Stellar Blade's character looks causing controversy! Which do you prefer?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Stellar Blade's character looks causing controversy! Which do you prefer? (70 votes)

Good looking 24%
Average 1%
Sexy 26%
Realistic 3%
Overystylized/Exaggerated 14%
Ugly 0%
Give me variety! 11%
Dont Care 20%

https://fandomwire.com/i-hope-people-will-look-at-it-as-just-another-fun-action-game-stellar-blade-director-makes-a-sincere-request-to-fans-amid-controversies-around-eves-body/

The controversy around Stellar Blade’s protagonist Eve

It was a pretty standard demo gameplay release, however, the game became the center of controversies after many objected to the protagonist’s body design. They were of the opinion that Eve’s character was designed in a very s*xualized way.

Even though a few fans have appreciated the developers for Eve’s beautiful character design, especially her hair, others felt that her body was designed in an unrealistic manner, which resembles a s*x doll.

Previously, Stellar Blade director Hyung-Tae Kim stated that he isinspired by games such as NIER. Since games like NIER: Automata are known to have stylized and s*xualized female protagonists, many felt that Kim has taken some inspiration from this as well.

“S*x sells; everything doesn’t have to be political ffs”: Stellar Blade Fans Support Hyung-Tae Kim as Eve Controversy Continues

Things became complicated even more when, in a recent interview withGamesRadar, Stellar Blade director Hyung-Tae Kim stated that they have put “special attention” into the design of the back of that game’s playable character, Eve.

Stellar Blade Director makes a request to fans

As the game has garnered the attention of fans due to its controversies, Hyung-Tae Kim recently came out to speak about the controversies surrounding Eve’s character design.

During an interview, Kim was asked whether he was aware that some Western media outlets criticized the portrayal of Eve in Stellar Blade.

To that, he added,

I know that in the West, game characters have to be realistic in many ways and that there are numerous issues involved, such as gender, race, diversity, etc

He also went on to justify Eve’s character design by adding that the game is only an entertainment and cultural work and people should take it that way. Kim also made a sincere request to fans amid all the controversies surrounding Eve by saying,

I hope people will look at it as just another fun action game that has been released

Kim also added during the interview that since several games focus on typical male action scenes, he wanted Stellar Blade to have a different feel, and, therefore introduced Eve as an attractive female as the main character in the game.

PS5 exclusive Stellar Blade has been getting a lot of attention for its main character's looks, which go back to a time when a lot of video game characters were oversylized and exaggerated for the purpose of attention. In recent years, especially in the Western space, a lot of characters have been designed with a more realistic look. What do you think about today's character designs, SW? And which do you prefer?

• 
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

I really don't give a shit, lol.

I want a good game, make whatever character you want.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7176 Posts

but according to pedro there is no woke army. its all fake yet they are complaining about steller blade character. so woke is not real?

guys can be hot for them but woman can't be for men.

western really more realistic look? alloy with facial hair like a man is realistic?

or females with less than A cup boobs. flat chested. they look like a 15 year old boys.

in steller blade she is doing flip after flip. she would have to look the way she does to do those flips just like athletic gymnastics.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6100 Posts

I honestly don't care.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38943 Posts

A well written character like Dante. And i am fine with coomer bait, but i don't like Eve doll looking face, its shit. But i am glad that some mentally unstable freaks are malding over her, tho.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44575 Posts

Characters like this stick out when western devs have taken to making their characters extra frumpy in an attempt not to objectify women.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17434 Posts

I think it's hard for people to look at things through the lens of others.

In some parts of the world, sexualized characters are popular and people like them in the same way in the west we kind of glamorize violence.

I don't have an issue with sexualized characters because they are meant to appeal to me, I don't understand why people get all upset about it.

Just don't look or don't play them? Don't let your kids play them? It's easy to say there the character design is meant to cover bland gameplay but a lot of people like that.

Just play what you enjoy and let people have what they enjoy

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I'm here for the gameplay, the eye candy is just a bonus. Hard to believe the gaming media is all over this crap. This was nothing like when I was growing up.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

I enjoy the wokeness of the character. Little too much jiggle for my liking, but it’s awesome to see realistic Empowering Strong lead women getting more roles.

Please support this game, we need more woke roles in the industry. Let’s put them antiwoke clowns back in the stone age were they belong.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

Looks better than Banjo Kazooie but slightly worse than Sly Cooper.

I dunno, I hate judging people on their looks? I don't do it in real life so why would I do so in games?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gifford38
@mesome713 said:

I enjoy the wokeness of the character. Little too much jiggle for my liking, but it’s awesome to see realistic Empowering Strong lead women getting more roles.

Please support this game, we need more woke roles in the industry. Let’s put them antiwoke clowns back in the stone age were they belong.

I like strong woman as long is done right and not political. antiwoke clowns hate the fact they hate on men while they are being strong. Anti Woke like lead females if done right. sarah connor,old lara croft, Ripley ect.

men don't hate on women when they lead in a movie. like luke skywalker can't teach rey because he is a man making him quit the force or new willow does not do magic anymore.

today in female leads they shit on men making them bad guy,pervert,telling them to shut up not to speak or just clueless.

they also make the female lead more manly and less feminine.

females can act badass and still look and act feminine.

antiwoke also don't like when they replace the man for a woman lead.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7206 Posts

@gifford38: Them anti woke snowflakes hate on all things. Them clowns have no standards. They are primitive stoneage deplorables who can't stand any thing that goes against their status quo.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

lolol :P

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1866 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Characters like this stick out when western devs have taken to making their characters extra frumpy in an attempt not to objectify women.

What Western Devs are you playing?

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LuxuryHeart
@gifford38 said:
@mesome713 said:

I like strong woman as long is done right and not political. antiwoke clowns hate the fact they hate on men while they are being strong. Anti Woke like lead females if done right. sarah connor,old lara croft, Ripley ect.

men don't hate on women when they lead in a movie. like luke skywalker can't teach rey because he is a man making him quit the force or new willow does not do magic anymore.

today in female leads they shit on men making them bad guy,pervert,telling them to shut up not to speak or just clueless.

Don't your anti-woke crowd like Zelda, even though there's a group of women, hello Gerudo women, who ban all men from their village?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gifford38

@mesome713 said:

@gifford38: Them anti woke snowflakes hate on all things. Them clowns have no standards. They are primitive stoneage deplorables who can't stand any thing that goes against their status quo.

what are you talking about? the woke are the ones pushing this agenda stuff. replacing white characters with black characters or male characters with female characters. even black people don't like it example little mermaid.

primitive stone age? why because we like the old characters we grown up with?

because we don;t want every movie have a gay female lead?

even new ghostbusters.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

I enjoy an attractive looking character but that can be subjective as what’s “attractive” can differ from person to person. However I also don’t lose my mind if I find a character to be unattractive either. I find the whole discourse in this area to be quite silly to be honest. There’s a whole world of diversity out there so don’t know why you wouldn’t want entertainment to be just as diverse. Voted “Give me variety”.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

@SecretPolice: since gaming has gotten more popular it has attracted a crowd I can't even begin to relate to.

I miss the good old days of Rare's anthropomorphic characters.

If Super Mario Bros 2 were released today you'd have folks saying "uh, I can't play as Peach, she's way too ugly"

Dumb shit really.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7290 Posts

@gifford38:

"western really more realistic look? alloy with facial hair like a man is realistic?"

If you are going to call that wispy peach fuzz you have to zoom way in on to even notice a "beard", you are making the woke's point for them.

"or females with less than A cup boobs. flat chested. they look like a 15 year old boys. In steller blade she is doing flip after flip. she would have to look the way she does to do those flips just like athletic gymnastics."

😂 I love when folks try to pull the "there is a scientific reason she needs to look that way" crap. You bring up gymnasts, who in real life have very little body fat and tiny boobs. If we're going with this explanation, there shouldn't be much jiggle going on at all. Look it's totally fine to like waifu sex-doll game chicks, I do as much as the next guy, but don't try to act like its for the "immersion" or something.

"guys can be hot for them but woman can't be for men."

Dudes can be attractive or look like someone drew a face on a sack of potatoes, and gamers won't complain either way. It's only with chicks that folks get a bug up their ass.

Haaaawt!
Haaaawt!
adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2569 Posts

No matter what you do, you won't please everyone, so do what you want as the ones that will be criticizing you will be doing the same.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

She is supposed to be a soldier. 😂 The same folks who complain about things before forced are silent.🙃

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pedro

@gifford38: I see you are still suffering from male fragility.🤭

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 judaspete

@Pedro said:

She is supposed to be a soldier. 😂 The same folks who complain about things before forced are silent.🙃

Not silent. They are loudly proclaiming this is a great thing, and coming up a bunch of objective and very scientific reasons why this definitely makes a bunch of sense. Very immersive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pedro
@judaspete said:

Not silent. They are loudly proclaiming this is a great thing, and coming up a bunch of objective and very scientific reasons why this definitely makes a bunch of sense. Very immersive.

More like they are full of shit. 😂 "bu buh but the FBI has ~9% black females", meanwhile there is 0% of females in any military operations that look like this in...UNIFORM 🤣

"Teh immersion" "Teh Lore"

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18800 Posts

@mesome713: "Little too much jiggle for my liking, "

lol

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LuxuryHeart

@Archangel3371 said:

I enjoy an attractive looking character but that can be subjective as what’s “attractive” can differ from person to person. However I also don’t lose my mind if I find a character to be unattractive either. I find the whole discourse in this area to be quite silly to be honest. There’s a whole world of diversity out there so don’t know why you wouldn’t want entertainment to be just as diverse. Voted “Give me variety”.

So much for all of the bolded. In a game that I play, most people consider these champions to be the hottest:

Now granted, the purple elf girl is number 6 for best looking in my opinion, and the woman with the white hair isn't ugly. I just don't find them to be the best looking, or even top 5.

People find Lady Dimistrecu to be hot, and respectfully...

No... And I get the appeal, but no.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22716 Posts

@Litchie said:

I really don't give a shit, lol.

I want a good game, make whatever character you want.

Spot on...

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5256 Posts

Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, etc. are laughing at Westerners on the topic of political correctness and forced conformity to the progressive point-of-view. I thought that Westerners believe in freedom of thought and expression?

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8248 Posts

@davillain said:

I couldn't agree more. I'm here for the gameplay, the eye candy is just a bonus. Hard to believe the gaming media is all over this crap. This was nothing like when I was growing up.

As long as it's not this

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50569 Posts

I think she's too sexualized, but im not going to go complain about it. It's how the devs wanted it, so whatever.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38943 Posts

@sargentd said:
@davillain said:

As long as it's not this

Expecting Cortana to look like that in the next Halo entry tbh.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@judaspete said:

More like they are full of shit. 😂 "bu buh but the FBI has ~9% black females", meanwhile there is 0% of females in any military operations that look like this in...UNIFORM 🤣

"Teh immersion" "Teh Lore"

well show me soldiers dropping from space in pods to. not saying this is real or even fits the game. its just she is proportioned right for and athletic girl flipping around doing crazy moves which is not possible any ways. fact is its the first time in years we get old school looking female in a game. these games are made for men even though they cater to females.

back in the day they had romantic comedy's for woman and action movies for men. guess what it worked. movies made a ton of money.

this woke cater to all woman no matter what it is.

if the woke is not real how come they are going nuts to change steller blade.

ign france even had to apologize to the director of steller because they gave a review of a 2 just because the way she looks. they pulled the review.

funny how men are shamed for wanting nice looking females.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gifford38
@judaspete said:

@gifford38:

"western really more realistic look? alloy with facial hair like a man is realistic?"

If you are going to call that wispy peach fuzz you have to zoom way in on to even notice a "beard", you are making the woke's point for them.

"or females with less than A cup boobs. flat chested. they look like a 15 year old boys. In steller blade she is doing flip after flip. she would have to look the way she does to do those flips just like athletic gymnastics."

😂 I love when folks try to pull the "there is a scientific reason she needs to look that way" crap. You bring up gymnasts, who in real life have very little body fat and tiny boobs. If we're going with this explanation, there shouldn't be much jiggle going on at all. Look it's totally fine to like waifu sex-doll game chicks, I do as much as the next guy, but don't try to act like its for the "immersion" or something.

"guys can be hot for them but woman can't be for men."

Dudes can be attractive or look like someone drew a face on a sack of potatoes, and gamers won't complain either way. It's only with chicks that folks get a bug up their ass.

Haaaawt!
Haaaawt!

put they can have leon,chris redfield, dante, all killing demons but you put a hot female instead they go bonkers.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56143 Posts

@sargentd: LOL a fair point.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gifford38
@luxuryheart said:
@gifford38 said:
@mesome713 said:

Don't your anti-woke crowd like Zelda, even though there's a group of women, hello Gerudo women, who ban all men from their village?

omg again its not that anti woke hate woman. we love wonder woman and she comes from an island that does not allow men either.

fact they try to make them more manly and less feminine. then put down men while sap over another woman.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@gifford38 said:

well show me soldiers dropping from space in pods to. not saying this is real or even fits the game. its just she is proportioned right for and athletic girl flipping around doing crazy moves which is not possible any ways. fact is its the first time in years we get old school looking female in a game. these games are made for men even though they cater to females.

back in the day they had romantic comedy's for woman and action movies for men. guess what it worked. movies made a ton of money.

this woke cater to all woman no matter what it is.

if the woke is not real how come they are going nuts to change steller blade.

ign france even had to apologize to the director of steller because they gave a review of a 2 just because the way she looks. they pulled the review.

funny how men are shamed for wanting nice looking females.

She is not proportion right as a soldier. She is not proportion right as someone who is acrobatic. That is just the facts but I know you hate facts so none of this would sink in. Here is another fact, sexualize females have not stopped existing. The idea that you think this is the first sexualized female in years shows how detached from reality you are. Do you even know how illogical you sound when you say "game is made for men even though they cater to females"? Are you even reading what you are typing?

Men can enjoy romantic comedies and women can enjoy action movies. These ideas are cultural and have nothing to do with a person's sex. Stop subbing to basic low level association of someone's sex to what they can enjoy.

Woke is simply anything you folks don't like. Woke, female, gay, lesbian, black, not sexy women, recycling, energy efficiency, critical thinking, climate change etc.

I don't care about what IGN France do or don't do. Reviews are opinions. You folks would review bomb games because they have any of the above categories I mentioned so🤷🏽‍♂️

Stop pretending to be a victim. You are not. What you are simply experiencing is a sliver of not everything being pandered to you thus we have to deal with the manchild raging.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9562 Posts

Who in the hell cares? Like honestly, I guess I'd rather have attractive characters (or at least whimsical or seemingly out of place) since it's a game, but it doesn't matter either way. When devs or companies go out of their way to intentionally make characters ugly though... that's ridiculous. I just want to strip woke shit and politics completely from games unless that's the point of the game. People will cry no matter what because they are miserable and want to bring others down, but this debate is asinine and does nothing but rile people up over nothing. You don't like it? Don't buy the game... it's that simple. There is qalso a complete double standard, but that's a bridge we can cross another time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14807 Posts

I don‘t want to be looking at some ugly character.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@WitIsWisdom said:

Who in the hell cares? Like honestly, I guess I'd rather have attractive characters (or at least whimsical or seemingly out of place) since it's a game, but it doesn't matter either way. When devs or companies go out of their way to intentionally make characters ugly though... that's ridiculous. I just want to strip woke shit and politics completely from games unless that's the point of the game. People will cry no matter what because they are miserable and want to bring others down, but this debate is asinine and does nothing but rile people up over nothing. You don't like it? Don't buy the game... it's that simple. There is qalso a complete double standard, but that's a bridge we can cross another time.

"Who in the hell cares?" Apparently you.🤭

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SargentD

@SOedipus said:

I don‘t want to be looking at some ugly character.

her mechanics are fun and move set is cool.

But I don't want to play as her, I just end up laughing at how stupid she looks. Would have been better off making her not human and instead an arbitrary animal, like a zebra or a shark.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pedro

@sargentd said:

But I don't want to play as her, I just end up laughing at how stupid she looks. Would have been better off making her not human and instead an arbitrary animal, like a zebra or a shark.

And you player her in first person?🤔

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6100 Posts

Man Gifford and mesome are on opposite sides of the same stick. At least they cancel each other out with their stupid posts lol.

It's funny that I don't care about the game or character, and only just noticed that she is basically what you would come up with if the Dead or Alive Volleyball games had a create a character mode lol.

It's a non issue.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SargentD
@Pedro said:
@sargentd said:

And you player her in first person?🤔

Nah but my friends can see her, but when she's on the other team we get to hunt down this bum so I guess it's a solid trade off lol

Apparently her backstory is she's the world's worst archeologist and she eats rocks which is why her teeth are jacked.

What a stupid character lol

Edit:you do technically see her in 3rd person when doing her drill move

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9562 Posts

@Pedro: Oh yes, the good ol' if you responded you must care bit. Trust me I don't. I'm just tired of hearing about it and think there are bigger things to worry about.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By judaspete

@gifford38: "put they can have leon,chris redfield, dante, all killing demons but you put a hot female instead they go bonkers."

None of those guys are fighting zombies in a body suit. Claire and Jill are right there next to them looking good and no one is mad about it. Capcom has somehow managed to keep everyone happy recently, woke or otherwise. Characters are attractive, but also fit in the situation. Folks call Lady Dimistrecu attractive despite being large, overweight, and kinda old.

All that said, if Leon was a chick, people would be tweeting (Xing?) this picture to say they wrecked this poor actor's face:

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@WitIsWisdom said:

@Pedro: Oh yes, the good ol' if you responded you must care bit. Trust me I don't. I'm just tired of hearing about it and think there are bigger things to worry about.

Nope! I literally highlighted you demonstrating that you care but somehow that eluded you.😂

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SargentD

Game was DOA from the start...

I've seen Ogres who are more attractive

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Pedro

@sargentd: Because it wasn't good. 🤷🏽‍♂️

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 judaspete

@onesiphorus said:

Russia, China, Iran, North Korea, etc. are laughing at Westerners on the topic of political correctness and forced conformity to the progressive point-of-view. I thought that Westerners believe in freedom of thought and expression?

Yes. They are rubbing their hands together saying, "The lack of jiggle physics in western games will leave their male population so emasculated, that they will just hand us the world when we demand it. Mwahahaha!"

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SargentD

@Pedro said:

@sargentd: Because it wasn't good. 🤷🏽‍♂️

You don't know what's good

Pedro