Sony skipping E3 AGAIN, on the eve of the PS5 release...

• 114 results
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

It seems Sony are really just not bothered with E3 anymore, which is a true shame. IMO, their "Treehouse" like showings have been largely meh...

Linky.

Sony will once again be skipping E3. Despite the PS5's imminent launch this holiday season, the company has told GamesIndustry.biz that it will not have a presence at E3 2020.

"After thorough evaluation SIE has decided not to participate in E3 2020," Sony said. "We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year."

In lieu of attending E3, Sony says it will be "participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe" this year to promote PS4 and PS5 games. "Our focus is on making sure fans feel part of the PlayStation family and have access to play their favorite content. We have a fantastic line up of titles coming to PlayStation 4, and with the upcoming launch of PlayStation 5, we are truly looking forward to a year of celebration with our fans," the company said.

This marks the second year in a row that Sony has opted out of the annual gaming expo. Last year, Sony said it would not be attending E3 because it was looking for other "inventive opportunities" to connect with its own community.

"PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019," a PlayStation representative said at the time.

E3 isn't the only big gaming event that Sony has pulled away from in recent years; the company also hasn't hosted its annual PlayStation Experience convention since 2017.

While E3 has traditionally been a major venue for video game and console reveals, this wouldn't be the first time Sony has unveiled a system outside of the expo. Back in 2013, Sony officially pulled back the curtain on the PS4 during a special "PlayStation Meeting" media event instead of at E3. It's possible the company will host another such event to divulge more details about the PS5 sometime this year.

Sony revealed the first tidbits about the PS5 last May, and since then the company has been gradually drip-feeding more information about the next-generation console. Most recently, Sony unveiled the system's completely unsurprising logo during its CES 2020 briefing. SIE president Jim Ryan concluded the segment by promising that further specifics about the PS5, including the game lineup and other features, will be announced at a later date.

Sony has not yet announced a release date for the PS5, but it is slated to launch sometime in holiday 2020, around the time that Microsoft's rival Xbox Series X console will hit the market. You can read everything we know about Xbox Series X so far in our roundup.

PS5 will no doubt sell very well, but skipping E3 in the year you announce your new console? Not sure if it's a right or wrong move.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

This is interesting. I can't wait to read what the loyalists make of this.....LMAO.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

Only a matter of time before all the big three leave E3 behind.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

RIP E3 it was fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5  Edited By deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

E3 is shit, and irrelevant. Besides they will talk about in February. Only games they got in the meantime are ones we already know about.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro
The event that started it all.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Sony wasn’t prepared for next gen. This shows how unprepared they were.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45320 Posts

Damn. I was thinking about going if they decided to come back. Maybe they will do their own thing.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@fedor: Yep. Though at the same time there would be an incentive to stay for Microsoft. They would be by default the stars of the show.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Why would industry professionals want to go to E3 with all you common gamers getting in? What I’ve heard from various podcasts is that y’all don’t know how to wash your ass. Your b.o. scared Sony and Nintendo away

The ESA turning E3 into a money grab ruined it for everyone.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Yeah... it's a shame. Hoping they have a full show revealing PS5 next month like they did with PS4 followed by a PSX event at some point this year.

Honestly, I've already started saving for my PS5. Looking forward to it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#12  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

As much as I like E3, it's a dinosaur of the 90's. It's a trade show meant for industry insiders, not general public like Gamescom and TGS, both of which dwarf it. When all you're really doing is showing stuff for investors and journalists, it's a waste of money and resources to drag your backsides out to Los Angeles when you can just stream a video from home like Nintendo do these days.

Known it for years that E3 is doomed. Been enjoying it while it lasts, knowing full well the party will end very soon.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@goldenelementxl:

And apparently that is the reason sony pulled out,differences with ESA.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I'm fine with them not being there but it sucks that they won't hold an event during that week.

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Disappointing but Sony’s E3’s have generally been kinda meh lately. They’re always filled with stupid gimmicks like the flute players, the dance show, and when they had the whole audience in a barn for Them Last of Us Part II’ and then dead air while they moved everyone.

I’d rather Sony do State it Plays that just don’t... suck instead if they’re not going to E3.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44356 Posts

That’s unfortunate. I really enjoy watching E3 so I don’t want to see anything happen to the event itself.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm disappointed. E3 may be a bloated mess but it was more fun to watch with them there in the mix

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

@xantufrog said:

I'm disappointed. E3 may be a bloated mess but it was more fun to watch with them there in the mix

Same. Sony have a lot to show, so this'll be kinda lacklustre.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Looks like E3 is going to die out unless something changes. What happened last year where contact info was leaked on their own site is probably a factor as well.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts
@Pedro said:

LMAO This gets me every time. Sony not happy with e3 since this. Perhaps they expected a better reception.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56274 Posts

This was expect and no one shouldn't be surprise about this news. I expected Sony to announce their PS5 on their own terms anyways. Is anyone really surprise E3 is dying out?

E3 is dead, it's as Sony and MS said, it's a waste of money for them to attend and get things setup and people to fly there when they can just do their own show or stream it etc. They'll reveal all info on their own, it's the way the future is going and Nintendo did it early in 2011.

Lets be real, E3 to me is a shell of itself for a long time now and I wish it could be as good as the very early 2000's era when trailer and demo would be available and the trailers were truly epic to really hype you. Now these days, social media and streaming gaming news makes things easier then ever before.

@lundy86_4 said:
@xantufrog said:

Same. Sony have a lot to show, so this'll be kinda lacklustre.

I thought their stance as of last year was that E3 is unnecessary and they have no intention to attend going forward. So they’re not “skipping” it, they’ve removed themselves from it completely in favor of their own events like State of Play which makes sense, E3 is very expensive to attend. I'm surprise that you two are surprise lol.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hrt_rulz01  Online
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

@Pedro said:

Lol, was going to post this... after the 2018 conference, I'm glad they're not doing it anymore. It was a shocker.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56274 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Pedro said:

Lol, was going to post this... after the 2018 conference, I'm glad they're not doing it anymore. It was a shocker.

This was so 2018. Where's the VGA 2019 version?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

"We have great respect for the ESA as an organization, but we do not feel the vision of E3 2020 is the right venue for what we are focused on this year."

What a stupid thing to say as E3 is where you go to show off new games/hardware.

I get to use this gif again lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pedro

@ellos said:

LMAO This gets me every time. Sony not happy with e3 since this. Perhaps they expected a better reception.

They decided to do a dumb over elaborate artsy expose that didn't pan out. They should have kept it simple and effective.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

E3 is dead, even Microsoft technically not at E3 but does its own show at its own place near E3 convention center. Nintendo will have the floor showings but still no live conference as usual I guess.

I will miss Sony conference a lot though especially E3 2013 and 2015, those Sony conference had an absolutely wild reaction from all over gaming media.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11192 Posts

Sony's message to E3....

**** 'em. Playstation Conference is gonna be lit!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin said:

Sony's message to E3....

**** 'em. Playstation Conference is gonna be lit!

You mean Sony's message to its fans....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

E3 is no longer important and is dying, and we should all let it die because E3 is trash. The whole concept is grade A trash. You spend way too much energy being excited about glorified commercials, than spending that time n energy on good games already released.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pedro

@jg4xchamp said:

E3 is no longer important and is dying, and we should all let it die because E3 is trash. The whole concept is grade A trash. You spend way too much energy being excited about glorified commercials, than spending that time n energy on good games already released.

How dare you bash the forum in which games are announced but are not released for 2 or more years. How dare you. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

They're leaving E3 because they can. They have an insane market share heading into next gen and they know that their userbase will not abandon them at this point. MS effed up big time for the last time. Sony/Nintendo run the console show from now on. End of story.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@subspecies said:

They're leaving E3 because they can. They have an insane market share heading into next gen and they know that their userbase will not abandon them at this point. MS effed up big time for the last time. Sony/Nintendo run the console show from now on. End of story.

Well you got one part right. That's you cows won't abandon them, I mean Sony could not show anything and just release it and you would be standing outside your nearest game store at midnight lined up in the pouring rain just to get one. Userbase, more like cultists lol.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@Pedro said:
@jg4xchamp said:

How dare you bash the forum in which games are announced but are not released for 2 or more years. How dare you. :P

Remember when Sony "won" E3 for the FF7 remake, that has not released yet, and is releasing just part 1 in 2020

Shenmue 3, which was a bad crowd funded game for people who liked a bad game to begin with, hold that renegade

and what was it Kingdom hearts 3? a disappointing outing in 2019 even for the people who adore high level Kingdom Hearts play.

Funnily enough that almost seems all of them released well after the E3 they allegedly "won".

Or how Nintendo was forgiven for finally announcing Metroid Prime 4, except literally last year in 2019 they had to announce that the project was changing developers, ergo, it literally just started development. Or how Bayonetta 3 was probably also announced when they just started development. And how Shin Megami Tensei 5 has been MIA since.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro
@subspecies said:

They're leaving E3 because they can.

And because they wasted money on a poor 2018 conference and didn't have anything new to show or announce 2019. Maybe they are hinting the same for this year.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11192 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Remember when Sony "won" E3 for the FF7 remake, that has not released yet, and is releasing just part 1 in 2020

Shenmue 3, which was a bad crowd funded game for people who liked a bad game to begin with, hold that renegade

and what was it Kingdom hearts 3? a disappointing outing in 2019 even for the people who adore high level Kingdom Hearts play.

Funnily enough that almost seems all of them released well after the E3 they allegedly "won".

Or how Nintendo was forgiven for finally announcing Metroid Prime 4, except literally last year in 2019 they had to announce that the project was changing developers, ergo, it literally just started development. Or how Bayonetta 3 was probably also announced when they just started development. And how Shin Megami Tensei 5 has been MIA since.

Remember when Microsoft had those E3s this gen where they showed off a bunch of games that got cancelled or downgraded years later? Then they stopped giving a damn and just started showing off multplats and indies that sold better on Playstation every year anyway? Not to mention constantly announcing new hardware that only deep sixes the sales of the ones they just previously released?

That's what we're talking about. E3 is for the birds. Shit changes drastically over the years of development, and you never know how these games are gonna turn out anyway. People spend all their time making E3 list wars only for these games to either be mediocre, or not even showing up to the party.

E3 needs to die already. It really doesn't even have any business existing since they got industry people who attended doxxed last year. That was a shitshow. This "event" is no longer doing anyone any favors.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@jg4xchamp: Seems like you triggered someone. LOL

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

It's been shit for years.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Nothing to show again,weaker console, games like god or war 5,HZD 2 and Spider-Man years away from release

Who wants to see some tit playing a flute and a trailer for the none exclusive GOD awFALL

MS gets another free ride to impress the millions watching around the world

Cow damage control= no one watches and e3 is shit anyway HAH

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@bluestars: Impressive salty meltdown lol.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6050 Posts

Nothing to show so why bother going :)

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bluestars

@vfighter:

Facts kid, no need to get all emotional

Now if you can tell me anything I missed feel free

HAH

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Poo cows.

Meanwhile....

Phil Spencer Confirms That Xbox Will Attend E3 2020

"We look forward to sharing with all who love to play what's ahead for us."

Thank you MS, for the gamerz... Jazz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Lol, now cows want E3 to die. Priceless!

JoyFreakcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44 JoyFreakcom
Member since 2019 • 19 Posts

Yeah not at all suprised by this!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@bluestars: I see you have no idea what facts are, that's going to be an issue kid.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bluestars

@vfighter:

Yea an issue for you,meanwhile in the real world,fanboys and their emotions HAH

God fall the only game confirmed and a weaker ps5 console

You can stomp your feet and stick your fingers in your ears and scream “not confirmed”hoping that MS once again won’t have the most powerful console but you know it and I know it,I’ll get both so I get da power

Fanboys HAH

#bringbackthefluteplayer

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Good, E3 is essentially a giant advertisement now, it lies and panders to consumers and gets them whipped into a frenzy over things they don't want or need in the first place.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Stinks, E3 is like the Super Bowl of celebrating videogames. Sony should at least consider doing something like MS offsite and show up for the fans.

On the same note they could just send out a tweet or picture and that would be enough to create hype. Like Guerilla Games taking a dump and toilet paper has Socom logo on it.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

So all of these launch ps5 exclusive didn’t exist!?? Lol that is hilarious!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

I expect a TGS reveal of the Ps5 with more infos during their own little Nintendo Direct copy.