The implications of a new PS4 and how can it take away some fans from PC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

After knowing that the PS4 Neo is real,and a confirmation of spec a 36CU Polaris GPU( is the only one fitting the description) how do you think PC gamers will react to it,i have read here many times and in other forums post from hermits which were not very happy with the specs of the PS4 and xbox one,and were more happy when MS and sony were trying harder like with the 360 which was pretty powerful back on 2005.

A Polaris 36CU 911 mhz GPU will deliver considerable performance and true 4k gaming,sure it may not be 60FPS but then again we are on console 30FPS is the norm,and that is achievable on that GPU.

For example on SWBF3 the 390X does 36 FPS,sure is not 60,but is ultra 4k,dropping to high should deliver a considerable boost to performance.

So 4k is doable contrary to what even i my self believe.

So i have a couple of question.

1-Can the PS4 Neo eat some sales from PC.?

2-Will PC gamers with mid rage or low start looking the PS4 neo in a favorable way.

3-If the price is $400 like it is being rumor will any of the Hermits here jump,specially those with GPU under the R390X or equivalent on Nvidia side.

I think that if $400 holds as the price the Neo PS4 can be quite popular and will introduce some real competition for PC,sure like always you will get more power on PC,but a Polaris 10 like GPU inside the PS4 for $400 when most PC gamers don't have that king of power will surely draw some PC gamers in.

Even at $500 still is a pretty good deal for gamers on PC and outside as well,considering that is the price of a Rage Fury stand alone,it was even more a few months ago like $600 for some models.

I also think MS will not play alone with this,i think MS will deliver a slim this year probably or summer 2017 the most,i don't think the will fallow,and i think MS recent move to migrate exclusives to PC is probably a way to counter the PS4 Neo,they most have found sony was doing this and started to move its exclusive to PC so you want to run Forza better do it on widnows 10 PC,sure it put it at a disadvantage at price but the option is there.

By the way i am jumping in on the PS4 neo it will be a great deal if the price is $400 or $500.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44178 Posts

My PS Bore.5 >>>>>> Your PS Bore.0 lol :P

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I hope MS doesn't come out with an X1.5 and there's no way a minimal upgrade like PS4.5 is going to make PC fans flock to it when their PC can be upgraded, and for cheaper. Consoles do not need upgrades. Just release a new console.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

What am I missing? Will the PS4K have some sort of secret sauce? The rumored GPU mixed with the CPU and RAM will provide proper 1080p 60fps gaming. 4K? Lol no. And steal PC gamers? Uh, you do know that some badass new GPUs and CPUs are about to drop right? And GDDR5 will be "outdated" come this summer.

What CPU and RAM is being used in that benchmark. Most publications I've read, including DF are concerned about the CPU hurting the PS4K. I bet that benchmark is using a i7 5930/5960X or newer. The PS4K will have an overclocked mobile equivalent. So you can't compare the two.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I wont jump ship from pc, but I'm more likely to buy a ps4.5 than I was of getting a ps4.

There is still the problem of no games,(none I have interest in) apart from bloodbourne, I don't think I can stomach playing bloodbourne in 30fps, if it's patched for ps4.5 to run at 60fps then I might bite.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

So what you're saying I'm able to play Star Citizen on Neo PS4? If that's a NO, then end of discussion.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I like the price point and specs but specs aren't the only reason why would any gamer including PC gamers would be interested. You still have to pay PS+ to play online and Sony have no plans for backward compatibility, these things are free on PC. The PS4 have lack of external hard drive support for games and have limited internal hard drive space limits, not sure if the NeO is following this. PC aren't limited in using one peripherals too such as controllers, cameras and VR devices. The PlayStation Kinect and camera are so outdated and PSVR is the weakest of the bunch plus the DS4 with its features are useless for PC gaming. If some PS4 owners aren't jumping on the NeO what makes you think PC gamers would, because of just specs that will be outdated by the time it's out, you need more reasons to get a confirm purchase. Nice advertisement though.

If anything PC gamers would be interested in what MS is working on since the Xbox ecosystem runs across consoles and PC gaming plus you get nice initiatives like buying this version and get that version free type of deals. Plus with Xbox Live, the service is more unified and established than PSN on PC platforms, PSN is still at its toddler stage and doesn't exist in PC gaming.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

The console is still wayyyy to underpowered for PC gamers. No movement will be made.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

"true 4k gaming"

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

4K? Seriously?

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Real PC gamers will have no reaction to this cause they not leaving the PC to game on the Playstation or Xbox, those will always be just secondary consoles to them will their gaming rig. No matter what Playstation and/or potentially Xbox does with an upgrading system that can be upgradable, they'll still be a step behind a true gaming rig.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I have zero interest. I got my PS4 for free and has been pretty disappointing thus far. Making me shell out money for an incremental upgrade of a system I'm already just playing on the side, well, it's just not going to happen.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@davillain- said:

So what you're saying I'm able to play Star Citizen on Neo PS4? If that's a NO, then end of discussion.

lol by the time it's ready to come out with this PS4 neo announcement It will probably be ported.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6043 Posts

LOL Thread

If your expecting a PS4.5 containing a graphics card equivalent to a PC card costing $600+ is going to sell for $400 your deluded. But we new this about the tc already.

Its already been said the PS4.5 is aiming for 1080p gaming

Jshoelace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jshoelace
Member since 2008 • 846 Posts

Not interested at all. It's the games I'm interested in, not the power of the console I'm playing it on. I am more than happy with my PC (which I game at 4k anyway) and Wii U combo plus the various handhelds I have. The only thing that will make me buy a Ps4 is the games, which at this point don't interest me.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By casharmy

@kvally said:

The console is still wayyyy to underpowered for PC gamers. No movement will be made.

lol most PC gamers don't have rigs as powerful as what the PS4 neo is suggesting now. With console optimization it's going to see crazy good performance compared to similar PC hardware.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

I'll most likely upgrade my ps4 if the difference is big enough, still wont be my main platform to play on. Sure some low-mid end PC gamers might buy ps4 instead of upgrading, hard to speculate

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I dont think it will sway that many current PC gamers to switch, maybe it will make them get one on the side if the graphics can compete more with PC offerings.

Its still a console and you cannot take out the video card and put in a more powerful one whenever you want...you cannot just install any 3rd party program you want, it has to he an app from the PSN/XBL store, etc.....well, as far as we know from the rumors anyways.

I think this is targeted to the console gamers mostly, who value strong performance in a console. Like I said before, from my perspective this Gen has been talking about graphics for consoles more than previous Gens imo, maybe I'm wrong I didn't frequent the boards as much before, but these days one of the first thing you see in headlines and board topics for a game is graphics comparison with detailed resolutions and frame rates analysis....for the console gamers who really care about that stuff, that is who I believe is the main target of these rumored new consoles

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Wizard
Member since 2015 • 940 Posts

@tormentos:

A Polaris 36CU 911 mhz GPU will deliver considerable performance and true 4k gaming,sure it may not be 60FPS but then again we are on console 30FPS is the norm,and that is achievable on that GPU.

LOL!

No. Just no.

First of all, there aren't any single graphics cards out there that are truly "4k" video cards. Battlefront runs well, but what about Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and upcoming big games for Q3-4? I'd argue that the 980 Ti and Fury X aren't 4k relevant for late 2016. Also, why are you placing the PS4K that high up on the list? It won't be close to any of those high end cards, I'd put it around the R9 280x. Unplayable. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable could comment but the PS4K is at 8GB TOTAL memory, while 4k gaming video cards (Fury X HBM not included) are at 6+. A 980 Ti has 336/GB of bandwidth and a 384-bit bus to put things into perspective. PS4K is looking at 256-bit bus, 230(ish) GB/S, and possibly 3-4GB max for video memory. Quite the disadvantage.

Why are you comparing the PS4K to a 390X? The 390X is a $400 dollar 6-TFLOP GPU, and likely far better than what is going to be in the PS4. Why would PC gamers pay the price to move to an entirely new platform, buying new games, online passes, in a (previously) thought to be stagnant ecosystem versus just upgrading to a superior GPU at $400-500 - 390X, GTX980? Or better yet, Polaris and Pascal will come out at the same time at the same price point as the PS4K. All will outperform the new consoles without any of the bullshit that comes with owning a console.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

How do these specs compare with current PC hardware? What would be the Nvidia equivalent?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@tormentos

If someone is to lose sales over this upgrade is PS4 over PCs and not PCs over PS4. Period.

Also , comparing old PC parts ( or current even ) to PS4 neos hardware when we are around the corner of new age of GPUs is also a facepalm. If you want your topic to have some sort of credibility you need to compare the future PS4 NEO hardware to future PC GPUs that will arrive.

And in the end of the day , Consoles are NOT PCs so comparing those 2 is a nonsense to begin with while its the only excuse you can come up with for SONYs decision for upgrades when over 20 years now the sale point of consoles aside their exclusives was this one , universal system that dont need upgrades for an entire generation

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

TC, post like this get Lems/Hermits blood boiling for two different reasons. Great Work.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Lolno. The Pascal and Polaris techs will be available on PCs so I don't see what your point is.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#25 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Nah.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

No thanks, im buying NX and upgrading my PC. My PC only needs a new processor, so ill just drop $100 on her and call it a day.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44178 Posts

lol

:P

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

It does true 4K like the Xbox One does true 1080p?

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

The implications of a new PS4 and how can it take away some fans from PC.

Don´t say pendejadas El Tomato, no PC gamer in his/her right mind is going to change his/hers peecee for a PoS4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

LOL!

No. Just no.

First of all, there aren't any single graphics cards out there that are truly "4k" video cards. Battlefront runs well, but what about Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and upcoming big games for Q3-4? I'd argue that the 980 Ti and Fury X aren't 4k relevant for late 2016. Also, why are you placing the PS4K that high up on the list? It won't be close to any of those high end cards, I'd put it around the R9 280x. Unplayable. Perhaps somebody more knowledgeable could comment but the PS4K is at 8GB TOTAL memory, while 4k gaming video cards (Fury X HBM not included) are at 6+. A 980 Ti has 336/GB of bandwidth and a 384-bit bus to put things into perspective. PS4K is looking at 256-bit bus, 230(ish) GB/S, and possibly 3-4GB max for video memory. Quite the disadvantage.

Why are you comparing the PS4K to a 390X? The 390X is a $400 dollar 6-TFLOP GPU, and likely far better than what is going to be in the PS4. Why would PC gamers pay the price to move to an entirely new platform, buying new games, online passes, in a (previously) thought to be stagnant ecosystem versus just upgrading to a superior GPU at $400-500 - 390X, GTX980? Or better yet, Polaris and Pascal will come out at the same time at the same price point as the PS4K. All will outperform the new consoles without any of the bullshit that comes with owning a console.

LOL everyone on here that has a true gaming rig says that it can barely output 4k res for games so I know the Playstation won't get close to achieving that. That's how nonsense gets started though cause someone will read what he is saying and won't know any better and take him at his word and spread it around like it's a fact.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@GoldenElementXL said:

What am I missing? Will the PS4K have some sort of secret sauce? The rumored GPU mixed with the CPU and RAM will provide proper 1080p 60fps gaming. 4K? Lol no. And steal PC gamers? Uh, you do know that some badass new GPUs and CPUs are about to drop right? And GDDR5 will be "outdated" come this summer.

What CPU and RAM is being used in that benchmark. Most publications I've read, including DF are concerned about the CPU hurting the PS4K. I bet that benchmark is using a i7 5930/5960X or newer. The PS4K will have an overclocked mobile equivalent. So you can't compare the two.

He is a bit over reacting lol, but gpu bound games at current console setting has a chance of doing 4k 30fps. This is if polaris is truly what ps4k will have. It may have the so called mobile jaguar cpu. Technically it will be the strongest of its kind still is an 8 core cpu even if it sux. Star Wars Battlefront at Ultra settings paired up with a powefull gpu and an a10 7870k apu average fps is 90. That shows you the headroom even if we don't want to be generous and say the cpu on ps4 doesn't come close to that apu, at ultra that the maximum cpu task that game is asking. My point for this reply is that yes he is over reacting but 4k is not necessary about cpu. So yes not all games but some games will be able to do 4k 30fps at acceptable current console settings or even higher.

And no this will not take away pc fans.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

I think the appeal of owning a PC comes from it's versatility and freedom. Are they going to open up the system to install thrid-party software? Can I put windows or linux on my PS4.5? Power is a small part of what makes PC great.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9874 Posts

For the most hardcore PC gamers there's obviously no chance. But a shorter cycle means the maximum gap between PC and consoles will not be as large. That creates less of an incentive to change to PC mid cycle when the performance difference is massive without costing a fortune. So there's something to be said about that. On the other hand some console gamers may just go PC if they view the main benefit of a console to be the 5+ years AAA compatibility promise.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

I'm sure it may very well intice some people to go to the PS4.5 instead of PC as there primary gaming system but personally for me I will stick to PC as I want the BEST POSSIBLE EXPERIENCE for the games that do come out on multiple system including the PC and that will continue to be as its always been only something you can get on a high end gaming PC.

I could sell my GTX 970 right now and buy a GTX 980Ti from EVGA for $200-$300 extra plus the money from the GTX 970 being sold and use there 90Day upgrade program to switch to the GTX1080/1070 when it comes out and even the GTX 980ti would be more then enough to beat the PS4.5 but I am happy with my overclocked GTX 970 performance for now.

And my overclocked i7 920 is approaching its ten year anniversary in 2 more years but its still going strong as well as the original motherboard but I may very well upgrade to a 6 core server proccessor that does work in the lga1336 socket leaving only the original motherboard behind from when I built my gaming pc back in 2008 every other part including the case and even the DVD drives have been replaced not counting maybe a cable in there might be from back in 2008 lol

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wizard

@BigShotSmoov007:

Happens every time a new console comes out. The rabid fanboys think that somehow AMD/Nvidia is cramming their top of the line hardware into a tiny air cooled box with one or two sub 92mm fans at less than $400. Because somehow thermodynamics, cost, and technological limitations don't apply to consoles. Because Sony?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@the_master_race said:

Love it! Also true. PC gaming is it's own kind of fun. People who like PC gaming won't jump ship to a console over a single upgrade. Not happening :) I love the concept of the Neo, specifically to extend this particular generation. However, I see nothing about it that would supplant my PC gaming whatsoever.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@wizard said:

@tormentos:

LOL!

No. Just no.

His post went way way over the top. I'm normally sympathetic and like to look at new architectures. This thread made me cringe. What he should have done is ask if ps4k will be able to run some few gpu bound games at 4k 30fps console level settings. To answer some of memory concerns is if ps4k will be using polaris these are the benefits its bringing "improved shader efficiency,” “memory compression,” “better instruction pre-fetch,” etc.

He has outdone himself this time lol.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@casharmy said:
@kvally said:

lol most PC gamers don't have rigs as powerful as what the PS4 neo is suggesting now. With console optimization it's going to see crazy good performance compared to similar PC hardware.

Most hardcore PC gamers have PCs much more powerful than the PS4.1.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

let's see :

-----------------------------------------------------------

Flagship GPUPolaris 10Vega 10NVIDIA GP100
GPU ProcessGloFo 14nm FinFETGloFo 14nm FinFETTSMC 16nm FinFET
GPU TransistorsTBC15-18 Billion15.3 Billion
HBM Memory (Consumers)GDDR5/XHBM2Up to 16 GB (SK Hynix/Samsung)
HBM2
HBM Memory (Dual-Chip Professional/ HPC)GDDR5/XHBM2Up to 16/32 GB (SK Hynix/Samsung) HBM2
HBM2 Bandwidth512 GB/s1 TB/s (Peak)1 TB/s (Peak)
Graphics ArchitectureGCN 4.0 (Polaris)GCN 4.0 (Vega)5th Gen Pascal CUDA
Successor of (GPU)Fiji (Radeon 300)Polaris 10 (Radeon 400)GM200 (Maxwell)
Launch201620172016-2017

Read more: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-volta-gpus-sc15/#ixzz46NdgQhp9

---------------------------------------------------------

Peak pixel
fill rate
(Gpixels/s)
Peak
bilinear
filtering
int8/fp16
(Gtexels/s)
Peak
shader
arithmetic
rate
(tflops)
Peak
rasterization
rate
(Gtris/s)
Memory
bandwidth
(GB/s)
Radeon R9 28529103/513.33.7176
Radeon R9 280X32128/644.12.0288
Radeon R9 29061152/764.83.8320
Radeon R9 290X64176/885.64.0320
GeForce GTX 77035139/1393.34.3224
GeForce GTX 78043173/1734.24.5288
GeForce GTX 780 Ti45223/2235.34.6336
GeForce GTX 97075123/1233.94.7224
Asus Strix GTX 97080130/1304.25.0224
GeForce GTX 98078156/1565.04.9224
---------------------------------------------------PS4PS "NEO"
CPU CodenameJaguarJaguar
Primary CPU Configuration4 + 44 + 4
Auxiliary ProcessorYesYes
Clock Rate1.6 Ghz2.1 Ghz
GPU CodenamePitcairn derivativePolaris derivative
Control Units1836
Stream Processors (SP)11522304 (TBD)
GPU Clock800 Mhz911 Mhz
Memory Clock (Effective)1375Mhz (5500 Mhz)1703Mhz (6812 Mhz)
Memory Bus256256
Rated Floating Point1.84 TFLOPs4.19 TFLOPs >>> (TBD)
Bandwidth176 GB/s218 GB/s
Unified Memory8GB GDDR5 (+250 MB DDR3)8GB GDDR5 (+250 MB DDR3)
Process28nm Planar14nm FinFET
N/A

Read more: http://wccftech.com/sony-ps-neo-polaris-gpu-4-19-tflops/#ixzz46NbuVtIt

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#40 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Unless hardware development stops, I don't see much changing. The Neo at release will not be state-of-the-art, in one year even less, and so on and on. As I see it the Neo will be what should have been the basic PS4, regardless of cows delirious worship of the magical "supercharged" PC.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Will it be able to run the subHD Crapzone in HD?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

If someone is a fan of PC I don't think a new console will change their preferences lol I would rather invest into new gpu.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@wizard:

Yeah no matter whet upgrades it may have, it week still be behind the PC so puerile need to curb their hopes lol. Plus, how much does it cost to build or make a PC that can run true 4k? Unless people want $1000 PS4K, really there isn't any chance of that happening, I was schooled in that theory really quick.

Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Wizard

@ellos: You're right, Polaris is definitely an "X" factor. I'm basing the PS4K on what the trends are. Even if the PS4K has a TFLOP/Performance (LOL, that metric haha) ratio similar to Nvidia's Maxwell it's still not going to be 4K ready. He's delusional.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@tormentos Pretty sure Battlefront isn't exactly playable at 30fps. Most multiplayer FPS games aside from the older Halo titles are 60fps. Even KZ ditched 30fps in favor of 60fps in multiplayer.

Your premise is also flawed. PC gamers will want 1080p/1440p at 60fps and those who play 4K usually have pretty damn powerful hardware to push it beyond 30fps. No PC gamers will ditch PC to play on consoles at 30fps even at 4K.

Edit: Also, NO to all your questions.

@casharmy Console optimization? Is this 1998?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

The glaring issue I have with this is the theory this console will be able to potential play most games at 1080p 30fps or 60fps bit the current ps4 is doing that with a lot of games already. So are they going to start to gimp the res and frames of the current console to try and push the sales of the newer version by saying play the game at full 1080p 30fps or 60fps but on the first ps4 it will only be 900p 30fps? If this truly can't and most likely won't play games 4k then what is the incentive for people to even upgrade?

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Besides do you know that a new console will put Sony back to install base zero. And Sony again will have to climb back sales wise to make their new console relevant for the developers again. NOBODY will support a new console unless it show groundbreaking sales again, and I don't think Sony will be able to pull out the same bunny from the hat twice. Many Sony gamers, not fanboys like TC, are not very pleased with Sony having discarded them so early. So I doubt that the new console will have the same success as PS4 as people will probably don't trust Sony anymore. Sony promised GAMES. And only decent thing we have so far is just Bloodborne. And after that, PS4 generation has practically ended. Meanwhile PC is now a beacon of stability - we keep our extensive games library no matter what. The only thing that we need to upgrade is GPU every 3 years, which for many is just cheaper and more effective gaming wise than buying a new console every 3 years. The gpu for that money is a powerful beast, meanwhile a console for the same money will bring a just mediocre gpu inside paired with other same or slightly updated mediocre components. On PC we can invest only in those components that we actually need, meanwhile on console you don't have the same luxury - you have to buy the whole package of below average and average components again.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

This thread kinda didn't go the way TC hoped. Don't worry he'll be in soon to tell you all how wtong you are lol

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By casharmy

@wizard said:

@ellos: You're right, Polaris is definitely an "X" factor. I'm basing the PS4K on what the trends are. Even if the PS4K has a TFLOP/Performance (LOL, that metric haha) ratio similar to Nvidia's Maxwell it's still not going to be 4K ready. He's delusional.

Loading Video...

Digital Foundry: "..Basicaly, we only have 2 possible options here, the Tonga chip found in radion R9 380x or the upcoming Polaris 10, now this (380x) only has 32 comput units so it's really not a good fit"

R9 380x benchmarks

Loading Video...

These are the settings...at 4k, the 380 is 4 compute units less that what is said to be in PS4 neo.

Take that for what you will :)

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 casharmy

@jhonMalcovich said:

Besides do you know that a new console will put Sony back to install base zero. And Sony again will have to climb back sales wise to make their new console relevant for the developers again. NOBODY will support a new console unless it show groundbreaking sales again, and I don't think Sony will be able to pull out the same bunny from the hat twice. Many Sony gamers, not fanboys like TC, are not very pleased with Sony having discarded them so early. So I doubt that the new console will have the same success as PS4 as people will probably don't trust Sony anymore. Sony promised GAMES. And only decent thing we have so far is just Bloodborne. And after that, PS4 generation has practically ended. Meanwhile PC is now a beacon of stability - we keep our extensive games library no matter what.

LMAO...except, it's NOT a NEW console.

Your argument was already a failiure from the first sentence