KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#101 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I just started the new doom game and the combat is better than the last one. The glory kill thing is less disruptive to the combat flow. And it's pretty intricately designed. The weapons all feel real cool and there are many little upgrades.

My only nitpick is the map. I don't like controlling the map on PC.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23959 Posts

@so_hai said:

I haven't played them but they look they have too much story to me.

Doom is killing demons.

That is all.

The stories of my encounters are more memorable than anything id would write anyways.

Ran out of ammo with shotgun, auto swapped to cannon. Immediately entered sniper mode, sniped off the turrets of two arachnotrons, swapped to rocket launcher. Swapped to Super Shotgun, Meathooked some fodder. Chainsawed, replenished shotgun ammo, and gave the 2 arachnotrons a wallop with my Super Shotgun.

Stuff like this happens all the time.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#103  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@jg4xchamp:

So I guess apologies are out of the question? Not saying you're obligated to but it would be nice.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

No other game in existence tests your skills and reflexes like DOOM and Doom Eternal.

Yes, there are plenty of challenging games out there, with inflated difficulty or difficulty based on trial and error.

But the new Doom games test your skill legitimately; if you fail, it's because you failed. In most other games if you fail, it's because the enemy had an unfair advantage, or the game mechanics were not quite polished enough, and yes sometimes you fail but generally not.

I say this because when I fail in other games, I often rage quit; but with Doom, I don't quit because I can only blame myself.

The game does have an advantage (not unfair though) but those advantages can be overcome because you are given the tools to do so. Replenishing armor, health or ammo is dependent solely on the player and not something relying on the game to give you the correct or timely drop. Dying has not caused me anger as in other games though as you must rely on strategy more than anything. At one point early in the game it tells you to make use of your booster. That is excellent advice because you can't lollygag and take shelter and hope the storm passes.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#105 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@Maroxad: Exactly. The game is about combat and the story emerges from there.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Um, the original ones are a repetitive mindless bloodfest too... in a good way. It's fast paced arcadey fragging. They are what they were meant to be.

IMO 2016 (playing through now) is pretty much what it needs to be as a modern reimagining of the series.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#107 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@jg4xchamp:

So I guess apologies are out of the question? Not saying you're obligated to but it would be nice.

No, you should apologize for not knowing what an air dash is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jg4xchamp

@ghosts4ever said:

Doom Eternal is also hardest Doom game and also much more difficult than Doom 1 and Doom 2 where you can kill enemy by one or 2 shot.

on Nightmare? LOL no the **** it isn't. Bad take.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58439 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Um, the original ones are a repetitive mindless bloodfest too... in a good way. It's fast paced arcadey fragging. They are what they were meant to be.

IMO 2016 (playing through now) is pretty much what it needs to be as a modern reimagining of the series.

It's nice to play a game where you don't have to think. You just react.

Not saying it's a dumb game, or there is a lack of strategy, but it's more reflexes and instinct than most games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59211 Posts

@xantufrog said:

Um, the original ones are a repetitive mindless bloodfest too.

That's false, many of the maps are very complex.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 uninspiredcup

@mrbojangles25 said:
@xantufrog said:

It's nice to play a game where you don't have to think.

Loading Video...

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@uninspiredcup: that is true - but i would still describe my experience as mindless fragging. The whole point is visceral continuous movement IMO. It's not meant to be (proto)Portal!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#113 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39449 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I just started the new doom game and the combat is better than the last one. The glory kill thing is less disruptive to the combat flow. And it's pretty intricately designed. The weapons all feel real cool and there are many little upgrades.

Really? You just hold right click and turn the map to your liking with WASD. It works perfectly on pc.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By jg4xchamp

If you think Doom 1 is the shut your brain off game you need to start trying to do 100% runs of missions of that game on Ultra Violence, without quick saving out the ass. This conversation also completely changes when you throw in all the fantastic Wad's Doom has between Sunlust, Plutonia, Sythe, Valient, etc.

Doom 2016 is far more brain dead. Fun to say the least because it's at least cathartic and has you moving n grooving in a way FPS campaigns haven't had you move since the Quake n Unreal days, but far from the knowledge check of response that are Doom n Doom 2 and their WADs

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#115 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25004 Posts

In Doom 1 and 2. due to lack of free mouse look. if demon is upstair or downstrair, you shoot, automatically it kill demon.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@fastnslowww: When I first played Doom 2016 I did not like it either. But I replayed it in 2018 and I loved it.

It's not actually mindless, there is a high degree of skill in it. I have not played Eternal yet, but I think i;m going to like it too.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 nepu7supastar7

@jg4xchamp:

An air dash is a dash you can perform in the air only. A regular dash is where you can do it anywhere. Doom Eternal has a dash, not an air dash. That's why they call it "air dash." If it could be done anywhere then you wouldn't need to add "air" in the name. You'd just call it a dash. Unless you're implying that said game has more than one type of dash. Like air dash and ground dash.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@jg4xchamp:

An air dash is a dash you can perform in the air only. A regular dash is where you can do it anywhere. Doom Eternal has a dash, not an air dash. That's why they call it "air dash." If it could be done anywhere then you wouldn't need to add "air" in the name. You'd just call it a dash. Unless you're implying that said game has more than one type of dash. Like air dash and ground dash.

That's that obtuse shit again Nepu. When I said air dash, I was clearly illustrating a scenario in which you dash... in the air. There is a clear difference so I was being specific.

Disingenuous/10 great job.

This is often why SW sucks for game discussion. Oops I was wrong about something, so let me shift goalposts, run some circular arguments, and dig into petty semantics shit. Do everything I can to turn this L into a W instead of just having a normal discussion.

You wonder why you're being insulted, yet you're the one trying to take us for fools with this nonsense.

-

Directly to your point, it's not like this is something written in stone. But it is extremely common to distinguish between the two. If you talk fighting games with people, especially in regards to anime fighters and team fighters, dash, air dash, and instant air dash are always specified. While they may be the same mechanic, the state in which they're executed matters.

People also distinguish between a punch and a jumping punch. A tatsu or an air tatsu. A teleport or an air teleport or an instant air teleport.

I'd rather not explain this to you like you're a 5 year old, or a disabled adult. But you invite this on yourself when you debate your points in poor faith.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 nepu7supastar7

@ConanTheStoner:

"it's not like this is something written in stone."

- If you really believe that then why even bother calling it an air dash? If it's the same thing then why point it out? I just call it a dash. And in some cases like in hack & slash games, there's a key difference between an air dash and ground dash. Sometimes you pick one or the other. That's not being obtuse, it's simple game design. Why call something an air dash if you don't need to be in the air to do it? Just call it a dash so you don't confuse the player.

The only reason why I'm even talking about this is because Jag told me that I don't know what an air dash is. And my point is that when you take the time to call something an air move in an action adventure game, you're implying that there's specific purpose for it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 uninspiredcup

The great battle of our time.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 ConanTheStoner

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

"it's not like this is something written in stone."

- If you really believe that then why even bother calling it an air dash? If it's the same thing then why point it out?

Because I was illustrating a specific scenario in which, you dash... IN THE AIR.

I mean this is so dead ass simple. Sure. I could have said "dashing whilst in the air", but saying air dash is shorter and means the same thing.

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

That's not being obtuse, it's simple game design. Why call something an air dash if you don't need to be in the air to do it? Just call it a dash so you don't confuse the player.

It's absolutely obtuse, no it's not game design it's you arguing semantics, and if you think this is confusing then I feel for you.

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

The only reason why I'm even talking about this is because Jag told me that I don't know what an air dash is. And my point is that when you take the time to call something an air move in an action adventure game, you're implying that there's specific purpose for it.

I have no idea what the context was for your discussion with @Jag85. Maybe a different game, different meaning idk.

To repeat myself yet again, I was illustrating a specific scenario. Dashing. In. The. Air.

But ok, you want to dig into the granular aspects of it. The air dash in Eternal does have specific purpose. It's not redundant. It doesn't lose purpose just because it can be done on the ground as well. You literally can not progress in the game without it. It's a mechanic that is executed in a different state. It provides additional mobility in said state. That mobility enables evasion as well as offence that leads to further possibilities in the combat space, while also making progression possible seeing as the levels are specifically designed around it. Again, it is a key mechanic necessary for progression in this game. It fills roles that dashing on the ground does not.

This is much further than I'm usually willing to go with circular arguments. If you have something new to add, go for it. If you're just going quibble further over semantics and keep this same circle of nonsense going, I'm done.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 nepu7supastar7

@ConanTheStoner:

I totally agree with you. This is a stupid argument. This wasn't meant to be a stupid argument. I was just being specific about the difference between an air dash and ground dash. I already know I can be a dumb bit ch about a good amount of things that I don't understand. I already have low self esteem, I don't need people to remind me that. But in this specific case, I don't think I am.

You look anywhere online on any guide for Doom Eternal, everyone calls it a dash. Because that's what it is.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Haven't played the latest. Doom 2016 was alright I guess. FPS just aren't my thing, so there's that, too.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@nepu7supastar7 said:

I already know I can be a dumb bit ch about a good amount of things that I don't understand. I already have low self esteem, I don't need people to remind me that.

Hey, I don't mean any of this personally like that. Don't let people get at you, especially not some random fuckers on SW. None of this shit matters.

We obviously just disagree over some shit that is largely pointless anyways. Lets squash it at that.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts
Loading Video...

Anyone else seen Doom eternal run in 3rd person?....looks better than first person, IMO. Way more fun.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#127 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39449 Posts

@fastnslowww said:
Loading Video...

Anyone else seen Doom eternal run in 3rd person?....looks better than first person, IMO. Way more fun.

With this kind of field of view, its way less sweaty, so no, i wouldn't say that its anywhere near as good as it is in first person.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 jg4xchamp

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@jg4xchamp:

An air dash is a dash you can perform in the air only.

This is false, stop being dense.

An air dash is simply a dash in the air. Other games can call the mechanic whatever, but the end result is an air dash. Being able to dash on the ground does not invalidate something being an air dash, that's not how mechanics work. Anime fighters for instance are called air dashers, but they don't exclusively have a dash in the air, they have dashes on the ground. Back dash being one of them. Forward dashes as well.

Doom guy has a dash he can unlock to give him more mobility, which is also something he can use in the air, effectively giving him an air dash

An air dash is a dash move that gets you to a direction quicker, can be used for evasive terms as well, or to make it to further horizontal distances.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 nepu7supastar7

@jg4xchamp:

That's fine if that's how you view it. But the game Doom Eternal itself calls it a Dash, not an air dash. Likely for the exact same reasons stated. It can be performed anywhere.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

This can't be. I mean are people actually arguing over the dash and what to call it?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ConanTheStoner

@Solaryellow:

Semantics da best, but hey bro. People were recently arguing over how fans work. We're making progress here.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#132 Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

Agreed about the game.

About the map, yeah it was a bit wonky to control at first, but I started using a combination of WASD + mouse instead of just the mouse. Felt much better.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jg4xchamp

@nepu7supastar7: no one gives a **** what the game calls it, doom guy can air dash is simply a fact. He possess the ability to air dash in Doom Eternal. Being needlessly obtuse about this is dumb.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#134 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19647 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@ConanTheStoner:

I have no idea what the context was for your discussion with @Jag85. Maybe a different game, different meaning idk.

Huh? I don't recall ever having such a discussion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ConanTheStoner

@Jag85 said:

Huh? I don't recall ever having such a discussion.

Yeah my bad bro. Now I realize she must've been talking about Champ, but said Jag instead.