Game of Thrones Season 8 Final discussion thread! (Spoilers discussion included)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56186 Posts

I'm more surprise their is no thread discussing GoT the final season has aired and no one isn't talking about it? Well here it is OT, let's discuss, what's your favorite episodes, seasons, everything because this is it! Season 8 final starts now!

HBO going out with a bang and if you don't have HBO app, I just found out that you can stream live on Amazon so that's a nice bonus.

Now I will admit, I wasn't a fan of this series from the very beginning, the first season didn't click into me, I gave up all the way until season 5 and my friends recommend me to keep going and so here I am, loving this series only because it got better after each seasons. I miss the world premier yesterday but will start watching Season 8 episode 1 tonight after work.

For those who haven't caught up with the series, here's a recap GoT Seasons 1-7:

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I enjoyed the first episode of season 8. it was relatively short but it felt like a nice appetiser for things to come, and the scene with John and Sam at the end definitely hints at some intriguing developments to come.

as for the other stuff, I got into the show pretty early, a few episodes into season 1. I didn't love it right away but within a few eps it clicked and i've been hooked ever since. my favorite season is probably season 4.

if it sticks the landing it'll be up there with The Wire as my favorite show of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

I enjoyed the first episode of season 8. it was relatively short but it felt like a nice appetiser for things to come

my favorite season is probably season 4.

I have to agree. I also really liked season 6, I think it and 4 are kind of tied for me. I got into GoT...I think while season 6 was airing, actually. I've felt like I enjoyed the even-numbered seasons more than the odd-numbered seasons for much of the show. So, I'm hoping this season will go out on a high note.

Admittedly the Bronn scene was my favorite one in this latest episode. But I also like the creepy interaction Bran is having with everybody. The Arya/Jon scene was nice, but it's unfortunate that she has pretty much chosen Sansa over Jon. I felt like the premiere could have easily been two hours long and given all of the characters more scenes, it's kind of a shame they aren't giving us a super-length finale, either. But I guess it was a good enough start to the season.

Melisandre, Brienne and the Night King were all notably absent from this episode. I am still really curious what Melisandre and Varys know about the world from last season's premiere. It's been two years since season 7 now, right?

I also learned that no matter how obvious it should be by now, whenever the group comes across the body of someone killed by the Wight Walkers I am still not expecting to see it move and try to attack them right away.

EDIT: Actually, maybe my favorite scene was when Varys, Davos and Tyrion were talking about Jon and Dany.

MosquitoBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MosquitoBaby
Member since 2019 • 74 Posts

Really shocked the biggest TV show of all time has a pretty dead thread. It's a bit surprising.

Anyhow, this episode 2 was sad as hell. Most of the characters are saying their goodbyes. The next episode will be heartbreaking.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaVillain  Moderator

Episode 2 was really disappointing :(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127512 Posts

The reunion between Arya and The Hound was a disappointment.

MosquitoBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MosquitoBaby

@davillain- said:

I loved it. Its the calm before the storm, characters cherishing their final moments alive. It might not seem like a strong episode, but in hindsight it'll be the one that sets up the most emotional parts of the whole series. Episode 3 looks like its going to be crazy, plus they added 25 minutes...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DaVillain  Moderator
@mosquitobaby said:
@davillain- said:

I loved it. Its the calm before the storm, characters cherishing their final moments alive. It might not seem like a strong episode, but in hindsight it'll be the one that sets up the most emotional parts of the whole series. Episode 3 looks like its going to be crazy, plus they added 25 minutes...

Errr I kinda expected more but I'll get over it.

It's a weird dilemma we're in. On the one hand, defeating the NK here and now along with the WW threat in the very next episode is going to cause major problems for how much this was built up. But on the other hand, if the NK wins, then they have that many more soldiers in tow now for the inevitable rematch in King's Landing. This could cause issues considering we only have 3 episodes left after the next one.

My hope is that, even if Bran dies next episode, he does something to at least cut the NK off from the rest of the wights through some insane reverse-warg feat with the weirwood trees. Or at least prevents him from making more wights with all of the people in Winterfell (essentially most of the entire North). This way, even if the actual NK and WWs win, they won't be nearly as daunting a threat as they were with an infinitely regrowing army of dead zombies.

MosquitoBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MosquitoBaby

@davillain- said:
@mosquitobaby said:
@davillain- said:

Errr I kinda expected more but I'll get over it.

It's a weird dilemma we're in. On the one hand, defeating the NK here and now along with the WW threat in the very next episode is going to cause major problems for how much this was built up. But on the other hand, if the NK wins, then they have that many more soldiers in tow now for the inevitable rematch in King's Landing. This could cause issues considering we only have 3 episodes left after the next one.

My hope is that, even if Bran dies next episode, he does something to at least cut the NK off from the rest of the wights through some insane reverse-warg feat with the weirwood trees. Or at least prevents him from making more wights with all of the people in Winterfell (essentially most of the entire North). This way, even if the actual NK and WWs win, they won't be nearly as daunting a threat as they were with an infinitely regrowing army of dead zombies.

Well, I understand if people don't love the episode, I mean there are so little left and very little action, but in my case I like more drama than action. So the character development before they get killed off is worth it. By the way, get ready, the next episode is 100% action and lots of deaths.

I honestly, don't know who will die next episode. I'm trying not to predict because they'll suprise us. I really hope Bran doesn't die though. I love his character this season, he's creepier than the night king, lol.

Also, I'm betting the NK is actually a Targerian. BET ON THAT.

Plaguecrafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Plaguecrafter
Member since 2019 • 34 Posts

@mosquitobaby said:

Imagine it to be true and how Daenerys would be even more pissed off because she'd have even less claim to the Iron Throne.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@mosquitobaby: unlikely the night king is a targerian.

He was one of the first man who the children of the forest were at war with when they turned him.into what he is.

This I beleive was a couple thousend years before the targerians inhabited westeros

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I'm calling it now. Brienne, greyworm, and davos are dead next episode. Also everyone in the crypt is royally screwed.

Should be an interesting episode!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Finally watched episode 2.

It really was the calm before the storm, everyone drinking or having important conversations before the big battle. I actually thought Arya's scene was kind of hot. And I thought it was touching that Sam gave his sword to Jorah, especially since Jorah let Jon keep Longclaw. I hope the little girl down in the crypts survives the fight.

Brienne's scene with the ceremony was unexpected, but warming. It's a bit awkward to see the love triangle playing out between those three characters, since Tormund likes Brienne and Brienne apparently likes Jamie. This episode also showed Tyrion and Sam feeling powerless, and I thought it was interesting how Davos noted several of them had survived many battles, despite some of them having had little combat experience.

Bran is bait now, I'm sure there must be something important about that. Perhaps one of the most powerful scenes in this episode was where the characters likened death to people losing memories and knowledge. And Daenerys seemed pretty angry to learn that Jon is part Targaryen and has even more claim to the throne, I mean, that's definitely not how you'd want your beloved partner to react to some news they should be somewhat proud of.

I wonder if the Reeds will come along during the battle to help Winterfell. And I wonder when and if Melisandre will appear again. But most importantly I wonder where the Night King is right now, because we saw a whole lot of generals but not the leader himself.

82 minutes, a lot is bound to happen in the next episode.

@plaguecrafter said:
@mosquitobaby said:

Imagine it to be true and how Daenerys would be even more pissed off because she'd have even less claim to the Iron Throne.

I remember in the previous episode the showrunners mentioned that only Targaryens can ride dragons, noting that we knew this about Jon before he did because he didn't know he was Aegon yet at that point. To me that suggests the NK was originally Targaryen before being turned, or else was part of some bloodline that was ancestors to the Targaryens. That, or else the rules don't quite apply to a Night Dragon.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Well I turned out to be completely wrong, which is awesome :D. I loved the episode!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50579 Posts

Don't go to yahoo, spoilers on front page.

I loved it but for two things. Sending the riders into the army of the dead made zero sense.

Only other thing I fight like was arya acting like nightcrawler

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I think it was kind of a let down, years and years of hyping the Army of Death, basically wasting the first 2 episodes of the (short) last season to set up this fight and they took care of it in one episode with just a few middle tier characters dying (Jorah and the eye patch guy). Plus Arya saving the day reeks of fan service.

With that said, I'm glad that is over, the zombies (admit it, that basically what they are) is perhaps the weakest of all the "characters" in the whole series.

Lets get on with the business of the Iron Throne.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11122 Posts

So after this ep... who the hell is left to fight Cersei? I mean, miraculously, most of the principals still survived, but they looked like they made short work of everyone else. The dragons are gonna have to put in a lot of work. I thought it was great. The only real complaint I have was that it was FAR too dark (literally) to see, even for a battle that takes place at night.

I'm gonna pour some liquor out for the Mormonts and the Dothraki. They fought bravely. Lyanna turned out to have a lot of heart in a small body. Arya turned out to be the MVP after all. I have a feeling the next episode is going to take a breather. As it should, this was a huge battle.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
  • The Freys
  • NK
  • LF
  • Meryn Trant

And soon to be Cersei. Yeah sure funny how Arya pretty much kills most of the villains. Could even be the possibility of her killing Euron but that will most likely be Yara. And yeah, some of you say Arya kills the Mountain but I'm like 80% sure it will be the Hound. Great episode, but I do wonder if we're still getting some answers in the last few episodes, especially about the mythical side of the story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

I just got done watching it. Wow. Well, I am still not sure what I think, lol.

I actually liked how the threat was resolved. It was clear by mid-episode that everyone was just going to die if someone didn't make a play to take down the NK. But it was dumb that he was obsessed with Bran enough to go in to attack him himself. I actually thought the entire cast was on their way to becoming undead and having the story shift perspective. Now we're basically left with no army and mostly main characters to lead an attack on KL.

I am actually surprised that Cersei would be the main threat of the series. I can't help feeling like there's more going on with that. We do know Cersei had her future foretold as a girl. For all we know maybe the Night King was under Cersei's command, somehow?

And then there's creepy Bran. What was he doing that entire time?

Melisandre just taking off her brooch and succumbing to old age was odd, after the victory.

Three episodes left and a lot of things don't seem real clear. But maybe that's why there's still three more episodes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@BenjaminBanklin: Yup, I thought Cersei's plan was silly but I couldn't have been more wrong. Everything worked out exactly as she wanted it. Staying out of the fight was a big gamble that paid off.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chutebox

@Master_Live: theon too.

And ya, it was too quick.

Read yesterday they didn't want jon to do it because he did everything else.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Chutebox

@davillain-: This show doesn't care about the mythical side. They care about dragons, tits, and blood

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Chutebox: true, Theo too. Sadly I thought there was some chance he would flake again. But he didn't.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I was surprised we learned nothing more about the motivations of The Night King, and we still have no idea what Bran was trying to accomplish by warging the birds or why The Night King wanted Bran dead. I get that Bran is the Three-Eyed Raven, but why should the Night King care? Bran wasn't doing anything with that power for the most part which sucks and I think we can expect him to stay forever boring. Oh well. I was very much on board with the "Bran is the Night King (or at least linked via warging)" theory which can be read about here and really puts a neat little bow on a bunch of things that happened throughout Westerosi history so not only is it a letdown to not get that, but it's also a letdown to get literally nothing in terms of insight on the Night King's motivations. If nothing else I was sure we were going to get something on this front.

That said I really liked what we got, the battle was cool and gave us a ton of scary and satisfying moments. Seeing Arya fight on the walls of the castle was awesome and really showed her skills from her training in Bravos, seeing the dragons fight in the sky was better than I expected it to be (mostly because the dragon CGI hasn't been consistently great), watching the dead rise in the crypts was appropriately scary (did Gilly die? I thought so at one point, but I'm not sure), watching Lyanna Mormont kill the giant was pretty freaking cool, and of course Arya getting the final blow was all sorts of awesome and had me screaming "F*** YEAH" at my tv which scared shit out of my cat.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6953 Posts

Completely mediocre episode. Two year wait for that, lol. Calvary charge...dumbest strategy ever. The whole thing with Bran...laughable...they should have at least had her in disguise. Predictable result in only supporting characters dying. If you believe you can end it by killing the Night King, why bother with the fight at all? Preempt two on one with your dragons and be done with it. Wtf was up with the god of light crap. Oh my, her contribution is turn swords a flame. And light up the trench. Whoppee. And cold does not extinguish flame in the first place. And if you know you cannot hold the ground outside of the castle why bother putting anyone outside at all, ffs? And ooops, after we ran back in we forgot we would need to man the walls. No one relevant dies in the catacombs...why bother then?

Did you feel anything watching that? Zero. There was nothing awesome. Dreadful. Heartbreaking. Nothing. LMAO.

Total weak sauce.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox

@Serraph105: They attempted to explain why he cared about bran in epi 2. He wanted to wipe the world and history of man, and bran holds all the history.

Also, this series further wastes another direwolf if Ghost died. Lame

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox

@SUD123456: melisandre also told arya to kill the night king...theres That! Lol

And ya, that charge was just dumb

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@Chutebox: hmm....I just..I don't know. I guess I want more than that.

Ghost is alive by the way. There's a quick shot of him in the preview for the next episode.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chutebox
@Serraph105 said:

@Chutebox: hmm....I just..I don't know. I guess I want more than that.

Ghost is alive by the way. There's a quick shot of him in the preview for the next episode.

Oh, good. Maybe they actually use him.

And I agree with you, I feel it's pretty lame.

Avatar image for exothermicgamer
ExothermicGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ExothermicGamer
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

Everything that has happened since Jon wakes up just proves the writers of this show are shit at writing.

For two seasons it's basically been "Hey **** the throne we have bigger problems."

Now the Night King is dead it's back to "Oh yeah you remember that whole throne thing we basically ignored for two seasons? Yeah we're back on that again now."

So it will just be three episodes of nothing to finish, where they basically forget all about the Night King and start fighting Cercei instead and then throw someone one the throne at the end to wrap up.

ALSO WHAT HAPPENED TO FUCKING GHOST! AGAIN! It's like they create plot holes on purpose! Idiots sent him out on the front lines and we never saw him again!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chutebox

@exothermicgamer: From the beginning they have seriously misused the direwolves. No budget for them but you have all the money for hour long battles and detailed dragons.

I'm not going to be happy if we get any more fluff episodes like 2...which that episode is even more ridiculous since none of the major characters, besides theon, died

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts
@exothermicgamer said:

Now the Night King is dead it's back to "Oh yeah you remember that whole throne thing we basically ignored for two seasons? Yeah we're back on that again now."

So it will just be three episodes of nothing to finish, where they basically forget all about the Night King and start fighting Cercei instead and then throw someone one the throne at the end to wrap up.

That was basically Snoke from TLJ. So much hype around the NK and he dies... just like that it's all over.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#33 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

probably my least favorite of the major GoT battle episodes. the darkness and blizzard made it chaotic and difficult to follow at times.

characters miraculously surviving when surrounded by impossible numbers of white walkers. charging the dothraki into the mass of White Walkers was idiotic.

still enjoyed parts of it. and i'm OK with the overall outcome of the episode, just some of the moment-to-moment stuff felt a bit ridiculous and very hollywood (I fell in love with this show in part because it subverts hollywood tropes). I felt the same way about one the episodes last season (the one where the squad goes to capture a white walker beyond the wall and get trapped on the frozen lake).

hopefully the remaining episodes feel more grounded

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I was surprised we learned nothing more about the motivations of The Night King, and we still have no idea what Bran was trying to accomplish by warging the birds or why The Night King wanted Bran dead. I get that Bran is the Three-Eyed Raven, but why should the Night King care? Bran wasn't doing anything with that power for the most part which sucks and I think we can expect him to stay forever boring. Oh well. I was very much on board with the "Bran is the Night King (or at least linked via warging)" theory which can be read about here and really puts a neat little bow on a bunch of things that happened throughout Westerosi history so not only is it a letdown to not get that, but it's also a letdown to get literally nothing in terms of insight on the Night King's motivations. If nothing else I was sure we were going to get something on this front.

That said I really liked what we got, the battle was cool and gave us a ton of scary and satisfying moments. Seeing Arya fight on the walls of the castle was awesome and really showed her skills from her training in Bravos, seeing the dragons fight in the sky was better than I expected it to be (mostly because the dragon CGI hasn't been consistently great), watching the dead rise in the crypts was appropriately scary (did Gilly die? I thought so at one point, but I'm not sure), watching Lyanna Mormont kill the giant was pretty freaking cool, and of course Arya getting the final blow was all sorts of awesome and had me screaming "F*** YEAH" at my tv which scared shit out of my cat.

Bolded: This is my biggest let down. I wanted something more on the NK. The characters in the show are complex and have differing motivations, but a voiceless and 'evil' enemy stood out of place. I was certain we were going to get more to be honest.

Other than that though, I'd give the episode a solid B. Some of the scenes showing our main characters surrounded by the undead gave me the impression they had plot armor on. Give me more plausibility that GOT has delivered previously.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
@crimsonbrute said:
@exothermicgamer said:

That was basically Snoke from TLJ. So much hype around the NK and he dies... just like that it's all over.

Nah. Snoke was all BS. NK was the real deal. Took down Viserion raised him from the dead, took out the wall, couldn't be burned by fire, attacked Winterfell and raised the dead in the battle, offed Theon. He really couldn't be taken out by anything but a stealth kill. He was several boss battles all in one.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2040 Posts

Very disappointed how the night king died. I wish there was a battle between jon and the night king

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

The final episode was kind of a letdown. We had 2 episodes setting up the final battle with the dead and it all went down in one episode. For the first time in the series it felt like most of the major characters had plot armor. We saw Jaime, Brienne, Sam literally being buried under surges of attacking undead but they miraculously survived. Same with Davos. It was nice that Melisandre returned for the final battle, knowing that it was her last but in the end the show never delved into her whole Lord of Light preaching. And the biggest letdown was the conclusion to the Night Walker saga, the backdrop of the entire series and one of the two main storylines (the other being the iron throne). The origin of the NK, his ultimate motive, Bran's role, I felt like there should have been a greater focus on those. The NK's death also turned out pretty anticlimactic considering he survived dragonfire unscathed.

However, there were some great moments like Theon, Beric, Lyanna and Jorah's sacrifices, Arya being badass AND a scared little girl, the dragon fighting.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

That's it?!? Was my thought after the 3rd episode. Huge let down, how easily they dealt with the Night King. Arya only stabbed him with the pocket knife when he could stand in dragonfire. How did she even get there? Area was surrounded by enemies. Complete deux ex machina moment. And not the only one of the episode.

Bran using his mystical shit, would've been much better option.

The battle itself didn't make any sense either. Why would you waste your light cavalry on a frontal charge? With no support? And then you act surprised when they got wiped? The Charge of the Light Brigade moment. The Unsullied seems to be the only ones who carry shields and helmets, no wonder they're so revered and hard to beat. Fire arrows and flaming rocks from onagers and trebuchets.. ugh. Sam lying god knows how long in pile of walkers and survives? Every main character was surrounded at one point or another and always survived.

Don't really know which battle scene was worse: this one or the Battle of the Bastards.

Would it really hurt their insane budget to hire someone who's an expert on medieval warfare and let him explain how things work.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Icarian: Even just hire someone who's played Total War lol. They squandered their cavalry, had their artillery out of position and then were surprised when their noob box didn't work.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Thought it was amazing. People who wanted Jon to do a typical hollywood fight with big bad and fulfill the propecy trope must not have been watching since season 1 as to how this show sometimes flips typical fantasy tropes on their heads.

ExothermicGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ExothermicGamer

@BenjaminBanklin: Yeah he was such the "real deal" that they just erased him from the story making everything you listed totally irrelevant to anything.

If anything he is Snoke x10 because the night king had been developed a lot more and he had got the potential and they rendered him irrelevant anyway.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@johnd13: We've always known that they can die to valerian steel. Jon killed one of the major white walkers with valerian steel in an earlier season. Dragonfire was never tested on them so they didn't know if it worked or not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#43  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Shinobi execution!

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
@exothermicgamer said:

@BenjaminBanklin: Yeah he was such the "real deal" that they just erased him from the story making everything you listed totally irrelevant to anything.

If anything he is Snoke x10 because the night king had been developed a lot more and he had got the potential and they rendered him irrelevant anyway.

What else do you want from him? To sit on the iron throne? He wiped out most of their forces, leaving them vulnerable when they take on King's Landing. He had to be dealt with one way or another that wouldn't take forever. Why not with a vessel of the Many-faced god? The series had been hyping them up to be the most lethal people of the show.

ExothermicGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ExothermicGamer

@BenjaminBanklin: YES and that should have been the ENDING of the series. He wipes them out, cripples them, kills all their allies and when the last few remaining heroes have their backs are against the ropes THEN they kill him. Instead he dies in episode 3 and we are now left with absolutely nothing. I mean whatever battle is going to happen with Cercei certainly won't be worth shit all.

Well actually as you mention it the night king sitting on the Iron Throne would have been an interesting ending. Certainly better than Dani who's only stake to the throne is that she has dragons and will just kill you if you don't give it over. She's basically just as bad as every other idiot who wants it.

But that is beyond the writers of this fan fiction. They don't have the spine to carry out such an out of the box ending. Instead they just go for cliches and main characters with plot armour (something George Martin would NEVER EVER do).

This series is pathetic now. The story is absolute dog sh*t and has gaping plot holes at every turn. The only thing it has left is that it is high budget and it has some spectacular battle scenes.

I mean just look at what they did with Littlefinger. Littlefinger's entire character was based on double crossing everyone around him. He ALWAYS had an ulterior motive and there was always some scheme going on. As soon as George's source material stopped Littlefinger's character development stopped. All because the shit writers of the TV show couldn't make it work. They don't know how to make several story arches work at the same time or how to create subtext. It became one linear story and that meant the only outcome was to kill him. Which they did. Removing his character from the show and we were never told what his overall plans were because they were too shit to write a proper ending for him.

Same with Rickon. We can't write a decent story for him so just put an arrow in him instead.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

Concering Episode 3:

Literally stood up when Arya did her thing and went "YES! **** YES!".

She is my favorite character in the show since season 1, and the books (reading those now). She has gone through so much, changed so much. Definitely the most developed character in the show.

• Saw her dad get his head chopped off
  • survived the road trip north when most didn't
  • made it out of captivity and Harrenhal alive (all while being so clever no one knew who she was), which was pretty much a death sentence
  • was made blind, beaten severely and constantly
  • was stabbed many times, survived that
  • made it all the way back to Winterfell
@zaryia said:

Thought it was amazing. People who wanted Jon to do a typical hollywood fight with big bad and fulfill the propecy trope must not have been watching since season 1 as to how this show sometimes flips typical fantasy tropes on their heads.

Yeah I liked the choice. The only criticism with Arya is that she is the underdog, but hey guilty pleasure, because I love underdog themes.

But yeah I was waiting for Jon to be the hero, and don't get me wrong he kicked some major ass, but towards the end he was just like every other person that managed to survive; he was just fighting for his life, trying to stay alive.

People talking like Arya is OP but the truth is anyone that is still alive at this point is OP :P

Concerning Episode 2:

That was a sweet episode. I liked how it was a low simmer, slow even. But it was great seeing them all in the hall around the fire talking about stuff.

Podrick really grew into a serious looking fellow in the past couple years, too, was very surprised to see him kicking ass and taking names after being such a goof (though a well-endowed one, at that).

And Tormund Giantsbane! He might have been the best part of that episode. I love his obsession with Brienne, and that story about suckling on the giant's teet was great!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58368 Posts

@exothermicgamer said:

@BenjaminBanklin: YES and that should have been the ENDING of the series. He wipes them out, cripples them, kills all their allies and when the last few remaining heroes have their backs are against the ropes THEN they kill him. Instead he dies in episode 3 and we are now left with absolutely nothing. I mean whatever battle is going to happen with Cercei certainly won't be worth shit all.

I'm glad the Night King is gone. Cercei is the real evil person in the show. Glad we can get back to planning on whooping her ass.

As for Arya and the many-faced god, it makes sense; you have this Night King who is the pretender to the Death God throne trying to literally kill everyone and erase their history, it's only logical the Many-Faced God would send one of its representatives (Arya) to end the charade.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10465 Posts

absolutely brilliant episode. incredibly shot, edge of the seat pacing, tons of both epic and seemingly improbable moments. fans have a million and one talking points. mission accomplished. they've thrown the expected pace/ plot progression right out the window and it's only half way through the season. remaining three episodes are all ~80 mins each. so much to be explained, so much that could possibly happen. can't wait to see what they've got in store next

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I can't help but feel like the quality of writing has dropped off after the show ran out of source material. Just feels like they want to wrap everything up quickly now.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@mrbojangles25: I don't have a problem with Arya being the one to defeat the Night King. My main gripes are a) we never got the final bit of the White Walker development that was needed to reveal their true nature and motivations aside from "they're evil", b) Bran was significantly underutilized, and c) the way Arya dealt the finishing blow was cheap and anticlimactic. It would have been so much better if Bran had done his three eyed raven magic to weaken and distract the Night King (while at the same time unraveling the mystery surrounding him) so that Arya can employ the best tricks and everything the Faceless Men taught her to finish him off.