Windows Central: Don't buy a PlayStation, Buy a PC!

• 120 results
KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13049 Posts

Don't buy a PlayStation — Save money on the PC versions of Marvel's Spider-Man, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others instead

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/destiny-2-the-final-shape-officially-delayed-to-june-2024-new-pvp-maps-and-more-coming-before-launch

It used to be that if you wanted to enjoy a PlayStation exclusive game, you needed to buy the latest console. That's not the case anymore, with a growing list of PlayStation Studios games on Windows PC that keeps on getting bigger. PlayStation has even invested to make these ports better, acquiring Dutch studio Nixxes to deliver masterclass PC ports.

Single-player PlayStation will usually not arrive day one on PC, so there is a downside to waiting. Naturally, if what you care about is just playing games as fast as possible, then you should definitely go ahead and buy a PlayStation 5. If you already have a gaming PC and you're okay waiting a year or two for games to be ported, you really don't have to buy a PlayStation 5!

That's not to say that every port is perfect. On the contrary, the PC version of The Last of Us was a terrible port at launch, and only through consistent patches has it become somewhat okay. That's the exception though, hardly the rule.

In general, this approach allows you to save money, as you often won't be paying full price for a game, and it will usually include all of the DLC or expansions, as is the case with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered.

What say you fellow SW fans? Have you converted to Microsoft Windows PC? Or are you slowing moving to PC for all your gaming with the new trend of all games eventually coming to PC? I am still hesitant because of the problems that you get with PCs. Error messages, driver updates, constantly updating your hardware GPU, CPU, RAM. It seems never ending. That said, they have the best versions of the games and perform the best as well. Then it seems games on PC are generally cheaper.

Do you like this trend with Sony putting all their games on Microsoft™ Windows PC?

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1137 Posts

It sounds good for PC gamers that they're getting more games. I'm not sure if people who enjoy the convenience and straightforward operation of a console will move to PC, but you never know.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

Peak MS fanboy desperation. Why would you need to buy an Xbox, all games on pc day 1. At least PS5 gets em first.

Bet that PS5 curb stomped Xbox in sales for Black Friday

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Well, I mean...duh.

Anything other than a PC is just half-assing it.

With that said, people should do what they want within reason and if they want a little toy box to play CoD on or Halo or some movie game whose only claim to fame is being "exclusive" (for the time being) then by all means, waste money on a console.

But if you actually care about games, consider yourself an enthusiast, then PC is the place to be.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2587 Posts

The link you provided is for a story about the Destiny 2 delay…

Destiny 2: The Final Shape officially delayed to June 2024, new PvP maps and more coming before launch

By Samuel Tolbert

published about 6 hours ago

As expected, the expansion is being pushed back.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

How much does it cost to buy a PC that runs those video games? Can we hook them up to a 65 inch TV or 75 inch TV with 120hrz. Or a oled tv. I know your post are always out of the blue sky, but you should know when you get high up, there is no such thing as a blue sky. It's all clear.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59163 Posts

If you want to play Playstation games subscribe to Netflix and Disney+

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GhostOfGolden
@kvallyx said:

I am still hesitant because of the problems that you get with PCs. Error messages, driver updates, constantly updating your hardware GPU, CPU, RAM. It seems never ending. That said, they have the best versions of the games and perform the best as well. Then it seems games on PC are generally cheaper.

Do you like this trend with Sony putting all their games on Microsoft™ Windows PC?

Error messages? Driver updates are damn near automatic and a nonissue. Hardware updates are only necessary when you deem them to be. At least you have a choice of what hardware you’re getting instead of having to settle for the consoles highly compromised specs.

PlayStation would be foolish to put their biggest titles on PC day one. Especially when they’re giving 30% to Steam. Not all companies are eager to share their revenue with 3rd parties that had nothing to do with the development or publishing of a game.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KvallyX

@eni232 said:

How much does it cost to buy a PC that runs those video games? Can we hook them up to a 65 inch TV or 75 inch TV with 120hrz. Or a oled tv. I know your post are always out of the blue sky, but you should know when you get high up, there is no such thing as a blue sky. It's all clear.

Actually, I just post the news from the web. I don't post any personal blogs.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39382 Posts

Xbox hasn't had an exclusive since 2015. Are we gonna ignore that?

NNoyingHusband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NNoyingHusband
Member since 2020 • 1048 Posts

I will always maintain that PC is the worst way to play. Consoles are better. If you’re a big cow, you’re not gonna like PC anyways because of the wait to play first party titles. It seems there’s always bugs to fix for them anyways so you’ll need to wait longer to get patches. Just a bad deal.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts

Pretty much converted to.....er...GNU/Linux PC (I do have windows 11 on my laptop but don't play games on it).

Just Nintendo holding out now at this stage. C'mon Nintendo. I know it makes absolutely no sense for you to go multiplat from a business standpoint but....C'mon. I'll buy a fancy Nintendo controller for my PC....Promise (dam I do not need more controllers). Yeah I know...fat chance of it happening.

I am struggling to think of a reason to pick up a PS5 or XSX. I have Spiderman, Miles Morales and Hi Fi Rush all lined up for after Cyberpunk. No shortage of games at all.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GhostOfGolden

@eni232 said:

How much does it cost to buy a PC that runs those video games? Can we hook them up to a 65 inch TV or 75 inch TV with 120hrz. Or a oled tv.

About $600 minimum. And yes

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25

@osan0 said:

Pretty much converted to.....er...GNU/Linux PC (I do have windows 11 on my laptop but don't play games on it).

Just Nintendo holding out now at this stage. C'mon Nintendo. I know it makes absolutely no sense for you to go multiplat from a business standpoint but....C'mon. I'll buy a fancy Nintendo controller for my PC....Promise (dam I do not need more controllers). Yeah I know...fat chance of it happening.

I am struggling to think of a reason to pick up a PS5 or XSX. I have Spiderman, Miles Morales and Hi Fi Rush all lined up for after Cyberpunk. No shortage of games at all.

Yeah I'd honestly meet Nintendo halfway. You want me to buy a $50 USB adapter that requires me to connect a cartridge device or something to my PC? Fine, whatever.

Just let me play those one or two games you release each year Nintendo that actually look kind of good.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

I love my PS5. And my PS1 and PS2. And my PC.

Am I doing it wrong?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25
@ghostofgolden said:
@kvallyx said:

I am still hesitant because of the problems that you get with PCs. Error messages, driver updates, constantly updating your hardware GPU, CPU, RAM. It seems never ending. That said, they have the best versions of the games and perform the best as well. Then it seems games on PC are generally cheaper.

Error messages? Driver updates are damn near automatic and a nonissue. Hardware updates are only necessary when you deem them to be. At least you have a choice of what hardware you’re getting instead of having to settle for the consoles highly compromised specs.

PlayStation would be foolish to put their biggest titles on PC day one. Especially when they’re giving 30% to Steam. Not all companies are eager to share their revenue with 3rd parties that had nothing to do with the development or publishing of a game.

Yeah the "hassle" of PC is a myth at this point. Maybe 20+ years ago some of these complaints were valid, but not so much these days.

I've built my own PC's going as far back as the late 90's and I've yet to have a serious issue with them during builds, and once built they all work fine. And I am not an expert by any measure.

As far as updating, well...having played on a PS4 last gen, I honestly think that was the bigger hassle. Short battery life on controllers that constantly need charging, buying a physical disk only to need monstrous updates to the games once they installed off the optical disc, navigating a messy home page with basic up/down/left/right commands instead of an intuitive mouse and keyboard...

...yeah, I'll stick with PC. Far less hassle, far more capable.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 514 Posts

Sony releasing 1st party games on PC is the sole reason I haven't been forced to buy yet another console to play this gen to go with my PC. I love it because PC is the absolute best way to game, and I really can't stand going back to a console from playing PC.

Alot of the issues alot of console gamers bring up on PC aren't really an issue either, it's just hyperbole. Drivers are updated automatically for you, games can be optimized automatically for you, and you don't have to update your hardware that often. Even the cost of PC gaming is blown out of proportion by those who haven't done both console and PC.

Example: last gen I spent the same amount on console as I did PC, and I have none of the benefits of PC to show for it.

-PS4: $400+tax

-PS4 Pro: $500+tax

-7 years of PS+ to play online: $420 +tax

That's over $1,400 with tax in ONE gen just to play a current gen console with online and less framerate drops, half a grand of that money just being able to play online. No games bought, no backwards compatibility for my exsisting library, no customization, just hardware and online. At that point it's better to just buy a pre-built PC and go from there.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ENI232

@ghostofgolden:

Then there's no point to switch, to each his own.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KvallyX

@ghostofgolden said:

I don't know man. All I see is on the forums is that people prefer consoles over PCs because PCs are headaches with errors, bad ports, PC games not running on day one of release, not having proper drivers, not having the GPU or CPU that the game was designed around. Are you saying you never on the forums?

PlayStation wouldn't lose a dime if they put their biggest titles on PC day one. In fact, they would MAKE more money by putting them on PC day one. PS gamers will still buy the game on PS and PC gamers will still buy their games on PC. It's actually a win win for consumers. I personally am for the consumer, not for the publisher or corporate conglomerate.

@hardwenzen said:

Xbox hasn't had an exclusive since 2015. Are we gonna ignore that?

Xbox is packed with exclusives. But this thread has nothing to do with Xbox. Let's stay on topic. This is about Microsoft Windows PC and PlayStation!

@nod_calypse said:

Am I doing it wrong?

Yes, we are not allowed to be manticores!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

Because of course a Windows shill rag would say this...

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GirlUSoCrazy

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

Alot of the issues alot of console gamers bring up on PC aren't really an issue either, it's just hyperbole.

Reviewers seem to bring it up in comparisons of Steam Deck vs other, but maybe they're hyperbolic people.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

Lol the title should be "Don't get an Xbox get a PC" atleast PS5 has it's exclusives for few years.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ENI232

@pcgamerlaszlo:

You should watch your spending. The PS4 pro was 399$ at launch. I also got the PS4 pro but sold my regular PS4. As far as ps plus goes I would buy 30 to 40$ subscriptions that were available on black Friday or sales randomly.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GhostOfGolden

@eni232 said:

@ghostofgolden:

Then there's no point to switch, to each his own.

There’s no point to a better experience? PCs can run games in ways consoles never will.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PCGamerLaszlo

@eni232: Mine may have been a bundle or something, but my point still stands. Console gaming isn't as cheap as it's played out to be, it's just a cost spread out over time rather than a one point purchase like PC.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7713 Posts

PC obviously has way higher upfront cost than consoles, but if you buy a lot of games it gets more even in the long run, cheaper games and not having to pay for online add up. Like I got Lords of the fallen deluxe for 44€, meanwhile normal edition on PSN was 80€

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GhostOfGolden

@kvallyx said:
@ghostofgolden said:

I don't know man. All I see is on the forums is that people prefer consoles over PCs because PCs are headaches with errors, bad ports, PC games not running on day one of release, not having proper drivers, not having the GPU or CPU that the game was designed around. Are you saying you never on the forums?

I see more posts on forums calling the consoles pointless. And 90%+ of the streamers on Twitch and YouTube are on PC. “Not having the GPU or CPU the game was designed around”? Are you on a retro PC gaming forum? Games outside of a select few run on potato PCs. The Series S is doing a good job of keeping PC gamers from having to upgrade lol.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#28 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4580 Posts

Don't buy any console and just buy a PC would be the correct answer. PC generally plays the games better.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PCGamerLaszlo

@girlusocrazy: Id say it's more like reviewers have sponsors and are paid to lean one way or the other, but my statement was in general mis-information, like driver updates, optimization, and price like i talked about in my comment. I've even seen console gamers on this forum say that you can't play PC on the TV and couch game, which is one of the dumbest statements i've seen so far.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

As a PC gamer, I couldn't agree more with this.

@ghostofgolden said:
@eni232 said:

How much does it cost to buy a PC that runs those video games? Can we hook them up to a 65 inch TV or 75 inch TV with 120hrz. Or a oled tv.

About $600 minimum. And yes

Nope, try $700 at the least but I can see the entry level can go to $600 if you are using Intel Arc GPU.

Truth be told, $1,000 build is still recommended in my books but it all falls down to what resolution you are going for.

Loading Video...
Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2467 Posts

Coming off the PS4 with all those mediocre paint by numbers photorealistic movie games in the last few years and the destruction/starvation of their Japan Studio division that made the platform so special in the past and seeing all the games that were being ported to Windows anyway, I decided before the PS5 that the 4 would be my last. Had a PS2, 3, 4. PlayStation now is so bland.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44624 Posts

Might as well, PS5's exclusive line-up until 10th gen will be games they pay to keep off Xbox. Their first party output will mostly be ports of PS console games going to PC. Probably TLOU2 remaster next year, not long after PS5 re-release, to be followed by TLOU2 remake a year after that.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KvallyX

@blamix said:

Lol the title should be "Don't get an Xbox get a PC" atleast PS5 has it's exclusives for few years.

Sony announced they have 12 games coming out and they will be day one on PS and PC. Starting with Helldivers 2 and Concord for example.

No waiting for a few years. That is a good thing for gamers though, don't you agree?

@ghostofgolden said:

I see more posts on forums calling the consoles pointless. And 90%+ of the streamers on Twitch and YouTube are on PC. “Not having the GPU or CPU the game was designed around”? Are you on a retro PC gaming forum? Games outside of a select few run on potato PCs. The Series S is doing a good job of keeping PC gamers from having to upgrade lol.

You must be not be on game forums if you don't see people complaining that game X support NVIDIA features, or Game Y supports AMD features. And if you are not seeing people complaining that games on their powerful rigs are running like shit when the game comes out and needs massive patches and updates to make it even run, then you are clearly not on game forums. I see so many issues all the time from gamers complaining how new game came out and it doesn't run. Alan Wake 2, The Last of Us Part 1 for PC, Starfield. It's always the same ol thing...update your driver, need a patch, or turn down your settings and disable this, or whatever.

With PS and Xbox it's nice I can just download and play on my TV. Granted they have their issues, but no where near as bad as PC.

loudheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 loudheadphones
Member since 2023 • 1176 Posts

How author can be so stupid. Xbox copium hardcore

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

This will and have triggered the Sony fannies. 😂

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GhostOfGolden

@kvallyx: Nvidia software checks for driver updates and downloads the latest drivers on its own. It will notify you when there’s a new driver and ask for verification for the install. It’s as simple as your console telling you a game has an update available.

The Nvidia or AMD features you’re talking about are references DLSS or FSR. It’s not a requirement to play games. Nvidia hardware runs raytracing better than Nvidia. But either is leaps and bounds above console raytracing.

People complaining about having trouble playing at 165fps maxed out on their ultra wide isn’t the same as the game not running at all.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GhostOfGolden

@davillain: That’s the “best” $700 PC. He could have halved the ssd, dialed the PSU back and hit $600. And I said minimum. I would never build a $600 PC.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GirlUSoCrazy

@pcgamerlaszlo said:

@girlusocrazy: Id say it's more like reviewers have sponsors and are paid to lean one way or the other, but my statement was in general mis-information, like driver updates, optimization, and price like i talked about in my comment. I've even seen console gamers on this forum say that you can't play PC on the TV and couch game, which is one of the dumbest statements i've seen so far.

I can understand why you would be skeptical of certain outlets but it seems largely the consensus from what I've seen. Maybe you can point to someone who compares the issues in a manner you view as objective?

I'm sure some people exaggerate about not being able to play PC on TV, but I also think it's an exaggeration to say PC gaming issues vs console is a non-issue.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1270 Posts

But you hate PC.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16576 Posts

Yep, this is how I see things. Consoles are just getting more and more irrelevant. No point, just grab a pc. The only issue is that the user experience for pc gaming on a TV is shat. Microsoft really put minimal effort into it, and meanwhile steamOS has already perfected a console like experience. So im considering installing that and buying more steam games instead of dealing with windows. At least on my TV.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PCGamerLaszlo

@girlusocrazy said:
@pcgamerlaszlo said:

I can understand why you would be skeptical of certain outlets but it seems largely the consensus from what I've seen. Maybe you can point to someone who compares the issues in a manner you view as objective?

I'm sure some people exaggerate about not being able to play PC on TV, but I also think it's an exaggeration to say PC gaming issues vs console is a non-issue.

I would never say that any platform doesn't have issues somewhere along the line. We can all point out soft spots on other platforms all day, but I'm just saying the PC issues that I discussed in my original (driver updates, optimization, and Couch play) are highly exaggerated from alot of non-PC gamers. Whether it be out of jealousy or simply lack of knowledge on the subject, there's literally a quick fix option for every one of those issues I brought up. The PC fixes it for you on start up just like a console would, so I don't personally see how and issue is an issue with a platform when that platform has an options menu that resolves that issue entirely.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@pcgamerlaszlo: I did acknowledge that everyone can sometimes exaggerate everything, but they still fundamentally exist. I'd say that "there's literally a quick fix option for every one of those issues I brought up" may be an exaggeration as well, or an omission of other PC issues which cause friction when trying to approach the PC as an appliance for gaming.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Pedro

Connecting a PC to a TV is literally identical to that of a console.🤷🏽‍♂️

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@kvallyx said:

@nod_calypse said:

Am I doing it wrong?

Yes, we are not allowed to be manticores!

The SW council has spoken, apparently.

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1329 Posts

@randy_lahey said:

Peak MS fanboy desperation. Why would you need to buy an Xbox, all games on pc day 1. At least PS5 gets em first.

Bet that PS5 curb stomped Xbox in sales for Black Friday

Saint-George

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Saint-George
Member since 2023 • 1329 Posts

@loudheadphones said:

How author can be so stupid. Xbox copium hardcore

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#47 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Same goes for XBOX.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pedro

@pelvist said:

Same goes for XBOX.

Yep! But that has been given for over 6 years now.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22819 Posts

PC is king. I'm a believer. I guess I should really say, "I gravitate towards the platforms that have free online and let you keep your games each generation...."

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro
@TheEroica said:

PC is king. I'm a believer. I guess I should really say, "I gravitate towards the platforms that have free online and let you keep your games each generation...."

We have a non-believer of generations over here guys.