Dems, who is your go to candidate for 2020?

• 70 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Beto O'Rourke - has apologized for being white on numerous occasions, but seems to lack experience and gravitas

Kamala Harris - Diverse, but former prosecutor that doesn't have best regard on liberal rights

Gabby Tulsard - Minority, but bashed unfettered immigration. Military background. May be republican in dems clothing.

Elizabeth Warren - Proud native american heritage, very progressive views on economy. Complains about rich people, but has net worth of about 8 million.

Corey Booker - From new Jersey.

Peter Buttigieg - White male, but identifies as gay so they may cancel each other out.

Hillary Clinton - Lost to Trump. incredible moral compass and integrity. Rerun for 2020?

Joe Biden - Old white male. not diverse enough.

I'm thinking Kamala harris or Elizabeth Warren? zariya, who is your go to?

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23038 Posts
@sonicare said:

Corey Booker - From new Jersey.

Elizabeth Warren is my preference to this point. I like a politician who is willing and able to describe policy in detail and why they think it's beneficial.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14809 Posts

Andrew Yang - Minority, very progressive views on economy, nerdy, shook hands with Obama.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

As a person who was in Corey Booker's camp about a year or more before he declared he was running I'm on the side of Elizabeth Warren at this point. Maybe wonkiness isn't what we need to win, but I still think it makes for a decent president.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#5 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41538 Posts

Top: Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris

Low: Joe Biden (sad I have to put him low), Tulsi Gabbard (we already have someone like her in the White House and New York Congress, hell, she joins a bunch of other DINO's such as a former Milwaukee Sheriff), and Bernie Sanders (like Biden, it's sad I have to put him low, and I supported him in 2016).

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@nintendoboy16: While Tulsi Gabbard may not be as progressive as AOC or many of the other freshmen Democrats in Congress, comparing her to David Clarke may be a little much. Clark literally ran as a Democrat because he knew he wouldn’t get elected as a Republican and never kept his conservative views hidden.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Sanders is a joke.

Harris is probably the smartest and would make the best president so she doesn't have a realistic chance.

I guess Biden then

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mattbbpl

On a related note, Biden has been thoroughly disappointing already. Even his messaging, which is what he can control most, has been terrible.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nintendoboy16
@ad1x2 said:

@nintendoboy16: While Tulsi Gabbard may not be as progressive as AOC or many of the other freshmen Democrats in Congress, comparing her to David Clarke may be a little much. Clark literally ran as a Democrat because he knew he wouldn’t get elected as a Republican and never kept his conservative views hidden.

Pretty sure Tulsi never kept her right-wing views hidden either. Even she tried to "apologize" for her beliefs on LGBT relations, said views being jokes of Colbert (who had her on his show and is the worst guest since Milo on Bill Maher) and Trevor Noah. Hell, she attracts some known Anti-SJW, if not outright alt-right pundits, including...

-David Duke

-Carl "Sargon of Akkad" Benjamin

-Tucker Carlson

-Paul Joseph Watson

-Mark Dice

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Warren for me. She has fleshed out proposals where the rest don't quite yet. I'm mostly indifferent to the rest of the lot, but Biden seems to be putting his foot in his mouth more than ever.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

LOL love this thread because no one seemed to get that Sonic was being highly sarcastic, especially with the "proud native American heritage" which should have been a dead giveaway.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:

LOL love this thread because no one seemed to get that Sonic was being highly sarcastic, especially with the "proud native American heritage" which should have been a dead giveaway.

Most people understand he was being sarcastic in his description. A child could tell. Does that mean people can't simply express who they like in addition?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7291 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Oh I noticed. Can still give an honest answer to a troll question.

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Warren for me. She has fleshed out proposals where the rest don't quite yet. I'm mostly indifferent to the rest of the lot, but Biden seems to be putting his foot in his mouth more than ever.

Warren is my top pick too. If the general election was about substantive policy positions, Warren would mop the floor with the rest of the group. But general elections are more about image, messaging, and quick responses to gotcha questions, which Warren is not the best at. She doesn't have much of a chance, but I'm still voting for her.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127509 Posts
@HoolaHoopMan said:

A woman? You rooting for a woman? What is wrong with you? :P

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ad1x2

@nintendoboy16 said:
@ad1x2 said:

Pretty sure Tulsi never kept her right-wing views hidden either. Even she tried to "apologize" for her beliefs on LGBT relations, said views being jokes of Colbert (who had her on his show and is the worst guest since Milo on Bill Maher) and Trevor Noah. Hell, she attracts some known Anti-SJW, if not outright alt-right pundits, including...

-David Duke

-Tucker Carlson

-Paul Joseph Watson

-Mark Dice

If you want to hold some of Tulsi’s past beliefs against her that she later disavowed, then you would have to do the same for a lot of other Democrats as well. Some of the people you listed may have said a kind word or two about her because she is choosing not to go all out on trying to make the GOP irrelevant and is trying to work with them on getting common ground, unlike certain other Democrats like AOC and Ilhan Omar. That doesn’t mean she agrees with them, especially a bigot like David Duke.

Speaking of Omar, she was endorsed by David Duke last March for her views many have called anti-Semitic. I don’t think you posted a single negative thing about her (if you did I missed it), so is that going to change now or are you going to dismiss Duke’s endorsement of her and say that endorsements =/= agreement with the endorser?

Maybe you didn’t know about Duke’s endorsement of Omar, since the media pretty much kept it quiet (outside of a few right-wing sources) while they went all out to ensure we knew Duke praised Laura Ingraham for an anti-immigrant opening she did on the Ingraham Angle, which caused her to rebuke him and reject his endorsement the following night on her show.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8778 Posts

Warren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

Most people understand he was being sarcastic in his description. A child could tell. Does that mean people can't simply express who they like in addition?

I was being more humorous than antagonistic.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I'm a little worried about the current field of Democrats. If this is all they have, I have a bad feeling Trump will win again.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan

@plageus900 said:

I'm a little worried about the current field of Democrats. If this is all they have, I have a bad feeling Trump will win again.

Who would you want? Or if there isn't anyone that comes to mind, what policies are you looking for that current candidates aren't tackling? Curious is all.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl

@sonicare: That's how I took it. Shrug, if not I'll take the opportunity to have an interesting discussion either way.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk
@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

And it was also pretty good :)

But Hoop is correct though, even though this was a humorous thread, it´s a free world so people can do what they want and express who they truly support, even though some may have responded in a humorous way as well.

I mean who else would legitimately support Warren or Yang.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@mattbbpl said:

@sonicare: That's how I took it. Shrug, if not I'll take the opportunity to have an interesting discussion either way.

I think it's interesting to see the perspectives on the candidates as well. I'd say Warren seems to be the leading candidate at this point.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mattbbpl

@sonicare: I think it's still Biden by a solid amount, but we're a long way out and things will change one way or another.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@mattbbpl said:

@sonicare: I think it's still Biden by a solid amount, but we're a long way out and things will change one way or another.

Biden may be leading now, but I think that Warren is going to have large appeal to the more progressive elements of the party. As long as she can keep the wonkiness to a minimum, I expect her to start moving up. And Biden has been having a lot of slip ups recently.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mattbbpl

@sonicare: Which I'd funny, because the wonkiness is what I like about her :-)

I don't even think I'd call Biden's issues "slip ups". This appears to be who he's running as - a status quo candidate who tells the wealthy he'll change as little as possible and who tells struggling millennials to suck it up because he has no sympathy.

Hes running as the Democrat who will carry the torch for boomers but not be Trump.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

Peter Buttigieg is my ideal candidate, but I am afraid he is exactly that; an ideal. He comes off moderate; not too crazy to either side, but still progressive without being overly liberal. Christian, buy a homosexual, so I imagine that usual brand of Christian crazy we get with our politicians would be tempered.

Realistically I can see Warren winning the democratic nomination, and I'd be OK with that. Harris is another good option but frankly she was an DA and AG and I don't trust people that held those positions.

@Jacanuk said:

I think most of us got that (and it was very funny), but that doesn't mean it wasn't a genuine question to answer.

pcvirginrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 pcvirginrace
Member since 2017 • 192 Posts

@SOedipus: small weewee spotted

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

But Hoop is correct though, even though this was a humorous thread, it´s a free world so people can do what they want and express who they truly support, even though some may have responded in a humorous way as well.

Smarter people than Trump supporters?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HoolaHoopMan

@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

I didn't find it antagonistic at all. Nothing wrong with poking fun at candidates. People get too bent out of shape on things.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nintendoboy16
@ad1x2 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

-David Duke

-Tucker Carlson

-Paul Joseph Watson

-Mark Dice

If you want to hold some of Tulsi’s past beliefs against her that she later disavowed, then you would have to do the same for a lot of other Democrats as well. Some of the people you listed may have said a kind word or two about her because she is choosing not to go all out on trying to make the GOP irrelevant and is trying to work with them on getting common ground, unlike certain other Democrats like AOC and Ilhan Omar. That doesn’t mean she agrees with them, especially a bigot like David Duke.

Speaking of Omar, she was endorsed by David Duke last March for her views many have called anti-Semitic. I don’t think you posted a single negative thing about her (if you did I missed it), so is that going to change now or are you going to dismiss Duke’s endorsement of her and say that endorsements =/= agreement with the endorser?

Maybe you didn’t know about Duke’s endorsement of Omar, since the media pretty much kept it quiet (outside of a few right-wing sources) while they went all out to ensure we knew Duke praised Laura Ingraham for an anti-immigrant opening she did on the Ingraham Angle, which caused her to rebuke him and reject his endorsement the following night on her show.

Okay? Wake me when more white nationalists and anti-SJW's back Ilhan Omar (which doesn't make any sense) like there are anti-SJW's and white nationalists that support Tulsi Gabbard. And I'm holding her views that she apparently "disavowed" against her, because I have no reason to believe her and think she's damage controlling to make her fellow Democrats hate her less (which is not working).

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@sonicare: lmao! Love the description's.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jacanuk
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:
@sonicare said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:

lol ok

That s why they are for one not even registerable and for the other in the few percentiles.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HoolaHoopMan

@Jacanuk said:
@HoolaHoopMan said:
@Jacanuk said:

lol ok

That s why they are for one not even registerable and for the other in the few percentiles.

I'm not even sure if that was a coherent point.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

Its still too early to choose for me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178850 Posts

While still early I suppose I'm leaning Warren.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jacanuk
@HoolaHoopMan said:

I'm not even sure if that was a coherent point.

Having trouble understanding plain English or was it percentiles that got you confused?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ad1x2

@nintendoboy16: I’m surprised you’re trying to make me defend a Democratic candidate, but I am going to assume she did something huge that made you look at Tulsi as a DINO. Many on the right still consider her to be to the left, just not as far left as our freshmen that keep screaming “Impeach Trump” every other day. If, against all odds, Tulsi got the Democratic nomination would you vote for her or would you just stay home like a lot of Bernie or Bust people did in 2016?

Back to Omar, Duke isn’t the only endorsement she got. She also got praised by Louis Farrakhan, someone that is both unapologetically anti-white and anti-Jew.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Warren. Despite the whole native american fiasco, she has a plan for everything.

@Jacanuk said:

This is a Trumpette, folks. Someone who thinks he's smart but, well, he isn't...

It's okay. Those illegals won't hurt you. White America will soon be yours. Hush little baby. Obama won't hurt you now.

lol

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@ad1x2: out of all the dems Tulsi is the one that could proabably beat trump, shes a woman, shes a Democrat, she served in the millitary (thats big.) Could pull from trumps base and would definently pull progressives who would take a moderate dem woman over buisness man trump. Shes been anti censorship. She has talked about reaching across the isle to try and actually get things done. The left is foolish to just dismiss her.

I think she could beat trump for sure. But they run a biden or warren its gameover, trump wins.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ad1x2

@jeezers said:

@ad1x2: out of all the dems Tulsi is the one that could proabably beat trump, shes a woman, shes a Democrat, she served in the millitary (thats big.) Could pull from trumps base and would definently pull progressives who would take a moderate dem woman over buisness man trump. Shes been anti censorship. She has talked about reaching across the isle to try and actually get things done. The left is foolish to just dismiss her.

I think she could beat trump for sure. But they run a biden or warren its gameover, trump wins.

I think that the problem is her biggest critics from the Left are upset she is willing to compromise with the GOP. They prefer candidates that run on the idea that the GOP will soon be irrelevant, but they fail to realize that while Democrats may outnumber Republicans, they don’t outnumber them to such a degree that they can gain a supermajority nationwide like they have in California.

Honestly, from what I have read about her, I wouldn’t even mind her as president; while I disagree with several of her policies, she’s probably the only Democrat running I would consider voting for if she was the nominee since almost all of the rest of them are talking about reparations, de facto open borders, etc. while she is somewhat willing to be a team player with the other party. Also, she is still in the military (National Guard) and would need to resign her commission if she were elected.

But unless something huge happens between today and the general election, she’s not going to be the nominee. Not while other Democrats are tearing her down for not being far enough to the left, and she even called the president a female dog (in more vulgar terms) in a tweet last year over his position on Saudi Arabia after that journalist was murdered. That was by far her most liked tweet.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#41 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I love Andrew Yang. But he's not going anywhere. I'll probably support my mans Bernie again but it seems excitement for him has really declined.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So far it's still Andrew Yang or Tulsi Gabbard. I think I would vote for Yang.

My main concern with him is his answer to free speech. But I think it's because that wasn't his focus and he wasn't fully up to date on the actual issue there. And his other policies are well thought-out and seem like they could address major societal issues that the USA has had since its inception. If it works, America would write history and set a great example for Europe & rest of the world on how to move forward. I don't really have any doubts about Tulsi, but she sets the bar lower than Yang.

I think they both stand a small chance, as long as people don't get defeatist about it. Thing is though, Trump is going to get A LOT of votes because of the media going PC. I think we have to wait until the elections in 2024 to see someone else win, and I think the media have been the main causation.

@ad1x2 Exactly. Most Americans are moderates. If you piss off the moderates, you can't win elections.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mattbbpl

@ad1x2: I can't believe you're still advocating Dems reach across the aisle. We both know the Republicans have no interest in bipartisanship.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nintendoboy16
@ad1x2 said:

@nintendoboy16: I’m surprised you’re trying to make me defend a Democratic candidate, but I am going to assume she did something huge that made you look at Tulsi as a DINO. Many on the right still consider her to be to the left, just not as far left as our freshmen that keep screaming “Impeach Trump” every other day. If, against all odds, Tulsi got the Democratic nomination would you vote for her or would you just stay home like a lot of Bernie or Bust people did in 2016?

Back to Omar, Duke isn’t the only endorsement she got. She also got praised by Louis Farrakhan, someone that is both unapologetically anti-white and anti-Jew.

Here's something recent from one of her rivals in the same Hawaii branch of the party:

And she just recently defended Joe Biden's segregationist past (which kind of surprises me because he was VP of Obama, whom she can't stand about as much as one of her GOP counterparts, sitting in the White House, can't stand him):

And that's not going to possible ties with terrorist paramilitary in India, like how another one of her GOP counterparts does in Ireland.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ad1x2

@mattbbpl said:

@ad1x2: I can't believe you're still advocating Dems reach across the aisle. We both know the Republicans have no interest in bipartisanship.

Democrats do not currently have the numbers to gain a supermajority nationwide. Bipartisanship is the the only way they are getting anything major passed, no matter how much their supporters beg them to ignore the GOP and tell them to go at it alone.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Ummmm, they need a simple majority in the House, a simple majority in the Senate and nuke the filibuster, and take the WH. No supermajority needed.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jacanuk
@mattbbpl said:

Nice that you show your true colours ..,, Have you ever looked into fascism? because i think you would def like that.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeezers

@KungfuKitten: i agree my favorite canidates running on the left are tulsi and yang as well. I lean more towards tulsi but i do like yang, hes put alot of thought into his campaign. Im still not sold on UBI, but I commend him for putting as much thought into it that he has. They are both young and have new ideas on how to go forward.

More importantly they both seem genuine, people i could have a beer with and thats what you need to win. (As assinine as that sounds its true lol)

If the DNC tries to force feed us Biden, Kamala, or Warren, I'll proabably vote trump. I'm not die hard trump, but I'll take him over those choices. I'm just an independent sick of the establishment. Voting for a warren is like voting for a bush in my eyes.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl

@Jacanuk: By all means, please tell me that the Republicans have been interested in bipartisanship all along. I could use a laugh.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jeezers

@mattbbpl: you know alot of trump supporters dont like the establishment on the right either. Thats why he won the nomination. Like a hand grenade thrown into the establishment right, rhinos hated Trump and were never trumpers. The republican party needed a wake up call and that was Trump. Not everything is black and white, many people agree with both the left and right on different things, bipartisanship isn't a bad idea, its actually what they are supposed to do. The establishment on both sides need to learn how to do thier jobs. The left could use a wake up call as well. I look forward to the day democrats give up on Clinton, Biden, or Warren for a fresh face for the party. Eventually they gotta throw thier own hand grenade or they will never get what they actually want.