The most technically advanced game 4 any gen console?

• 76 results
Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

So yeh what game/s do you consider to be the most technically advanced on any gen console?

You can also name games that you feel will be most technical once they are released.

So just to clarify you could name the most technical advanced game for ps2 ps3 etc and explain why you think it was ahead of the game (excuse the pun).

I will start the ball rollin with gt2 on the ps1, back in the day no other racer came close to gt2, cars looked great for the time, you could actually see the wheels on the car turn in accordance with the amount acceleration, (if that makes sense) car handling was super realistic, and just the whole structure of the game was a joy to play through, and those endurance races were killer, i did one with the Escudo it was hectic!

Razik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2 Razik
Member since 2015 • 965 Posts

Gears 3 it looked a gen ahead of everything else last gen

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

Dreamcast

• Shenmue
  • Shenmue 2

Playstation 2

• Grand Theft Auto : SA

Gamecube

• Resident Evil 4

PS3 / X360

• Grand Theft Auto V

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Inb4 UC4 for this gen.

It's not out yet , and it's just a sequel.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

@gameofthering said:

Dreamcast

• Shenmue
  • Shenmue 2

Playstation 2

Gamecube

• Resident Evil 4

PS3 / X360

• Grand Theft Auto V

This is a very good list

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@walloftruth said:

Inb4 UC4 for this gen.

I nostalgia so much every time I see an awesome metal slug sprite.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

technically advanced? I would say Steel Battalion.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10635 Posts

For me on the technical level, I would have to say Motorstorm: Pacific Rift. It didn't look the best last gen but besides open world games, I'm inclined to say that it was one of the most technically advanced if not the most technically advanced game out last gen, especially in the racing genre.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44214 Posts

Crackdown 3. :P

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9885 Posts

GTA V did some miracle work on Ps3/X360. Both the open world stuff and setpieces. Speaking of which still not sure how Sony Santa Monica did their GOW3 magic. This gen UC4 has the most insane setpiece I've seen thus far.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Crackdown 3. :P

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I have no idea how they fit GTA V on the PS3 and 360. That's some wizardry.

No Man's Sky and Uncharted 4 are probably going to be the biggest technical wonders we'll see on a console for awhile. Though I bet that changes when Rockstar puts out their next open world game. GTA V on the PS4/Xbox One is very impressive already.

Out of all of the console games right now, Killzone Shadow Fall is probably the best looking and most technologically advanced once I've seen. It's a really good looking game. Ryse is pretty impressive on the Xbox One. I think the big ones are coming yet. Halo 5 is going to be very good on the Xbox One (the single player will look fantastic) and obviously Uncharted 4 on the PS4.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44643 Posts

Dead Rising 3 got a lot of shit for the character models and technical nitpicking over framerate and resolution, whereas I kind of appreciated the fact that contextually yeah they're going to be of lower quality when the game is rendering hundreds of NPCs at once in an open world environment. I'm surprised the mostly negligible performance hiccups aren't far worse, all things considered. As far as the balance of everything went I think they handled it rather well. I just think people were bitching about it because it was on the Xbox One, so guilt by association, plus it was rather in-vogue to kick it in the balls whenever possible.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

@VanDammFan: definitely steel Battalion.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@ominous_titan said:

@VanDammFan: definitely steel Battalion.

yea..thats just my feelings..The graphics might not blow people away,but the control system alone wins..lol..risky game and controller launch. Didnt really make the tidal wave they thought but still..cool..

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Factually there can be only one.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@razik said:

A gen ahead of GTA V or Uncharted 2/3/Last of Us? This a joke? I mean it possibly belongs on a top 10 of technical/graphics quality last gen, but i don't think it's even #1 - let alone a "gen ahead".

I'm going to go with GTA V.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I have no idea how they fit GTA V on the PS3 and 360. That's some wizardry.

No Man's Sky and Uncharted 4 are probably going to be the biggest technical wonders we'll see on a console for awhile. Though I bet that changes when Rockstar puts out their next open world game. GTA V on the PS4/Xbox One is very impressive already.

Out of all of the console games right now, Killzone Shadow Fall is probably the best looking and most technologically advanced once I've seen. It's a really good looking game. Ryse is pretty impressive on the Xbox One. I think the big ones are coming yet. Halo 5 is going to be very good on the Xbox One (the single player will look fantastic) and obviously Uncharted 4 on the PS4.

I just got through Killzone SF and it honestly had the opposite impact on me. I think Geurilla got really lazy with that one or didn't put nearly as much care into it as they did the PS3 games. I had just played Wolfenstein, and I felt Killzone was a drastically inferior experience. Maybe it had a few tricks up it's leaves where the visuals were superior, but those moments were fleeting. The PS3 games had an argument for "graphics king" at the time of their releases, but I don't think anyone can make that case for Shadow Fall. Additionally, the level layouts and art of this game just continue to get worse. I used to defend Killzone against the haters (and rightfully so, because they were great on PS3) - but this one? Not so good IMO.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i'd have to say Silent Storm on the PC way back in 2004. It was a real time/turnbased strategy game which had some crazy tech behind it. Everything in the game was destructable, and another thing that really was impressive was the physics, and the way the game kept track of all the environment damage and bullet holes. I remember shooting people through glass and doors, and even down staircases in the game, the physics were very realistic.

And for any other games out there that have extensive destructable environments are very impressive also. Any time i see a game with them it really brings a lot more fun being able to shape the way you take care of bad guys by blowing up everything around them.

miiiiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By miiiiv
Member since 2013 • 943 Posts

PS1

• Quake 2 (really good port considering the ps1 hardware)

PS2

• Black
  • Ratchet and Clank 2 (looked great and ran at a very stable 60 fps)
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

these are games that i just couldnt believe were running on their native console.

Starfox adventures. technical marvel on the gamecube. rare had a good track record of squeezing great results out of nintendos hardware and that continued on the GC. great looking game. i think all the loading was hidden in the background too which gives a game majir brownie points in my book. RE4 is also worth a mention...hard to believe the little box could do it.

xenoblade chronicles on the wii. i can see the shortcuts taken. the dev used every trick in the book....then invented some new tricks. even with all the tricks and compromises i still dont understand how they managed to get the game running on the wii at all. runs well too even when it gets busy on the screen.

moon on the DS. renegade kid managed to squeez amazing results out of the DS. mario kard DS was also very impressive.

killzone mercenary on the vita. they did a brilliant job with the tech. wipeout on the vita is also worth a mention. ubisoft also managed to get very close to delivering a full creed on the vita which is very impressive. i reckon they could do it if they took another crack at it.

the last of us on the PS3. not a fan of the game really but credit where its due...ND managed to beat the PS3 into submission.....eventually. GOW3 was also very impressive.

Gears 3 on the 360 was also excellent and really pushed the 360. 2 was the big push in tech but 3 was the final icing on the cake.

halo 2 on the first xbox is a miracle. the first xbox simply should not be able to run the game. but it did and it did a good job of it too.

The PC can be harder to call on this one but some games that i think set the bar and really pushed the PCs of the day.

outcast. it had this amazing organic look that was very different from the usual and it made the game stand out. it also pulled off some graphics tricks we souldnt see again for another 2-3 years (things like the water were incredible for their time). the AI was also brilliant and the areas to explore were vast.

crysis of course. nuff said. in fairness pretty much anything by crytek until crysis 2.

im going to have to raise my flame shield for this but i think GTA4 is also worth a mention. yes the bugs and bloat...but it was also everything i like to see in a port. it was very scalable and really allowed the player to push the tech out, hardware willing.

ultima 9 ascension: poor game and also bugged to buggery but it had a large world to explore with no loading screens and was quite technically advanced.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

@osan0 said:

these are games that i just couldnt believe were running on their native console.

Starfox adventures. technical marvel on the gamecube. rare had a good track record of squeezing great results out of nintendos hardware and that continued on the GC. great looking game. i think all the loading was hidden in the background too which gives a game majir brownie points in my book. RE4 is also worth a mention...hard to believe the little box could do it.

xenoblade chronicles on the wii. i can see the shortcuts taken. the dev used every trick in the book....then invented some new tricks. even with all the tricks and compromises i still dont understand how they managed to get the game running on the wii at all. runs well too even when it gets busy on the screen.

moon on the DS. renegade kid managed to squeez amazing results out of the DS. mario kard DS was also very impressive.

killzone mercenary on the vita. they did a brilliant job with the tech. wipeout on the vita is also worth a mention. ubisoft also managed to get very close to delivering a full creed on the vita which is very impressive. i reckon they could do it if they took another crack at it.

the last of us on the PS3. not a fan of the game really but credit where its due...ND managed to beat the PS3 into submission.....eventually. GOW3 was also very impressive.

Gears 3 on the 360 was also excellent and really pushed the 360. 2 was the big push in tech but 3 was the final icing on the cake.

halo 2 on the first xbox is a miracle. the first xbox simply should not be able to run the game. but it did and it did a good job of it too.

The PC can be harder to call on this one but some games that i think set the bar and really pushed the PCs of the day.

outcast. it had this amazing organic look that was very different from the usual and it made the game stand out. it also pulled off some graphics tricks we souldnt see again for another 2-3 years (things like the water were incredible for their time). the AI was also brilliant and the areas to explore were vast.

crysis of course. nuff said. in fairness pretty much anything by crytek until crysis 2.

im going to have to raise my flame shield for this but i think GTA4 is also worth a mention. yes the bugs and bloat...but it was also everything i like to see in a port. it was very scalable and really allowed the player to push the tech out, hardware willing.

ultima 9 ascension: poor game and also bugged to buggery but it had a large world to explore with no loading screens and was quite technically advanced.

Why should halo 2 have not been on the system? It was built for the xbox and ported to pc 3 years later.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts

@augustevans: i think somehting may have been lost in translation :S.

i didnt mean the game shouldnt have been on the system. i meant the game was a technical miracle, it shouldnt have been able to run on the system. it had massive levels that were pretty open with a huge visual upgrade from halo 1 and it still ran smoothly. bungie managed to pull all that off on the first xbox. pretty darn impressive. little to no loading too is always a nice win.

some games are like that..technical miracles. they squeez every last drop of horsepower out of a console...then the developer finds some more.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Uncharted 4 this gen, led by 2 time top 4 and top 5 GOAT dev naughty gods.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

PS1: Crash Bandicoot
PS2: Jak 3
PS3: Uncharted 2
PS4: Uncharted 4

Thank you naughty gods.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

Rare games.

They got so much out of the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Xbox and also Xbox 360. When they released games near launch they were among the most impressive looking games... It kinda stopped when the Kinect games came out.

Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES)

Conker (Xbox)

Viva Pinata (Xbox 360)

I wish I could play a lot of Rare games running natively at 1080/60... Heck, most of them (mostly Conker and 360 games) would still look great today.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice

@R4gn4r0k:

My love for you is a RARE thing indeed. :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46521 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@R4gn4r0k:

I love these guys!

I love that people are loving the Rare collection and that more people will get to enjoy their amazing games thanks to the Rare collection ^^

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SecretPolice said:

@R4gn4r0k:

I love these guys!

I love that people are loving the Rare collection and that more people will get to enjoy their amazing games thanks to the Rare collection ^^

Yeah man, MS done good for X1 gamers and I truly never seen it coming, good stuff.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

@ten_pints said:

PS1: Crash Bandicoot

PS2: Jak 3

PS3: Uncharted 2

PS4: Uncharted 4

Thank you naughty gods.

YES

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@gameofthering said:

Dreamcast

• Shenmue
  • Shenmue 2

Playstation 2

Gamecube

• Resident Evil 4

PS3 / X360

• Grand Theft Auto V

Some guy is asking $200 for a Shenmue 2 import on Amazon. I have enjoyed the first But smell my anus for that price

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#35 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Star Fox Adventures immediately comes to mind. I didn't like the game, but damn were those graphics ahead of their time. Not only was it gorgeous, but it ran in 60fps. It makes me wonder what Rare could have done with Banjo or PDZ on Gamecube.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22864 Posts

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.... looked gorgeous on the OG Xbox. . Even next genish

By comparison every Splinter cell port on the ps2 looked so fugly it hurt.

AugustEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AugustEvans
Member since 2014 • 239 Posts

I'm playing Nina gaiden on the og xbox and it doesn't look like it was made for a console 2 gens ago.

Avatar image for strobelitebunny
StrobeliteBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrobeliteBunny
Member since 2015 • 92 Posts

@gameofthering said:

Dreamcast

• Shenmue
  • Shenmue 2

Playstation 2

Gamecube

• Resident Evil 4

PS3 / X360

• Grand Theft Auto V

I wouldn't use Shenmue for Dreamcast, as it does look good in some areas, it has numerous issues and deson't run well at all.

San Andreas looks pretty bad, only real technical achievement was how big the world was and how much they put in it but outside of that it's pretty poor technically outside that main category.

RE4 is a good choice but PS2 and GC have better looking games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@razik said:

except for like Uncharted 3.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Star Fox on the SNES.

Polygons before polygons were polygons....during the 16 bit era!!!

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

There is only one answer, I don't care if it's a PC game, it was and still is the largest gap in gaming technology ever seen bar Crysis.

Descent: FreeSpace

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@TheEroica said:

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.... looked gorgeous on the OG Xbox. . Even next genish

By comparison every Splinter cell port on the ps2 looked so fugly it hurt.

Yeah, Chaos Theory on Xbox looked amazing for the time. Hell even on PC it's not a terrible looking game today.... besides those hideous face models.

I'd also say Ninja Gaiden Black.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I think people forget just how incredible the original gears looked when they first showed it off.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

MAG on PS3 :)

FantasyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 FantasyGamer
Member since 2015 • 517 Posts

Crysis 3

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

PS360 gen: GOW Acension

PS4 Xbone gen: UC4 / Horizon

Horizon's real time volumetric cloudscape

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#48  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19664 Posts

Gen 2:

• Atari 2600 - Solaris
  • ColecoVision - Turbo
  • Atari 5200 - Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom

Gen 3:

• NES - Tetrastar
  • Sega Master System - Road Rash
  • Atari 7800 - Motor Psycho

Gen 4:

• PC Engine - Gunboat
  • Sega Mega Drive - Virtua Racing
  • SNES - Star Fox
  • Neo Geo - Riding Hero
  • Sega 32X - Metal Head

Gen 5:

• 3DO - The Life Stage: Virtual House
  • Jaguar - Aliens vs Predator
  • Saturn - Digital Dance Mix Vol 1: Namie Amuro
  • PS1 - Gran Turismo 2
  • N64 - Perfect Dark

Gen 6:

• Dreamcast - Shenmue II
  • PS2 - Gran Turismo 4
  • GameCube - Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
  • Xbox - Ninja Gaiden Black

Gen 7:

• Xbox 360 - Grand Theft Auto V
  • Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles
  • PS3 - Yakuza Zero

Gen 8:

• Wii U - Xenoblade Chronicles X
  • PS4 - The Order: 1886
  • Xbone - Ryse: Son of Rome

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts

@augustevans: Good shout!

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#50  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

This gen that is already out Killzone Shadow Fall. Uncharted 4 will take its crown next year.