Xbox 360 worst hardware console of all time?

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

I have a love/ hate relationship with this system but ultimately I have to admit that hardware wise this has got to be one of the most poorly constructed console of all time. My 360 isn't reading discs and I even bought one of those DVD disc cleaner but since it can't even read discs in the first place that disc cleaner is essentially just paper weight at this point.

In comparison I have an original Xbox system I bought day 1 LAUNCH DAY that still works fine without any issues or problems. With the 360 I've lost 2 consoles due to red rings and this is the 3rd I've now lost due to not reading discs.

Laughably I had a chat with my sister yesterday because she bought a new 360 console a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I asked her why and she said......................... her xbox 360 isn't reading discs and I revealed to her mine as well.

I mean Microsoft should be forever ashamed of themselves building a fine a console but doing it dirty with poor design. Trying to call xbox customer service felt like playing one of those old adventure games like Mist or Riven, had this dumb automated lady on the phone.

And while it's not relatively super expensive to buy a used 360 that's still an additional $60 (what gamestop is currently charging) that I have to pay that I shouldn't be. With a console like this that is known to have a high failure rate I don't know that I can feel comfortable buying from just a regular person on ebay or amazon (although I guess they do offer returns and stuff) *BIG SIGH*

Rant........Ended

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 osan0  Online
Member since 2004 • 17851 Posts

it was poorly built and tested.

on paper it was a really well designed and thought out console. the CPU and GPU design, the unified memory setup, the overall architecture was great.

but they pinched pennies wherever they could on the BOM and construction. especially with the first model.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

lets pretend Sony consoles don't fail either.

demon-returns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 demon-returns
Member since 2007 • 1451 Posts

@xhawk27: crazy to think that it's 2019 and fanboy's panties can still get bunched up when someone is having a complaint about a personal matter just because your console of preference is being talked about negatively.

Did you give me money to buy my 360? No? well I can complain about it all I want without having to mention the anything about Sony

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I still have 3 working 360's in my house. Haven't had a problem with any of mine since 2008 or so.

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#6 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

It definitely had a rough start, but I feel like the later waves were fine.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I enjoy the Xbox brand. I have 3 Xbox 360's consoles an original design Xbox 360 phat, Xbox 360 S console Gears of war edition. Xbox 360 E console.

Before that I when thought 2 original design Xbox 360 phats Which died. My current Xbox 360 phat is from the last production run before the Xbox 360 slim took over the market. While the Xbox 360 superslim is for When the other 2 eventually die.

Xbox 360 was rushed out to market to beat the Fabled Playstation 3. So yes the Xbox 360 is the worst reliable hardware ever. Microsoft took a finance bath to repair and replace the consoles with RRod.

But since Microsoft is too big to fail. Here we are awaiting Xbox Scarlet in November 2020

But Xbox 360 phat is the worst hardware fail rate out of the gate.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Only started getting better from Jasper forward. They just cut corners and must of been super dumb thinking that a tiny heatsink without a fan on it would actually work well.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Ive had my Xbox 360 since 2012 and it still works. Though it was the first black model Xbox 360.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9411 Posts

PS3 and X360 both had a ton of hardware failures. It was a bad time for console hardware.

I know the fat PS3s had a lot fo trouble with cooling. I had one fail.

I don't like the design perspective of 'make it small and cheap out on the cooling'. Seems like a recurring theme in console hardware design.

Personally I can't wait until we ditch the disc drive as well. Cut out as many moving parts as possible because those are usually what fails first. Fans should be the only moving parts and pls don't cheap out on the cooling. Nothing worse than a screaming loud console with the fans at max speed and the disc drive chirping.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Why wouldn’t you just play your 360 games on an Xbox One?

Shantmaster_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#13 Shantmaster_K
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts

I think both 360 and PS3 had a rough start. 360 had the red ring and failing hardware and PS3 had overheating problems.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9832 Posts

Mine still works fine....and it was a rare launch console that didn't rrod. My daughter uses it for Minecraft nowadays.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

360 got a rough start because they were using a new type of solder to comply with California regulations, well the solder didn't hold and alot of systems got RROD, Microsoft spent $1billion+ dollars giving people free replacements.

After that initial start tho, all the later models of Xbox360 were solid.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wolfpup7
Member since 2004 • 1937 Posts

@demon-returns said:

I have a love/ hate relationship with this system but ultimately I have to admit that hardware wise this has got to be one of the most poorly constructed console of all time. My 360 isn't reading discs and I even bought one of those DVD disc cleaner but since it can't even read discs in the first place that disc cleaner is essentially just paper weight at this point.

In comparison I have an original Xbox system I bought day 1 LAUNCH DAY that still works fine without any issues or problems. With the 360 I've lost 2 consoles due to red rings and this is the 3rd I've now lost due to not reading discs.

Laughably I had a chat with my sister yesterday because she bought a new 360 console a few weeks ago and out of curiosity I asked her why and she said......................... her xbox 360 isn't reading discs and I revealed to her mine as well.

I mean Microsoft should be forever ashamed of themselves building a fine a console but doing it dirty with poor design. Trying to call xbox customer service felt like playing one of those old adventure games like Mist or Riven, had this dumb automated lady on the phone.

And while it's not relatively super expensive to buy a used 360 that's still an additional $60 (what gamestop is currently charging) that I have to pay that I shouldn't be. With a console like this that is known to have a high failure rate I don't know that I can feel comfortable buying from just a regular person on ebay or amazon (although I guess they do offer returns and stuff) *BIG SIGH*

Rant........Ended

IMO it’s the second best design after the Xbox One.

reliability sucked at first, though not entirely their fault, and tons if not all other 90/65nm non-Intel stuff died.

once it finally hit 45nm it’s been great in my experience, and the hardware and controller designs are way, way better than ps3 overall.

Ive never had a drive die on an xbox, but my first Wii’s did, and it got vastly less use than my Xbox ever did.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wolfpup7
@Shantmaster_K said:

I think both 360 and PS3 had a rough start. 360 had the red ring and failing hardware and PS3 had overheating problems.

As far as I know, most if not all 90 and 65nm high end parts except Intel died. It wasn’t really just the Xbox 360 as is sort of the myth. The ps3 wasn’t great either, and countless laptops had recalls with GPUs on those processes. I had a 65nm notebook that died in under 2 years, same type of deal.

My Wii died too, but from the optical drive, and I assume the cpu/GPU were more reliable solely because they were barely pushing that die process, in either size or clocks, since it was just a gamecube again.

wolfpup7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wolfpup7

@Megavideogamer: PS3 was really garbage out of the gate too though. 90 and 65nm processes were junk IMO, plus the 360 is too loud until they let you install games, and the first two ps3 models were too loud regardless.

I kind of feel like that generation in a certain sense didn’t start until years later. 2009 I guess, when the 45nm revisions hit. (Although maybe the 360 revision immediately prior to that was okay too? I'm Not sure)

I do appreciate that the 2013 launch Xbox One is both reliable, and QUIET. (Not as quiet as the X, but VASTLY better than Dreamcast, launch PS3l launch PS4, and PS4 Pro....like useable)

PartyUpLive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PartyUpLive
Member since 2016 • 37 Posts

I had the first Xbox 360 and got the RROD but I bought it from Costco and got my money back even though it was a couple of years after I bought it.

I had the Slim but I HATED the touch power button or whatever its called. That eventually broke and I got the E model and it's my favorite one. I still play it today and I've had it for about 3 and a half years now. I only use it for games that aren't backwards compatible with my XB1X. And I use it to play OG Xbox games even though I have a OG Xbox that's modded, I keep it stored until I'm ready to play a game that's not playable on the 360.

Also, I do occasionally clean out my systems when I clean my PC and I keep them covered from dust when I'm not using them.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 437 Posts

I had a used original Xbox 360 and the disk drive failed on it, though I just kept it around since I had some downloaded games on it. Then in 2013 I bought an Xbox 360 slim and that one has kept me going quite well.

Not all 360 games work on the one though, half of my Xbox 360 games don't. A lopt of the major exclusives do, but not all.

Kynareth5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#21  Edited By Kynareth5
Member since 2008 • 113 Posts

Even though the X360 had red rings of death - very serious problem, I still consider the One as the worst Xbox ever. Why? Mainly because it completely failed to deliver enough of a generational jump. 720p or 792p 8th generation games? What year is this? 20-25 fps? WTF! Halo 5 Guardians doesn't look good enough for an 8th generation game (because of 60fps but 60fps should be a standard). Exceptionally weak hardware, forcing Kinect 2, trying to make gamers unable to share games, not enough RPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e58917563ba3
deactivated-5e58917563ba3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5e58917563ba3
Member since 2020 • 82 Posts

I have a Jasper and it's still working since 2008.

slvrraven9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 slvrraven9
Member since 2004 • 9278 Posts

went through 3. So I would say yes, however it was definitely the "better" of the 2 consoles software wise last gen

Rewnami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rewnami
Member since 2020 • 17 Posts

I actually never had issues with either 360 I owned.

I got my first Pro console in late 2008, I was told by people at the time this was shortly after internal improvements had been made to the 360. I upgraded the HDD to an Elite HDD, so I was probably one of the few people that had a white 360 with the higher capacity storage. I went through a lot with that one, bought a lot of doo-dads for it - like the wireless adapter. Had that console until I guess mid 2010? Thinking back now I guess that wasn't a long time lol.

In 2011 I got the revised 360 with the built-in wireless and the kinect. Again, never had any issues with it. I can't remember how long I owned that one. Maybe until 2014 or so?

Actually just thinking about the 360 makes me miss some things about that era. I just started messing around on Toy Soldiers again the other day! lol. I'll probably fire that up again in a little. Been thinking about playing through the Costume Quests again too. But there's so much you just can't get back to from a decade ago.

I do think the 360 controller looks horrible nowadays (is That really what I was using??), and the plastic they used really discolored on a lot of systems.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

The launch 360's were unreliable mine broke after a year but my 2nd I brought was the red resident evil 5 special edition that still works to this day.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#26 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

I remember when I got an Xbox 360 in 2008, we had the disc read error like a year afterwards. My brother was the only person who played the system so I guess the laser just went out. Had it fixed by Microsoft but eventually my brother ended up getting an Xbox 360 Slim a few years later. I myself got a Xbox 360 Slim and never had problems with the system with Batman Arkham City packed in with the system.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 robert_sparkes

Not only did 2 360 consoles break but my HD corrupted and was useless it really was a horribly put together system.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

2080ti most Fraud graphic card

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@gtx021: that has ZERO to do with this thread. You need to hang up your SW hat outside of that forum

NukleaWorfair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#31 NukleaWorfair
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts

Xbox 360 worst hardware console of all time?

Absolutely and it's not even close.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#32 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Never had problems with any Xbox 360. From my Arcade to the Slim, all worked without any issues. It could've been better built and tested but it did well enough, IMO.

Sergio_Pires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sergio_Pires
Member since 2022 • 39 Posts

The launch of the 360 was laughably bad. I've had two Xbox 360s fail on me but MS has been pretty good about swapping them out. Thereafter, I've had no issues.

In terms of quality, the revised 360 is pretty solid and works without any issue even to this day (or at least two days ago when I tried it).

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 robert_sparkes

Strangely enough I only had to own 2 360's my resident evil 5 special edition is still going strong. I know people who owned 3-4 so the launch 360 has to go down as one of the worst.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

I had 2 red ring situations with 2 of the older white models.

However the second one that broke I upgraded with the 360 slim model. The slim model is a beast. 0 issues with this model. The first 360 design had alot of issues. Was still my favorite home console that gen.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16579 Posts

well, the 360 was bad, no doubt about it. I had one fail multiple times, but the thing that impressed me was how many times MS kept sending me back replacements. Even though the replacements were also crap, it left a really good impression on me. And yes I get they were sued and stuff, but they still took responsibility. The number of times I sent back the console, the shipping cost to them, they could have just sent me a brand new console and called it a day. But the RROD issue was so widepsread even in their brand new consoles.

Eventually when the jasper version xbox 360 released, I ended up just buying that brand new and the problem went away. Jasper was rock solid. The ps3 also had issues that gen, since mine also bricked at one point from an update. It was the ps3 slim version too, which you would expect to be better built.

After that disaster of a gen, it feels like MS learned their lesson and build extremely solid consoles. Heck, they left a bunch of performance on the table for the xbox series x, and refused to even overclock their gpu. Sony decided to overclock their gpu in the ps5 from the stock clock by 300mhz. I'm not sure thats such a good idea.

Sergio_Pires

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Sergio_Pires
Member since 2022 • 39 Posts

@blaznwiipspman1: Yes, MS did make it easy to swap out the 360's that failed. After getting the third one (returned two), I eventually either gave or sold it to someone else so that I could buy the Elite model. I still have that though the one I use, when not on my XBO, is that of the Halo Edition. My XBO is also the Halo version of the console so I'm trying to get the same for the Series X but supply has been an issue.

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

It does have the biggest failure percentage of all consoles.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 robert_sparkes

People say it's the worst but I only I had one die on me my resident evil 5 elite is still going strong. I had one PS3 launch model die on me about 3 years in.

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 410 Posts

I got my 360 in late 2008, it was a pro model. This was about the time when the original chip or whatever was replaced by the newer one. I never had any problems and never experienced the RRoD.

A few years later I got the model that included the Kinect and the internal wireless Internet, and by that point the kinks were definitely worked out.

It's funny how amazing the 360 controller once was, but how childish it looks to me now in comparison to the One/Series controller.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Four (!) dead Xbox 360s, two dead PS3s for me... yeah the 7th gen was despicable in that department. Goddamm rushed to market shite.