Sony is increasing YEARLY PS+ sub prices : 20$ more for Essential, 35$ for Extra and 40$ more for Premium

• 184 results
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39441 Posts

@super600 said:

Nearly 200 CAD for the most expensive tier of PS+ in canada. Even the lowest tier might cost over 100 CAD if you use currency converters. I hope sony backtracks from this price hike.

It will be $109.99 for the cheapest service.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By hardwenzen

Decided to check what's happening on the woke hole resetera, and looks like the woke hipsters aren't happy either.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#103 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I think its bs, unless it helps get better games to release on it. Eitherway there is always some discounts that happen so i wouldnt pay that price anyways. I would just wait for black friday or when ever its discounted and buy like 4 or 5 of them.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 682 Posts

@hardwenzen: It is only a 30% increase if you pay the 30% increase.

I only pay the lower tier as that is all I want and I have never yet paid full price for the lower tier. I expect it will increase from the £3/month I pay to £4/month.

See their starting prices as the start of the haggle.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

The more I think about this,the more pissed off I am lol. Didn't they already raise the price of games from $60 to $70 "to make sure developers can continue making great games" or something like that? I want to be pissed off at Sony alone but surely this has to do with all of Microsofts acquisitions a little bit. They've taken a big chunk of games away from PlayStation only gamers. Big loss of money for Sony. They gotta get it back somehow.. either way,get your shit together Sony!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#106 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70034 Posts

@silentchief: Last I checked everyone was not increasing their prices by 33+%.🙃

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6458 Posts

@uitravioience said:

The more I think about this,the more pissed off I am lol. Didn't they already raise the price of games from $60 to $70 "to make sure developers can continue making great games" or something like that? I want to be pissed off at Sony alone but surely this has to do with all of Microsofts acquisitions a little bit. They've taken a big chunk of games away from PlayStation only gamers. Big loss of money for Sony. They gotta get it back somehow.. either way,get your shit together Sony!

Sony still pay for more exclusives than MS has made acquisitions, to think otherwise is foolish.

This has nothing to do with MS. This is just pure greed from Sony, first they raised the price of their games, then the price of its console, and now heavily raised the price of its subscription service. over $500 for its VR and $200 to play games on the shitter, Sony are trying to (no pun intended) milk you guys dry.

Sony are just being greedy fucks, and by trying to blame this on MS you're basically making excuses for them. That's how they keep getting away with this🤦‍♂️

pixieValerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#108 pixieValerie
Member since 2019 • 363 Posts

Oh my god. Greed at its finest. Glad I stopped paying for Playstation Plus years ago and makes me thankful I can avoid this garbage on PC.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

@last_lap: I'm not trying to make excuses for Sony. Just trying to wrap my head around this obviously stupid move on their part. I'm actually surprised at how fn dumb Sony is right now. With the loss of a bunch of publishers and developers, Sony should be gathering all the good will they can with gamers. Now is definitely not the time to raise prices on anything PlayStation related. Shit, now is the time to drop a bomb like free online gaming and free cloud storage. Jim Ryan or whoever is making these decisions has to go. Like yesterday.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#110 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

So let me get this straight, and i hope sealionact corrects me if i am wrong on something. You increase the price by a fuckton, have literally not announced anything new for your system in ages, don't even pretend to have an E3 presentation, the only game from them in 2023 is Spiderman2 and the future is 5 live service games.

What in the actual flying **** is this?

To coin a word you use often... "Pathetic".

But don't worry everyone... Sales and the numbers are great.

Oh and soon you'll be about to remote play your PS5 games on some old phone they stuck inbetween a dualsense they sawed in half. FOR $200. And you can't even stream the cloud games you're about to pay up the ass for on it. :-S

Silver lining, I heard the new Gran Turismo movie was "rollicking good fun" or whatever these newspaper reviews say. :-P

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44194 Posts

Now I really mean it...

Poo, Poo bovine brigade. lololol :P

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6458 Posts

@uitravioience said:

@last_lap: I'm not trying to make excuses for Sony. Just trying to wrap my head around this obviously stupid move on their part. I'm actually surprised at how fn dumb Sony is right now. With the loss of a bunch of publishers and developers, Sony should be gathering all the good will they can with gamers. Now is definitely not the time to raise prices on anything PlayStation related. Shit, now is the time to drop a bomb like free online gaming and free cloud storage. Jim Ryan or whoever is making these decisions has to go. Like yesterday.

The problem is that Sony has gotten too big again, they are drunk with power, and now think they can raise the price of anything and get away with it, and they can. There was no pushback from gamers when they raised the price of its games and consoles, so of course Jimbo was going to try this next.

Next up will most likely be a price rise for the PSVR2.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 HalcyonScarlet

Man, when PlayStation is really popular, Sony REALLY takes it out on the fans.

In a statement they said it's so they can continue to bring great games... I thought they said that about the £10 extra they added to PS5 games.

So how many different ways to PS gamers pay to "help make new games".

I mean Sony's games and services are extremely popular, so what is the need to milk. It's an expensive console, with expensive games and now expensive services. Something has to give.

I'm not trying to sound bias, but I get the expense of Gamepass Ultimate. All MSs games day one at no extra cost and GP: U includes pretty much everything you need, games and services. Dropping a game like Starfield for one example, day one is no joke. It must have cost so much. Then the new FM game will be constantly expanding with new content. So a gamer can get a cheap Series S and GP: U and be set for the gen.

But the way I see it, Sony NEEDS to consider some day ones, because otherwise it's going to look like they're taking the piss at some point. If I was Sony, I would have put this off until the live service games came out, and used them as the reason and drop those day one. They could have sold that idea.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

That is a ridiculous price increase, I don’t understand what their reasons are to justify that much of an increase overnight.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Pedro

@HalcyonScarlet: Companies will keep pushing until the consumer pushes back. Until then, it is fair game. 😏

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

So let me get this straight, and i hope sealionact corrects me if i am wrong on something. You increase the price by a fuckton, have literally not announced anything new for your system in ages, don't even pretend to have an E3 presentation, the only game from them in 2023 is Spiderman2 and the future is 5 live service games.

What in the actual flying **** is this?

this is what happens when your brand power becomes so strong in a market that you can do whatever you want and the customers will still pay..

and some cows actually want Xbox to leave the home console market so that Sony can have a true monopoly.. 🙄 idiots..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Pedro

@Antwan3K said:

this is what happens when your brand power becomes so strong in a market that you can do whatever you want and the customers will still pay..

and some cows actually want Xbox to leave the home console market so that Sony can have a true monopoly.. 🙄

Sony being the only option in the market is what is best for gamers. 😎

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By SecretPolice

You'd think Mr. Concerned, would be all over this one? ;o

lolol :P

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1479 Posts

Get rid of Jim.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#120  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34702 Posts

But it already wasn't worth it.

Can't blame em though. If people were dumb enough before, why not test the waters again.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8273 Posts
@SecretPolice said:

nah, this is bad PlayStation news.. he'll just throw out a couple "lols" then leave the thread..

meanwhile he'll search the internet for bad Xbox news, create a thread about bad Xbox news, and then spend the next 5 pages arguing with lems about the bad Xbox news..

y'know.. "unbiased"..

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#122 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

Stuff like this definitely makes me want to go back to the PC ecosystem and just drop Playstation hardware altogether. Their first party games will be on pc eventually, and it isn't like I am buying them day 1 at $70 anyways because I don't agree with their price increase on games. Locking cloud saves and online play behind a $80 paywall is ludicrous.

Between this and the proprietary Playstation Link headset for their $200 streaming only device, Sony is looking pretty bad in my eyes right now.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SecretPolice

@Antwan3K said:
@SecretPolice said:

nah, this is bad PlayStation news.. he'll just throw out a couple "lols" then leave the thread..

meanwhile he'll search the internet for bad Xbox news, create a thread about bad Xbox news, and then spend the next 5 pages arguing with lems about the bad Xbox news..

y'know.. "unbiased"..

Whhhhaaaat you smokin man? ;o

He's like an Xbox Ambassador and his #1 Concern is the welfare and promotion of MS/Xbox dontchaknow. lololol :P

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#124 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2954 Posts

Sad indeed. Thanks God I have Gamepass instead. Which is already 10 times better value anyway.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 HalcyonScarlet

@SecretPolice said:

MS does it, it's arm chair business time for a whole thread.

Sony does it, it's "ah... what are you gonna do". XD

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6989 Posts
@Pedro said:

Just about everyone has raised their prices or is raising them further. From Gamepass to Disney Plus and Netflix.

That's not including housing, food and gas all of which have gone up more than 30% the past 3 years.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts
@hardwenzen said:
@super600 said:

Nearly 200 CAD for the most expensive tier of PS+ in canada. Even the lowest tier might cost over 100 CAD if you use currency converters. I hope sony backtracks from this price hike.

It will be $109.99 for the cheapest service.

Probably not. Because the cheapest one at its current price is pretty much 10 dollars higher in Canada compared to the US. It would be insane if they priced it at 110 dollars but I don’t see that happening

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Pedro

@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:

Just about everyone has raised their prices or is raising them further. From Gamepass to Disney Plus and Netflix.

That's not including housing, food and gas all of which have gone up more than 30% the past 3 years.

Now, try using facts to back your claim and be mindful of the goalpost you are moving. 😂

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
@silentchief said:
@Pedro said:

Now, try using facts to back your claim and be mindful of the goalpost you are moving. 😂

List one thing I said that wasn't a fact? I'm not the one with my head in the sand that thinks Sony is the only one who raised prices 🤣🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Pedro

😂@silentchief said:

List one thing I said that wasn't a fact? I'm not the one with my head in the sand that thinks Sony is the only one who raised prices 🤣🤣

Your words

Everyone is raising prices... it's called inflation.

I understand you are upset that Sony raised their prices by 33+%. Now spin. 😂

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

I thought it would get a hike at some point but not so soon. Interesting to see how it effects the numbers.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Silentchief

@Pedro said:
😂@silentchief said:

Your words

Everyone is raising prices... it's called inflation.

I understand you are upset that Sony raised their prices by 33+%. Now spin. 😂

Literally everyone I mentioned raised priced though 🤣.

Explain what I said wasn't true? Do I enjoy price hikes? No. All the more reason not to rely on subscription services.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Pedro
@silentchief said:

Literally everyone I mentioned raised priced though 🤣.

Explain what I said wasn't true? Do I enjoy price hikes? No. All the more reason not to rely on subscription services.

A few is not everyone. This is basic English. I totally understand you are upset that Sony raised their prices by 33+% which is 11 times higher than the inflation rate in the US. Now spin. 😂

Now move the goalpost again.😎

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts

@Pedro: meh, sharing numbers is all performative BS anyways. It’s just PR nonsense (in relation to us customers). But the reality for me is that this price is not worth it.

Who knows, maybe if I see a game I like I’ll do the month sub and then cancel after beating it like I do with GamePass.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Pedro

@Ibacai said:

@Pedro: meh, sharing numbers is all performative BS anyways. It’s just PR nonsense (in relation to us customers). But the reality for me is that this price is not worth it.

Who knows, maybe if I see a game I like I’ll do the month sub and then cancel after beating it like I do with GamePass.

You have learnt to play the game the correct way.😎

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#136 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3659 Posts

Been a PlayStation Plus subscriber for years and only cause I could find deals for $32 and $44. Stacked up till November 2023 though not renewing. $80 is insane for PlayStation Plus Essential.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Just turned off auto renewal so I don’t forget in a year… Great job, Jimbo!!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@robert_sparkes said:

I thought it would get a hike at some point but not so soon. Interesting to see how it effects the numbers.

Time will tell. It likely could actually drive a short term boost, as people rush to renew before the pricing kicks in. We'll know better prob six months or so out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#140 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

I was hoping that there would have been enough discourse online that Sony would have walked this back even a bit. Sadly it’s not looking that way. I guess Cows are just more interested in talking about Starfield. 🤔😅

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8320 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I was hoping that there would have been enough discourse online that Sony would have walked this back even a bit. Sadly it’s not looking that way. I guess Cows are just more interested in talking about Starfield. 🤔😅

$110 for this and to be allowed to play mp games online lol

Remember back when Sony's big counter was "You have to pay for Xbox live, ours is free"!!

The good ole days

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#142 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Perhaps the price increase is not a big deal for many subscribers unlike those posting here on System Wars. Value is subjective and depends on the gamer.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

Time to wait for Black Friday

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#144 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

Sale prices just probably going to be like current price level equivalent now.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 HalcyonScarlet

Have Sony backed down yet?

Didn’t MS back down fairly quickly? And we’re still never hear the end of it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Pedro

@HalcyonScarlet said:

They are releasing a streaming only handheld. Sony knows the rabid ones aren't too bright.

jeffbuckley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 jeffbuckley1
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

@sargentd:

Thing is you dont even need to pay for gamepass. You cant get online for free with microsoft rewards system.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#148 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9736 Posts

Sony is being greedy. This is bad.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:

MS increased the price by 100%. Imagine being this dumb, especially coming from the Xbone days.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1128 Posts

Local library wins again; I'm just borrowing every ps5 and switch game from there for free. No subscription required. Sure I dont "own" these games but that's still the case with sub services anyways.