Yet another opportunity to remind everyone.....

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

how much current gen consoles suck.

We are nearly 2 full years in and the PS4 only has ONE retail AAA on metacritic that isnt a cross gen game. Notice I said AAA, and not AAA "exclusive". Bloodborne, and The Witcher 3. The Xbone is worse. It only has one. two years in. The 360 had 11 AAAs at this point in its lifespan.

Whatever happened to launching with a $350 game like the OGXbox did with Halo CE? The N64 launching with SM64? The Dreamcast launching with fucking Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, and fucking PowerStone? Fast foreward to this gen and we have games like The Last of Us which was clearly intended to be a new IP launched on PS4, but instead, held back and dumbed down for PS3 just to get extra cash (and then the PS3 version of that game later ported to PS4).

This whole "drop half a grand on underpowered consoles using dumbed down versions of already midrange laptop parts that were 3 years old at the time of console launch, and then wait 2-3 years for it to actually have a good game made for it" thing has to be an unsustainable business model. This bubble has to burst sometime. They absolutely cannot do this shit again next gen.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

I'm enjoying them.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#3 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

@freedomfreak: Me too. I wonder if the people bitching even play the games.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

I feel as if most complaints and general feels for this gen are the effect from the cause of such a long as gen with ps360wii. Last gen lasted many years too long so now we have all these expectations.

AAA devving is now at a all time high, expense wise and man power for some studios, there is no AA or A tier developers any more. It's either massive budget or indie now. Because of this bubble AAA is now a massive risk. It's depressing to think about really.

Lately the only expectation I have for this gen is for devs to at least have the proper amount of time to get their games to respectable levels before they press the damn discs. Too many broken or poorly optimised games this gen under the pressure of the huge budget AAA area.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

While there hasnt been any truly excellent instant classics like Halo or Super Mario 64 this gen. I recall that the N64 launched with two games.

What we lack in quality the games make up for in terms of quantity. I may not like the consoles or the AAA industry all too much but that doesnt change the fact that objectively speaking, there has been plenty of games with high production values coming out.

@misterpmedia Dunno, plenty of mid level budget games out there. One of them even got PCgoty last year.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Tons of great games on both, who cares if they're cross gen or not AAA on MC, still great games

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45331 Posts

Many great games, you just seem to be blinded by nostalgia

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

While there is no ground breaking game so far, there are plenty of great games on all platforms. Yes exclusive scene isn't looking that good so far on Xbox One and PS4 but there are plenty of multiplats out there to play. Witcher 3 recently came out, then you have Alien: Isolation (too long for IGN kids), Bloodborne, Shadow of Mordor, Dragon Age, Shadow Warrior (best FPS in years), Wolfenstein (another great FPS) etc. You'll have Arkham Knight and MGSV in few weeks and later this year Divinity: OS Enhanced Edition (my GOTY 2014... much better than dating simulators).

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

no disrespect, but this comment always makes me cringe.. could it be that nostalgia also means better? Im an 80s kid. And when I say nothing beats the 80s its not nostalgia,its fact. just like with games..Games today are over hyped,over budgeted,and released incomplete. Sure there are some good games out there, but even when compared to just last gen, so far its falling flat. This is the 1st gen ive not bought in to in my life. I probably wont buy until the next gen comes out. So far everyone is focused on HD remakes and very little new ips worth buying in to..This is all my opinion. WIll everyone agree? Im sure not and im sure i'll get plenty of snide comments..

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

I lost interest when "half a grand" was in the OP.

£500? LAWLZ.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Thanks for the reminder bro, I completely forgot.

lol

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

The gen seems fine to me. There are less exclusives sure, but more high rated multi plats

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I honestly wonder how much of this "8th gen is sucking" sentiment is coming from XBox fanboys who are just salty because they are on the sidelines for a gen. Lems got so used to being, at the very least relevant, for the better part of 8 years. Now they just have to shit on everyone's parade because the alternative is to take their ball and go home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

I honestly wonder how much of this "8th gen is sucking" sentiment is coming from XBox fanboys who are just salty because they are on the sidelines for a gen.

I wonder if you ever get tired of being such a cow

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I've been using my PS4 a lot, and this is coming from someone who has a high end PC.

It's my xbox one which hasn't seen much use at all.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shewgenja

I mean, let's not lie about what this thread is actually about. That's all I'm saying.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56290 Posts

I have no problems from both my Xbox One and PS4 so I'm enjoying them. Also my Wii U.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50620 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

He used meta critic as his source. How is that nostalgia?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shewgenja

@Chutebox said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

He used meta critic as his source. How is that nostalgia?

Objectively speaking, reviewing criteria tends to be more stringent with time. For example, imagine what Axiom Verge would have been scored if it came out during the SNES generation? It probably would have been a GotY contender.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StrongDeadlift

@Shewgenja:

So you're thouroghly quenched this gen 2 years in with just Bloodborne, and.....umm......errr......absolutely nothing else but cross gen multiplats, remasters, underwhelming more-of-the-same flops (infamous, driveclub, the order, killzone, etc), and not a single game that couldnt've been done in 2011 or that would even convince you you werent playing a PS3 (other than resolution) if you didnt already know?

Both MS and Sony said that this gen will not last as long as the last, without replacements. That means new consoles around 2018ish. This gen is almost half over, and 3 years in, you'll get Uncharted 4. One game that will be worth it. The Last Of Us 2 by the end of it. Two whole games. You're deluding yourself if you think there is going to be some magical "turning point" where developers "learn" the PS4/XB1 ala The Cell and things look any different than they do right now, outside of the star players on each side like Naughty Dog, 343i, and Rockstar and such.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

@Maroxad said:

While there hasnt been any truly excellent instant classics like Halo or Super Mario 64 this gen. I recall that the N64 launched with two games.

What we lack in quality the games make up for in terms of quantity. I may not like the consoles or the AAA industry all too much but that doesnt change the fact that objectively speaking, there has been plenty of games with high production values coming out.

@misterpmedia Dunno, plenty of mid level budget games out there. One of them even got PCgoty last year.

Not to the same extent previous gens offered. There's a reason a tonne of studios have gone under as time has gone on.

Northernboxer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Northernboxer
Member since 2004 • 1723 Posts

First gen that I haven't bought a console since the Sega master system. Couldn't be more disappointed. I don't know how anyone can defend or justify their purchase.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I enjoy playing the game, you enjoy playing the forum

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

They're a fking joke but we have no choice but to deal with it. I would gladly pay $500 per console if it felt next gen like 360/ps3 did back when they launched.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shewgenja

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Shewgenja:

So you're thouroghly quenched this gen 2 years in with just Bloodborne, and.....umm......errr......absolutely nothing else but cross gen multiplats, remasters, underwhelming more-of-the-same flops (infamous, driveclub, the order, killzone, etc), and not a single game that couldnt've been done in 2011 or that would even convince you you werent playing a PS3 (other than resolution) if you didnt already know?

Both MS and Sony said that this gen will not last as long as the last, without replacements. That means new consoles around 2018ish. This gen is almost half over, and 3 years in, you'll get Uncharted 4. One game that will be worth it. The Last Of Us 2 by the end of it. Two whole games. You're deluding yourself if you think there is going to be some magical "turning point" where developers "learn" the PS4/XB1 ala The Cell and things look any different than they do right now, outside of the star players on each side like Naughty Dog, 343i, and Rockstar and such.

LOL, assuming I haven't been enjoying the shit out of:

Bayonetta/2, LittleBigPlanet 3 (0 fucks given about there being a PS3 version to be frank), Diablo III, DragonBall: Xenoverse, Mario Kart 8, Hearthstone, Hyrule Warriors, Divinity: OS, CoD: AW, Mortal Kombat X, Super Mario Bros U, Titanfall (for about a week or two, twas fun), Infamous (flop it all you want, twat, it was a good game), Shadow of Mordor, Super Mario 3d World,Total war: Atilla, Captain Toad, Pikmin 3, Project Cars, FFXIV, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Pillars of Eternity, Wolfenstein: NO, Wonderful 101...

Dude, if you haven't been enjoying Gen8, maybe gaming isn't for you. The sad part is this shit has only got started, but here you are, shitting all over the place weeks before E3. Am I quenched? No. That's not really the point, though, is it? I won't sit here and list off the little downloadable games that have brought me shit-tons of joy this gen because it's obvious you're the entitled gamer who sits there looking at reviews and metascores more than you do playing games and that is why you are crying on System Wars like a little bitch. That, or you are sitting on the sidelines with an XBone only so you're watching this gen fly past you like a girl you thought was maybe hot but she was on a bullet train speeding past you.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

I have not bought a p Xbox one game since December and I agree the lack of games is hurting next gen the messed up thing is there's some games that should have been on Xbox one and ps4 and wiiu

That aren't

Such examples include nascar 14

Nascar 15

Wwe 2k14

Anything that was new in 2014 and 2015 belongs on this list so feel free to add any last gen exclusive which had no reason to not be on new consoles

The wiiu also seams to be the only system receiving quality first party support!

And it makes me furious that nascar 15 still has not been made for Xbox one wiiu ps4 also third party need to quit whining about making games for all three systems there's little to no excuse for any of at least the games that sell a lot not to be on wiiu just BC that version sells less BC they would still make money off the game in general

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shewgenja

Almost without fail, every person who says that Generation 8 has been a disappointment has been an XBone owner. Not even WiiU owners are as let down as a fanbase. The dots are too easy to connect. Spoiler Alert: Generation 8 has been fucking awesome!

Loading Video...

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Shewgenja

@FastRobby said:
@Shewgenja said:

I honestly wonder how much of this "8th gen is sucking" sentiment is coming from XBox fanboys who are just salty because they are on the sidelines for a gen.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Generation rocking too hard. Crusty much?

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I'm enjoying them.

Low standards.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

i have yet to get a ps4 or a xbox so im cool.maybe the gen will last 10 years because making good games takes more time now

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By freedomfreak

@Jankarcop: Post pics of your PC, Jank et alts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@FastRobby said:
@Shewgenja said:

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of Generation rocking too hard. Crusty much?

I'm loving my Xbox One so it's not working what you are trying, but keep on hyping those 5/10 games ;)

Avatar image for snapcracklenpop
snapcrackleNpop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 snapcrackleNpop
Member since 2015 • 274 Posts

this forum is lost then ... as the gamers here need opinion scores to play games

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

@Jankarcop: Post pics of your PC, Jank et alts.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak

@Jankarcop: Looks alright.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@FastRobby: I'm enjoying my xbox one too. Much more than my PS4. Moogenga is one of the worst cows here. He hates on a system he doesn't even own, and acts like the ps4 is amazing. Lol it's not.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shewgenja

@primorandomguy said:

@FastRobby: I'm enjoying my xbox one too. Much more than my PS4. Moogenga is one of the worst cows here. He hates on a system he doesn't even own, and acts like the ps4 is amazing. Lol it's not.

Actually, my stance has been objectively that the WiiU is best for original exclusives, PC for graphics and KB/M controls for games that are best with that control scheme, and PS4 is the mop-up console with the brightest future.

But, I get it. I torpedo the XBone and freely admit I love doing so which makes me a Cow. Whatevs. I don't even care any more. Call me whatever you like, but don't paint my position as something it's not.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

@Shewgenja: The PS4 has no future. Well not a very bright one anyway.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StrongDeadlift

@Shewgenja said:

Almost without fail, every person who says that Generation 8 has been a disappointment has been an XBone owner. Not even WiiU owners are as let down as a fanbase. The dots are too easy to connect. Spoiler Alert: Generation 8 has been fucking awesome!

Lol, I don't own an Xbox One, and I DO own a PS4 with about 20 retail games, and dozens of digital games that would take too long to count. I have also never even SEEN/held an Xbox One in real life that wasnt in a store kiosk.

Next.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shewgenja

@StrongDeadlift said:
@Shewgenja said:

Lol, I don't own an Xbox One, and I DO own a PS4 with about 20 retail games, and dozens of digital games that would take too long to count.

Next.

Fair enough. I just saw how you were going on and on about PS4 controllers "melting" and how good it would be if they had batteries and even going so far as to say they might as well be corded and thought you were full of shit. Turns out, you are fairly legit and I even like a few of the posts in your history. So, gamer to gamer, get a second controller to be charged up on standby. It will be cheaper than buying batteries for an XBox controller. Consider it friendly advice.

..and no, it would be sad if Kojima went to MS exclusively. That would be a massive middle-finger to his fanbase in pursuit of a paycheck.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#41 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@VanDammFan said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

no disrespect, but this comment always makes me cringe.. could it be that nostalgia also means better? Im an 80s kid. And when I say nothing beats the 80s its not nostalgia,its fact. just like with games..Games today are over hyped,over budgeted,and released incomplete. Sure there are some good games out there, but even when compared to just last gen, so far its falling flat. This is the 1st gen ive not bought in to in my life. I probably wont buy until the next gen comes out. So far everyone is focused on HD remakes and very little new ips worth buying in to..This is all my opinion. WIll everyone agree? Im sure not and im sure i'll get plenty of snide comments..

Great post man.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7336 Posts

Lot of people ripping on this topic, but I'm going to have to agree with it. There will never be a launch lineup as great as the Dreamcast's. Game development takes to much time, money and manpower. Modern AAA developers need to employ around 500 people, which is probably more than every developer of every DC launch title combined. They just don't make Powerstones anymore. Man, posting this makes me feel old, but I'm going to do it anyway.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#43 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Would I appreciate more games on consoles? Sure. Am I happy with what is available so far? Yes.

I've been having fun this gen. If this keeps up though, it certainly won't live up to the amazingness of the previous two generations.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Wii U has been excellent for me. Gen 8 has been packed full of wonderful exclusives and some entertaining stuff on PC. I have absolutely zero complaints about my gen 8 so far. Its a shame that others didn't get to enjoy the best console this generation because they swallowed the hype and begged for more.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

The big issue is that this gen really has no flagship, game-changing titles. Last gen it was stuff like Oblivion and Gears of War in 2006 that revolutionized genres. Before that it was stuff like Halo, and Mario 64 before that.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

Name one decade that was almost exactly like the last..... there's your answer. Things are just changing. Some apects that were good back then are bad and vice versa

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Yeah it's been kind of boring.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't know, I've been greatly enjoying the Wii U, and it allegedly doesn't have games. I'm sure the PS4 and Xbone are fine...

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Disappointing in some aspects, good in others. Mostly disappointing, I still prefer my PC as always. But they have their gems that make them worthwhile just like any other platform.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

I'm enjoying them.

Because you are a peasant.