Ultimate battle: switch vs steam deck (poll)

• 55 results
Avatar image for sheevpalpamemes
SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Ultimate battle: switch vs steam deck (poll) (79 votes)

Switch all the way 38%
Steam Deck 49%
Sheev for system war president. One or more votes makes this official. In sheev we believe. 14%

I’m a switch guy myself. Nintendo appeals more to me.

• 
xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Why not - Sheev for pres

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SheevPalpamemes
Member since 2020 • 2192 Posts

@xantufrog: i promise to do nothing with blistering ignorance. I will update my sig

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59324 Posts

An epic 3 post battle, no doubt.

But it seems Valve has this.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44682 Posts

People seem pretty excited about the Steam Deck, can't say people have this same enthusiasm for Nintendo in a long while.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

Judging by these results Gamespot SW votes you would never know Nintendo is going to sell 10 million Switch's this December and Valve has preorders of 100k (100 times less)

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4585 Posts

Steam Deck all the way. My entire steam library all right there. It doesn't have the must play Nintendo exclusives, but it has so much more variety than the Switch offers. That doesn't even take into consideration the hardware difference. This from a Switch owner who probably won't buy a Steam Deck anytime soon.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Honestly while I love my Switch I vastly prefer the concept and capabilities of the Steam Deck.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Switch probably has much better appeal for the average consoomer. See my previous point about Linux

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9434 Posts

Steam Deck is the more interesting product.

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

For me, I'll probably play the SD more often, and that's simply because I don't play my Switch at all

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@girlusocrazy: that doesn't make sense. Nobody is going to make games "for" the Steam Deck. It's a PC. Just like every other PC on the market, it will run PC games of all sorts at the settings it is capable of. If someone launches a "third party" Steam Deck with twice the power for twice the cost, more power to them and those who would prefer that option - just like getting a 2060 vs 2080TI (in the before times when that was possible :-p )

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5294 Posts

Really, how many Switch vs. Steam Dock threads are we going to have in System Wars?

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SheevPalpamemes

@onesiphorus: I can make a new thread with in a poll asking that question if you like.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By st_monica  Online
Member since 2020 • 1470 Posts

I'm not particularly attracted to Steam's game library as I can play most of the games I want to play on my PS5. On that premise, I find the Switch, which has exclusive titles such as Mario, Zelda, Smash, DK, Fire Emblem, Bayonetta (2&3), Xenoblade, SMT and Metroid, more attractive than the SD.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Honestly, the Steam Deck seem more appealing and well built. I might ditch the PS5 (or XSX) all together for the Steam Deck, tbh. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

I've never got into the Switch, my interest in Nintendo faded after the amazing GC and when those OLED "4K" upgraded Switch Pro rumors were abound a few months ago, I was hoping for that reality. Hoping to rekindle my love for Nintendo. But I guess not.

Oh well, competition is great and now with 2 major handhelds soon in the market, this could look interesting.

EDIT: Also I might add, I'm no PC gamer and the SD may potentially lead me more to be a PC gamer. Just small steps.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11270 Posts

I vote Steam Deck just to make certain sheep cry around these parts

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@xantufrog: I get it, but if there's a largely bought and supported spec of PC hardware, with extra attention and push behind it from Valve, then it could be seen as worth testing on by devs. This could make them take some steps to ensuring a good experience with those specs.

It will have a three year life max. It is not a closed platform, specs will go out of date fast.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19599 Posts

I'll buy a Steam deck. I've also got a Switch. I'll probably play the hell out of both of them.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16597 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

There's one thing going against the Steam Deck. Valve is already thinking of future revisions and trying to get OEMs to make their own version using Valve's framework.

So instead of carrying one spec through 4-6, years, they're looking at the same thing that made the Steam Box irrelevant - a glut of choices with varying specs, support, and build quality, with nothing specific for devs to target.

Valve’s Greg Coomer told IGN that should the Steam Deck succeed, the company’s already thinking about future models, and offering the “building blocks” to other manufacturers as well. “We look at this as just a new category of device in the PC space,” he said.

IMO if they want to get this right, they need to put one spec forward every 4-6 years, and let other OEMs find their own way, making it clear that Valve will be working with devs, and working on Proton, to support Valve's current target spec.

Other OEMs bringing hardware will happen naturally because it is already a thing. Valve should share what they have with them, but they should be focused on their own hardware.

They could tap into an important and unrecognized segment of the gaming market. People who want a console, but are attracted to the library and flexibility of the PC market. They want mods, indies, PC exclusives, and a digital library that will come forward with them without extra work with renegotiating licensing deals or adding support for new hardware capabilities.

This would only work if there is a specific shared hardware platform, building a community of devs and end uses concerned with compatibility with one specific hardware configuration.

This would go a long way to getting people who want a reliable plug and play appliance-like experience to take a chance with PC. It could be a bridge between consoles and PCs like we didn't have before.

Looks like it might end up the same as Steam Box tho.

dude...this is the pc space, where incremental upgrades happen every year. The GPU might stay the same for 15 months or so and the CPU same story, but thats the life cycle, and various venders will follow that. Of course valve made a custom built RDNA2 gpu while working with AMD. Other manufacturers of handhelds may not have the funds to pull together a custom chip combo like valve can, they might just use the integrated graphics. Thats fine as well because the price will also be more affordable. Many older games will run great on integrated graphics.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

A lot of people bitched about Switch being a 720p handheld but now with the Steam Deck coming out and it's basically 720p as well, 720p on a handheld is ok all of sudden. And you have the same people saying why would you buy 3rd party games on Switch when it's inferior to other systems and that can also be said about Steam Deck. Why would I want to dumb down my games to 720p 60hz, when I can just play my Steam games on my PC with higher resolution and FPS?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I already have a pc game for gaming.

I got a switch for a different reason. Nintendo first party titles and impossible ports (not FPS ones).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39698 Posts

The deck is destroying the system with specs from 2006. Not surprising, really.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#25 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

At least the Switch offers IPs and titles I cannot play anywhere else. The Steam Deck would just be redundant to hardware I already have. In fact, I'll go a step further. If Nintendo made a home console version of the Switch that did not include a screen, battery, or dock, that you just plugged straight into your TV and was sold with a Pro controller for say $200, I'd have bought that over the portable version.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1411 Posts

As with everything else concerning PC as a gaming platform, in theory it sounds great, but at a closer look... overhype and suckage.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22969 Posts

Steam deck winning after 50 votes? Whoa.... The revolution is here @SolidGame_basic:

Be excited!

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9600 Posts

I picked Switch overall, but I really want the Steam Deck.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45492 Posts

@TheEroica: how many alt accounts did you make to get those votes lol

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22969 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: 49... Winning!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34770 Posts

Switch is nice because it's pretty small and plays Nintendo games.

Steam Deck is nice because it's like a more powerful Switch, but also a PC and plays all your PC games.

Iunno. Already have a PC, so I don't need a Steam Deck. But I kinda want one. If I ever feel like I need a laptop, I'd probably get a Steam Deck instead.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Nintendo makes a game I like once every 5 years and has the worst ecosystem under the sun. This thing lets me play my hundreds of PC games in handheld format. #teamdeck

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#33  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17908 Posts

Steam Deck is way better than the Switch. Better hardware, better games. Switch is just trash. I wish Nintendo wasn't limited by such shit hardware. Nintendo games usually aren't that good and they don't really make AAA games anymore except for Breath of the Wild, which is way better on PC anyway.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

In terms hardware the switch deck wins hands down but the switch already has a huge userbase. The oled will fly off the shelves.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Really, how many Switch vs. Steam Dock threads are we going to have in System Wars?

If it helps keeping SW active, I'd welcome the help.

@BassMan said:

Steam Deck is way better than the Switch. Better hardware, better games. Switch is just trash. I wish Nintendo wasn't limited by such shit hardware. Nintendo games usually aren't that good and they don't really make AAA games anymore except for Breath of the Wild, which is way better on PC anyway.

I like Nintendo since the dawn of SNES but even I can admit that was a different company back than despite the name, I'm starting to feel tired-ish on their games. I still appreciate their games like Pokemon, Zelda, and few more but at this point, if the Steam Deck becomes successful and in Japan, Nintendo is gonna have to step up their A game and get with the program.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BassMan
@davillain- said:

@BassMan said:

I like Nintendo since the dawn of SNES but even I can admit that was a different company back than despite the name, I'm starting to feel tired-ish on their games. I still appreciate their games like Pokemon, Zelda, and few more but at this point, if the Steam Deck becomes successful and in Japan, Nintendo is gonna have to step up their A game and get with the program.

Sony and MS are working with systems that push out 10-12 TFlops and Nintendo is still rocking 0.5 TFlops hardware. Absolutely pathetic.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I would think that since Steam Deck allows more than one OS, and Yuzu is compatible with Linux and windows, you could also play Nintendo games on the Steam Deck if you wanted to. Since none of Nintendo's games are that graphically demanding, you could get 60 FPS easily on the Steam Deck.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

xCloud. :P

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xantufrog  Moderator

Surprised to see the Steam Deck winning.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SheevPalpamemes

@xantufrog said:

Surprised to see the Steam Deck winning.

New era of toilet gaming?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45492 Posts

@davillain-: I'm pretty he's the same dude that whines about everything in this forum 😄

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Eoten
@BassMan said:
@davillain- said:
@BassMan said:

Sony and MS are working with systems that push out 10-12 TFlops and Nintendo is still rocking 0.5 TFlops hardware. Absolutely pathetic.

Yet, Nintendo is on pace to having one of the best selling consoles of all time while the other two are struggling just to release anything someone may want to buy their system for. I'll tell you a little secret. Outside of an extremely loud, rather trolly, but extremely small group of rapid toxic fanboys looking for a technical way to measure their camp's dicks, most gamers really couldn't give two shits about hardware specs, or graphics and are just looking for a fun way to pass some time.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BassMan

@eoten: PS5 and XSX are sold out constantly. So, they are not struggling at all. People want them because they are good consoles with good games. Nintendo relies on nostalgia and dumb fanboys for sales. I know the average person has low standards and doesn't really care about quality. That is why mobile gaming is the biggest money maker. People are dumb and waste money on micro-transactions and stupid shit. Overall sales are not what is important. Quality is.

McDonald's sells more burgers than anyone. Do they have the best burger? Not even close. Don't fall victim to marketing and stupidity. Enjoy the finer things in life. Strive for quality.

SheevPalpamemes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SheevPalpamemes

@BassMan said:

@eoten: PS5 and XSX are sold out constantly. So, they are not struggling at all. People want them because they are good consoles with good games. Nintendo relies on nostalgia and dumb fanboys for sales. I know the average person has low standards and doesn't really care about quality. That is why mobile gaming is the biggest money maker. People are dumb and waste money on micro-transactions and stupid shit. Overall sales are not what is important. Quality is.

McDonald's sells more burgers than anyone. Do they have the best burger? Not even close. Don't fall victim to marketing and stupidity. Enjoy the finer things in life. Strive for quality.

Is Steam Deck prime rib?

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8466 Posts

If Steam Deck flops then it just goes to show how delusional SW is to reality.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Where's the "I don't give a shit" option?

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts
@jaydan said:

If Steam Deck flops then it just goes to show how delusional SW is to reality.

I don't think it will flop, but I have a really tough time believing it will make a dent in Nintendo's sales. Guess we'll see.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eoten

@BassMan said:

They are struggling, considerably. A big reason why they are sold out constantly is a lack of supply and that lack of supply is partly due to the silicon shortage but also a large part due to the design of the PS5 and Series X. Using cheaper and more readily available components, you know, that "last gen" tech people are always criticizing Nintendo for using, is why their shit is actually available for people to purchase.

If you want to talk about falling victim to marketing and stupidity, how about two major console manufacturers trying to sell people a new system based on hardware specs and no actual titles to market? There was a time in gaming history where if a console was released without launch titles it would have been seen as an embarrassment.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

It won't make a dent in switch sales the 64gb version is worthless.