mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@sargentd: Man, even you don't believe the current debt is causing a collapsing dollar. If you did, you'd be decry the Trump administration's tax cuts and increased deficits.

As usual, the GOP is just using it as a political cudgel. The act is obscenely transparent after more than 4 decades of it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@sargentd said:
@Planeforger said:
@sargentd said:

No it really wouldn't put a dent in it man.

And I'll say the thing that no politician is allowed to say.

The only way we will ever be able to actually balance the budget... is to cut social security and Medicare.

No politician would ever run on that but it's the truth. It's literally impossible to balance the budget without cutting those 2 things.

Defense is even a way smaller slither of the budget compared to those 2 things.

Ironically if a democrat or republican would ever say that.. actually admit that's the only way, they would never win public office lol but it's the truth.

Of course they wouldn't win public office. It would be idiotic for the USA to cut Medicare and social security. If the USA wants to be considered a first world nation, then those are exactly the sorts of safety nets you'd expect it to provide for its citizens - especially given the terrible state of your healthcare system and the current cost of living crisis.

If your concern is balancing the budget, why not find a better way to tax megacorporations and the various billionaires in your country. That seems like a good starting point.

Math isn't there, tax all the billionaires you want, hell just go full commie and take all money from all the billionaires in America, taxing them wouldn't put a dent in it. You could take all thier wealth. Every dollar. Leave every billionaire in America homeless.

We might be able to cover medicare for one year LOL....

The United States was flourishing when corporate tax was higher so you don't know what you're talking about.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6977 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@silentchief said:
@Maroxad said:

@silentchief: Unlike you, I base my scientific understanding on what the experts in relevant fields have to say. Which is why you are dead wrong about damn near everything, and I am pretty consistent with our best understanding we have as a species (I do of course have a lot to learn).

But regardless, what does any of that have to do with the fact that the Republicans just voted for a climate change denier who blames mass shootings on the teaching of evolution?

I have watched you argue yourself into knots and look like an absolute clown on certain issues.

You're the one that brought up science abd critical thinking skills and the Democrats haven't been any better.

Democrats do SIGNIFICANTLY better on science issues. This is undeniable. No idea why you tried deflecting to the democrats when the topic is about the Speaker of the House (who is now a young earth creationist). It is almost like you know that his anti-science attitude is completely indefensible and you are desperately trying to worm yourself out of it. It isn't working.

Edit: The only areas where democrats might be more anti-science than republicans at this point is in GMOs and Nuclear (and even this seems to be changing, as left wingers are more and more willing to embrace them).

No not all. For all their passion on Climate change most of their solutions have done nothing and in some cases made the issue worse. The Democrats in the meantime keep nominating Democrats who have a 0% chance of winning the position showing as usual they are nothing more then partisan hacks

They struggle with basic biology as well but I'm not taking this into 5 pages of off topic discussion.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts

@sargentd said:

@mattbbpl: let's talk about what's going on now then.

"The US's $33 trillion debt mountain is bound to grow even larger – and policymakers and legislators can't rely on the economy simply growing its way out of its debt problems, according to the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.

The research group, which is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to monitoring and spreading awareness of fiscal issues facing the US, pointed to the ballooning public debt balance, with the US debt-to-GDP ratio hitting 97% at the end of the year.

Debt-to-GDP is expected to notch 98% by the end of 2023, according to projections from the Congressional Budget Office. At that pace, the US is on track to rack up debt equal to 107% of GDP by 2029, the highest debt-to-GDP ratio ever recorded, the foundation said.

The nation's debt-to-GDP ratio hit an all-time-record in the years following World War II, with the public debt amounting to 106% of GDP in 1946. That ratio slumped over the following decades due to a cocktail of amiable market conditions and a post-war economic boom – but there's no way that's happening this time, researchers said.

"Given current projections for large primary deficits, demographic trends, and Federal Reserve policy focusing on controlling inflation, the United States should not be expected to grow out of its debt simply through rapid growth of GDP," researchers said in a note on Wednesday. "As a result, approaching an all-time high for the debt-to-GDP ratio should be a wakeup call for lawmakers, and there are many available policy solutions designed for the current fiscal and economic outlook.

The US can't grow its way out of its $33 trillion debt mountain, research group says

The US can't rely on growth to avoid dealing with its $33 trillion debt mountain, according to researchers.

The government is on track to hit a record-high debt-to-GDP ratio by 2029.

The US's $33 trillion debt mountain is bound to grow even larger – and policymakers and legislators can't rely on the economy simply growing its way out of its debt problems, according to the Peter G. Peterson Foundation.

The research group, which is a nonpartisan organization dedicated to monitoring and spreading awareness of fiscal issues facing the US, pointed to the ballooning public debt balance, with the US debt-to-GDP ratio hitting 97% at the end of the 2022.

Debt-to-GDP is expected to notch 98% by the end of 2023, according to projections from the Congressional Budget Office. At that pace, the US is on track to rack up debt equal to 107% of GDP by 2029, the highest debt-to-GDP ratio ever recorded, the foundation said.

The nation's debt-to-GDP ratio hit an all-time-record in the years following World War II, with the public debt amounting to 106% of GDP in 1946. That ratio slumped over the following decades due to a cocktail of amiable market conditions and a post-war economic boom – but there's no way that's happening this time, researchers said.

"Given current projections for large primary deficits, demographic trends, and Federal Reserve policy focusing on controlling inflation, the United States should not be expected to grow out of its debt simply through rapid growth of GDP," researchers said in a note on Wednesday. "As a result, approaching an all-time high for the debt-to-GDP ratio should be a wakeup call for lawmakers.

The US's World War II debt was largely brought down by primary surpluses in the national budget, as well as the Fed putting a ceiling on Treasury and bond yields, which kept the government's cost of borrowing artificially low. That was supplemented by a boom in economic growth, which boosted US GDP.

Though US GDP is expected to grow an eye-popping 5.4% over the third quarter, the government doesn't on track to reduce its budget deficit anytime soon. Lawmakers have yet to agree on a new budget for the fiscal year, making a shutdown event in 2023 still likely.

Meanwhile, the Fed has warned that interest rates will stay higher-for-longer as it keeps a close eye on inflation. Recently, Fed Chair Powell even said the central bank would let the current volatility in the bond market play out, despite the 10-year US Treasury yield briefly touching 5% this week.

That spells bad news for borrowers — including the US government. Higher rates and bond yields could make US debt servicing costs increasingly unsustainable, experts say, with the interest expense on the national debt potentially rising to a new record by 2025, Goldman Sachs estimated.

Not to mention, the government has a whopping $7.6 trillion of debt that's about to mature over the next year – a sum 31% of the US's total debt balance.

Mounting fears over the US debt means the government could have trouble finding buyers for Treasurys. That could lead to failed Treasury auctions, according to one Columbia Business School professor, wherein the Fed would have to step in to buy US debt securities, a move that could end up fanning inflation further."

tax cuts will fix everything!

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1017 Posts
@sargentd said:
@robertos said:
@sargentd said:

Rather have a speaker that doesn't belive in climate change but is fiscally responsible than one who believes in climate change and that the US dollar can be infinitely printed/spent without consequences.

Nah. Also, now you're just going to have both someone who doesn't believe in climate change (lmao stupid ass GOP) and someone who isn't fiscally responsible (yes, tax cuts for the rich count as that). 🤣

So anyway yeah I don't want my leaders being bat shit insane, again climate denial is several times more dangerous than your subjective complaints.

This Mike guy seems like a total psycho.

Anyone who thinks climate change is more important is a nimrod.

Why one vs the other? Why not both? Mike, like the GOP before him, is probably going to go against both climate change science AND against fiscal responsibility. Double suck.

Forget just important, climate change is very important, going by the significant and vast evidence.

Are you, like Speaker Mike Johnson, against science and reality?

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Robertos
@silentchief said:.

Was it because you spammed outdated or irrelevant links?

Not sure who or what in the you're talking about, while I'm new I highly doubt anyone here has ever been banned for citing studies directly disproving another user's post. That sounds like a weird rule, do you have proof of a moderator enacting it? If so I'll stop doing that.

Anyway the links I gave, especially from MIT, discuss precisely as to what we were talking about and/or what I stated. It's not even remotely off, not even by a bit. Speaker Mike Johnson perfectly represents a clear anti-science trend (as cited) in the GOP, and spinning that on a random liberal poster instead is simply nonsensical (as cited). And an ad-hominem at that.

Would you prefer I not use links and just post quotes from the study and/or author? Let me know and I'll do that in the future if merely posting the links is problematic. I'm perfectly fine with that. Here is one sample,

Gauchat calls this divergence of trust in science “a breakdown of this postwar consensus [about science] along sociopolitical lines.”82 He interprets this breakdown in ideological terms: conservatives turned against science while liberals did not.

Empirical data do not support the conclusion of a crisis of public trust in science.They do support the conclusion of a crisis of conservative trust in science: polls show that American attitudes toward science are highly polarized along political lines.

The Pew study is from 2019 and more importantly the MIT article is from 2022. I'm not sure how out dated this is for what we're discussing.

I hoped the GOP grew past this "outdated" research since it's 2023 now, and would not have selected such an anti-science speaker. Too bad I guess.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Silentchief
@robertos said:

Not sure who or what in the you're talking about, while I'm new I highly doubt anyone here has ever been banned for citing studies directly disproving another user's post. That sounds like a weird rule, do you have proof of a moderator enacting it? If so I'll stop doing that.

Anyway the links I gave, especially from MIT, discuss precisely as to what we were talking about and/or what I stated. It's not even remotely off, not even by a bit. Speaker Mike Johnson perfectly represents a clear anti-science trend (as cited) in the GOP, and spinning that on a random liberal poster instead is simply nonsensical (as cited). And an ad-hominem at that.

Would you prefer I not use links and just post quotes from the study and/or author? Let me know and I'll do that in the future if merely posting the links is problematic. I'm perfectly fine with that. Here is one sample,

Gauchat calls this divergence of trust in science “a breakdown of this postwar consensus [about science] along sociopolitical lines.”82 He interprets this breakdown in ideological terms: conservatives turned against science while liberals did not.

Empirical data do not support the conclusion of a crisis of public trust in science.They do support the conclusion of a crisis of conservative trust in science: polls show that American attitudes toward science are highly polarized along political lines.

The Pew study is from 2019 and more importantly the MIT article is from 2022. I'm not sure how out dated this is for what we're discussing.

I hoped the GOP grew past this "outdated" research since it's 2023 now, and would not have selected such an anti-science speaker. Too bad I guess.

You know exactly what I'm talking about Zaryia and you're not fooling anyone. Why were you banned?

Posting a study one two issues doesn't really disprove anything. The other is a post about funding scientific research. Democrats go all in on unproven research which is partly why we are in the situation we are in now.

Regardless this is absolutely hillarious watching you on your 3rd alt

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3740 Posts

@silentchief said:
@robertos said:

You know exactly what I'm talking about Zaryia and you're not fooling anyone. Why were you banned?

Posting a study one two issues doesn't really disprove anything. The other is a post about funding scientific research. Democrats go all in on unproven research which is partly why we are in the situation we are in now.

Regardless this is absolutely hillarious watching you on your 3rd alt

What does "goes all in on unproven research" mean? Just wondering, because I remember the horse dewormer and fish tank cleaner cures for Covid, "research" claiming that gun safety laws supposedly don't work, "research" about trickle down economics making everyone wealthy, etc, etc.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15581 Posts

@silentchief: Pretty interesting watching a less than 3 year old account with over 5 posts a day made conveniently after the Jan 6 stupid coup cry about alts.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

@Vaasman: Yeah, nobody is falling for Silent's crap at all. Probably the least convincing person on this site.

Of course, I am more concerned about Silent's complete lack of ability to stay on topic. Notice how he is using a thread about the new speaker of the house to bash democrats because... reasons. Pretty much every post he has made in this thread has been an ad hom against other users or a weird deflection to attack the democrats.

Not surprising he is once again, being anti-science. He exemplifies the problem, a distrust of science is why we are in the situation we are in right now. COVID could have been one of the mildest pandemics in history. Yet people threw temper tantrums making it one of the worst. I dread to imagine what is going to happen WHEN Bird Flu breaks the mammal to mammal barrier. And that is inevitable at this point.

Edit: Unlike someone in this thread, if we got a anti-science democrat as the speaker of the house, I am sure most of us on the left would have called that out. Country over party. Being a Young Earth Creationist already implies a worldview completely out of touch with reality, but this new speaker goes further, to actually fearmonger over science education. Blaming tragedies on the teaching of evolution.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#111 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

@Maroxad: You should be grateful he didn't turn this thread into identity politics nonsense. He's making progress.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Maroxad
@kathaariancode said:

@Maroxad: You should be grateful he didn't turn this thread into identity politics nonsense. He's making progress.

Yeah I noticed the same. For once he actually, refrained from going deeper with his identity politics crap. Progress indeed! Still attempted to derail the thread by going on a random tirade against Democrats. Maybe he finally realized that Identity politics and culture wars is incredibly boring.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Robertos
@silentchief said:

Democrats go all in on unproven research

Meanwhile,

Empirical data do not support the conclusion of a crisis of public trust in science. They do support the conclusion of a crisis of conservative trust in science: polls show that American attitudes toward science are highly polarized along political lines.

🤷‍♀️

This thread is now about the anti-science House Speaker Mike Johnson, since he was selected. This reflects the troubling anti-science nature of many Republicans, which appears to be significantly worse than Democrats going by studies. Baseless claims on the unproven anti-science nature of another poster (Maroxad) is an ad-hominem attack and doesn't change this.

Mike Johnson is a loon. The GOP can do better in my opinion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

@robertos said:

Mike Johnson is a loon. The GOP can do better in my opinion.

The sad fact is with the current crop of politicians in the Republican Party, the GOP actually can't do "better". They all suck. MAGA has to be removed from politics before we get back to the point of palatable GOP politicians.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Maroxad

@LJS9502_basic: What does the MAGA republicans even believe? Someone made a America First thread back then and even in that thread I could not find a coherent set of beliefs. It seemed like some really weak tribalistic temper tantrums. Same with these MAGA republicans, no coherent set of beliefs and they contradict themselves all the time.

Democracy can not function, when one of the major actors is acting like the MAGA crowd does.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Silentchief

@Vaasman said:

@silentchief: Pretty interesting watching a less than 3 year old account with over 5 posts a day made conveniently after the Jan 6 stupid coup cry about alts.

I didn't have a meltdown over January 6th. Regardless I couldn't let it slide. Zaryia constantly accused me of having an alt and he's now on an alt.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Silentchief
@Maroxad said:

@Vaasman: Yeah, nobody is falling for Silent's crap at all. Probably the least convincing person on this site.

Of course, I am more concerned about Silent's complete lack of ability to stay on topic. Notice how he is using a thread about the new speaker of the house to bash democrats because... reasons. Pretty much every post he has made in this thread has been an ad hom against other users or a weird deflection to attack the democrats.

Not surprising he is once again, being anti-science. He exemplifies the problem, a distrust of science is why we are in the situation we are in right now. COVID could have been one of the mildest pandemics in history. Yet people threw temper tantrums making it one of the worst. I dread to imagine what is going to happen WHEN Bird Flu breaks the mammal to mammal barrier. And that is inevitable at this point.

Edit: Unlike someone in this thread, if we got a anti-science democrat as the speaker of the house, I am sure most of us on the left would have called that out. Country over party. Being a Young Earth Creationist already implies a worldview completely out of touch with reality, but this new speaker goes further, to actually fearmonger over science education. Blaming tragedies on the teaching of evolution.

I've stayed completely on topic. It's not my fault you constantly like to get involved in leftwing circle jerks and bash the republican party despite Biden's approval rating hitting record lows.

Hearing you blabbering about science only to prove you are completely inept on every issue you engage in. Covid was a global issue , it effected all countries. You are blaming conservatives for the severity? Was it a conservatives who locked up old people together in mass to die? Most Republicans aren't even anti vaxers. That is a movement that was more prominent among Democrats pre covid. Republicans simply want more test done on vaccines before they become mandated. What's wrong with that? You always claim how pro science you are? So what's wrong with doing more studies to make sure a vaccine is safe?

Regardkess if the Democrats wanted to help they should recommend a republican and stop voting for a Democrat that has 0 chance of winning. They have proved they are nothing more then partisan hacks.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Maroxad

@silentchief: I suggest rereading the topic title:

This thread is was about the speaker of the house debacle. When the Republicans finally got a new speaker of the house, we now discuss the new speaker. This thread has nothing to do with the democratic party.

Nor Biden's approval rating. You once again proved you are completely incapable of sticking to a topic.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 mattbbpl

It looks like he'll be pursuing a continuing cr to avoid a shutdown in 3 weeks. That will delay seeing what kind of speaker he will be in practice, but it will also delay any potential damage from funding fallout.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#120  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Mike Johnson.

Wow.

Just...wow.

So this guy is third in line to the presidency? The guy that:

• Thinks dinosaurs were on board with Noah on his ark.
  • Worked on a committee to build a "life sized" Noah's ark.
  • Think abortions are responsible for the bad economic issues because (paraphrasing) "all those dead babies that would otherwise be alive could be working [for our economic benefit]"
  • 2020 election denier.
  • He is the least experienced Speaker in 140 years. At a time when we have war in Ukraine and Israel-Palestine and there is a huge divide in the US.
  • Ardent homophobe/transphobe
  • Wants to sexually oppress people. You and your significant other want to play with eachother's butts? NOT IF MIKE JOHNSON HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!
  • Anti-choice. Because of course he is.
  • He's also one of those "sex is for procreation only, not for fun" guys, which pairs wonderfully with the anti-choice I think 🙄
  • Still thinks cannabis is a "gateway drug".🙄
  • Does not believe in the separation of church and state; in fact, he believes the opposite.
  • Islamophobe, too. Because again, why wouldn't he be.
  • Is against the involvement of the federal government in all but the most serious of state disasters (so, in other words, a flood or a hurricane would have to get to epically bad status before he feels we should ask the federal government for help).
  • Is against climate science...
  • ...and get's most of his campaign donations from oil and gas companies.

I'll let you guys read the rest. It's all for the most part objectively terrible.

This guy?!

As I've been saying, Republicans and non-Democrat voting people...you got some soul searching to do before the next election.

I don't think Biden is great and the Democrats have not been particularly amazing, but this is a simple choice of not choosing the far, far, far, far, FAR greater evil that is the Republican party.

Or, you know, don't vote if you're not voting Democrat. Normally I'd say it's your civic duty but if you're going to put a Republican in office I'd say at this point it's your duty to not vote that way for the sake of the country.

OK you can come at me now *shield up*

@mattbbpl said:

It looks like he'll be pursuing a continuing cr to avoid a shutdown in 3 weeks. That will delay seeing what kind of speaker he will be in practice, but it will also delay any potential damage from funding fallout.

Well I guess that's one OK thing to come from this.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: Ah, I see you've reached my 2011 "the Republican party has become ****ing dangerous!" realization.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#122 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@mrbojangles25: Ah, I see you've reached my 2011 "the Republican party has become ****ing dangerous!" realization.

I mean are we terrible for thinking this? lol

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubt that there are some fine, upstanding Republicans on the local and even state level out there, but buddy, I sure have not heard about them and I tend to ingest a somewhat balanced diet of news sources.

But for the most part, the entire Republican party--good or bad--seems united on a front of terrible things.

The best it seems we have now is Mitt Romney and Bill Barr bashing Trump, but that's a few years too late since Trump was fully enabled by these two schmucks.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 mattbbpl

@mrbojangles25: Not at all. It's not because of some intrinsic trait like race or gender - they just have a terrible policy platform from which they do terrible things. If they stopped doing those things and promoting those things, I'd have no reason to hold that opinion.

But yeah, they've been getting worse, not better.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Robertos
@mrbojangles25 said:

• Think abortions are responsible for the bad economic issues because (paraphrasing) "all those dead babies that would otherwise be alive could be working [for our economic benefit]"
  • 2020 election denier.
  • He is the least experienced Speaker in 140 years. At a time when we have war in Ukraine and Israel-Palestine and there is a huge divide in the US.
  • Wants to sexually oppress people. You and your significant other want to play with eachother's butts? NOT IF MIKE JOHNSON HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IT!
  • He's also one of those "sex is for procreation only, not for fun" guys, which pairs wonderfully with the anti-choice I think 🙄
  • Does not believe in the separation of church and state; in fact, he believes the opposite.
  • Is against the involvement of the federal government in all but the most serious of state disasters (so, in other words, a flood or a hurricane would have to get to epically bad status before he feels we should ask the federal government for help).

I'll let you guys read the rest. It's all for the most part objectively terrible.

Very sad that this is the most powerful Republican. Crazy really.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

Mike Johnson has said the aid money for Ukraine and Israel will no longer be bundled together like Biden was hoping for and will be voted on separately in the house. (Would prefer no money given to either)

Either way. This is good. Very reasonable.

I respect it. These should be debated separately. I'd like to see more single issue bills passed in the future. Been a long time coming, make it happen.

Respect

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

@robertos said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
  • 2020 election denier.

Very sad that this is the most powerful Republican. Crazy really.

At this point, I’m simply thankful if Trumpe….err, Republicans believe the earth is round and that we landed on the moon.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Robertos
@sargentd said:

I respect it. These should be debated separately. I'd like to see more single issue bills passed in the future. Been a long time coming, make it happen.

Respect

Lmao nope.

New House Speaker Mike Johnson Ties Funding For Israel To IRS Budget Cuts (forbes.com)

@sargentdsaid:

Rather have a speaker that doesn't belive in climate change but is fiscally responsible

Lmao nope.

House GOP: No Israel Aid Unless Rich Tax Cheats Get a Break (nymag.com)

IRS Funding Cut Doesn't Offset Israel Aid in GOP Bill - FactCheck.org

Don't know how someone could be wrong at literally every turn in a 2 week thread but you managed it. 😘

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 mattbbpl

@robertos said:
@sargentd said:

Respect

Lmao nope.

New House Speaker Mike Johnson Ties Funding For Israel To IRS Budget Cuts (forbes.com)

@sargentdsaid:

Rather have a speaker that doesn't belive in climate change but is fiscally responsible

Lmao nope.

Don't know how someone could be wrong at literally every turn in a 2 week thread but you managed it. 😘

It's amazing how much this party loves rich tax cheats.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 SargentD

@mattbbpl said:
@robertos said:
@sargentd said:

Respect

Lmao nope.

@sargentdsaid:

Lmao nope.

**** the IRS

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 SargentD
Loading Video...

Best political speech of 2023.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mattbbpl
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

**** the IRS

Yeah, yeah, we know. Taxation is theft and we should feel fine about the wealthy cheating on their taxes. Yada, yada, yada.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 SargentD

@mattbbpl: them IRS agents Biden wants will be going after the middle class not billionaires.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 mattbbpl

@sargentd said:

@mattbbpl: them IRS agents Biden wants will be going after the middle class not billionaires.

Yeah, yeah, Biden's out to get you. Boo!

Meanwhile, in reality: Link

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SargentD

@mattbbpl said:
@sargentd said:

Yeah, yeah, Biden's out to get you. Boo!

Meanwhile, in reality

Link

Odds of IRS Audit Down Slightly in FY 2022 with Lowest Income Wage-Earners Still Targeted

Last year over 164 million individual income tax returns were filed. The IRS audited 626,204 returns, down from 659,003 during FY 2021. Less than 100,000 of these (93,595) were regular audits in contrast to correspondence audits (532,609). Together this means that last year the odds of audit had fallen to 3.8 out of every 1,000 returns filed (0.38%). For FY 2021, the odds of audit had been 4.1 out of every 1,000 returns filed (0.41%).

The taxpayer class with unbelievably high audit rates – five and a half times virtually everyone else – were low-income wage-earners taking the earned income tax credit. This credit is provided to offset the taxes for the lowest wage-earners in the country. As we previously have reported, [3] this group of taxpayers have historically been targeted not because they account for the most tax under-reporting, but because they are easy marks in an era when IRS increasingly relies upon correspondence audits yet doesn’t have the resources to assist taxpayers or answer their questions. See Figure 2.

Figure 2. Internal Revenue Service Audits of Federal Income Tax Returns Filed by Individuals (audits per 1000 returns), FY 2020-FY 2022

As National Taxpayer AdvocateErin M. Collins pointed out in her annual report to Congress, there is fundamental unfairness in the situation faced by these low-income taxpayers who have complex issues inherently involved with substantiating the anti-poverty earned income tax credit. “If the IRS does not receive a response [to the letters it sends], it will generally disallow the item(s) claimed and ultimately issue a Notice of Deficiency.” She further noted:

“The IRS correspondence audit process is structured to expend the least amount of resources to conduct the largest number of examinations – resulting in the lowest level of customer service to taxpayers having the greatest need for assistance.”

Collins faulted IRS for assuming that these particular correspondence audits were simple. The requirements to substantiate earned income tax credits weren’t simple for this taxpayer segment, but often very complex, she noted. Further, the IRS was faulted for not providing “comprehensible IRS correspondence” when sending these audit letters. IRS letters can be only charitably described as composed in “computer-speak” jargon which fails to make much sense. She further faulted the IRS for only providing these individuals with a generic toll-free number which historically had been inadequately staffed, and where the public rarely can get through to speak with anyone knowledgeable to actually assist them.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Robertos
@sargentd said:
@mattbbpl said:

**** the IRS

50 years of tax cuts for the rich failed to trickle down, economics study says - CBS News

🤷‍♀️

The GOP's economic theory doesn't work.

By the way, you flip flop pretty fast. You praised the idea of single issue bills and now you're championing bullshit unrelated packages again. Completely and utterly changing the entire stance you had for weeks ITT as soon as Mike felt like changing your mind, which appears to be very easy.

@sargentdsaid:

Respect

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 mattbbpl

@sargentd: Ah, yes. Rates from 2022 when the agency was starved for cash is indicative of rates after receiving funding to do their jobs. You are very smart, lol.

You do realize that high end audits require more cash to perform, right? The lack of which is precisely why those dwindled and the easy W2 backed off nes remained.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SargentD

@mattbbpl said:

@sargentd: Ah, yes. Rates from 2022 when the agency was starved for cash is indicative of rates after receiving funding to do their jobs. You are very smart, lol.

You do realize that high end audits require more cash to perform, right? The lack of which is precisely why those dwindled and the easy W2 backed off nes remained.

"The taxpayer class with unbelievably high audit rates – five and a half times virtually everyone else – were low-income wage-earners taking the earned income tax credit."

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By mattbbpl

@sargentd: Right. Like me. I submitted 7 W2s one year, forgot one, they sent me a letter notifying me they found the discrepancy, and I immediately paid the different plus the 1 dollar and change in interest, and it was closed. It cost them nearly nothing, it cost me nearly nothing, and the entire thing was mostly automated.

That stuff doesn't stop when you cut funding. The high earner audits with lawyers do.

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Robertos

Top House Republicans defend IRS cuts in GOP-led Israel aid bill (nbcnews.com)

Democrats have called the bill dead on arrival in the Senate, and President Joe Biden has vowed to veto it.

Great.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SargentD
@robertos said:

Top House Republicans defend IRS cuts in GOP-led Israel aid bill (nbcnews.com)

Democrats have called the bill dead on arrival in the Senate, and President Joe Biden has vowed to veto it.

Great.

Kamala said its not enough money for Israel!! LOL

I hate these democrats.

No more money for Israel or Ukraine.

SECURE OUR SOUTHERN BORDER.

AMERICA FIRST 🇺🇸

Loading Video...
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 mattbbpl

After passing a clean short term CR, there's trouble in paradise as House Republicans head home early due to Freedom Caucus backlash over proposed long term appropriations bills.

Link

“Overall the functionality is gonna get a little worse before it hopefully gets better,” said Rep. Garret Graves, R-La., who was one of McCarthy’s closest allies. “I think that some of them are coming to realize it and I think some of it knew it the whole time.”

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SargentD

Kevin going around hitting congressman in the back who voted him out and running away like a little coward. https://people.com/kevin-mccarthy-tim-burchett-altercation-capitol-8401638