Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts

Me:

Streak o' Lean

Thought I'd try Southern cooking and got a deadly amount of salt and no good taste to discern. DNF 1/10 How about you?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#2 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16021 Posts

Calamari. I tried it once at a buffet and I hated it. It almost made me vomit. How anyone can like it is beyond me.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

The idea of fried salt-cured pork belly doesn't exactly sound appealing.

Feel like you could have picked many other choices for dipping into southern food 😅

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DEVILinIRON

@pyro1245 said:

Feel like you could have picked many other choices for dipping into southern food 😅

I know that now. Yes, sir, I do.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

The worst taste wise was Blue Cheese. It's like eating vomit. I've had things that are more disgusting conceptually like head cheese, haggis, chittlins, and scrapple, but blue cheese still takes the cake (although to be fair I can't really remember what haggis tastes like anymore).

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1130 Posts

@mattbbpl: Try durian... Actually tastes like vomit. That is probably #1 for me. (Blue cheese is great IMO.)

Also I don't like stuff with rose water in it. Why do you want anything to taste like perfume?

I like a lot of things people think are weird and often dislike, but I can't stand the things I mentioned and I don't see how I could ever acquire those tastes.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

A lobster roll in Montreal that tasted like the underside of an old wharf. I was as sick as I've ever been for almost a week.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@girlusocrazy: I knew that sounded familiar, it's the fruit that smells so bad most places in the states won't sell it. I'll pass. I've never been able to separate the taste from the smell like other people seem to be able to.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Gotta go with natto.

Health benefits be damned, it is vile shit. It doesn't help that it basically looks like mucous-enrobed beans.

Smells exactly like my high school football locker after the clothes were in there for a weekend after a muddy game. Just foul.

Even the Japanese don't like it, they say about natto that "it takes three tries to even get it down". The family I visited says many of them like to prank foreigners by offering natto to them lol.

@pyro1245 said:

Salt pork is basically bacon, but not smoked. It's not bad, but it is quite a bit saltier.

It's really good tossed into things as it adds some unctuous character and nice porky fatiness to things (like stews or braises...basically anything French asking for "lardons"). Fried up into crispy pieces (not deep fried, just pan fried) then with some wild mushrooms, some shallot and a bit of vinegar at the end and dumped on a big bed of spinach for a nice cold-warm spinach salad. Om nom nom.

But eaten on its own it is probably a bit much, especially when sliced into big chunks.

You can also soak it in water for a few hours to remove some salt.

@mattbbpl said:

@girlusocrazy: I knew that sounded familiar, it's the fruit that smells so bad most places in the states won't sell it. I'll pass. I've never been able to separate the taste from the smell like other people seem to be able to.

Yeah I think in even the countries where it's grown, you're not allowed to bring it into most buildings and public spaces. You'll actually get a citation. Smells like cooked/rotting onions.

Some people love it, though, and apparently there is a "good" kind of durian and a "bad" kind but I honestly never heard of anyone getting the good kind rofl.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61515 Posts

I don't think i've ever done anything truly bad, and i've grown up on Indian/Chinese/Thai/British/NA food (many more). Worst experience was mistakenly ordering a sandwich in the Dominican and it had salad on and got food poisoning. I was stuck in my room for 3 days.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@mrbojangles25: Damn. I love natto. I have it almost every morning. I mean, if you don't add anything to it, it doesn't smell amazing but it isn't a strong smell. It tastes bland. But when you add tsuyu and mustard, that goes away and it takes on a very good flavor. Paired with egg and rice and it's very good. Pickled plum sauce is another good thing to add. Pair it with banana and it's great.

@mattbbpl: Even if you eat it, the aftertaste is vomit, at least to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59124 Posts

An affront to god.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@DEVILinIRON: Head cheese. What an incredibly deceiving name for a food!

Avatar image for deactivated-661eae767772c
deactivated-661eae767772c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 deactivated-661eae767772c
Member since 2022 • 245 Posts

@mattbbpl: Bleu cheese is a funny thing; I love bleu cheese dressing, dip and crumbles, but a block of bleu cheese grosses me out.

Anyway, I've found chicken gizzards and liverwurst to some of the most repulsive foods I've had.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8441 Posts

@dracula_16 said:

Calamari. I tried it once at a buffet and I hated it. It almost made me vomit. How anyone can like it is beyond me.

Ahh man, I love Calamari.

Granted, it's prepared differently at different places. I wouldn't personally trust seafood at a buffet, since seafood generally requires freshness and quality, which a buffet lacks both.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

@jaydan said:
@dracula_16 said:

Ahh man, I love Calamari.

Granted, it's prepared differently at different places. I wouldn't personally trust seafood at a buffet, since seafood generally requires freshness and quality, which a buffet lacks both.

Yeah calamari really depends on the preparation, but tbh I've never had it and not disliked it.

• Fried calamari
  • Calamari steaks, grilled
  • Squid salad.
  • Sushi
  • Ceviche.

Just can't overcook it. Then it's awful. It has a pretty mild flavor though, not really fishy or strong.

DanishAnwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DanishAnwar
Member since 2023 • 343 Posts

Raw betel leaf 🌿 containing an unknown drug or something that my classmates gave me when I was young.

I had a headache and puked after eating it. I still don't know what they had put in that leaf.

Bitter gourd. My colleague once shared a dish his wife made with bitter gourd. It tasted like a sour medicine.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2082 Posts

Boiled Beef tripe. The texture is like rubber and has a really bad smell.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@DEVILinIRON said:

Me:

Streak o' Lean

Thought I'd try Southern cooking and got a deadly amount of salt and no good taste to discern. DNF 1/10 How about you?

Are these pork scratchings?

Love em, but we don't put ungodly amounts of salt on them here, usually just plain. And super super cheap as well (or use to be). Could get a big months worth box for £10.

Sure that's changed now since prices are on a mission to **** us.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 uninspiredcup

I see. Reading this is similar but slightly different.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 697 Posts

I have lived many years on china, have eaten pig and donkey feet, chicken claw, fish eyes, all kind of insects, Scorpios, baby rats, dogs, sea worms and a whole lot of other things I never knew what they were. I don't remember anything being specially disgusting.

Although I want to point out that china has a lot of wonderful food, it's just the variety can be quite extreme.

The only thing I my life that I vividly remember being painfully disgusting was the laxative I had to take before a colonoscopy, and it wasn't the effect that bothered me. It was the taste and the amount.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10494 Posts

liver is 🤢. tried it many times from various butchers because it's such a good source of protein but always end up feeding it to the dog, who devours it.

hated blue cheese until a family friend who used to be a cheesemonger gifted us a primo cheese selection including a block of stilton. crumbled a bit on a cracker with cornish butter and damn it was tasty despite my nose's best efforts to dissuade me.

reataurant made fresh battered calamari with lemon mayo is the shit. but yeah experienced the cheapo rubbery kind and that stuff is gross

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3490 Posts

Pigs blood jelly/tofu. Tasted like metal or something weird

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3490 Posts
@nirgal said:

I have lived many years on china, have eaten pig and donkey feet, chicken claw, fish eyes, all kind of insects, Scorpios, baby rats, dogs, sea worms and a whole lot of other things I never knew what they were. I don't remember anything being specially disgusting.

Although I want to point out that china has a lot of wonderful food, it's just the variety can be quite extreme.

The only thing I my life that I vividly remember being painfully disgusting was the laxative I had to take before a colonoscopy, and it wasn't the effect that bothered me. It was the taste and the amount.

Ahhh finally someone who has gone above and beyond on this thread lol.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DEVILinIRON
@danishanwar said:

Raw betel leaf 🌿 containing an unknown drug or something that my classmates gave me when I was young.

I had a headache and puked after eating it. I still don't know what they had put in that leaf.

I don't think betel leaf is supposed to be consumed. It's sort of like chewing tobacco. You don't swallow it. That's the way it's used where I come from anyway.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DEVILinIRON

@nirgal said:

I've got to ask what baby rat and dogs taste like. Nummy? Also, would you eat them again?

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nirgal

@DEVILinIRON: the baby rat was quite ok, it was soft and juicy. The dog was too chewy, but maybe it's just the way it was prepared.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Nirgal

@omegamaster: hahah not by choice, most were business meetings with business owners from small towns showing me the local speciality. Had to eat everything with a smile to show respect too.

But as I said before , Chinese food is quite good in general. This is more unusual food for special occasions.

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2046 Posts

Every english restaurant I've been to in UK. Bland AF. Sorry but it's true

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GirlUSoCrazy

@nirgal: What a list! Only thing I ate out of that list is chicken feet and pig feet and they were good. At some point I must have eaten a fish eye. Sea worm jelly sounds like it could be alright. Man you're tough to do some of that with a smile too!

I heard someone's story on a podcast once that their mom said they saved the fish eye for them because it was the best part, so they ate it and thought of it as special. When they grew up they found out the mom was giving it to them because they didn't want it and didn't want to waste food.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Macutchi

@blamix said:

list some and what you had

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:
@blamix said:

list some and what you had

Yea this seems abit sus'

Many UK restaurants will typically have a multitude non-UK food.

Fact is Britain's fav food, are basically Curry and Fish And Chips. Neither of these were invented by the British but rather introduced and integrated. UK, esp down your way have a multitude of diff cultures.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GirlUSoCrazy

@uninspiredcup: I hear nothing but good about Indian, Chinese, Japanese, and Italian food available in the UK.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Macutchi

@uninspiredcup: yeah. english food being shit is an easy cliche and if he ordered oddball and uncommon things like jellied eels, tripe and onions, faggots... stuff like that then yeah, gross. but he's saying restaurants. can only assume he went to 2 meals for £10 type cheap arse restaurants or the shitty chains like fankie and bennies because there are loads of quality multicultural eateries all across the uk

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nirgal

@girlusocrazy: well I don't know where you tried them, but I have been told several times by many people in china that both the eyeball and the back of the neck are the best part of the fish, so I guess some people do think that.

I just see it as people having different tastes and food being very subjective.

To be frank, when it comes to Chinese food my preference is clearly simple street food and small papa mama stores. They do more common food, cheaper and tastier.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts

I love almost every food listed in this thread so far 😭

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GirlUSoCrazy

@nirgal: It was just someone else's story and it didn't make me want to try it, I don't often get a complete fish, just fillets. But you make it sound good honestly. I love fish and I'm open minded about trying things people really like, so I'll definitely try it! Thanks for the tip!

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts

@omegamaster said:

Not my favorite thing, but if it's in a tasty soup, i find it to be not bad.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44621 Posts

Never had it but I've smelled street vendors cooking "stinky tofu" and it's exactly what it sounds like, smells like the most disgusting dumpster you've ever smelled left on in the hot sun to cook and it is a repugnant smell that can overwhelm you from blocks away. Supposedly it's "good for you".

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Nirgal

@lamprey263: hahaha my wife's favourite! She always says it tasted different from it's smell, but in my own experience, it tastes pretty much as it smells. A bit like japanese natto.

But then again, I do eat stinky cheese and I love it.

We fermented milk in the west, they ferment soy beans in the east.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@nirgal: Maybe if you make it yourself homemade, natto smells strong. But if you get it out of a container from the store, the manufacturers remove the gas that gets sealed in there that results in a strong smell, and it becomes very mild. Then you just add the sauce and it just smells and tastes like the sauce, I find.

I am curious to try stinky tofu.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

@appariti0n said:
@omegamaster said:

Not my favorite thing, but if it's in a tasty soup, i find it to be not bad.

Get used in Black Puddings here, black puddings are awesome.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

Made a seafood soup once that I had way too much salt in. Was disgusting and inedible and there was no saving it. I think I can eat pretty much anything, as long as it's cooked well.

People are such wimps when it comes to durians. It doesn't smell like a toilet, and it doesn't taste like ass. At least not the one I tried. It's a sweet fruit with a mild taste, and an aftertaste that could be likened to onions. It's a weird fruit, but acting like its this foul thing from hell is fucking silly to me. Maybe there are really "bad" durians out there, so maybe I shouldn't say too much. But I still think people just exaggerate.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

I once went to an Asian market with my friend who was Japanese. He had me try some kind of squid ball. I love calamari, one of my favorite foods (I used to free dive to hunt tako) so I figured hell why not, but this was repulsive.

Not the taste, but the texture. It was like eating snot, and I had to fight not to vomit right then and there. I love octopus, but not raw. Thankfully it didn’t turn me off calamari, but I won’t eat any seafood raw from that point on. 🤢

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3449 Posts

I'm fine with everything if well executed.

Being Portuguese, from snails to cow's guts we'll make everything taste delicious.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy

@MirkoS77: Was it Takoyaki or something else? I know Takoyaki is octopus and not squid, but it's all that came up when I searched "japanese squid ball"

I know there's a Filipino squid ball type food but I'm not sure if it's the same.

I had some takoyaki with breakfast today, I was just craving it...

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17678 Posts

@girlusocrazy said:

@MirkoS77: Was it Takoyaki or something else? I know Takoyaki is octopus and not squid, but it's all that came up when I searched "japanese squid ball"

I know there's a Filipino squid ball type food but I'm not sure if it's the same.

I had some takoyaki with breakfast today, I was just craving it...

Could be, by the look of pics online it looks very similar. Probably Takoyaki.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#49 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3658 Posts

Snicker doodle

My dad's aunt had made some snicker doodles which basically looked like dog crap. She begged me to eat one so I did and it tasted like crap. I had stomach pain throughout the night and luckily my family left the next day. I never eaten raw cookie dough before and really shouldn't have.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#50  Edited By GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Some cheese snack that goes with beer in a pizzeria. I think it was this one:

Cheddar Cheese Rolls, I'd guess you could call them. Fucking nasty tasting (even though they're just baked Cheddar Cheese with rucolas).