Will my Xbox be able to detect the internet signal if the modem is in the basement

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 357mag
Member since 2003 • 449 Posts

I'm thinking of moving in with my brother in his house. My broadband cable modem would be placed in the basement next to my computer. My TV with my Xbox will be upstairs 2 floors away from the modem.

My question is will my Xbox which as I said will be on the top floor be able to detect my internet signal from my modem which will be in the basement?

You can't use an Xbox without an internet connection as far as I know.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

You mean the wireless router? If you can connect upstairs with your phone, chances are you can connect with the Xbox. If not you could get a wireless repeater.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

You can't use an Xbox without an internet connection as far as I know.

With the console set to home and then set to 'offline' you can use it. Digital downloads will also still work. If it's a Series S|X and you want to play an Xbox One game from a disc install for the first time you need to connect to Live to complete the installation.

If your phone can connect then then Xbox will. Test the signal strength in the room. And if it's bad buy a repeater.

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 357mag

So if I want to install a new game the console would need to detect an internet connection in order to install? The only phone I will have will be plugged into the router downstairs. I plug my phone into the back of the router which will be downstairs.

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 357mag

What do you mean with the console set to home?

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 357mag

I don't know if my modem is wireless. There is an ethernet cord that goes from the back of my computer into a port on the back of the router or modem. Then there is a coaxial cable wire that plugs into the back of it also.

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 357mag

And I don't have a cell phone.

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 357mag

What is a wireless repeater? Would that allow my upstairs Xbox to pick up the Wifi signal coming out of my modem in the basement so my Xbox would be connected to the internet?

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 357mag

I just heard of a Range Extender that supposedly works with cable modems too.

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bond007uk

All modern modems will be wireless. Wireless repeaters and boosters are the same thing. They pick up the wireless signal from the main router and repeat it again, effectively doubling the signal strength. Ideally the repeater should be placed someplace int he middle of the property, so that all the rooms are covered.

I've only had limited experience with these things. I'm British and our houses are at lot smaller than U.S homes (I'm assuming you're from the U.S?) and basement's are extremely rare here. so I would say repeaters are not commonly used in our homes.

As long as the repeater/extender is placed in a good area free of interference then it should boost the signal yes. When the booster is set up, two wireless signals will now show when you search for a connection. One will be the main router and the other one would be the repeater.

The internet connection connection for completing installation of games only applies to the Series X when installing Xbox One titles. Xbox One consoles do not need a connection to play offline games.

357mag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 357mag

@Bond007uk:

Yeah but I think when you turn your Xbox on you have to sign in and it always asks or tells you about a connection to Xbox Live doesn't it? So don't you need an internet connection even to sign in to your Xbox?

Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bond007uk

@357mag said:

@Bond007uk:

Yeah but I think when you turn your Xbox on you have to sign in and it always asks or tells you about a connection to Xbox Live doesn't it? So don't you need an internet connection even to sign in to your Xbox?

No. It can be played completely offline. You don't need an internet connection.

Sergio_Pires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Sergio_Pires
Member since 2022 • 39 Posts

Your connection will be better the closer you are to the modem and with the least amount of obstruction. I've seen issues with wireless connections over multiple floors. Things seem to get dodgy after the first floor.

If possible, I would strongly recommend getting a wire down to the Xbox or at least onto the same floor where a less obstructed wireless connection can be made.