leixiang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 leixiang
Member since 2020 • 2 Posts

I'm so glad I pre-ordered my Xbox Series X because it apparently means I only have to wait almost an extra week after release date to be able to play it.

The concept of pre-order has changed so much since it began. It was initially a way for companies to gauge the potential demand for their products and adjust accordingly. And where are we now? Microsoft allowed the pre-order of the Series X and Series S, but not to gauge any demand. They initiated an anxiety-ridden frenzy where most of the people who truly want the consoles didn't get a chance to pre-order. And with no units available at retailers on launch date, only those few lucky ones who pre-ordered get to have the console on launch. Well, and of course the social media gamers who have the influence to be sent free consoles. But I got mine. I spent hours over multiple days hitting refresh on several websites, ultimately finally getting my console pre-ordered through Best Buy. I have to admit, it felt good. I can't explain the relief in knowing I was going to have my new Series X console on launch date.

So why am I frustrated? Release date for the Xbox Series X was 11/10/2020. Microsoft knows that date, because they set it. Best Buy knows that date because they had to know when they could sell it. And yet, even though I ordered my unit in September, my tracking from Best Buy and UPS says I won't have my Xbox Series X console until Monday, 11/16. How can that be? Everyone knew the release date, my shipping information was listed on my Best Buy account months ago. Somehow they still failed to ship it to me in time. Microsoft has even recently stated they don't mind if people who received their consoles early play them before the release date. So who do I blame? Do I blame Microsoft for not getting the product to the retailers early enough to ensure the customers received them on launch? Do I blame Best Buy for not shipping them early enough? How can I know? I don't have the information to pinpoint fault. I have no way of knowing where the blame lies. I do know the concept of pre-ordering consoles is definitely broken. You have high demand with low supply, you force your customers to go through an excruciating process to try and obtain pre-orders for the product, and then they have no guarantee to actually receive that product anywhere near the date they are supposed to. And none of that addresses the issue of scalpers who pre-order just to try and sell them for massive profit. All I know right now is that I spent over $1,000 dollars on pre-orders, between the console, extra controller, three games, expanded memory card, and a charging station. That money was taken from my account at various times over the past month, with the expectation that I would be playing those games yesterday. Instead, I hope to be playing them five days from now. This is incredibly frustrating.

And yet, this will not change. Too many people want the product. Are we going to boycott and refuse to pre-order? Not a chance that would happen. And so, the companies will keep doing as they wish. The scalpers will keep gouging the people who can't wait. What will I do to appease my frustration? I will write this pointless letter that no one is likely to see and won't make a difference if they do. All I can truly hope is that anyone who does see this and feels the same way knows they aren't alone. And this is definitely the last time I pre-order a console from Best Buy.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I don't get the complaints, i mean its bound to happen to a lot of people. I'm going to wait until next year to get one. That way and failures/system bugs will be fixed by then.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Cool story bro, next time just pick it up...