Do you prefer turn based or action based RPG combat?

• 57 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you prefer turn based or action based RPG combat? (54 votes)

Turn based 57%
Action based 43%

I will say, when a turn based game is done right, like in Octopath Traveler 2, it's awesome. I think Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth also had some great ideas with turn based combat. On the other hand, it could feel great to hack n slash and feel the action. FF16, tho flawed in some ways, was a cool vision for how an RPG could be, even tho some people will say it's an action game. I think some could also argue that Elden Ring is an action RPG, which I think is true. So there's definitely great examples of both turn based and action based RPGS. Which one do you prefer, SW?

• 
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46350 Posts

Yeah sometimes turn based games can be done alright, I think Paper Mario had my favourite system.

But overall I just don't like turn based, it feels contrived and unrealistic (for lack of a better word).

It's the main reasn why I haven't played Into the Breach, eventhough I think I would really like the game.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

Action, had enough of TB in the 80's and 90's for a lifetime. lol :P

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#3  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24936 Posts

Sick of every games getting RPG elements. can we get proper action game for once?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34628 Posts

I prefer action over turn based.

I do want to check out Octopath Traveler 2 though, looks nice. Too bad it's from Square Enix with their crazy prices.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1061 Posts

I guess I like both. When done right, action can be good, like Elden Ring. When done right, turn based can be good, like Chrono Trigger.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7239 Posts

Definitely action RPG just could never get to grips with turn based.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R4gn4r0k

@ghosts4ever said:

Sick of every games getting RPG elements. can we get proper action game for once?

Literally just released.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Depends on the game for me. The FF series for example traditionally had turn based combat and it was one of the defining elements of what made a FF game for me. Id prefer it if the newer FF games were also turn based, other than the familiar GF characters they bring back to every game, they just dont feel like FF games any more.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: lol Octopath traveler 2 is ok I guess.

If you want the best turned based gameplay to blow your socks off in this current market place landscape you need to discover the ATELIER series and games.

This is a turn based JRPG that started in 1997 on PS1 that even I didn't discover until this generation on PSN store.

First game I simply tried out was Atelier Escha and Logy (PS3 version) which was free for PS Plus because I wasn't sure If I'd even like it, and boy let me tell you it (including multiple games from this series) was better than I played this generation. I subsequently went back and not only purchased the updated DX version, but EVERY title I could find on the PS store and there are a ton of them lol.

Not only have I spent the most time of any games playing this titles over any other games this gen, but they are BY FAR the most fun and entertaining games I've played in years.

Currently playing the newer Atelier Sophie 2. 15hrs in an still unlocking tutorial parts. Games are are massive with multiple endings.

Try Escha and Logy free in PS Plus....thank me later.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 672 Posts

Definitely turn-based.

Although FF7R shows how you can mix the two well. You can also play it as an action only or turn-based only game.

I wonder with the more powerful machines we could get a game that gives you the choice between playing a game action based or turn based in the same way as some games allows you to play either first or third person. Maybe like FF7R but with two differently dined systems to choose from.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1866 Posts

It depends. Turn based works for some games. It works for Pokemon and it works for Octopath Traveler.

Though I'm most games, I tend to prefer action based.

AnurKamar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AnurKamar
Member since 2024 • 2 Posts

I like both options. But if I have to choose, I'm still in favor of turn-based games. It's more interesting to me)

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#13  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10590 Posts

I can play both, but probably prefer action. Easier to get into.

However, I would also say that neither engage me as much as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2/Dragon Age style real-time pause-and-command. I grew up on RTSs, and these are basically RPGs with RTS elements.

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Action it is the best - Bethesda and Fable RPG have perfect combat and no body is makeing the old turn base - it was the limit of the old console but it can be easy to make action now days.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Action overall, but I don't mind a good turn based game like Sea of Stars.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k

@madrocketeer said:

However, I would also say that neither engage me as much as Baldur's Gate 1 & 2/Dragon Age style real-time pause-and-command. I grew up on RTSs, and these are basically RPGs with RTS elements.

Kotor has this too, right?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44094 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@madrocketeer said:

Mass Effects greatly improved upon KOTORs which were great for its time and I'm hoping ME4 will stay with those same combat mechanics. ;)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 R4gn4r0k

@SecretPolice said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@madrocketeer said:

Mass Effects greatly improved upon KOTORs which were great for its time and I'm hoping ME4 will stay with those same combat mechanics. ;)

Thinking about playing KOTOR I and II for the first time. I really enjoyed the Mass Effect games and I love Star Wars.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#19 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10590 Posts
@R4gn4r0k said:

A very simplified version of it, yes.

Quite frankly, I just queued up 3 of that melee skill that attacked 4 times in a round until everything dies.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie  Online

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Literally just released. (Helldivers 2)

He doesn't play any multi-player games for some reason. Barely plays anything, really.

What he really should've said is "can we get a proper single-player FPS action game starring a male with big muscles and raspy voice with a darker theme geared towards teenagers/adults for once?"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44224 Posts

Don’t really have a preference to honest, enjoy them both. Have always enjoyed action ones such as the Tales of and Xenoblade games. Final Fantasy VII Remake and Final Fantasy XVI have fantastic action gameplay. Have always loved the pace of turn based.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16542 Posts

prefer the strategy of turn based games to the hack and slash of action rpg, but both of them can be good.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16008 Posts

Turn based, like in Pokemon and Fire Emblem.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@Litchie said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Literally just released. (Helldivers 2)

He doesn't play any multi-player games for some reason. Barely plays anything, really.

What he really should've said is "can we get a proper single-player FPS action game starring a male with big muscles and raspy voice with a darker theme geared towards teenagers/adults for once?"

Nobody bought it and I'm sure Ghosts didn't buy it either.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7290 Posts

Action. I do like some turn based games, but usually they have to put some kind of spin on it that adds in tactical elements (Grandia), or makes you think fast (Baten Kaitos). I get bored of the three people standing in a row, taking turns navigating menus.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24936 Posts
@Litchie said:

look whos talking LOL!!.

you dislike every game that is not nintendo game at all. even bash games without playing.

@Litchie said:

you almost describe FEAR.

but yes we finally get

Robocop game. Pure action FPS that remind me of 00s games.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5256 Posts

I used to like turn-based RPGs, but lost the interest after playing Fire Emblem Engage last year. One of the things I disliked about turned-based RPGs is that most things are stat-based, especially if it involes percentages (e.g. why I usually miss hitting an enemy early in the game but improve my hitting accuracy latter in the game by level grinding). Another thing is that battles are not realistic (player, enemy, or computer-controlled ally take turns) and do not reflect how battles are fought in the real world.

timemasheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 timemasheen
Member since 2015 • 486 Posts

I like both a lot. I like all kinds of games and there is no perfect system or idea. Everything has flaws, you have to just have fun with it anyway.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23931 Posts

It is not as simple as turn based or real time being good. As much as it depends on surrounding context.

Turn Based Combat can make good encounter design truly shine as you have to really take in the encounters, and its intricacies, but it can quickly become a slog if the encounter design is poor.

In Action Combat, Encounter design is nowhere near as important as having solid base mechancis are. In fact, a game can get away with procedurally generated encounters if thet mechanics are good enough. See Mount and Blade. They are more dependent on having solid mechanics over anything else.

For turn based,

Baldurs Gate 3 had poor encounter design, which made the turn based combat a snooze. Fire Emblem Engage had good encounter design, which made the game a joy to play.

For action,

Diablo has very weak combat mechanics, making for a very dull game. Ys on the other hand, has combat mechanics on par with GOOD action games, making the game a very solid experience.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#30 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2569 Posts

I prefer it turn based, I enjoy them more when you get to analyze every possible outcome and take your time to act accordingly.

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 911 Posts

Turn based.

Paper Mario very good. Child of Light had fun strategy to it. Final Fantasy, etc.

Although not my favorite that enemies can take multiple turns while you are menu-ing. Kinda a flawed system imo

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

I prefer turn based. I hate when I have to mash the button 1000 times like a dumb ape. It makes Kingdom Hearts unplayable for me nowadays.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6100 Posts

Turn based.

"Action" is just a hack n slash game with rpg elements like Elden Ring.

Don't get me wrong as I do enjoy the odd hack n slash game, but compared to turn based they aren't rpg's.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22716 Posts

It depends on many factors more than just turn based or action. My favorite set up is mass effect trilogy. Full scale real time combat with squad commands and the ability to pause and strstegize mid fight... Perfect.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Litchie  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

look whos talking LOL!!.

you dislike every game that is not nintendo game at all. even bash games without playing.

Yeah, I've been enjoying the Nintendo game Helldivers 2 a lot lately. And yeah, bashing games you've never played is something you have never done, wish I could be as pure as you.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Last_Lap

@TheEroica: Mass Effect isn't an rpg though, if we're being serious it's a third person shooter with rpg elements.

And yes I have played and completed all 3 ME games (we don't talk about Andromeda) so yes I understand the games.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22716 Posts
@last_lap said:

@TheEroica: Mass Effect isn't an rpg though, if we're being serious it's a third person shooter with rpg elements.

And yes I have played and completed all 3 ME games (we don't talk about Andromeda) so yes I understand the games.

Isn't the question in the thread about turn based or action style RPG? It's labeled as an action rpg and I suppose we can break down the hybrid nature of the action and the rpg, but it's still an action rpg with real time action as opposed to turn based.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61491 Posts

Either/or as long as they're done well. I don't think I have a real preference nowadays.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#39 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

I prefer good combat.🤷🏽‍♂️

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Last_Lap

@TheEroica said:
@last_lap said:

Isn't the question in the thread about turn based or action style RPG? It's labeled as an action rpg and I suppose we can break down the hybrid nature of the action and the rpg, but it's still an action rpg with real time action as opposed to turn based.

I'm a big fan of the ME games, all i'm saying is they're not rpg's action or otherwise. It's like every game that isn't a fighting or racing game is labelled an rpg. The lines have been blurred beyond recognition.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15932 Posts

While I do play a lot of JRPG and SRPG, I honestly prefer action. This simply due to action game tends to end quicker. I love my jrpg but sometimes I just want to move on and I can't cause I am a trophy whore and jrpg trophy unlock requirements tends to be excruciatingly long.

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1350 Posts

Both can be very fun if done well. I find a lot of the final fantasy games involving turn based combat want you to defeat enemies in a very specific way which is annoying as opposed to defeating them with your own choice of attacks/spells. Baldur’s gate’s combat is a great example of giving the player freedom to take on battles how they see fit, instead of pigeon holing them to use one solution.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3228 Posts

I like both.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Action is easily the best, i.e. Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Final Fantasy 16 etc.

But turn based like BG3 is vastly superior to something like Witcher 3 and especially Skyrim.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4576 Posts

It depends on the game. I enjoy the battle system in some older JRPG's like FF-X, FF-VI, DQ, and Mana games.

I think the newer system works well too. FF XII doesn't really work if it is turn based. Same with FF XIII. FF XVI may have taken the action to more Devil May Cry levels, but it works for the game.

TheGrat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TheGrat1
Member since 2008 • 4330 Posts

I do not want to have to wait my turn to kick ass.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 744 Posts

Both

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45157 Posts

@above_average said:

@SolidGame_basic: lol Octopath traveler 2 is ok I guess.

If you want the best turned based gameplay to blow your socks off in this current market place landscape you need to discover the ATELIER series and games.

This is a turn based JRPG that started in 1997 on PS1 that even I didn't discover until this generation on PSN store.

First game I simply tried out was Atelier Escha and Logy (PS3 version) which was free for PS Plus because I wasn't sure If I'd even like it, and boy let me tell you it (including multiple games from this series) was better than I played this generation. I subsequently went back and not only purchased the updated DX version, but EVERY title I could find on the PS store and there are a ton of them lol.

Not only have I spent the most time of any games playing this titles over any other games this gen, but they are BY FAR the most fun and entertaining games I've played in years.

Currently playing the newer Atelier Sophie 2. 15hrs in an still unlocking tutorial parts. Games are are massive with multiple endings.

Try Escha and Logy free in PS Plus....thank me later.

hmmm.. not seeing it free on PS Plus. ah well, drowning in games at the moment lol playing Like a Dragon and then switching over to FF7 Rebirth.. and then if I ever have time, go back to Baldur's Gate 3 and start Persona 3 Reload lol

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#49 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I enjoyed turn based games as a kid a bit. As I grew up the thought of sitting by and waiting for my enemies to get their turn to hit me is asinine. It’s trash.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#50 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

I enjoyed turn based games as a kid a bit. As I grew up the thought of sitting by and waiting for my enemies to get their turn to hit me is asinine. It’s trash.

Then there is opportunities to improve the execution. No?