What was the best thing to happen this gen?

• 65 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45330 Posts

My answer might surprise you, but I think the Nintendo Switch is one of the best things to happen this gen. It's one of the most refreshing systems to come out in a while. The Playstation and Xbox consoles are great, but they have become mini PC's. Switch is still a true console in my opinion. It also changed the way we play. And for that, it's one of the best things to happen this gen. I also give credit to Xbox making a comeback in the second half and focusing on games again. They focused on building their first party and while still niche, I give them credit for attempting backwards compatibility, even though it's limited and is not hardware based. And third, Japan making a comeback this gen. I remember so many people saying that console gaming in Japan was dead. It's nice to see companies like Square and Capcom comeback and give us the types of games we always appreciated them for.

Anyway, enough of my blathering. What do you think, SW? Best thing(s) to happen this gen?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59208 Posts

VR.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15961 Posts

Bloodborne happened.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Overall better hardware and software(Sony and Microsoft). Sony did an excellent job. Microsoft is okay I guess.

I disagree with the first guy. The switch isn’t innovative lol. You can do the same with with smartphones, PSP, Vita and a bunch of those tablets.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1262 Posts

Astrobot

Also .... MS pushing their Backward compatibility so hard. Great feature on its own but I think it may have motivated Sony (hopefully) to add PS1/PS2/PS3 bc to PS5.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

VR, more japanese devs supporting PC

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56289 Posts

VR gaming and Nintendo Switch existence. But more importantly, PC becoming more and more popular as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70035 Posts

Xbox Play Anywhere and cross platform multiplayer. I look forward to games having cross platform purchases.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts
  • Microsoft made a return to PC gaming
  • Microsoft announcing Age of Empires coming back
  • PS4 getting a ton of great exclusives
  • Nintendo making a return after the Wii U selling really bad
  • PC gaming growing larger than ever

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14500 Posts

Another vote for VR. Strong step in a new direction.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4581 Posts

My big 3.

• They sped up the Souls formula with Bloodborne. It's hard to go back to the other games after playing Bloodborne.
  • Cross platform online gaming.
  • MS making it so I do not need to buy their console or pay for their online to enjoy their games and online features due to pc support and only the Xbox consoles requiring Live Gold.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Gamepass

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

more japanese devs supporting PC

Gonna go with this. The western AAA output mostly bores me.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9836 Posts

Gamepass for me. Played and enjoyed so many games I never would have bought, as well as avoiding paying full price for a few crap games.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Xbox one x

A jump from 900p on Xbox to games like RDR2 and metro exodus at native 4k and forza 7 at 4k60 ultra

“The Xbox one x version of RDR2 is pristine “..Digital foundry experts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44364 Posts

I’d probably go with cross platform multiplayer between all systems. There’s still a lot more games that I’d like to see implement it and hopefully it just becomes standard for most all games from here on out.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9412 Posts
  • Play Anywhere - this is the ultimate goal of buying a license and being able to play it across multiple platforms. It needs to be more widely adopted, but even being able to play across Xbox and PC is a good start.
  • GamePass - I love being able to just sub and play games without worrying about ownership and all that crap. I was able to try so many games I otherwise wouldn't have. Some of them were even good!
  • Less console exclusives. Let's face it, exclusives haven't made sense in a long time. From a dev standpoint we have the tools to make multi-platform games much more easily than in the past. It's better for everyone except hardware manufacturers who are stuck in the past. And it sucks when console games run poorly and there's no other option.
dogfish515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By dogfish515
Member since 2004 • 781 Posts

PSVR (Astro Bot and Resident Evil 7 for me)

When I played Astro Bot for the first time it honest to god was an experience not unlike playing Mario 64 for the fist time in 1996; it was that revolutionary to me. I hope that like Mario 64, Astro Bot can start a trend of mainstream action adventure and platform games coming to VR. Then I played Resident Evil 7 in VR mode and immediately regretted beginning the game in standard mode prior to getting VR; it was a completely different experience. I can’t wait to play more PSVR like Doom or Wipeout.

The important aspect was that this didn’t feel as gimmicky as Wii waggle or Kinect. It felt like something that is a realistic prototype for the future of immersive gaming.

(Honorable mention to the Switch, not for being particularly revolutionary but for hopefully being the rebound Nintendo needs to start getting realistically back into the forefront. Who knows.)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

Play Anywhere, Cross-play, GamePass, Origin Access, etc.. These are all pro consumer moves.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Epic store.

Kingdom come deliverance free next week. they gave me so much free games.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30572 Posts

By no oder:

Dreams

No Man's Sky

Indies turning relevant

VR

Motion controls on flat screens being a thing of the past

Avatar image for deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
deactivated-5efed3ebc2180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5efed3ebc2180
Member since 2006 • 923 Posts

Xbox One being a flop, which saved Sony from complete bankrupt, forcing MS to crawl back to PC gaming and that's about it.

Honestly, this gen brought waaaaaaaay more negatives than positives, though...

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Japanese publishers and devs stopped trying to appeal to western audiences like in gen 7. Gamepass, Nintendo Switch hybrid console. That's pretty much it. This is what gen 7 should haven been.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

Switch

Gamepass

Play anywhere

Cross - Platform games

good stuff as well

Accessibility has gotten alot better, I have more games than I have time to play them all, you can get gamepass and immediately feel over loaded with content and options, I use it on PC.

The switch has made pick up and play the easiest its ever been and the tech has made it so it doesnt have to just feel like "handheld ports". For example tony hawk on ps2 vs gba.. The difference is no where near that any more. Games on the switch are legit

For me its the switch and gamepass for the 2 biggest things to happen this gen

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

My answer might surprise you, but I think the Nintendo Switch is one of the best things to happen this gen. It's one of the most refreshing systems to come out in a while. The Playstation and Xbox consoles are great, but they have become mini PC's. Switch is still a true console in my opinion. It also changed the way we play. And for that, it's one of the best things to happen this gen. I also give credit to Xbox making a comeback in the second half and focusing on games again. They focused on building their first party and while still niche, I give them credit for attempting backwards compatibility, even though it's limited and is not hardware based. And third, Japan making a comeback this gen. I remember so many people saying that console gaming in Japan was dead. It's nice to see companies like Square and Capcom comeback and give us the types of games we always appreciated them for.

Anyway, enough of my blathering. What do you think, SW? Best thing(s) to happen this gen?

Yeah have to agree... Switch has been a breath of fresh air for me this gen.

Also, the rise of quality Indie games has been fantastic too. A large portion of my favourite games from this gen have been Indie games, which I never would've predicted at the start of the gen.

And of course, Game Pass. The best value for money in gaming.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

For me, Sonic Mania, without a doubt, since it was a dream come true. I'm hoping that Streets of Rage 4 will be another.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

Best thing would be Microsoft embracing its competitors. Moving and adapting towards a platform agnostic future.

Also gamepass.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

Large moves towards agnostic gaming, PC gaming taking a stronghold in the market, and the Switch rejuvenating Nintendo.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11195 Posts

Geez. All kinds of good stuff. Sony and Nintendo being at the forefront of the console market where we could play the best of the east and the west. MS contributing to PC, VR showing out to be a fun format, Nintendo's best Zelda game, PC being a more viable platform than consoles now more than ever. Gaming's been good this gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e58917563ba3
deactivated-5e58917563ba3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e58917563ba3
Member since 2020 • 82 Posts

Much better optimization which also meant that the PC platform got some really greatly optimized games, whether you are a console only, PC only or all at once player, no one missed out on this.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39445 Posts

Crossplay. We barely saw any games supporting it, but this is the most important new thing for gaming.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58436 Posts

PC gaming. PC gaming is the best thing that happened this gen, just like every gen.

In all seriousness, I think cross-play in CoD MW is a pretty big deal. I hope to see this a lot more in future games. I love playing on my PC with my friends on PS4 and Xbox.

Honestly them on controller and me with mouse doesn't make a lick of difference; if it does, no one seems to care.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#34 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59208 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

VR.

@PAL360 said:

VR

@dogfish515 said:

PSVR (Astro Bot and Resident Evil 7 for me)

@Basinboy said:

Another vote for VR. Strong step in a new direction.

@davillain- said:

VR gaming

@my_user_name said:

Astrobot

@pinkribbonscars said:

Def agree with this.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pedro

@mrbojangles25 said:

PC gaming. PC gaming is the best thing that happened this gen, just like every gen.

In all seriousness, I think cross-play in CoD MW is a pretty big deal. I hope to see this a lot more in future games. I love playing on my PC with my friends on PS4 and Xbox.

Honestly them on controller and me with mouse doesn't make a lick of difference; if it does, no one seems to care.

EDIT: You make it sound as if PC gaming didn't exist prior to this gen? What made PC gaming the best thing that happened this gen?

That statement sounds so silly to me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56289 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

EDIT: You make it sound as if PC gaming didn't exist prior to this gen? What made PC gaming the best thing that happened this gen?

He's talking about PC gaming is gaining popularity again and during PS3/Xbox 360 era, it was a bad spot for gaming PC but all that change this gen. Developers are now showing PC support more so this gen.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9584 Posts

The best thing to happen this gen is the Switch and the fact Nintendo finally has a console that isn't region locked.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@davillain-:

PC gaming was never in a bad spot mate.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Auto resume.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58436 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It is silly, silly :D Hence the "in all seriousness" addition.

But, if I were serious, I would have said...

@davillain- said:

He's talking about PC gaming is gaining popularity again and during PS3/Xbox 360 era, it was a bad spot for gaming PC but all that change this gen. Developers are now showing PC support more so this gen.

...this.

It is nice to see platforms open up, especially in a pro-PC direction. Not that PC is starving for titles ("PC Beggar race" comments in 3...2...1....) but I do like the direction things are going in, how we hopefully won't be forced to purchase a platform we might not want to play a game we might want.

I also enjoy VR's rising popularity, and how it is being taken seriously this generation. I remember when VR first came about maybe 20 years ago or so....people talk about how VR is a gimmick, well, it was back then. This time? Not so much. This time shit be serious.

@Gatygun said:

@davillain-:

PC gaming was never in a bad spot mate.

Yeah, it was only in a "not as great" spot. Never "bad" :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

The VR love in this thread is strong.

But yeah. VR for sure. Another great thing is watching VR haters get increasingly pissed as VR gets more and more popular. Good times. ;)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Switch dominating and being an awesome console as well as VR not fading away fast like I feared it would. The rest was just more of the same with slightly better graphics.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

I'd say the accessibility of PC gaming during this generation was the best part of the generation. You really didn't need more than just an i3, 8 gigs of RAM and a GTX 950 to have a PC that runs like a console. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will likely make PC hardware shopping much harder, however.

@pinkribbonscars said:

Friendly reminder that most Japanese developers really only put their games on PC because Steam is just too big to ignore. The benchmark they use in regards to approaching the PC market is Nippon Ichi's ClaDun X2, meaning that Japanese developers often adopt an unrealistic expectation that fans of ANY of their franchises will like ALL their franchises for no other reason than you choosing to game on PC. The only devs that seem to genuinely care about putting their stuff on Steam are Capcom, Idea Factory and From Software. Otherwise, the PC gaming scene in Japan is but a series of glorified petitions for future ports.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@mrbojangles25: I get you. :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25003 Posts
  • Reboot of Doom make it best FPS franchise on earth
  • Return of Health Bar and old school style gameplay (as seen with Prey and Doom)
  • Return of Microsoft to PC gaming
  • Less dumbed down games compare to 7th gen as PC this gen donot effected mostly
Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

VR.

Agree 100 percent everything else this gen was meh a few good games here and there but that's it. I flew a plane in GTAV in VR listening to freebird that shit was magical.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#48 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Remakes and remasters

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25003 Posts

@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

VR.

Agree 100 percent everything else this gen was meh a few good games here and there but that's it. I flew a plane in GTAV in VR listening to freebird that shit was magical.

were you not gaming in last gen? just asking.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#50 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

VR.

were you not gaming in last gen? just asking.

I been gaming since the 80's.