What game got the most undeserved hate last gen?

• 53 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45289 Posts

I'm going with Death Stranding. It got a lot of hate for being a walking simulator, but it's actually a fun game. There's also a shooting component to it that often gets overlooked. The story had a cool premise, but I admit the characters weren't that great. The marketing of the game also didn't do a good job of explaining what the game was really about or what made it interesting. But overall, great game. I'm glad I gave it a chance.

How about you, SW? What game got the most undeserved hate last gen?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Wait what? it got the most undeserved praise.

Reviewers were calling it boring, a slog and all other things, and still giving it 9's & 10's.

You may wanna go back and revisit the history.

You know a game is shit when you try and turn it into a snowboarding game just to find some fun in it LOL.

Loading Video...

Lets be honest here OP the only reason you're saying this is because you have a soft spot for Kojima, when in reality he's a hack.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69875 Posts

Athem without a doubt. The game was a solid game that dropped the ball because it wanted to be a Destiny but didn't have the structure to do so. The single player component on the other hand was solid.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17838 Posts

@Pedro said:

Athem without a doubt. The game was a solid game that dropped the ball because it wanted to be a Destiny but didn't have the structure to do so. The single player component on the other hand was solid.

It felt and looked good, but the missions were bad. 6/10 game.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5271 Posts

Does something like a game deserved to be hated even if it is poor-made and extremely flawed?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic  Online

@i_p_daily: you should be more open minded and try new games!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39270 Posts

TLOU2. Not only from last gen, but all generations i've part off of.

The hate is so insane that even now you can just leave a comment on youtube about the fact that you enjoyed the game, and a dozen of dumbasses will quote you stating horseshit they've heard or seen on the social media, while none of them even played the game. Its real something. Never saw anything like it before. ND created a monster.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:

Pedro, are you okay, Pedro? The single player component was solid? IN ANTHEM? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pedro

@hardwenzen: The real question is are you ok.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:

@hardwenzen: The real question is are you ok.

I was until i saw your comment. Now i am not okay, and who's fault is that? Yours.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@hardwenzen said:

I was until i saw your comment. Now i am not okay, and who's fault is that? Yours.

You try too hard.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@Pedro said:
@hardwenzen said:

You try too hard.

You already told me that in the older Godfall thread. You were wrong, i didn't try hard enough.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59100 Posts

Halflife: Alyx.

About three quarters of the forum owned itself.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@girlusocrazy said:

Bloodborne. I can't understand why people don't love this game more. 92 on Metacritic? Why so low?

Because a lot of ppl play video games and expect a brainded hand holdy experience that is so easy that you can watch a movie while playing your shit game. BB did not deliver in that department.

"it was hard so i stopped playing". Its like people forget that video games are supposed to be challenging so the actual progress is felt. If you don't want to be challenged, go watch a movie instead.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#17 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I have to go with The Last of Us Part 2, I can say several bad things about it, but definitely don't deserve the hate it got.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15948 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

Bloodborne. I can't understand why people don't love this game more. 92 on Metacritic? Why so low?

100% agree. Can you believe some of them only give Bloodborne a 9.4? Thats absurd its a 9.9/10 at least.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Loved crackdown 3 on the X. Looked great and was a ball. Screw the haters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@SolidGame_basic said:

You should try & counter my points (we both know what i said was correct) instead of deflecting.

I guess IGN's review still stings huh lol.

I got that much undeserved praise that certain reviews were calling it a new genre, and the reviewer on here said, "its a game humanity needs right now" and that was way before Covid hit lol, the amount of BS excuses that were made for this game because of who made it were ridiculous.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24982 Posts

Prey. It deserve more credit. the fact that it got 6/10 here is beyond me as this is much better than many of overrated crap like witcher 3, COD, RDR2 and others.

Metro Exodus. one of the best game of last gen that got very underserve hate for no reason.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sakaiXx

@ghosts4ever: IGN was even better, they gave it 4/10.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx said:
@girlusocrazy said:

100% agree. Can you believe some of them only give Bloodborne a 9.4? Thats absurd its a 9.9/10 at least.

Gotta love how you people think that because you love a game (that many of millions don't) that it must be scored a 10/10 or 100/100.

Its a hack n slash game that 98% of the PS fanbase didn't care for LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
@adsparky said:

I have to go with The Last of Us Part 2, I can say several bad things about it, but definitely don't deserve the hate it got.

It got less hate than it deserved lol.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Death Stranding, AC Valhalla (even though its a cross gen game), FF15, MGSV, Borderlands 3 and ESO

All severely underrated and got hate cause it was "cool" or kids with an attention span of a waffle was playing them.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sakaiXx

@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Gotta love how you people think that because you love a game (that many of millions don't) that it must be scored a 10/10 or 100/100.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@Ballroompirate said:

Death Stranding, AC Valhalla (even though its a cross gen game), FF15, MGSV, Borderlands 3 and ESO

All severely underrated and got hate cause it was "cool" or kids with an attention span of a waffle was playing them.

If Borderlands 3 got hate then it was well deserved, i played it about 9 months after release and it was a broken mess, with enemies glitching into walls, their health not dropping, to crashing back to the dashboard, fast travel not working, and the game even crashes the Xbox One X where it shuts the console down making it think its overheating, and i still don't think they've fixed it.

Game is a clusterfuck.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34689 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

I was bored with the AC formula by the time I completed AC2 in 2009. Valhalla has basically the exact same formula, in 2020. Now it's even bigger and everything takes longer to finish, making it even more boring.

When you enjoy doing the same shit in a videogame for 11 years throughout 10 samey games, it's not other people who's weird.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I was bored with the AC formula by the time I completed AC2 in 2009. Valhalla has basically the exact same formula, in 2020. Now it's even bigger and everything takes longer to finish, making it even more boring.

When you enjoy doing the same shit in a videogame for 11 years throughout 10 samey games, it's not other people who's weird.

Its a different formula but more bad. 2009 formula ended with syndicate.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34689 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I played Origins. Felt like I was playing previous AC, but with annoying loot and unecessary talents. Like you, I saw people calling it different to other AC games, and that's why I got it. Those two things I mentioned aside, it's exactly the same as other AC games. Different formula my ass. It's the same formula with extra annoyances.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@Ballroompirate said:

I played Origins. Felt like I was playing previous AC, but with annoying loot and unecessary talents. Like you, I saw people calling it different to other AC games, and that's why I got it. Those two things I mentioned aside, it's exactly the same as other AC games. Different formula my ass. It's the same formula with extra annoyances.

It can be similar but odyssey and valhalla are neither assassins nor creed.

many people criticize origins/odyssey/valhalla because its nothing like old formula.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx said:
@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Yep facts make you salty, imagine crying over a 9.4 lol.

The funniest part is the game isn't even a system seller.

Let the salt run free

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

TLOU2. Not only from last gen, but all generations i've part off of.

The hate is so insane that even now you can just leave a comment on youtube about the fact that you enjoyed the game, and a dozen of dumbasses will quote you stating horseshit they've heard or seen on the social media, while none of them even played the game. Its real something. Never saw anything like it before. ND created a monster.

Yes. The raw hatred for ND doing anything even slightly new or different rather than just "Same exact shit again" is depressing. Can't think of any other medium (maybe hardcore band fans?) where fans want the best works to get identical, rehashed sequels.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Its like people forget that video games are supposed to be challenging so the actual progress is felt. If you don't want to be challenged, go watch a movie instead.

Games aren't "supposed" to be anything, despite what weirdos on forums* say ;) A game can be creative, interesting, entertaining or emotionally moving with no challenge at all.

(*Yes, I know I'm one too!)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 sakaiXx

@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:
@i_p_daily said:
@sakaixx said:
@girlusocrazy said:

Yep facts make you salty, imagine crying over a 9.4 lol.

The funniest part is the game isn't even a system seller.

Let the salt run free

Oh so now IP cares about sales. Careful too much salt is bad for you 🤣🤣

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

Sea of thieves. Yes, it launched with not enough content....but updates were frequent. It has about the most gorgeous visuals going, and it's the perfect antidote to blam blam, die and respawn games. Got so much hate because people compared it to Sony exclusives like God of war etc.... different type of game, but equally as enjoyable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@sakaixx: Nah i just use it against you cows because i know you do. Must sting that you're favourite game this gen sold poorly and you'll never get a sequel :)

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

LoUs2. I heard women can't have muscles

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SolidGame_basic  Online

@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

You should try & counter my points (we both know what i said was correct) instead of deflecting.

I got that much undeserved praise that certain reviews were calling it a new genre, and the reviewer on here said, "its a game humanity needs right now" and that was way before Covid hit lol, the amount of BS excuses that were made for this game because of who made it were ridiculous.

I don't need to watch the video. The fact that you judge games without having played it (especially Sony games) is more than enough evidence 😉

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't need to watch the video. The fact that you judge games without having played it (especially Sony games) is more than enough evidence 😉

Have you ever judged a game without playing it? Be honest!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44167 Posts

Sea of mofo Thieves and Crackdown 3. Both better than anything movie-game you'll find on BS Bore. :P

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidGame_basic  Online

@gym_lion said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@i_p_daily said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Have you ever judged a game without playing it? Be honest!

I do not go as far trashing a game I haven't played, no. Especially not on superficial grounds (i.e. I don't have that system so it must suck or it's a Sony movie game yadayada )

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Mirror's Edge Catalyst people say going open world was a mistake I disagree I think for having a parkour game it fits perfect for it I just wish there was more interiors in it. The game still looks and feels great today I just think alot of people shit on it because their nostalgia for the first ME is so strong. There is some fair criticism though like alot of the upgrades are pretty worthless mostly the movement ones that where already in the first game.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sakaiXx

@i_p_daily: IP today

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56242 Posts

"Hate" is a strong word I try avoiding using it, the word you are looking for is "underappreciated" and as such, last-gen game that I think got underappreciated was Titanfall 2. I love that game for the single player that Respawn got it right but was underappreciated all because it had "EA" label and I wish people gamers could layoff the whole its EA game, so what? Just because it's EA doesn't mean the game itself shouldn't be the blame. Titanfall 2 was really underappreciated last-gen indeed.

@BassMan said:
@Pedro said:

It felt and looked good, but the missions were bad. 6/10 game.

Anthem's gameplay was legit fun and I enjoy flying all over the place felt like I was Ironman in a way but everything else just sucked big time. I hope the new Mass Effect game will have the same gameplay cause I sure hope to fly everywhere else.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Indies in general: 'looks like a mobile game', 'we don't need flash games on consoles', etc

For me indies getting relevance was the best thing that happened to this industry in decades. AAAs are getting insanely good and polished, and that's awesome, but indies just revived a ton of dead genres and created new ones. At the end, they bring much more options to the table, which is always positive.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1257 Posts

@warmblur: The open world killed Catalyst for me. I think if they ever make another it should not be open world - but should have large closed off environments with multiple paths. Sorta like Dishonored.

My answer ironically is a game that also got alot of crap for it's open world - Rage 2. The open world is uninspired, driving was a total let down and it had some terrible technical issues - but the gunplay and unlocking all the upgrades was super fun to me , got a good 25 hours out of it.

Oh Andromeda is another one. Yes the story and characters are forgettable at best but the exploration was decent and combat was alot of fun.

As for Anthem - i think it deserved the negativity but ... it's still enjoyable, when it works. It's a shame it was infected by the herpes that is the looter shooter genre otherwise it could've been pretty great.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hardwenzen

@locopatho said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its like people forget that video games are supposed to be challenging so the actual progress is felt. If you don't want to be challenged, go watch a movie instead.

Games aren't "supposed" to be anything, despite what weirdos on forums* say ;) A game can be creative, interesting, entertaining or emotionally moving with no challenge at all.

(*Yes, I know I'm one too!)

Originally, they were created to be challenging, so when i state that "they were supposed to", that's what i am referring to. Its only for the last 15 years that gaming in general were casualized the f*ck up with the normal difficulty feeling like the very easy difficulty, checkpoints every 1.3 minutes, no punishment on death (all the killed enemies stay dead. Lol Ubishit games), etc. That's a hobby degradation. Then, you have those same people asking for Easy mode in Sekiro when Miyasaki have stated multiple times that the reason he has only one difficulty in his games is so everyone experiences the exact same game.

If your game is a qte emotional game like Heavy Rain, then sure, its not aiming for difficulty, but a game like BB certainly does, and difficult its how its supposed to be.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9872 Posts

Knack 1. It was a fun brawler on hard setting. You really had to observe and learn the patterns to progress.