Xbox Scarlett is on-board with higher framerates (60fps) then raw graphics! Smart move MS!

• 74 results
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

It seems MS will be focusing on better framerates then 8K at the very least. Xbox Team says framerate will matter most on Project Scarlett and as a PC Gamer Elite, I always prefer better framerates to better graphics myself but anyhow, here's a quote what the team has to say:

“Do I feel like I can get into the game as fast as possible and while it’s playing, how does it feel? Does this game look and feel like no other game that I’ve seen? That’s [the Xbox team’s] target,” Spencer added.

Just keep this in mind, both Resolution and framerates are limited by consoles developers. Xbox One X can do both 4K & 60fps "if" developers take the time to optimize their games and even so should take it with a grind of salt. Any issues you have should be taken up with the respective Developers.

So what's it gonna be to you? PS5=8K or Xbox Scarlett=better framerates 60fps? Make your choice.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#2 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Well I have a 4K tv and do not envision me buying an 8k one soon. Frame rate really does add to a game as well. I’ll probably buy both as I’ve dont every gen.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

8k just feels like a useless resolution bump. Programs already struggle to meet compatibility especially on windows. There is still little 4k content out there. If Xbox team is going to focus on framerates vs resolution then its great. It's not like dynamic resolution going to disappear. It's great tech for stable performance regardless of the platform.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Huh, didn't expect that.

PS5 cause i'm a cow.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Forget 8K. If they want to hit 60fps, native 4K can't be a target either.

This, "get into the game as fast as possible" talk has me a little concerned about their priorities. SSD's are coming down in price, sure. But the cost and capacity are still concerns with a $499 box. This focus on "getting into the game as fast as possible" could mean compromises in graphical power and/or storage capacity. People are hyping next gen as the most balanced ever, but I have my concerns.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pedro

@goldenelementxl: Hybrid SSDs or SSD prices are going to be within scope as in 1TB. Besides you can't expect high performance at dirt cheap prices. Compromises must be made.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Seriously why has it taken them so long to realise framerate is important? Good news for Xbox gamers anyway, I hope Sony take a similar approach.

I can't think what possible use people will have for 8K consoles next year. If that's the direction Sony are headed in they will be stuck at 30fps for demanding games for another record breaking generation. You have to hope they won't be that stupid.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1259 Posts

I don't even own a 4k tv, so 8k will likely be useless for me for til like 2025. This is definitely good news.

I hope performance modes become standard for consoles. 1080p + 60fps suits me just fine.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61519 Posts

8K is tripe. 4K is still relatively new, and all that's needed within a standard HT/LR setup. I've happily dropped AA when running at 4K, and it's directly benefited performance, with minimal visual degradation.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:

Seriously why has it taken them so long to realise framerate is important? Good news for Xbox gamers anyway, I hope Sony take a similar approach.

Simple answer. Gamers.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

Sounds good

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Simple answer. Gamers.

It was clearly decided by console gamers wanting more resolutions then framerates ever since the start of this gen and remember those Xbox One 900p vs PS4 1080p? Yep.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueinheaven
@davillain- said:
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Simple answer. Gamers.

It was clearly decided by console gamers wanting more resolutions then framerates ever since the start of this gen and remember those Xbox One 900p vs PS4 1080p? Yep.

Are you both seriously suggesting that console gamers argue about anything other than what they're given to argue with?

And since when have Sony or MS ever listened to a single word gamers have to say? Specially MS who believe the public wants what the public gets to paraphrase a certain Mr Weller.

There is never a choice for console gamers. That right there is why the discerning gamer will always, always choose PC.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17848 Posts

Frame rate doesn't matter though. It has no impact on the enjoyment of a game....

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

So, what happens when the games stop looking good compared to the PS5, and they lower the framerate to 30 FPS again, so that they can invest on visuals? Because these news sound like every new console at the beginning of its generation.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

So are they gonna force this on developers, cause I don't see that turning out well for them if that's the case.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:

Are you both seriously suggesting that console gamers argue about anything other than what they're given to argue with?

And since when have Sony or MS ever listened to a single word gamers have to say? Specially MS who believe the public wants what the public gets to paraphrase a certain Mr Weller.

There is never a choice for console gamers. That right there is why the discerning gamer will always, always choose PC.

Stop being silly. Both companies have FACTUALLY adapted to gamers requests. For anyone to argue that MS hasn't is simply living in denial. The Xbox One X exist because of the bitching of Xbox One resolution. Two years of the media and gamers complaining. Lets not do the amnesia game.

l3igl3oss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By l3igl3oss
Member since 2004 • 74 Posts

Besides, history has shown that optimization is to make the games run smoother, not for them to look better after they get the performance down. They're faster when the developers still haven't figured out a look for the series.

1. Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting was faster than Champion Edition and so was Super SFII Turbo great looking.
  2. Bare Knuckle III was much smoother than Streets of Rage 2 and about equal to the first which didn't look that great.
  3. Sonic Adventure 2 had consistent 60 FPS after SEGA had invested on Sonic Adventure's look and it animated badly.
  4. Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn was better than even VF Remix after switching from polygons to background layers.
  5. Tomb Raider the Last Revelation was more consistent than TRIII when it ditched the overly detailed textures for shapes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Pfff, anything less than 120fps is just pure garbage.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20147 Posts

Only like 10 people are going to care about 8K for a long while. Let Sony and MS worry about getting 4K right with 60fps.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22391 Posts

@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Stop being silly. Both companies have FACTUALLY adapted to gamers requests. For anyone to argue that MS hasn't is simply living in denial. The Xbox One X exist because of the bitching of Xbox One resolution. Two years of the media and gamers complaining. Lets not do the amnesia game.

You're making too much sense man... that doesn't belong on these forums :)

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

I don't think SONY will be any different at the start of the gen. Anyone thinking that Xbox will be at 60 fps or higher at a lower res and PS5 at 30 fps and a higher res is likely smoking crack. Perhaps.. but highly unlikely. Both SONY and MS have been pushing 60 fps with more and more games as the gen progressed.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11191 Posts

Framerate is the most important priority. I ain't buying this console, but this is a step in the right direction.

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

It will have to be a joint movement by developers to be accepted in numbers by consumers. I still remember when gamers were fine with 20 FPS on Playstation, Saturn and Nintendo 64, because they wanted to play their games, but the times have changed and now they want games to play the console.

This isn't big news though. A locked and constant framerate is a far cry from the unlocked and synced to its monitor or graphics card alternative. People will also have to ensure that they can double the number of frames with the television's refresh rate. We're looking at optimization to avoid a drop in performance.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@blueinheaven: I don't think anyone can single out MS for not listening to gamers. Before the disastrous launch, ms abandoned numerous policies due to complaints from gamers, they introduced BC as it was widely requested by gamers, numerous features have been added to Xbox and some taken away (kinect) after listening to what gamers want. They've clearly heard that frame rates are important, and compared to Sony, they've been very Pro active with updates and requested features like name changes on PSN which took forever, and is still a mess.

And as a discerning mostly mp gamer, the reasons I prefer consoles over pc are simple; more parity with opponents, and infinitely less hacks and cheats, as well as hardware cost.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DaVillain  Moderator

@WitIsWisdom said:

I don't think SONY will be any different at the start of the gen. Anyone thinking that Xbox will be at 60 fps or higher at a lower res and PS5 at 30 fps and a higher res is likely smoking crack. Perhaps.. but highly unlikely. Both SONY and MS have been pushing 60 fps with more and more games as the gen progressed.

It's still up to consoles developers but the main thing is, MS wants to have those optional keys for developers to use but mostl likely, developers will still want to push graphics over better framerates.

We all gotta start somewhere.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7266 Posts

Very good to hear the focus is on frame rate. A solid 60fps is needed interestingly seeing what Sony do.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

finally MS is taking gaming seriously after a 5 year staycation in some unground bunker in the middle of nowhere.

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Third parties will do what they want. Lying Phil at it again, considering what XBOX offers for their first party line up looks like Xboners can look forward to Ori 3 and other 2D Microsoft first party indies in 60fps.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Why is it that Phil Spencer is always doing so much yapping? You don’t hear the other guys yap all day. Just make good games Phil. Stop talking

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

First party, 3rd party can do what they want.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9580 Posts

@davillain- said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

It's still up to consoles developers but the main thing is, MS wants to have those optional keys for developers to use but mostl likely, developers will still want to push graphics over better framerates.

We all gotta start somewhere.

Yeah, I agree with this. Honestly (and I have absolutely no idea, so I'm not going to act as though I do), it kind of sounds like perhaps MS is saying this as a way to watch their backs if they have the slightly weaker console. If they went after fps instead this would make a lot of sense. If not however I guess it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blueinheaven
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Okay let me get this right. You're saying Sony listened to gamers who wanted 4K at the expense of framerates in the Pro no matter what even though nobody had a 4K TV at the time.

You're also saying MS listened to gamers who wanted 4K in the X even though most people still didn't have a 4K TV.

So it's nothing to do with clowns in suits deciding what's easiest to market to the public then? Don't think for a second Mark Cerny wanted the Pro to be a 30fps console but it's not him who makes these decisions. And don't think marketing execs do what's best for gamers they give not one shit about anything outside of what will make the most money and give them the biggest market share. They went for the 4K buzzword.

Same thing with that idiot Spencer who was bleating about 4K over and over like a fucking parrot when the X was announced. Now he says oh we made a mistake there's a disparity between framerate and graphics he says this after making a complete dick of himself in a Gamespot interview where he questioned why anyone would even want 60fps.

Or are you saying gamers have all now unanimously agreed that framerates are now suddenly important and MS The Listening Company are responding to that? lol.

Don't get me wrong it's great that the new console will have a CPU that isn't dogshit like their previous efforts but trust me it's nothing to do with MS listening to anyone this is the company that destroyed their own launch by trying to implement the most anti-consumer practices in videogame history.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven
@sealionact said:

@blueinheaven: I don't think anyone can single out MS for not listening to gamers. Before the disastrous launch, ms abandoned numerous policies due to complaints from gamers, they introduced BC as it was widely requested by gamers, numerous features have been added to Xbox and some taken away (kinect) after listening to what gamers want. They've clearly heard that frame rates are important, and compared to Sony, they've been very Pro active with updates and requested features like name changes on PSN which took forever, and is still a mess.

And as a discerning mostly mp gamer, the reasons I prefer consoles over pc are simple; more parity with opponents, and infinitely less hacks and cheats, as well as hardware cost.

Can you tell me when MS 'heard' that frame rates are important? Why didn't they hear this before producing the Xbox One X which clearly cared not one jot for framerates.

Is this some recent new born again type revelation they've had?

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Unless Microsoft ban the release of games from their system, they cannot dictate 60FPS.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

Nobody will be focusing on 8k. Stop the bullshit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:

Okay let me get this right. You're saying Sony listened to gamers who wanted 4K at the expense of framerates in the Pro no matter what even though nobody had a 4K TV at the time.

You're also saying MS listened to gamers who wanted 4K in the X even though most people still didn't have a 4K TV.

So it's nothing to do with clowns in suits deciding what's easiest to market to the public then? Don't think for a second Mark Cerny wanted the Pro to be a 30fps console but it's not him who makes these decisions. And don't think marketing execs do what's best for gamers they give not one shit about anything outside of what will make the most money and give them the biggest market share. They went for the 4K buzzword.

Same thing with that idiot Spencer who was bleating about 4K over and over like a fucking parrot when the X was announced. Now he says oh we made a mistake there's a disparity between framerate and graphics he says this after making a complete dick of himself in a Gamespot interview where he questioned why anyone would even want 60fps.

Or are you saying gamers have all now unanimously agreed that framerates are now suddenly important and MS The Listening Company are responding to that? lol.

Don't get me wrong it's great that the new console will have a CPU that isn't dogshit like their previous efforts but trust me it's nothing to do with MS listening to anyone this is the company that destroyed their own launch by trying to implement the most anti-consumer practices in videogame history.

Seems like you just want to rant without basis. The fact is that both companies have FACTUALLY listened to gamers. Not sure what or why you are struggling with such a basic concept and fact. You can spend all your time arguing about things you don't like about either company but the fact doesn't change. You ask why there was a focus on graphics and resolution? Because gamers cried out for it. Now gamers are crying again for 60 fps and the adjustment is being made to cater to this request. Again, simple complaint and reaction. Nothing complicated.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueinheaven
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Seems like you just want to rant without basis. The fact is that both companies have FACTUALLY listened to gamers. Not sure what or why you are struggling with such a basic concept and fact. You can spend all your time arguing about things you don't like about either company but the fact doesn't change. You ask why there was a focus on graphics and resolution? Because gamers cried out for it. Now gamers are crying again for 60 fps and the adjustment is being made to cater to this request. Again, simple complaint and reaction. Nothing complicated.

Okay I'll make this simple for you. Give me a link to gamers all crying out for 4K resolution before the Pro and X released and another link which shows they have all universally changed their minds in hive-like fashion and now want 60fps.

Honestly, I have never heard you spout such nonsense.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@blueinheaven said:

Okay I'll make this simple for you. Give me a link to gamers all crying out for 4K resolution before the Pro and X released and another link which shows they have all universally changed their minds in hive-like fashion and now want 60fps.

I am not the one with the problem, you are are. I am telling you that both companies have reacted to gamers requests. You are saying they haven't and that is a factually false statement. Trying to twist this as all gamers are stating this is simply a failed attempt to accept reality because NO ONE implied that all gamers wanted X or Y.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blueinheaven
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

I am not the one with the problem, you are are. I am telling you that both companies have reacted to gamers requests. You are saying they haven't and that is a factually false statement. Trying to twist this as all gamers are stating this is simply a failed attempt to accept reality because NO ONE implied that all gamers wanted X or Y.

I asked for proof that either company reacted to gamer requests. I'm still waiting. I particularly want to see where you pulled this whole 'gamers suddenly now want 60fps' thing from.

Take your time. I'm here all night.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

MS should be more worried about exclusives and just games in general.....no point talking about all this tech stuff when there are no good games to show them off with, etc.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

@blueinheaven: This whole post is about ms recognising that frame rates are important. Even before that there are many games that offer frame rates over resolution on x1x....and even going back to X1 launch titles, games would prioritise frame rates over resolution.

Heck, there's way more 60 FPS games on x1x than pro as we speak....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pedro

@blueinheaven: Have fun

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
@Pedro said:
@blueinheaven said:

Simple answer. Gamers.

Yep. it was only 2-3 years ago when graphics were the only thing that mattered. 60fps just became the big thing.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Isn't it up to the individual developers to optimize the game how they want?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

What happened to "you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps" and "30fps is more cinematic"? Lol

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@XVision84 said:

What happened to "you can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps" and "30fps is more cinematic"? Lol

30fps is more cinematic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@Pedro: Go back to doing Pedro things, Pedro. Leave the technical talk to the adults :P.