faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

Yea I agree. It's the same problem Netflix is having right now. Everyone wants to start there own streaming/subscription service so now you have to pay 80 a month just to watch everything. With gaming it seems like it's just gonna start that way. You now have EA, PSNow, gamepass, Google, Bethesda, and ubisoft.

How long till square enix or Nintendo gets into streaming/subscription? Probably next year.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

You know that you have to buy games with Stadia, right? It's not like Netflix.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts
@techhog89 said:

lol and you still won't "own" those games. They're just unlocking "access" to play the game.

They could fully revoke that "access" at any time for any reasons unlike digital downloaded or physical games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#54 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@techhog89 said:

lol and you still won't "own" those games. They're just unlocking "access" to play the game.

They could fully revoke that "access" at any time for any reasons unlike digital downloaded or physical games.

You don't "own" a game on a disc either. You just own a license to use the software the publisher gave to you, that they can legally revoke at any time within the confines of the EULA.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

I am having deja vu back to when Netflix decided to split into a DVD-by-mail service and a streaming service and literally everyone was like "No, streaming won't succeed"

It's like HAHAHAHAHA, but seriously, you naysayers are silly. Bunch of silly gooses you are. It's going to go crazy because, like it or not, most people that play video games are casual as hell about it and don't need physical copies, don't need to own the game, they just want something to play a few hours per week.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts
@ProtossRushX said:
@DocSanchez said:

Put your money where your mouth is. Invest your money in gamestop. I guarantee, whether we like it or not, streaming is here to stay and will play a huge part in the future, as much as I wish it were not so. Same with films and TV. I bet blockbuster video said the same, where are they now?

But Vinyl is making comeback and people love limited run games. I could see nintendo still making consoles 40 years from now. Why would nintendo go streaming when they can have the whole console market to themselves.

NINTENDO will save consoles and kill the streaming networks.

No it wont. Nintendo will join the streamers about....seven years after everyone else. Same as with everything else. Paid online, VR, digital sales, HD graphics. Nintendo will buy into it, and right at that point their fanboys will instantly go from anti streaming to "hook the service to my veins, Nintendo does it best". Vinyl is making a comeback after dying, and it's reach is in a fairly niche market. I know. I have a large vinyl collection going back years. The sales are dwarfed by people listening to music via digital services. Again, wish it weren't so. I have Dark Side of the Moon original, Wish You Were Here original, I spend a lot of time thrifting for records and ebaying.

But that's not the point. This is not about what gamers want. This is about the convenience for casuals and the publishers. We end up with what they want in the end. I prefer owning films, I prefer buying box sets to netflix. The market is on its arse. HMV, dying. Virgin Megastores, dead. Blockbuster video,dead. Massive institutions in my youth selling/renting physical media and not much else.

Streaming is coming, whether you like it or you don't, and it will affect physical media through things like advertising and episodic content, add ons, games disappearing as sponsorships die (Outrun 2 for example, can't buy this any more, good job I have it already, imagine this on streaming) lots of things we don't want. Don't believe me? Sink your money into gamestop shares. If it survives for 15 years it will be as a modern antiques shop.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44403 Posts

I do have hope that gaming going streaming only is pretty far off because music and movies are much easier to stream then games and despite this I can still easily purchase my music on cds and my movies on DVD or Blu-ray Discs.

Physical formats FTW.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

You show zero data to back up your point. Streaming is becoming more-and-more viable, and these large companies do extensive market research before investing so heavily... It's not a guarantee, but it's a much better indicator than your opinion.

Streaming took over in the Movie/TV space. Input lag needs to be reduced heavily, but game streaming is on the way.

Imo, I think streaming for TV and Audio is one thing, but with games and software it's another. I have decent fibre internet, but it is not perfect all the time. It's not reliable to the point where I'd want to run software on it. I hardly ever have problems with it. It's highly reliable for normal daily use of downloading, and internet use, but for running software I'd want nothing less than perfect 24/7 performance. No bandwidth slowdowns, no cutting out, no maintenance problems and no cutting out for maintenance.

I think the only people who will ever get that sort of service are business customers.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@lundy86_4 said:

You show zero data to back up your point. Streaming is becoming more-and-more viable, and these large companies do extensive market research before investing so heavily... It's not a guarantee, but it's a much better indicator than your opinion.

Streaming took over in the Movie/TV space. Input lag needs to be reduced heavily, but game streaming is on the way.

Imo, I think streaming for TV and Audio is one thing, but with games and software it's another. I have decent fibre internet, but it is not perfect all the time. It's not reliable to the point where I'd want to run software on it. I hardly ever have problems with it. It's highly reliable for normal daily use of downloading, and internet use, but for running software I'd want nothing less than perfect 24/7 performance. No bandwidth slowdowns, no cutting out, no maintenance problems and no cutting out for maintenance.

I think the only people who will ever get that sort of service are business customers.

I completely agree. It's why I said that it's on the way... Gaming needs high up/down and there are many places not there yet. That being said, there is a growing market, hence the mass push.

As for what you want, even hardware has failure rates. Nothing has 100% guaranteed uptime.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By BoxRekt
@foxhound_fox said:
@boxrekt said:
@techhog89 said:

You don't "own" a game on a disc either. You just own a license to use the software the publisher gave to you, that they can legally revoke at any time within the confines of the EULA.

Wrong buddy I do own my game disks,

I have a game disk right now.

Guess what, I can take it and break it in half and won't anyone come or do shit about it.

I can play my games any time I want or throw it away or give it to anyone I please with asking permission to do so. What a shit counter argument. License my ass, what a desperate counter argument.

I definitely own my game disks as does anyone else, so trying to making arguments based on total bullshit situations to defend streaming shows how shitty streaming must actually be or you would have used a better argument.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@boxrekt said:

Guess what, I can take it and break it in half and won't anyone come or do shit about it.

I can play my games any time I want or throw it away or give it to anyone I please with asking permission to do so. What a shit counter argument. License my ass, what a desperate counter argument.

I definitely own my game disks as does anyone else, so trying to making arguments based on total bullshit situations to defend streaming shows how shitty streaming must actually be or you would have used a better argument.

Yeah, you own the piece of plastic, and the license (a digital "piece of paper" essentially) the publisher gave you to use the license for the software stored digitally on it. You DO NOT own the software it contains, and it distinctly says in the EULA there are restrictions on how you may USE that software (including reproducing it).

What's wrong with streaming exactly? You seem pretty salty about it. People go in knowing they don't have long-term access to the software, so I'm not sure why you are so uppity about it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lundy86_4

@boxrekt said:

You certainly own the disk, that's correct. The software on that disk is not owned by you... Hence why piracy is a big issue... They are often ripped from "owned" disks.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

lol at the legal semantics in this thread and people who keep arguing about it.

You got a better chance of people coming to your house to take your guns, not your games.

Both sides need to grow up and move on.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lundy86_4

@dxmcat said:

lol at the legal semantics in this thread and people who keep arguing about it.

You got a better chance of people coming to your house to take your guns, not your games.

Both sides need to grow up and move on.

Yeah, it's 99% unlikely. Still... Poking holes, and all that.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

I'd say 99.999 repeating.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I hope that streaming video games does fail, but that's far from a guarantee.

Just look at the success of streaming video services and the decline of Bluray sales. I don't understand it, but for some reason many people are willing to watch movies on these streaming services with inferior video quality and inferior sound quality while also giving up all of the special features of Bluray and even giving up their favorite movies if the streaming service doesn't currently provide it in their limited lineup.

If streaming video services can be very successful despite all of the ways that they are inferior to Bluray then unfortunately there is a chance that streaming video game services can be successful as well.

All hope is not lost though as there will also still be many people that will refuse to settle for crappy streaming services and continue to demand physical media just like there are people that continue to demand Bluray releases. Hell, even vinyl records have made a comeback and physical book sales are going back up in recent years while digital sales have gone down showing that eventually the quality of physical media wins back some people.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@ProtossRushX: Where’s your data to back up your ridiculous assumption?

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I OWN MY PHYSICAL STUFF! What is a company gonna do to lock me out of the game? I HAVE A system and the game they can never take either one away from me. So I can always play it...forever.

THEY would have to kill me to take this stuff this stuff back

With streaming I just dunno man they could take what they want when they want it, same with digital be like POOF its gone from the platform etc.

WITH MY physical stuff I OWN IT FOREVER and keep it and pass it on to the next generation.

I have so much power with physical media something streamers and digital ppl don't understand and will never understand. People like lundy and the guy with yellow sonic avatar want to go streaming its sick man just sick.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

the difference between streaming movies vs games is that game require you to input controls that affect your experience of the game.

with movies you just sit back and watch.

quality dont matter to people that much. thats why weak consoles like the ps2 and the wii won thier generation. a lot of people dont care about graphics.

so playing games at 720p wont be an issue for the streaming market. however the controls part of it will make or break it.

as for owning something physical? the movie and music industry show only a small percentage care. but there are enough to keep companies making physical product though so thats good.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#70  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

If latency drops somehow, like by having servers per city, I think it could take off. It would mean further breakdown of consumer rights/freedom though.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I think a loud minority will be on board for "Netflix gaming" until the rest of us get to point and laugh at them when their favorite games get rotated out of the lineup.

I think most gamers find a lot of value out of owning and sharing games. When the industry gets a bloody nose by letting the Madden/Fifa/CoD/Yearly crowd out of the coop, I will be laughing silly. The truth is that the lowest common denominator would be okay with it.

Thirdly, and most importantly, GOOD LUCK selling dlc and expansions to people who dont actually own a game. The value proposition of long-tail content delivery will be utterly dead. GAAS is just bean counters flirting with their own demise.

So, you're saying streaming will be a runaway success because you just described the overwhelming large majority of consolites.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@storm_of_swords: if you don't know why people are embracing streaming, it's pretty obvious that you're out of touch with reality.

People prefer convenience over quality. If the product is good enough and has good enough and is convenient it will have an audience.

From Desktops to Laptops

From laptops to Smartphones

From Physical/Digital Purchases of Movies and Music to Subscriptions/Streaming

and Physical/Digital Purchases of Games to Subscriptions/Streaming

What they all have in common is they are all the result of the convenience of the user.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8502 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

What's wrong with streaming exactly? You seem pretty salty about it. People go in knowing they don't have long-term access to the software, so I'm not sure why you are so uppity about it.

Because Sony doesn't have the infrastructure and technical capability to do it right, also streaming means they no longer have their precious exclusives.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#75 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Streaming is the way of the future. For movies & TV at least.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34720 Posts

Let me get this straight.

• People buy 2-3 games a year.
  • Streaming is garbage.
  • Casuals prefer physical, because they like to sell their games.
  • You have to be rich to stream.
  • Streaming is hardcore.
  • Streaming is over.

Did I miss anything?

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BoxRekt
@Yams1980 said:

Not sure why people here are defending this streaming idea, I can only assume google has some dummy accounts on here and have sent out their people to put out fake positive ideas about their service. I can't imagine a normal person trying to help google with this idea. Google doesn't care about gaming, they only want your money and will destroy gaming in the process to get it.

You are basically giving up all rights you have to a company like google. When they turn off the switch to their servers, you have lost all your games you bought and all the work you put into them. At least with non streaming gaming when you download or buy a physical copy, its yours.

Even if an online DRM activation system like Steam somehow disappears, in a matter of minutes you can easily download a crack for that and access your game with no problems.

When google decides its not making enough money to make it worth while any longer, they shut it all down, you lose all your save games, and all your games with it. You people like that idea?

Didn't even mention the cost of bandwidth needed to run it properly, and the latency problems that most people will have unless they live in a sweet spot near the servers and never encounter any latency.... which is something that always happens.

Thank you

These mental midgets act like they can't understand why other people wouldn't be total morons and accept all the things you (and I) have outlined like the brainless corporate shills they appear to be.

Insanity, "bu but why are you against it streaming" Dumbasses.

Why are the people arguing for streaming so desperate for OTHER PEOPLE to throw away their rights?

Are you drones making money off streaming or something, a stock investor, a corporate mole? GTFOH

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Congrats OP , you hate streaming.

Daniel_Su123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Daniel_Su123
Member since 2015 • 1103 Posts

@Yams1980: Because there is a big market for people who want to stream games instead of buying an expensive Console or PC and upgrading it. People want to play their games on any device they want to own. Casual Consumers don't care about Slight drops in FPS or image quality, if the experience is good enough then it's going to become mainstream.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

but looking at all the services that keep popping up it seems like people will pay for convenience/being lazy

The biggest stumbling block for streaming seems to be the current internet infrastructure and imposed data caps.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@daniel_su123 said:

@storm_of_swords: if you don't know why people are embracing streaming, it's pretty obvious that you're out of touch with reality.

People prefer convenience over quality. If the product is good enough and has good enough and is convenient it will have an audience.

From Desktops to Laptops

From laptops to Smartphones

From Physical/Digital Purchases of Movies and Music to Subscriptions/Streaming

and Physical/Digital Purchases of Games to Subscriptions/Streaming

What they all have in common is they are all the result of the convenience of the user.

I never said that I don't understand why people are embracing streaming. Re-read my post. I know that it is because they are willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. The thing that I can't understand is how they can be content with less quality and less choice just for a little bit more convenience. I personally don't see discs as being that much more inconvenient than streaming (in some ways discs are even more convenient), so I have a hard time relating to the mindset that would be willing to sacrifice a lot of quality and choice for a small gain in convenience.

I don't understand how they can be satisfied watching shitty compressed videos with shitty compressed sound. And the thing that I most don't understand is how they are content with being limited to whatever content the streaming service is making available to them at that time instead of having the content that they really care about.

I often hear people that are all in on streaming say things like "I spent an hour last night looking for something good to watch on Netflix. I wish [insert movie here] would come to Netflix.". And I can't help but wonder why don't you just buy or rent the movie that you want instead of hoping that your Netflix overlord will someday give you access to a poor quality version of it while you waste time trying to find something that you want to watch from their limited catalog?

I have a list of my top 100 favorite movies and I once searched Netflix to see how many of my top 100 favorite movies was on Netflix. The result was that Netflix had 19 out of 100 which means that if I relied on Netflix, I would not be able to watch 81% of my favorite movies. And I'm not talking about a bunch of obscure movies here; I'm talking about many big blockbusters like Terminator 2, Jurassic Park, The Lion King, Titanic, and Back to the Future that I wouldn't be able to watch. I'm sure that most people would have most of their favorites missing from their streaming service as well and I just don't understand how they can be content with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#82 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Litchie said:

• Streaming is garbage.
  • Streaming is hardcore.
  • Streaming is over.

Did I miss anything?

I think you got that one the other way round, casuals are the ones who are gonna eat streaming up, casuals care not for the industry just what they can get out of it for less.

IronBrigador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 IronBrigador
Member since 2018 • 113 Posts

Its stupid to think Streaming is not the future. Its going to come in a big way. The big techs are going to ensure its going to happen.

Its even more stupid how some gamers here are welcoming it with willing open arms and convince themselves ITS GOING TO BE GREAT, MAN! YEAAAHH!!!

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

I don't see it fully taking over anytime soon.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34720 Posts
@i_p_daily said:
@Litchie said:

• Streaming is garbage.
  • Streaming is hardcore.
  • Streaming is over.

Did I miss anything?

I think you got that one the other way round, casuals are the ones who are gonna eat streaming up, casuals care not for the industry just what they can get out of it for less.

I was just trying to sum up OP's insane post.

Streaming is indeed very popular with casuals.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I still sorta agree I don't know why the future of video games is with streaming.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#87 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@boxrekt: that’s not how a dialogue works. Nobody made this thread claiming streaming will be a huge success. Protoss made it claiming it will fail. If one makes a claim the burden of proof is on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Game Pass comes with XGS game Day 1

uPlay+ comes with all Ubisoft games Day 1

Origin Premium Access comes with all EA games Day 1

Where is the hot garbage you speak off? The only ones who are hot garbage are Stadia and PS Now, who are overpriced nothing but piles of shit, aka hot garbage.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#90 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Just wait until everything is digital then the cable companies will tighten the screws because then they have you dependent on them. The cable companies are going to have a stranglehold on all of your media. I've seen what comcast has been doing since 1980. When you give up your physical media prices on digital will go through the roof.

I've been hoarding physical media for the past 15 years. I saw this coming from a mile away and I don't like where it's going. You're giving up your purchasing power by going digital.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

If you are only buying 2-3 games a year, you are what these game companies call, “the problem.” They aren’t targeting people like you TC because that would be a losing strategy. In their eyes, your $120-$180 a year is expendable. People are spending that on cosmetic skins in a month...

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#92 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

@boxrekt said:
@techhog89 said:

Huh, what you've described is exactly (minus DRM-free games) what Digital games are and have been since Steam rolled into the market. With all things said before (can't sell, trade, or transfer games)... care to guess what happens when you loose access/ban to your account? Yeah, there go all of 'your' games which you 'purchased'. Your account is the main DRM. This same principle will apply to streaming... except you won't download anything to your hard disk.