What's your opinion on Horizon: Zero Dawn?

• 69 results
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

I actually never finished Horizon back when it came out. After the Ps5 reveal I decided to go back and give it another go. Since I had forgotten everything I had to restart from the beginning again. Anyway... I'm curious to hear what SW thinks of the game. My own feelings are kind of mixed.

I think it has some really cool concepts and ideas. Everything that has to do with the robots is awesome. The way they look, how they have different roles in an eco system, that you can shoot off parts to alter their functionality and the way their parts fit into the economy and crafting system. Your hunting themed arsenal is also pretty rad. Trip wires and traps. Rope caster to pin down the biggest robots, never gets old. Precision bows to target weak points. The lore also feels pretty unique and interesting. The mix of stone age humans and sci-fi tech.

But the wrapping for these awesome mechanics is a pretty tedious Ubisoft style open world grind. The amount of map icons is ridiculous. Much of the "content" is of the uninspired checklist variety. Dialog animations are really stiff which means it's kind of hard to get emotionally invested. Human AI in stealth is subpar. Picking flowers to refill the medicine pouch gets tedious as hell.

In summary:I think Horizon is a perfect game to do a sequel on. It has a very strong premise and cool mechanics. But the execution of the first game was deeply flawed in many ways. With a bigger budget and building off the first game, Horizon: Forbidden West has the potential to be something truly special.

What do you think?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

That's almost how I feel about it. I did feel that combat got old though by the end of the game.

I enjoyed the story even though I knew where it was going. I expect I'll enjoy the sequel more, It will show how much the devs listen to the players.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45314 Posts

Great game, but two things I didn’t particularly liked. The melee combat and the dumb human ai. The robot ai was good though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

I got turned off by the grinding, need to finish it still.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I was kind of disappointed by the game. Pretty much share what was written by the op.

Game got pretty tedious for me. Uninspired quests for the most part. World is pretty but its quite unrewarding to explore. Also the comparison with Unisoft open words is fair but the game doesn't even quite reach that level. Movement is inferior to Ass Creed and there's a lot more to do in a Far Cry game.

Pretty much like Spiderman's shallow open world, it's a good game, very far from bad, but over hyped like hell because the label says Sony. Really hope the sequel focus on more than looking cool.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

Really interesting setting with cavemen vs robot dinosaurs. I was also enthralled by the story since the first minute and wanted to know more about Aloy's backstory.

But I found myself playing the game more because the traversal was fun, the game has pretty graphics and good looking environments, more so than because it had a deep combat system or anything.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

I actually hype HZD (made the hype thread back in Feb 2017) and its still my favorite PS4 game to date (right up with GoW4 & Spider-Man combine) and ready to rebuy it on PC this Summer. I have play this game like 4 times, I never felt the combat/gameplay never got old, shooting robo Dinos was the fun part of the game and I find Aloy interesting, she doesn't need to be all sexy, she's cool and that's exactly what I expect when this game was reveal for the first time. The world of HZD is just beautiful on a console (yet) and for what its worth, its still my top 5 PS4 game. I give it a 8/10! If anything, HZD has that 10,000BC feel to it with sci-fi robots in it.

As for Forbidden West, I'm also hype but I be really surprise if its a PS5 launch title but even I know it's going to be a long time before its release and I expect to be release around 2022 if most.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Sushiglutton:

I genuinely enjoyed it. I loved the exploration and the world was really fascinating. The combat got old fast though but because of the story, I managed to power through it. I loved the robot dinosaurs too, they reminded me of Monster Hunter. So yeah, it was a great game, definitely. Solid 9/10

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

The bad:

-Melee

-Lots of markers get.in the way of genuine exploration

-The side quests are meh and typically delivered with terrible acting

-a bit like Uncharted and in sharp contrast to BotW, you can't climb except when the game wants you to. This is a really missed opportunity

The good:

-Strong main sci fi story

-Fantastic visuals

-Range combat and bomb+trap setting are fantastic and allow for encounters to be approached with different styles

-Intelligent and genuinely deadly robot enemies make for really visceral combat

My recommendation is that nobody should play this below "hard" btw. I'm not usually "that guy" and Normal is always my starting point, but the combat and world exploration become soooo much more interesting when the robot dinosaurs feel more like robot dinosaurs and you feel more like the fleshy weakling you are

I listed a number of negatives above but the fact is this was one of my favorite games in a long time

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I loved it. Taking down the large and harder to kill dino's with a bow and arrow was satisfying. I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10500 Posts

i thought it was the best example of an open world story game i've seen in a very long time.

everything about it was highly polished and cohesive. the world, lore and enemies were meticulously crafted. the pacing of the story against the experience / skill tree progression was well balanced; i never felt forced to grind. combat was engaging and the enemies were challenging, particularly on harder difficulties. i really liked it.

to me it was infinitely preferable to ubisoft's uninspired, derivative, game by numbers approach, despite on the surface sharing a very similar formula

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

the bow mechanics gameplay is the best in its class.

melee sucked though.

I liked it a lot.

I more hyped for the 2nd one though.

because now they have a good baseline to approve on.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

@xantufrog: If you don't mind me asking, did you use (or rather find) the secret armor? The shielding armor that adds layer of protection if you play it on hard mode, does that help?

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

i tried and didnt get into it. and i even bought the complete edition. finished the witcher 3 and find it overrated too. but at least manage to complete it

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

I liked it. New fresh game with interesting twist on things.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

Days gone is better imo.Oh wait my opinion doesn’t matter,I’ll go and check metacritic and GS review scores.....

Just checked and according to the gospel of metacritic I liked HZD better than days gone

HAH

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@davillain-: I did! I don't really remember the impact it had on my gameplay, though. It definitely didn't make it feel like the challenge was gone

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

I like it well enough. Engaging story, great graphics and art direction. Good voice acting. Game mechanics are sorta average outside of the machines which have some cool gimmicks but it gets old pretty fast when you realize ropecaster+blast sling solos everything with immense ease.

Melee is horrible and it suffers from the same shit as many open-world. Dull sidequests, busy map without much of interest to do etc.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39383 Posts

Felt to me like it was made by Ubisoft. Empty open world with generic challenges/side quests. Felt to me like this hype surounding the game was carried by the game's graphics and the fact that it was a ps4 exclusive.

I did like the art style, graphics, dinos design and gunplay, tho so its not all shit. Game is not worth anything over a 7/10. If it wasn't for Hard Mode, i would've felt asleep playing the game, but at least it was pretty challenging from what i remember.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Never developed any great love for it at all.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

One of the greatest games possibly made, when I play it on PC.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

Loved it. But i was hoping for a new protagonist on the sequel. Don't like Aloy that much

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Love the game. Play it on hard and above so that the shieldweaver armor is useless and made combat actually a very tactical experience.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

@bluestars said:

Days gone is better imo.Oh wait my opinion doesn’t matter,I’ll go and check metacritic and GS review scores.....

Just checked and according to the gospel of metacritic I liked HZD better than days gone

HAH

Chuckling...

Well played. :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

I enjoyed it, definitely one of the better PS exclusives.

The hunting part of the game was near flawless; everything from stalking and studying your prey, laying traps to selecting the right weapons, and so on was just great.

With that said, I thought it was average to decent in other areas.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

I heard it exists.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2255 Posts

Played it for 15 hours (never finished) and thought it decent, but vastly overhyped as it is essentially a Ubisoft checklist game in a new setting!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

Awesome game. Can't wait for the sequel. Liked the underwater stealth mechanics shown off as well as the new environments. Hoping , 1) we can override robots underwater for better traversal, and 2) better melee.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Beat it, but didn't care for it at all. Beautiful, but boring and uninteresting.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I enjoyed the game a lot. I thought it was very well done.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

it was okay game, liked some of the things they set up in the story/world, but got tired of the gameplay

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It was a great game but yeah it sometimes felt Ubisoft were looking over their shoulder and saying 'hey put loads and loads of stuff in that bit there) it felt a bit cluttered.

There aren't many open world games that get this right though. AC Odyssey does it best for me, moreso than W3 or pretty much anything else.

It will be interesting to see what they've learned from looking at all the open world games that have released since HZD. Hopefully less is more will be a thing with the sequel.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4198 Posts

Horizon had the unfortunate burden of releasing three weeks before Breath of the Wild, which changed up a lot of the open-world formula and would inevitably get compared to each other. I was playing Horizon last night and there was a point where I was chasing a waypoint, only to make it to a cliffside and realize the objective is hundreds of feet down. Instinctively, I tried to open my sail cloth, only to realize no such mechanic existed.

Horizon implemented a lot of linear level design philosophies in an open space, which was incredibly refreshing and something I hope open-world games continue to do in the future.

Mechanically, they didn't quite stick the landing, as I get stuck on the environment at least once in every combat encounter, and there were many times I thought I was following a path in the game's world, only to find that it lead me to a part of the world that I couldn't access.

I hope Horizon 2 fixes a lot of this because, as is, it's almost an incredible experience, and some fine-tuning in the sequel will really give the PS5 an advantage over the competition.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

The main game was great. The side-quests and subsequent voice-acting? Shite.

Graphically, and performance wise, Guerilla/Decima/Kojima Productions did wonders. It runs well, and it looks excellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Waiting for the rumored PSVR version. With PS5 power, of course.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

@subspecies said:

You really wouldn't want to experience that on Sony's last gen VR though, right? The headset itself couldn't handle higher resolutions.

It's a bit weird if PSVR was such a success that Sony haven't at least announced the next version. Still way too niche and too small a market place for them to confidently invest in is the feeling I get.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

One of my favorite games this gen ... in fact, i think this may be my second favorite game this gen behind Breath of the Wild ... And the sequel is the only game i'm hyped for the PS5 at the moment.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

I'm yet to beat it. The concept is cool, but the combat got old quick for me. The whole being able to see where a Dino would go kinda took away from the game. Just my opinion. I do plan to restart it within the next few weeks. With so many good games, it's hard to focus on just one anymore.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I never got farther than 5 hours for 2 reasons. 30 FPS and it felt like I was playing an assassin's creed game with a bit better story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

@blueinheaven said:
@subspecies said:

You really wouldn't want to experience that on Sony's last gen VR though, right? The headset itself couldn't handle higher resolutions.

It's a bit weird if PSVR was such a success that Sony haven't at least announced the next version. Still way too niche and too small a market place for them to confidently invest in is the feeling I get.

Dude, patience. Sheesh. Sony is working on the next psvr. They've already confirmed several times they are developing new tracking VR tech, new controllers, etc. etc., with the patents to prove it, and even hardware demonstrations, as with the latest PSVR finger tracking controller demo. They also confirmed a long time ago their commitment to VR in general. They said they were not going to release the next psvr alongside the PS5 because they did not want to crowd the launch. It's coming, you just have to wait.

As for experiencing HZD on psvr, I would bet there is a strong possibility the VR version will be a PSVR2 launch game. But if not, the original psvr+PS5 will do nicely, considering all of the headset's power comes from the console. The resolution is not the same as the Index or anything, but the upped power will have a huge impact on the visual quality, and all other elements. Just look at Wipeout VR, a PSVR exclusive, to understand that really sharp visuals are entirely possible. Astro Bot, too, among others.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I intend to restart it soon in anticipation of the sequel.

I originally started it too soon after Breath of the Wild and I felt too restricted in Horizon by comparison. I stopped playing early on.

Now that there's been more of a gap, I can focus more on what Horizon does well.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Haven’t played it yet but I think that it looks like a really good game that I’d definitely enjoy. I actually recently bought the Complete Edition. I’ve been scooping up a bunch of PS4 games because they’ve been on sale for like $10 - $20 Canadian and I want to get the physical versions of them while I can.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I love it !!

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Great game wondering when their going to announce the release date for the PC version this game will be even more enjoyable with M/KB and 60 fps.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts

The first few hours were enjoyable, besides the extremely mediocre writing.

Then it opens up into an Ubisoft game, and I lost interest 5-10 hours later.

So I'd give it a 7/10. The combat and graphics were good, but everything else was bland.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26108 Posts

It seemed like a good thing for Sony fans to play while Zelda came out for Switch.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I pretty much agree with the OP. I enjoyed it but got bored and I was more invested in Persona 5 and Breath of the Wild. I feel like it came out with too many other excellent games that had me more interested.

I'm willing to give it another chance this summer since there were certain aspects that had me interested.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9875 Posts

It seems like some people think it was fantastic, but most that it was fairly mediocre. Sony is hyping it as the premier game to get a ps5 for. I wonder if Horizon can really carry that hype.

For Ps4 it was Infamous. I think that franchise is at about the same level as Horizon interestingly enough. Competent, but below the top tier (GoW, TLOU).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

It's aight. The combat is more interesting conceptually than it is in practice, the backstory that was told was more fun to follow than the actual Aloy stuff, mostly because she sucks. I ended up Platinuming the game, because the compulsive shit was fairly easy to do since you can locate the collectibles mad quick.

The dungeon side missions the game had going on had mad room to be explored and expanded upon.

It's better than most western made third person and open world games, but that speaks to how wack most of those are. 6/10, mildly interested in the sequel to see improvements.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#50  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

I've never played it, but your description of it sounds like what I would've thought about it, had I played it. So, since I'm very fed up with Ubisoft-esque checklist games, I decided to not play it. Decided to try out The Witcher 3, and that was a mistake as well.

If developers looked at Breath of the Wild when designing their next open world game, that'd be great.