Xbox official multiplat announcement - Hi-Fi Rush, Sea of Thieves, Pentiment and Grounded [Geoff Keighley - The first 4]

• 86 results
Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11182 Posts

At Xbox, we strive to create games that inspire, entertain, and connect players from around the world. As a publisher and platform we are committed to meeting players where they are, by bringing more games, to more people, and on more devices. And at the heart of all we do are our players, and the vibrant communities that they build around the games they love.

Today we are announcing that four fan-favorite Xbox games will be coming to Nintendo Switch and Sony platforms this spring. The studios that built these celebrated games have drawn on their multi-platform experience to open the worlds they created to even more players and communities.

• Pentiment from Obsidian Entertainment, a truly unique, critically acclaimed, and award-winning narrative adventure game with a striking visual style inspired by history itself will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on February 22.
  • Hi-Fi RUSH, the award-winning and beloved rhythm-based action game where the world syncs to the music from Tango Gameworks/Bethesda Softworks will be coming to PlayStation 5 on March 19 at midnight UTC, with pre-purchase available on PlayStation 5 digital storefronts on February 21.
  • Grounded – also from Obsidian Entertainment – a co-op survival adventure phenomenon that has welcomed 20 million players into the backyard, will be coming to PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch on April 16. Cross play will be supported across Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch and PC.
  • Sea of Thieves, the shared world adventure game from Rare, will be coming to PlayStation 5 on April 30 – and will be available to wishlist by PlayStation 5 players starting tomorrow, February 22. Having built a passionate community of more than 35 million players from around the world, the support of cross play for Xbox, PlayStation and PC will allow players to experience epic pirate adventures with friends on more platforms.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/02/21/new-platforms-new-players-xbox-games-switch-playstation/

On this day, Sony officially welcomes Xbox into the Playstation family. Not with games that were already on the systems, but games originally developed for the Xbox platform. Today is the day the Berlin Wall of gaming dissolves, as the console wars become no more. Playstation has now become the bearer of both first party development communities. Long live the king.

These are the first 4 according to Geoff Keighley

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7246 Posts

now question is are they 70 bucks or are they added to ps plus?

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

The first 4. Wonder what the next batch will be.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

Sea of Thieves - Rare's first ever PlayStation title. Though it makes me wonder if Sony tried to Court them during the PSOne era.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

Fun fact: This will marked Rare's first ever published game going to Sony's platform for the first time in Rare's gaming development career. What a history this is for Rare when they released Sea of Thieves.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9556 Posts

@nintendoboy16: That is an interesting question. I wonder if Sony ever did reach out.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

Microsoft leading the way to brighter future for gaming and giving access to more games for gamers. Love to see it.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BenjaminBanklin

@davillain said:

Fun fact: This will marked Rare's first ever published game going to Sony's platform for the first time in Rare's gaming development career. What a history this is for Rare when they released Sea of Thieves.

This would break a 29 year streak. Never thought I'd see the day

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

@uitravioience said:

The first 4. Wonder what the next batch will be.

Might see another soon. I thought the last of the four titles would come by the end of the year, not April.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Crazy how the leaks were accurate.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

MS has bowed to Sony, confirmed. This literally ends the console war.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44344 Posts

@gifford38 said:

now question is are they 70 bucks or are they added to ps plus?

I would imagine that's up to Sony as they pay to have the games show up on the service.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#13 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@X_CAPCOM_X: It's worth a thought, given how many companies Sony DID court from Nintendo at the time (most notably Square). Though I can't imagine games like Banjo, Conker, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark would've been the same. Lol

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13047 Posts

First 4? LOL. What? MS and Sony have been porting games to multiple platforms for years.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1130 Posts

I hope there will be physical versions.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BenjaminBanklin

@girlusocrazy said:

I hope there will be physical versions.

Actually, there are. From Limited Run Games.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1130 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Awesome, I just saw that news on IGN.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

@kvallyx said:

First 4? LOL. What? MS and Sony have been porting games to multiple platforms for years.

First 4 as long as we don't count PC.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1004 Posts

While this is actually very good for gamers, it does reinforce the notion that MS has well and truly lost the console wars. Also why should anyone buy an Xbox?

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KvallyX

@R4gn4r0k said:
@kvallyx said:

First 4 as long as we don't count PC.

Microsoft developed Minecraft Legends for PS and Nintendo. Microsoft developed Minecraft Dungeons for Nintendo and PS. Microsoft ported Ori to Switch. Microsoft developed Psychonauts 2 for PS. Microsoft is developing all the new Elder Scrolls Online expansions for PS. Microsoft developed Golden Eye 007 Remaster for Nintendo. We should also add all their ports to the PC platform as well.

This ain't no "FIRST 4" lol. This is "latest 4". First 4 is console war bait from Geoff "Sony" Keighley.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KvallyX
@nfamouslegend said:

While this is actually very good for gamers, it does reinforce the notion that MS has well and truly lost the console wars. Also why should anyone buy an Xbox?

There are hundreds of millions of us gamers that want nothing to do with PC. Same reason PS players are buying a PS instead of PC.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Won't be surprised if Avowed, Redfall and Starfield come sometime later this year into early next year.

I still won't ever believe it even if I see Halo, Gears of War or Forza on PS5 with my own eyes.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KvallyX

@mysticaldonut said:

Won't be surprised if Avowed, Redfall and Starfield come sometime later this year into early next year.

I still won't ever believe it even if I see Halo, Gears of War or Forza on PS5 with my own eyes.

Unlikely. Here is what Phil has said and planned all along.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenjaminBanklin

@kvallyx said:

Microsoft developed Minecraft Legends for PS and Nintendo. Microsoft developed Minecraft Dungeons for Nintendo and PS. Microsoft ported Ori to Switch. Microsoft developed Psychonauts 2 for PS. Microsoft is developing all the new Elder Scrolls Online expansions for PS. Microsoft developed Golden Eye 007 Remaster for Nintendo. We should also add all their ports to the PC platform as well.

This ain't no "FIRST 4" lol. This is "latest 4". First 4 is console war bait from Geoff "Sony" Keighley.

Minecraft is a franchise that's already committed to the Nintendo and PS platforms though. Psychonauts 2 was already in development for PS4. ESO is already established on PS platforms, it's not like they're taking the expansions away. This is different. These are legit XGS games coming to Playstation and Switch. It's a waving of the white flag, the console war is done with this action.

Xbox gamers will always have Xbox consoles to play on in the future. Those will be for the hardcore. But, as it stands, this is the future. This is the first 4 in the current MS strategy. Their consoles alone can't cut it anymore.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BenjaminBanklin

@mysticaldonut said:

Yeah. I'm not surprised at anything at this point, and Phil ruled nothing out. Game Pass isn't growing, so these games are capped in revenue. They really need to bury Redfall though and pretend it never happened.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KvallyX

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@kvallyx said:

Minecraft is a franchise that's already committed to the Nintendo and PS platforms though. Psychonauts 2 was already in development for PS4. ESO is already established on PS platforms, it's not like they're taking the expansions away. This is different. These are legit XGS games coming to Playstation and Switch. It's a waving of the white flag, the console war is done with this action.

Xbox gamers will always have Xbox consoles to play on in the future. Those will be for the hardcore. But, as it stands, this is the future. This is the first 4 in the current MS strategy. Their consoles alone can't cut it anymore.

Minecraft, the OG game was committed, yes. Spin-offs never were. That said, it shows MS' commitment to going multiplatform for MANY years now, not just the first 4 this month. Same with ESO and the expansions. MS could have canceled Psyconauts 2 for PS4 like they canceled Starfield for PS5. It's no different, it shows MS' commitment to bringing their games and supporting their games on multiple platforms outside of PC and Xbox for the past decade and now the future decade. Nothing changed.

But I agree, consoles can't cut it. Same for PS as well, with their new focus on going multiplatform. Record LOW profits have forced their hand.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin

@kvallyx said:

Minecraft, the OG game was committed, yes. Spin-offs never were. That said, it shows MS' commitment to going multiplatform for MANY years now, not just the first 4 this month. Same with ESO and the expansions. MS could have canceled Psyconauts 2 for PS4 like they canceled Starfield for PS5. It's no different, it shows MS' commitment to bringing their games and supporting their games on multiple platforms outside of PC and Xbox for the past decade and now the future decade. Nothing changed.

But I agree, consoles can't cut it. Same for PS as well, with their new focus on going multiplatform. Record LOW profits have forced their hand.

Xbox was never that committed outside of games already contractually obligated or established to the platform. Phil had always said at the beginning of his tenure that he wanted to win this console war, MS top brass had a different view apparently. Anyway, these games are slowly rolling out now. I don't see Sony needing to give Xbox anything in return as Phil isn't expecting it. Xbox isn't a healthy enough platform obviously, and Sony already has games on PC. Sony's margins will only grow as Xbox continues to obscure theirs.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69980 Posts

Great news. Sony fans were longing for these games.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#29 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

Hi Fi Rush is probably the only title from Xbox, I am interested in getting.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KvallyX

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@kvallyx said:

Xbox was never that committed outside of games already contractually obligated or established to the platform. Phil had always said at the beginning of his tenure that he wanted to win this console war, MS top brass had a different view apparently. Anyway, these games are slowly rolling out now. I don't see Sony needing to give Xbox anything in return as Phil isn't expecting it. Xbox isn't a healthy enough platform obviously, and Sony already has games on PC. Sony's margins will only grow as Xbox continues to obscure theirs.

Sony margins are at a record low right now. No big first party games at least until April of 2025, and the only announced game is Wolverine, which was leaked from official documents as being a 2026 game.

When MS is getting 70% of every Call of Duty sale on PlayStation (to PlayStation's 30%), the Xbox division is only going to grow, as are their profits.

I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers 2 hits Xbox later this year.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3043 Posts

Microsoft just tweeted this

"The biggest games will be more than just one platform"

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KvallyX

@uitravioience said:

Yup! They love Microsoft Windows PC for gaming!

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

@uitravioience said:

MS hasn't released a single platform game for over 7 years.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17452 Posts

@uitravioience said:

Thats true when you think about CoD, Fortnite, Minecraft, etc.

Also, what tweet are you talking about? This one?

"This all means that the biggest games in the world will be available on Xbox, with continued Game Pass day one releases, a multi-year hardware roadmap, and a commitment to a player-first platform. We are here to help game creators reach the largest audience possible. The biggest games are larger than any one platform."

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

@nfamouslegend: Easy answer, not many gamers like PC, so there's plenty of reasons to buy an Xbox console if you don't have a gaming PC.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BenjaminBanklin

@kvallyx said:

Sony margins are at a record low right now. No big first party games at least until April of 2025, and the only announced game is Wolverine, which was leaked from official documents as being a 2026 game.

When MS is getting 70% of every Call of Duty sale on PlayStation (to PlayStation's 30%), the Xbox division is only going to grow, as are their profits.

But, at least Sony has margins. MS keeping theirs a mystery the entire time while spending 80 billion in acquisitions caught up to them, fast. Sony's margins likely wouldn't grow much by bringing games to platforms they're outselling 2.5 to 1, they want people to have access to their store. Especially to a userbase that's not used to paying full price for games anymore.

That's a big part of why this is happening in the first place. MS needs customers that will full pay full price for their games, somewhere.

@uitravioience said:

Welp. That's that.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

@Pedro said:

Not to play them though.😂

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

I'd buy a physical release of hi-fi rush, but limited run games charge a lot in shipping; well, i guess i'll see how much it is this time.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 KvallyX

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@kvallyx said:

But, at least Sony has margins. MS keeping theirs a mystery the entire time while spending 80 billion in acquisitions caught up to them, fast. Sony's margins likely wouldn't grow much by bringing games to platforms they're outselling 2.5 to 1, they want people to have access to their store. Especially to a userbase that's not used to paying full price for games anymore.

That's a big part of why this is happening in the first place. MS needs customers that will full pay full price for their games, somewhere.

@uitravioience said:

Welp. That's that.

But Xbox is doing better margins than PS. So not only does Xbox have margins, they have better margins. And Game Pass is already profitable as well, and is only 10-15% of their business at Xbox.

Sony has determined that their Store isn't cutting it for them, so they need to spread their games to more platforms. That is according to Sony just this past week, again.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Pedro

@me2002 said:
@Pedro said:

True, Sony fannies don't like playing games.😎

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46483 Posts

I guess the Cow mantra of "Just wait" is back.

We went from Xbox is dead to Just wait in the span of a week.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 me2002

@Pedro said:
@me2002 said:
@Pedro said:

how's your obsession going?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pedro

@me2002: Odd, you responded to my comment?🤭

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#44 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

The more people that get to play these games, the better. It helps create a healthy market and pumps some life into the economy.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 me2002

@Pedro said:

@me2002: Odd, you responded to my comment?🤭

and you didn't answer my question.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pedro

@me2002: I have no idea what you are talking about but you are free to elaborate.🤷‍♂️

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 me2002

@Pedro said:

@me2002: I have no idea what you are talking about but you are free to elaborate.🤷‍♂️

😉

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 BenjaminBanklin

@kvallyx said:

But Xbox is doing better margins than PS. So not only does Xbox have margins, they have better margins. And Game Pass is already profitable as well, and is only 10-15% of their business at Xbox.

Sony has determined that their Store isn't cutting it for them, so they need to spread their games to more platforms. That is according to Sony just this past week, again.

What's your source on that? The COVID bubble burst and everyone's feeling the pinch. Xbox had only been keeping afloat for this long due the parent company. They're wanting results now. They have to do better than pasting Activision's revenue to theirs.

@Pedro said:

Xbox fans don't like buying or playing games. Hence, here we are. 😁

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@BenjaminBanklin: Last I check Sony is releasing games on PC 🤷‍♂️

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin

@Pedro said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Last I check Sony is releasing games on PC 🤷‍♂️

Yep, not on Xbox though. Which is what makes this a milestone. I'm glad your happy for MS's current change in strategy. They appreciate your support. 😁