Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46493 Posts
@last_lap said:

Gaming for me peaked in the Dreamcast generation, from the 360 generation onwards it has only gotten worse.

This generation was the first generation that I didn't buy a console day 1. I didn't buy a Series X until 2022.

I've spent more money on retro stuff in the last 2yrs.

I'm over the custscenes, walking segments, video game stories in general.

All understandable. Each console series certainly has its own charm. While this console generation does seem like more of the same with prettier graphics. It's a "pro" generation more than anything.

What are your favourite games from the Dreamcast gen?

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 682 Posts

My gaming desires are met.

Like with cinema we have reached a stage where all the new gameplay designs have been released there is very little chance of anything new.

What we need, like cinema, is for good games to be made. The companies could focus more on gameplay than prettier graphics but that is the modern world. But you can see how the Soulsbourne series has evolved to Elden Ring and how games like Hades took a simple concept and made a good game from it.

Unfortunately companies like EA, Ubisoft, Rockstar and Bethesda are just pumping out more of the same with diminishing returns on quality and innovation. The problem is these are the games that sell like hot cakes. That is the real problem in the current industry.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

Sure. The industry is what it is, but there's still plenty to play and replay.

Like the first Splinter Cell on the $499 Xbox Series X.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@jcafcwbb: well put!

@freedomfreak said:

Sure. The industry is what it is, but there's still plenty to play and replay.

Like the first Splinter Cell on the $499 Xbox Series X.

Yeah same here, I love revisiting old games and olden game design. More focus on player agency and less hand holding.

Xbox series X is especially great for replaying older games at 4k.

Any idea what is going on with the Beyond good & evil remake? Looked complete but then Ubisoft sweeped it under the rug.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#55 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25003 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: In gaming forums. people actually hate most video games.

even back in 2008-10. most games that era gotten hate.

gamers used to complain too many FPS. now theres barely FPS games. infact FPS genre replace by First person action games.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Yup. Wish MS didn't drop their BC program. And no idea about the Beyond remake. Pretty sure there was also a remake of the first Splinter Cell coming.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#57 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59203 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: Didn't like Portal 2 that much, vastly inferior to the first game. Actually does have long boring walking sections where Office guy never shuts the **** up.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: No opposing force and Blue shift remakes for you.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#60  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34699 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Litchie: You are asking to making more interesting games with your Prince of Persia example but in the same breath are asking for more of the same. 🤔

Yeah, but

@Litchie said:

It was new and fresh, and hasn't really been done since.

meaning that I'm way less tired of that style than what The Lost Crown is. Thus, more interesting. It's more that I'm asking for less of the same current things in favor of stuff we haven't seen in a long time, or haven't seen evolve.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Litchie

@R4gn4r0k: Yeah, I don't think PoP needs to be what I want, but another metroidvania doesn't excite me a whole lot. Does look pretty good though.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62 ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 719 Posts

Game Pass yes thank you Phil!!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 R4gn4r0k

@thatforumuser: game pass is great in a buffet kind of way. Lots of little things you love eating, throw them all on one plate and indulge.

It'll allow me to try Stalker, Commandos, Hellblade and Avowed this year so I'm all for it.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1262 Posts

Nope.

Arcade racing is pretty much dead. Barely any hack and slash , although we did get Hifi Rush a year ago....

Being fun to play often takes a backseat to other things.

All the horse power of modern systems is going to pushing more pixels or lame open worlds.

Indies can be good, but there's barely any good 3d ones.

Thank god for older games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#65 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@Litchie said:
@Pedro said:

@Litchie: You are asking to making more interesting games with your Prince of Persia example but in the same breath are asking for more of the same. 🤔

Yeah, but

@Litchie said:

It was new and fresh, and hasn't really been done since.

meaning that I'm way less tired of that style than what The Lost Crown is. Thus, more interesting. It's more that I'm asking for less of the same current things in favor of stuff we haven't seen in a long time, or haven't seen evolve.

But it all works out to wanting more of the same. Releasing a POP game that is the same as the first game is not an evolution, it is just bringing back the old. That is fine but it reads odd when the criticism you put out was about games doing more or less the same thing, however you are fine with bringing back the old.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41562 Posts

That will never happen.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Litchie

@Pedro: Yeah, I suppose I could word myself better. Or think more. :P

Just saying, bringing back the old isn't "doing the same thing" as much as doing another metroidvania is for me, since very few developers are currently bringing back the old, while a ton of them are making metroidvanias. Wouldn't necessarily want Sands of Time 2, but I think they had really fun gameplay there which they abandoned, and I'd like to see that being brought back and built upon. 3D platformers overall have taken a back seat, and Sands of Time is one of the most fun ones.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#68 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@Litchie: 👍🏽

Poarstman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Poarstman
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

I'd like to see more games apply more gameplay adaptive difficulty like how Rachet and clank does.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3096 Posts

@Pedro said:

I can't speak on PoP (never played), but I assume it's similar to how I feel about the difference between Halo CE multiplayer and Halo 2, and on. They had a great base, a solid framework, but changed enough for the sequel that it didn't hit the same way. Then the rest of the Halos built off the newer frame. It won't happen, but I would love to see how Halo would've turned out, had they turned left instead of right.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Litchie
@dimebag667 said:
@Pedro said:

I can't speak on PoP (never played), but I assume it's similar to how I feel about the difference between Halo CE multiplayer and Halo 2, and on. They had a great base, a solid framework, but changed enough for the sequel that it didn't hit the same way. Then the rest of the Halos built off the newer frame. It won't happen, but I would love to see how Halo would've turned out, had they turned left instead of right.

Imo, there really wasn't a need to change the gameplay from Sands of Time in Warrior Within as they did. As with Halo for you, I would greatly have preferred them to evolve what they did in Sands of Time than whatever the hell Warrior Within was. Sands of Time had this great platforming, chill atmosphere, great puzzles and puzzle like combat, nice lighthearted humor, while Warrior Within was more a typical hack n slash action game with an emo theme. Very boring of them to do that. I think the third game (Two Thrones?) was better than the second, but still not close to Sands of Time good.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6458 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@last_lap said:

Gaming for me peaked in the Dreamcast generation, from the 360 generation onwards it has only gotten worse.

This generation was the first generation that I didn't buy a console day 1. I didn't buy a Series X until 2022.

I've spent more money on retro stuff in the last 2yrs.

I'm over the custscenes, walking segments, video game stories in general.

All understandable. Each console series certainly has its own charm. While this console generation does seem like more of the same with prettier graphics. It's a "pro" generation more than anything.

What are your favourite games from the Dreamcast gen?

Too many to mention so I will just post 2 low quality (sorry took it in artificial light) photos of my Dreamcast collection.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Would like more arcade racers it seems every racing game coming is sim.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

I think we can all agree. ;o

Those with GamePass are, everyone else eh, not so much. :P

Spelamera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Spelamera
Member since 2024 • 72 Posts

will always want new and better games, yes games can always get better so no my desires is not met

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 R4gn4r0k

@spelamera said:

will always want new and better games, yes games can always get better so no my desires is not met

Games today have refined gameplay, sprawling open world and the most beautiful graphics imaginable. If you still feel games could improve, that's wonderful.

Gaming has always been in constant evolution.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 R4gn4r0k
@last_lap said:

Too many to mention so I will just post 2 low quality (sorry took it in artificial light) photos of my Dreamcast collection.

Not sure what happened in my country but I blinked and completely missed out on both Saturn and Dreamcast.

I have tried some games over the years like Power Stone (huge fan of Smash Bros), Crazy Taxi, Soul Calibur and even some GTA 2 on Dreamcast. That's a nice collection you got there!! Always like seeing what games people grew up with.