full blown pilot controlling a ship. It's fine since the latter is a much more complex mechanic and it's understandable that they didn't have much time with it.

But since this is coming to GP day one, this game doesn't have much to lose.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts

As predicted, it's just another BGS game i.e. sh*t. Ghost and wenzen are both crying behind the scenes.

marleywhatkidg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 marleywhatkidg
Member since 2022 • 7 Posts

1K pLaNeT$

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

@davillain said:
@hardwenzen said:

My biggest concern is how they're going to handle everything outside of it? Is it going to be Elder Scrolls with guns in space (ala Fallout in space) or is it going to have its own identity?

Creation engine is looking really dated mechanically and I expected a much better engine by now. During the fights, enemies just stand there, running around, with no cover, turning their backs towards the enemy. A little glad they chose a Fallout RPG base since perks and traits are a thing but even the weapons seem to just reskin. (SMG -> double-barrel shotgun that kind of thing)

It's hard to tell since this is the first early gameplay trailer so they have to fly conservatively so it doesn't make some people sick but they did the thing where you control the ship itself (single entity) rather than being a full blown pilot controlling a ship. It's fine since the latter is a much more complex mechanic and it's understandable that they didn't have much time with it.

But since this is coming to GP day one, this game doesn't have much to lose.

Their engine is outdated, but i am just glad that the game doesn't look like ass. And because this game is gonna be mods heavy, i think it'll be fine. AI does look like trash, tho.

Don't think its a reskin, but more of a mix of their core design and other titles such as NMS. What was shown of Starfield is exactly what i expect from Andromeda.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#20 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59215 Posts

A ship you can customize!!! Shooty bang bang! 20fps! Completely imbalanced! 1000 planets of nothing with copy-pasta quests!

It's gonna be great.

blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blaznwiipspman1

@uninspiredcup: just like Belden ring..

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:

As predicted, it's just another BGS game i.e. sh*t. Ghost and wenzen are both crying behind the scenes.

Crying for what? Outside of the gunplay and AI, everything looked great.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

It looks like my dream game. It is like Bethesda went into my subconscious and created the perfect game for me.

marleywhatkidg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 marleywhatkidg
Member since 2022 • 7 Posts

iT$ PERFECT

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10509 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

A ship you can customize!!! Shooty bang bang! 20fps! Completely imbalanced! 1000 planets of nothing with copy-pasta quests!

It's gonna be great.

cup is half empty

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8322 Posts

I thought it looked good. No Man's Sky mixed with Fallout. It looks pretty much how I expected. I liked that jet pack they showed.

definitely going to play it.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#27 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

Fallout... in space! Can't wait to build and explore. Looks like it's going to be fantastic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70051 Posts

It is interesting.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen

I hope flying is space is atmospheric and there's a bunch of abandoned ships to explore and such. Don't want to be constantly on a planet.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Starfield looked horrible, but wow Forza looked amazing

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

Absolutely no surprises.

FPS: I expected mediocre gunplay, I saw mediocre gunplay.
RPG: I expected the TES character system (Raise by Use+Skyrim Perks), combined with Fallout 4's system. And it seems we got that too.
World: 1000 planets? Yeah... expect content density to be trash yet again...
Customization: After the dismal receptoin of Fallout 4's base building. Does anyone really wanna go through this again? I would play a Bethesda if I wanted to explore, not build bases. I got games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld for that stuff.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20148 Posts

I'm half-way to being sold on it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

The Star Wars mods are going to be insane

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5178 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Absolutely no surprises.

FPS: I expected mediocre gunplay, I saw mediocre gunplay.

RPG: I expected the TES character system (Raise by Use+Skyrim Perks), combined with Fallout 4's system. And it seems we got that too.

World: 1000 planets? Yeah... expect content density to be trash yet again...

Customization: After the dismal receptoin of Fallout 4's base building. Does anyone really wanna go through this again? I would play a Bethesda if I wanted to explore, not build bases. I got games like Dwarf Fortress and Rimworld for that stuff.

This is basically how I feel. Everything just seemed really average. Will definitely wait for reviews on this one.

I hated base building in Fallout 4, I do not want more of that, I want solid gameplay with rich characters and a great story.

I hope the bethesda magic of glitches and unstable gameplay don't show up. I'm done putting up with that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hardwenzen

When our boy Todd said that you can land ANYWHERE on the planet and that there's over 1000 planets in the game, never forget.

Loading Video...
AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3233 Posts

Not as excited as I thought I would be for the game. The shooting gameplay doesn't look that interesting.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2956 Posts

It is Fallout in space which is exactly what I was hoping for. It also reminded me of Mass Effect when the main character entered the space station, which is also a very good thing. Absolutely loved what I saw. I don't mind that the animations were choppy at times, because the gameplay, style and feel all seem top notch.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

My hype for the game has decreased after seeing the footage today. It looks like if Fallout, Destiny, and No Man's Sky had a three-way and produced a baby. And I'm not a fan of any of those games, so meh.

I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but unless I see something more exciting than what they showed today, I think that I will probably now be skipping this game, and just wait for the next Elder Scrolls.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#39 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Underwhelming. There are some aspects of it that looked interesting like the explorationa nd kiring ship crew but the gameplay as a whole looked like No Mans Sky level of boring.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

A mix of fallout, mass effect, no man's sky and the outer worlds is what this is.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

So let me get this right...A FPS/RPG where gunplay and AI is bad is fine? I mean what's left in the gameplay then? Either way, apart from that the world/environment looks bad, the color palette is garbage and most probably the game design/level design it self would be crap too along with sh*t load of bugs.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

This looks to be “the sum of it’s parts” type of game. Everything put together will make it a truly amazing (I’m guessing) experience.

That said, they need to clean up the gun play, space combat, and AI. Those looked rough.

All in all, looks like 2023 is going to be a banger.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34713 Posts

You guys hyped this. lol

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

It's everything I was hoping for, and more.

Super excited that we can actually fly ships and enter and exit atmosphere on our own; I was just sort of assuming they'd make them into loading screens.

Felt a lot of things in this game: nostalgia for the character creation and NPC interaction, impressed with the visuals, excited for the ship and settlement building...just nothing but good feelings.

Hard not to make Star Citizen comparisons, another game I am waiting for. Balls in your court, Chris Roberts! Better get a move on!

Hot damn, haven't been this hyped for a game in years. Since I was a kid, really.

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Fallout... in space! Can't wait to build and explore. Looks like it's going to be fantastic.

Yup! That's what I felt as well, also a bit of Elder Scrolls (Oblivion, in particular). Although it looks like they got more than four voice actors 😁

Very excited.

@hardwenzen said:

A mix of fallout, mass effect, no man's sky and the outer worlds is what this is.

When you put it like that, it sounds like the perfect game!

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Looked and performed last gen. PS4 first-party looked better, especially the character models. Seems like this was a Series S version.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts
@Star67 said:

This is basically how I feel. Everything just seemed really average. Will definitely wait for reviews on this one.

I hated base building in Fallout 4, I do not want more of that, I want solid gameplay with rich characters and a great story.

I hope the bethesda magic of glitches and unstable gameplay don't show up. I'm done putting up with that.

Yup. I personally am just fed up of the mediocrity Bethesda games deal with.

The 2 really big and important open World games to come out in the past 5 years or so were Breath of the Wild and Witcher 3. Both really brought something to the table.

• Breath of the Wild had unparalleled interactivity, as well as a physics and chemistry engine.
  • Witcher 3 had side quests so well written they eclipse the main stories of other games.

What does Bethesda's games even have to offer anymore? Even when it came out, Fallout 4 felt out of date, obsolete, pointless.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6956 Posts

If the scale and scope from a story and interest point of view are up to snuff then this could be great. Also the combat needs to be worthy, not Elden Ring but not Witcher series either.

If it is 1,000 planets of nothingness and weak combat, then it will be like Skyrim which made fighting dragons shockingly easy and boring while walking around endlessly for no reason..

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

When our boy Todd said that you can land ANYWHERE on the planet and that there's over 1000 planets in the game, never forget.

Loading Video...

Classic!!! but this one is amazing too!!! lol

Loading Video...

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8877 Posts

There's enough cow salt in this thread to give the dead sea a run for its money...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hardwenzen
@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

So let me get this right...A FPS/RPG where gunplay and AI is bad is fine? I mean what's left in the gameplay then? Either way, apart from that the world/environment looks bad, the color palette is garbage and most probably the game design/level design it self would be crap too along with sh*t load of bugs.

Exploration, easthetic, quests and characters/writing. Gunplay was bad in Fallout New Vegas. That didn't make the game any worse than it was. And AI is garbage in 90% of games available. No time to be worried about the industry's standard.

And again, Fallout NV had a shitload of bugs, so what? I can deal with bugs if the game is great, and from what i've seen here, it looks solid. Also gonna be playing it on pc, so the official and un-official patches will be a thing. Mods will also improve on what's lacking.