Which of the top 3 is most anti-consumer?

• 117 results
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll Which of the top 3 is most anti-consumer? (93 votes)

Sony. They would just as soon put the consumer in a woodchipper as take their money. 40%
Microsoft. If they could not get money out of them, they would have no problem making hamburgers out of consumer meat. 20%
Nintendo. They have elaborate wet dreams about carnivals where, instead of rides, there are only torture devices, being used to torture consumers. 40%

Sony's been pretty bad this gen. Paying for 3rd party exclusive content galore, raising prices, etc.

MS says they hate exclusives, then proceed to make acquisitions and specifically block out another platform. Other stuff.

Nintendo. I mean, what isn't anti-consumer about them.

Feel free to be belligerent in your discussion.

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46487 Posts

Sony, the ones that wanted to bring competition to the market are also the ones keeping so many games and publishers off their competitors. Hypocrites.

Microsoft is just out for the money. Game pass isn't out of the good of their heart. Phil isn't a nice guy like so many portray him to be (stop it with the jesus paintings guys!!). But apart from GFWL I don't know a ton of anti consumer things they did. Buying Bethesda and Activision? I mean they are putting their stuff practically for free on gamepass.

Nintendo loves gatekeeping their games to certain platforms, which sucks but I can't say they make them unplayable. Their whole Nintendo online ordeal is pretty anti consumer.

Agent_Stroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Agent_Stroud
Member since 2020 • 540 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I’d say this is pretty accurate other than I haven’t seen any Phil Spencer as the Messiah pictures personally, so I can’t confirm or deny that that is actually a legitimate thing or if it’s just a troll.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 R4gn4r0k

@agent_stroud said:

@R4gn4r0k: I’d say this is pretty accurate other than I haven’t seen any Phil Spencer as the Messiah pictures personally, so I can’t confirm or deny that that is actually a legitimate thing or if it’s just a troll.

It's this one that people keep posting around here.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

this is a good topic. I will have to say nintendo, and I like them. I don't even know if they're anti consumer or just backwards / behind. As for sony, they are scumbags, but they have to compete with MS so they at least make an effort.

MS are the saints of the industry, its true.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#5 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19631 Posts

Nintendo:

• They sell outdated hardware at full price.
  • They sell old games at full price and refuse to discount them.
  • They launch copyright strikes at anything remotely resembling their IPs.
  • They punish their own fans with copyright strikes.

And so on.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 R4gn4r0k

Oh and Nintendo and Sony don't allow refunds, that's anti-consumer right there.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

Nintendo actively treat their soyjak fans (mostly adults who collect plastic action figures and cry at Zelda trailers) like trash.

If everyone adopted a PC gamer mentality, the world would be a better place.

People just refuse to upgrade. Love rolling around in the dirt.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

In terms of being anti-consumer

Nintendo > Sony >>>>> Microsoft

With Nintendo products you are making a deal with the devil. You get excellent experiences, from a dev that hates you. In contrast MS has gamepass, which has saved me so much money. And also makes me more willing to take risks with my gaming preferences. I have no issues with MS, as far as I know.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3453 Posts

Obviously Sony.

Nintendo is only guilty of making great games and charging people for that.

Microsoft is too honest for their own good.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39384 Posts

Nintendo is the most anti consumer brand in the world, let alone in the gaming industry.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7333 Posts

Definitely Nintendo. Worst on pricing, and go after their own fans for the crime of providing free marketing. But I like their games, so they get my money anyway.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1258 Posts

Nintendo, but Sony is working hard to pass them.

MS really pushed backwards compatibility , which I appreciate alot. Ironically everybody was saying they would raise GP prices (which they did) but Sony's price increase was far bigger. Buying up companies isn't great , but atleast it's a company that is already shitty ...

All this is to say ... PC ftw.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3453 Posts

@nod_calypse: Don't want to be making threats but if Nintendo wins the DoJ is gonna get a call.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

Obviously Sony, lol!

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#15 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

The most asinine and bone-headed anti-consumer moves still originate from Nintendo. Chalk it up to whatever you want: being a Japanese-run company, their renowned insular groupthink, or their "**** you" attitude, they have been the most dubious of the bunch since the mid-2000s. With them, there definitely feels like there is a malicious attitude to some of it (while for Sony and MS it can be viewed as just being stupid or uncertain).

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

I would normally say Nintendo, but Sony raising the prices on PS+, their games, their hardware, releasing a streaming handheld without Bluetooth in 2023 and requiring a propriety headset to use wireless audio is all crummy to the consumer. Their PS+ classic offering has been pathetic, but like I said, they raised the prices on it. Then they have barely announced any games while moving their focus to games as a service. On top of that, they make you purchase their games again if you want the PC version while MS has play anywhere which is much more consumer friendly.

It is definitely between Sony and Nintendo, but right now, I am leaning towards Sony. They have been very anti-consumer recently.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@kathaariancode said:

@nod_calypse: Don't want to be making threats but if Nintendo wins the DoJ is gonna get a call.

Careful there, I might pull a Pedro and take you seriously.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
@hardwenzen said:

Nintendo is the most anti consumer brand in the world, let alone in the gaming industry.

Not even close. But they're bad, real bad.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts

Nintendo i'd say. I mean they all have the anti consumer practices....but of the 3 Nintendo would be the worst.

• Tying their games to their hardware instead of giving people a choice on where to play them.
  • Saves backup feature is behind a monthly sub with no alternative offline feature. Your switch craps out? Sucks to be you..just buy another one.
  • Some shockingly lazy remasters that they charge full price for (that mario anniversary pack was awful).
  • Childish attitude to youtube. Yes, technically, they are perfectly entitled to take all the content down.....but why?
  • Charging some pretty insane prices for some of their games (TOTK costs as much as a full price PS5 game...really?).
  • There is a 50:50 chance that your online purchases will carry forward. Seriously be careful spending money on the eShop and be prepared to lose it.

....But god dam they make fantastic games! Also, generally speaking, they are the fairest in terms of getting full games for the price you pay. There is a lot less MTX based shenanigans from Nintendo compared to other companies. Also the game will work well from day one....you can be pretty confident on that front.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Sony and Ninty head to head. This is preposterously exciting.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen

Every lemming in this thread voted for Sony cuz they're butthurt at their TOP GRADE exclusives🤷‍♂️So in reality, Nintendo wins, and its not even close.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Nintendo without a doubt they re release old games on new systems every generation.

Agent_Stroud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Agent_Stroud
Member since 2020 • 540 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I admit. That one got a chuckle outta me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k

@nod_calypse said:

Sony and Ninty head to head. This is preposterously exciting.

Wish there was a Sony and Nintendo option :p

Since both refuse to offer refunds (which Epic, Valve, Microsoft, ...) all do, I'm kinda torn on which one to vote for.

ShadyAcshuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ShadyAcshuns
Member since 2023 • 276 Posts

Sony by far. Look at this Portal junk they're trying to get one over on the customers with. Look at the newly raised prices of PS+ that don't even include day one games. Look at this niche PSVR2 that costs as much as a PS5 and doesn't even run without a PS5, and doesn't even have quality games.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Every lemming in this thread voted for Sony cuz they're butthurt at their TOP GRADE exclusives🤷‍♂️So in reality, Nintendo wins, and its not even close.

Even cows voted for Sony. And manticores.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 6045 Posts

Even Cows are voting Sony its that bad

Oh how the mighty have fallen

Microsoft the most consumer friendly brand in the gaming world

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1271 Posts

Easily Nintendo.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3491 Posts

All of them are anti-consumer. But the worst has to be Nintendo.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#30 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts
@pclover1980 said:

Easily Nintendo.

This.

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

Sony & Nintendo are close in this aspect. Like @R4gn4r0k said they are hypocrites. Sony also charges to use cloud saves like what? 😂

Nintendo has garbage online and makes things difficult for the sake of making things difficult like having to use your phone to download an app? Like what? Also, playing exclusives on such dated ass hardware...even with the Switch 2...it's going to have the power of what? An Xbox Series S? An iPhone 6s? A Tiger handheld? Yawwnnn... 🥱

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k

@qui-gon-milk said:

Sony & Nintendo are close in this aspect. Like @R4gn4r0k said they are hypocrites. Sony also charges to use cloud saves like what? 😂

Nintendo has garbage online and makes things difficult for the sake of making things difficult like having to use your phone to download an app? Like what? Also, playing exclusives on such dated ass hardware...even with the Switch 2...it's going to have the power of what? An Xbox Series S? An iPhone 6s? A Tiger handheld? Yawwnnn... 🥱

Good points. Nintendo and Sony both doing the cloud saves for money thing... Valve does that for free. Seriously using Steam costs me nothing and I get:

• Free mod workshop
  • Free online
  • Free cloud saves

Nintendo and Sony offer me none of those.

And yeah Nintendo also had that answer where they told people to download an app on their phone because they couldn't do voice chat... That's it! I'm voting Nintendo.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14816 Posts

Nintendo, then Sony.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By Mesome713  Online
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

Easily Sony. They sensor games, and dictate what game you can or cant play on their shitty Membersship crap. They also tried to put Nintendo out of business and steal all their IPs in secret thinking Nintendo wouldnt read the fine print. And now they pay big money to block games from millions of gamers. They also harbor pedo people hunting kids online, they dont protect the children.

O, and also they dont protect consumers info allowing them to be easily hacked. And they dont pay you money to buy games like Nintendo does. So shitty. They also just copy the completion and never innovate.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Saint-George  Online
Member since 2023 • 1331 Posts

20% voting for MS are confirmed fanboys of the other 2 systems 🤣🐄🐑

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#36 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

The FTC case and the leaks shed a lot of light on MS. So...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

Ninty.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9827 Posts

The correct answer is Sony.

First to raise prices on games.

Raised prices on subscriptions.

Raised prices on consoles.

Cloud saves behind a paywall.

Tried to charge for ps5 enhanced ps4 games.

Continue to pay to keep 3rd party games off Xbox.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Nintendo by far. Can't even make YouTube videos with their games or characters

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

Kind of a toss up between Sony and Nintendo these days. Pretty strong case can be made for either/or.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6407 Posts

PC.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3091 Posts

I still don't quite understand this philosophy. What EXACTLY does it take for an action to be "anti-consumer"? Is it anti-consumer if everyone continues to willingly pay for it?

anti-consumer

adjective

: not favorable to consumers : improperly favoring the interests of businesses over the interests of consumers

First I would ask, who and what defines "not favorable"? And secondly, at what point does a company favoring its own interests become "improper"? And what successful business is there that hasn't done this?

I remember this topic coming up a while back, and one example people were using was having to buy a console to play their games. It doesn't seem the physical console is the problem, but rather the price. If the console was $20, would you still consider that anti-consumer? Is it less a definable act, and more your personal situation. Is a $500 console anti-consumer for a millionaire?

I'm not fan of Microsoft, but their backwards compatible offerings seem way better than what the others offer. I could see that being construed as pro-consumer, but it's not like the don't offset that in some other way. I'm not sure if that Phil quote about leaving the games business if game pass doesn't pick up is true, but it does seem to track with all the other unsustainable subscription models. Give away content at a loss, absorb as many subscribers as possible, get them hooked on your drugs, then jack up the price until it's not a good deal anymore, and hope that you stick around out of habit. It's all a bait and switch, and you guys know it. Plus, if they're successful long enough to disrupt the other forms of distribution (physical, rental,etc) they can take those options off the board, and further cement their stranglehold. These companies aren't our friends, these charismatic CEOs will always put their company in front of us, and their number one goal is to make money.

If you want to make the argument that games should be console agnostic, I could buy that. I personally like it when every console has different games, and a different feel, but if it's all the same ubiquitous hardware, system architecture, game engines... what does it matter?

And beyond all of that, who says it's good to be a "consumer". Some bottomless pit of gluttony and sloth. Maybe if people weren't so fixated on consumption, these companies would have less to prey on.

At the end of day, I still think this term is some socialist bullshit, and I don't agree with it. If a company lays a poor value proposition at your feet, quit picking it up. Just walk away, and quit adding to the problem.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

PC.

Biggest troll i have witnessed in my whole magnificent career.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Forcing your consumers to go digital only is anti-consumer, it's just as simple as that.

As for the Troll stuff, if you're looking for the biggest Troll, well just look in that full length mirror you have in your room.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap: PC? How is that even possible? There's no monolithic structure, lol.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Last_Lap

@nod_calypse: Steam, Epic etc, places that forces you to buy digital only, therefore PC anti-consumer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap said:

@nod_calypse: Steam, Epic etc, places that forces you to buy digital only, therefore PC anti-consumer.

Dude, you just named a bunch of individual entities.

Something you're not understanding about monolithic.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Last_Lap

@nod_calypse: Can you play the games you bought on Steam on the Epic launcher and vice versa?

If not, then why as they're all PC games right?

PC is anti-consumer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap said:

@nod_calypse: Can you play the games you bought on Steam on the Epic launcher and vice versa?

If not, then why as they're all PC games right?

PC is anti-consumer.

You're not even remotely understanding what I'm saying, lol.

Okay, I'll explain.

Listen, Sony, MS, Ninty = individual entities. Hence, "which one is the most anti-consumer".

Steam and Epic are individual entities. Thus, you can ask, which one is the most anti-consumer.

PC is not an individual entity. There is no monolithic structure. You can do literally whatever you want on PC. For instance, I play physical games on PC all the time. I just did a while back with The Lost Artifact, discs and all. There are no restrictions. Anti-consumer isn't even a discussion for PC. It makes no sense.

Get it?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Forcing your consumers to go digital only is anti-consumer, it's just as simple as that.

As for the Troll stuff, if you're looking for the biggest Troll, well just look in that full length mirror you have in your room.

Sorry, bro, but that's just trolling.