Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

https://gamerant.com/xbox-exec-matt-booty-playstation-exclusives-comments/

In an interview with Kinda Funny, Xbox Executive Matt Booty has shared that he feels as though Xbox has been behind Sony when it comes to large tentpole games. Booty states: “I think I tend to come at that more that we’re paying attention to fan expectations. I think there is a certain kind of game that generates an anticipation that kinda becomes this tentpole moment. It's a game that fits that intersection of everybody can play and it's also a big world you can inhabit. I think those kinds of games are important. And certainly, it's been a place where we have not been out in front. We haven't really had the sort of 1:1 with Sony there."

I agree that Xbox doesn't yet have that Horizon or GOW type game, but I think they are doing a great job of working on their first party and trying to compete with Sony. What do you think, SW? Does Xbox need these types of games or should they just focus on doing their own thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I think MS is lacking in one type of game, Sony in 10 types.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vaativids
Member since 2021 • 337 Posts

I think this is a defeatist attitude and it rubs me up the wrong way. They gave up years ago.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

The new Initiative Studios game, Perfect Dark Reboot, with help from Crystal Dynamics, sounds like the MS 1st party game he's looking for. ;)

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7229 Posts

Yeah, Microsoft doesn’t have movie games that can easily be played on YouTube. Let’s be happy for that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56407 Posts

No shit Matt Booty. MS & even Phil Spencer said it many times over the years Sony (even Nintendo) still has the upper-hand when it comes to higher exclusive games compare to what MS has now. But at least MS is slowly catching up to Sony but MS still needs something like God of War or at least Horizon style game to match Sony's exclusives but as of right now, MS is still below and Sony is still at the top.

But I agree MS is really doing well this gen, Game Pass & Xbox Play Anywhere is the best thing they ever done this gen and even Sony themselves admitted they want their own Game Pass style. Competition is always great for the gaming industry.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts
@ghost_of_phobos said:

I think MS is lacking in one type of game, Sony in 10 types.

Can you name the “10 types of games Sony is lacking”?

Because from where I stand, the Xbox is lacking in more genres of games than the ps.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I mean yeah, that's been the stigma for Xbox for multiple generations. Most non-indoctrinated gamers would tell you that if you're someone who likes racing games and/or online/shooters, then Xbox is your console, if not, then other platforms have more to offer. I virtually ignored Xbox in general for years because the only thing that differentiated them was the same Gears/Forza/Halo trifecta and more sequels for them wouldn't change my interest level at all. That's changed now with the acquisitions they've pulled. While they still have yet to actually release anything outside the same thing they've been doing for the last decade, for the first time in a long while they've got my attention, and they've made it easier to get my money by bringing their games to PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ermacness: You're joking right?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#12 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70402 Posts

There are enough games that follow the Sony formula already. We don't need more.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7307 Posts

@mesome713 said:

Yeah, Microsoft doesn’t have movie games that can easily be played on YouTube. Let’s be happy for that.

most dumbest comment on system wars. any game can be watched on utube.

I guess winning game of the years for many years has you guys calling every sony game a movie game.

I guess astroplay room, sack boy, dreams, ratchet and clank, demon souls, returnal, and many more all movie games.

I guess every game that has a story a movie game right?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gifford38
@ghost_of_phobos said:

nope were is xbox dreams, astro playroom, returnal, demon soul, ghost, miles, last of us, uncharted, midevil,

xbox only has gear of war, forza, and halo right now.

ps is only lacking a fps.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pedro

@gifford38: You are calling him out on the dumbest comment in forums when you stated the SSD renders triangles?🤔

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@girlusocrazy: he has been there long enough. And the wallet has opened for him as they’ve purchased studios. But all any can do is wait and see or just fanboy and post

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Xbox are in a better place to compete they are still miles of ps in terms of 1st party content. They will get better in the next 2-3 years.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17458 Posts

I think Phil Spencer said the same thing a couple of years ago about cinematic 3rd person action/adventure games.

Back then, he said Gears was their only big budget 3rd person game and that they were making investments to remedy that.

I agree with Matt and Phil, the industry seems to live those kinds of games and MS missed a large chunk of that trend.

Hopefully there's some in the pipeline but don't overdo it like Sony has. Love the games but Sony needs to diversify their output too. Where is Resistance? Proper RPGs?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gifford38

@girlusocrazy said:

@gifford38: For Dreams, Xbox had Project Spark but that didn't last long, I'm not sure if it was ever out of beta.

Xbox 360 had a lot of genres and niches covered but the brand has never gotten back to that point.

yes I want another 360 ps3 era.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gifford38
@Pedro said:

@gifford38: You are calling him out on the dumbest comment in forums when you stated the SSD renders triangles?🤔

big difference for saying something that epic was telling us or telling us watching a game on utube is just as fun. I just don't get why epic them selves would lie about it.

every game could be watched on utube no?

calling every game from sony is a movie game is just dumb sorry.

I guess if a game has a story = movie game.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9839 Posts

Yes, I think ms is lacking a AAA 3rd person action adventure. I’d give it a go, but it’s not my favourite genre…as long as they don’t go full Sony and nearly only make them I have nothing against it.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

@sealionact said:

Yes, I think ms is lacking a AAA 3rd person action adventure. I’d give it a go, but it’s not my favourite genre…as long as they don’t go full Sony and nearly only make them I have nothing against it.

this^^. I do enjoy games like TLOU2 and GOW.

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Vaativids

I’m not big into driving games like FH5, but Stalker 2 looked great in the trailer at E3 this year. So even if they don’t have anything AAA amazing releases yet, they do have games coming which actually look really good so far. I just want to see more trailers before I even think of buying an Xbox.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44546 Posts

Yep. Microsoft has certainly made some acquisitions and building of studios like The Initiative to help address that. It’ll be interesting to see all the stuff that comes from this.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39701 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@vaativids: Stalker 2 is only exclusive for 3 months

wow for all this time i thought the game was exclusive to xbox/pc.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Posting this and I may not agree with all of it but people saying Xbox lacks variety, my goodness does this include just about every genre of gaming and all on GP right now plus tons more. Good stuff. :P

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/best-xbox-game-pass-games/1100-6488255/

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16604 Posts

well it does seem to be true that sony has a better relationship with 3rd party devs than MS does. I mean almost every AAA game that released on playstation this year has been from a 3rd party dev. It raises questions on why MS wasn't able to secure the same game. Even deathloop, sony got exclusive rights for before bethesda was purchased by MS. How did sony get exclusive rights for this game while MS didn't? And these aren't just any games, but big blockbuster 3rd party games. MS does get some exclusive 3rd party games like psychonauts and medium, but psychonauts is available to play on the ps4 and the medium was barely hyped. MS has a bank account thats deeper than about anybody, so it raises questions about competence. Missing out on Kena, and deathloop were both huge mistakes for a company like MS.

Well even though this is true, I've never felt that the xbox has had a drought since it released because gamepass has always had something to play. End of the day, I'd still pick xbox over the ps5 if theres only one I could choose.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Ps copy Ubisofts formula and insert adult-child,storyline's in 99% of games

Unchartered adult takes kid under his wing,HZD adult takes kid under his wing,tlou adult takes kid under his wing,god of war adult takes kid under his wing,death stranding adult has child to care for, Detroit become human,adult droid takes child under her wing yada,yada,yada

Sony just rehash the same old,nothing original to see at sony

Vaativids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vaativids

@girlusocrazy: Wow, thanks. I’ll spend that money on a holiday to Greece or something like that.

Might pick up an Xbox if Starfield or ES6 is ever released but I fear for Bethesda, I really do.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

No I am not. Name them?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@ermacness: There's no open world racing, no strategy, no 2d Metroidvania, no flight simulator. Adding the now owned Bethesda portfolio the list of genres grows even more.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pedro

@gifford38 said:

big difference for saying something that epic was telling us or telling us watching a game on utube is just as fun. I just don't get why epic them selves would lie about it.

Epic never stated that the SSD renders triangles. That was all you man.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-628e6669daebe

@girlusocrazy: Ah, ok, just like every system has 3rd person action games?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator

@navyguy21 said:

I think Phil Spencer said the same thing a couple of years ago about cinematic 3rd person action/adventure games.

Back then, he said Gears was their only big budget 3rd person game and that they were making investments to remedy that.

I agree with Matt and Phil, the industry seems to live those kinds of games and MS missed a large chunk of that trend.

Hopefully there's some in the pipeline but don't overdo it like Sony has. Love the games but Sony needs to diversify their output too. Where is Resistance? Proper RPGs?

It's not just cinematic driven games MS missed, its also JRPG games that MS failed to capture during their Xbox One era. MS had good JRPG games on the 360 but they got lazy of working with Japanese developers but as you said, they put too much into Gears is why they missed getting any quality JRPG on their side. Scalebound was getting lots of interest until the fallout of Platinum Games. Their once JRPG exclusive went down the drained.

One thing I'll give MS credit is they are more diversity in their games compare to Sony/Nintendo IMO, they do need to invest more JRPG cause the Asian gaming market is big then anyone thinks.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Gifford38

@Pedro said:
@gifford38 said:

Epic never stated that the SSD renders triangles. That was all you man.

nope in the interview after the unreal engine 5 demo the guy said it.

Epic's Tim Sweeney won't make any direct performance comparisons, but during a conversation on Zoom he says that Unreal Engine 5 takes advantage of next-gen SSD storage speeds. "[Unreal Engine] Five now is optimizing for next-generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster, but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it despite it not all fitting in memory, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else. Sony's pioneering that with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a god-tier storage system, which is pretty far ahead of PCs."

https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/epic-unreal-engine-5-i-got-first-look-ps5-now-im-believer/

so no it was not me making crap up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBhcqCRzsU4

13:58 he ask nick a question and he answer the ssd is streaming in triangles frame by frame that does not fit in memory.

so again its not what I made up.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

I think MS's issue has less to do with lack of genres, but lack of new brand defining IP. Halo, Gears, and especially Forza are all arguably at the top of their respective genres, but they're also getting pretty long in the tooth.

This is an issue that I expect to be rectified when their Zenimax acquisition begins to bear fruit.

Forza undeniably sits at the top of it's genre. There are better FPS's than Halo and there are better TPS's then Gears. Their glory days are up.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1273 Posts

TBH all 3 of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's first party output has been underwhelming or uninteresting to me for a good while now

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45495 Posts

@my_user_name said:

TBH all 3 of Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's first party output has been underwhelming or uninteresting to me for a good while now

I think it's time for you to retire from gaming lol.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DaVillain  Moderator

@my_user_name said:

If that's the case you might as well play Indie games from now on. I'll admit, I been having fun with playing Indie games than AAA/AA games but still, a game is a game in my eyes. But the way you said it, I advice go into hiatus from gaming cause I been enjoying whatever comes my way from the big 3. Been gaming since the early 90's and still enjoy gaming to this day.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Microsoft hasn't made a good exclusive since 2011. Sony, on the other hand has held a decade of dominance, with 4 out of the last 5 GOTY winners being PS exclusive, with multiple PS exclusive contenders. a MS exclusive hasn't been a serious contender since 2007 (Halo 3, which was beaten horribly by Bioshock and SMG anyway) so maybe Gears 1? (06)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@my_user_name: So you just dislike great games, gotcha.