Halo Infinite or DOOM Eternal - which is the better game?

• 110 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By SolidGame_basic

Poll Halo Infinite or DOOM Eternal - which is the better game? (87 votes)

Halo Infinite 60%
DOOM Eternal 40%

I would say Halo's multi-player puts it up top. DOOM Eternal also felt spammy to me where Halo's feels more tactical. What so you think, SW? Halo Infinite or DOOM Eternal - which is the better game?

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39389 Posts

If i was iD, i would be offended by this comparison. Eternal is arguably (if you disagree, that's fine, you're just wrong) the best fps that we've seen in five plus years. Infinite feels like a game that began development about 15 years ago, got canned, and then released in 2021 for some unknown reason. Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever were equally as outdated for their release dates, and that, that demands some time for our fellow lems to let it sink in. If this is their 10 years plan 🙄

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11663 Posts

Eternal

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50615 Posts

Picked Halo to annoy Ghost.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Doom eternal, halo runs like ass on PC also looks last gen.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

You can play Doom Eternal on the Switch and ps4 so that gives it a few points above Halo. Though I'm sure Infinite's campaign is awesome. Eternal had some pretty cool dlc episodes too, plus you can play Doom 1 and 2.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

I havent played Halo Infinite fully... but Eternal is the best FPS Ive ever played. Ive played a lot of Halo in the past and it does not have the momentum and feeling of a running riot you get from Doom Eternal.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I only really liked the music in the Doom games. The gameplay is probably more dated than anything in Halo Infinite. I would pick Titanfall 1 and 2 over both of those.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17849 Posts

I vote Halo Infinite just because the gameplay loop of Doom Eternal totally turned me off. The focus on attrition and close encounters is not Doom to me. I enjoyed Doom 2016, but I am yet to finish Doom Eternal. Halo Infinite is a good game that stays true to the roots of the series (which is still enjoyable) and expanded upon it in good ways.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Halo: Infinite gets my vote. Do enjoy Doom Eternal though. Still need to finish it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 hardwenzen  Online

You don't want to see it. I don't want to see it, but this is the reality we live in, and we need to accept facts.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Haven't played enough Infinite to make an opinion, but the movement-offense balance seems a lot better than anything 343 has done before. I think all of that is even better in Eternal though.

The thing about Eternal is that it feels less like an FPS and more like a first person action game with guns. Less about shooting tactics, and more about shooting combos.

I think Infinite will be the better game in the long run, particularly because the multiplayer isn't complete shit.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58421 Posts

Doom.

But TBH I think the games are too different in pacing to really make a fair comparison.

Halo Infinite has adopted the Far Cry formula of open-world gameplay, though I would say it is far more fun than the most recent Far Cry 6 release.

Doom Eternal is a linear, fast-paced shooter in the purest form.

If the question is "what's the better shooter" I'd say Doom; the shooting is tighter, it gets a physical reaction from the player when you experience it; there is the twitch-based reflex aspect to it, but it also has a pretty deep strategic layer to it as well. When you play Doom, it's a real flood of feelings from all directions: instinct, thought, pressure, adrenaline, panic, rush of victory, disappointment of failure, resolve to try again...few games make you feel as much as Doom does.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

I voted Halo Infinite because I prefer a good story in my games

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vl4d_l3nin

@navyguy21 said:

Yeah, that too. Eternal felt like it was written by a maladjusted teenager.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I didn't like Doom Eternal at all. So far Halo started off a bit boring but its getting better, though I'm not sure what's going on because I haven't played any Halo game past Halo 3. I'm not experiencing any performance issues in the PC version, but I do have a good PC.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen  Online

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@navyguy21 said:

And not infinite? 343i is one of the worst at writing anything. Neither of these two games have a good story. The difference is that a story to a Doom game never even made sense, while there's a ton of story telling and lore in the Halo universe.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@navyguy21: Good story and Halo have never been spoken in the same sentence, highly doubt that's changed.

IAmTheTruth101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 IAmTheTruth101
Member since 2021 • 262 Posts

Ahhh it's nice that Microsoft is the only first party with quality shooters

Meanwhile Sony is ready to deliver some 70 rated doo doo FPS from some no name dookie devs

Victory for MS

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1352 Posts

I just love the Doom series and it’s history, it’s the OG fps so it gets my vote.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

I enjoyed both, eternal is the faster game. The guns and movement feel really good. However I hate glory hole kills. Where the demons glow bright blue and orange which makes you complete the daunting task of walking up to them, pressing 1 button and then watch an animation of doom guy rip demon apart with his bare hands.

If it wasn't for the glory hole kills (go to hell john carmack) I'd give it to doom for SP. But because this mechanic exists Halo gets my vote.

Also Halo MP is great while doom eternals is a joke.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

I feel like it's really a gameplay comparison at the end of the day IMO. I'm not sure I would buy arguments that the story aspect of Doom: Eternal is that solid, or that the set pieces were that impressive. Similarly, after finishing Halo: Infinite not too long ago, the open-world is completely disjointed from its campaign, and to me, that game is more of a Sandbox than an open-world, to be honest.

That isn't to speak badly of either, both are in my top 5 shooters as of now in their respective years at the end of the day, but that is primarily due to the gameplay of both. Halo Infinite's open-world (Sandbox really) system and traversal work well despite them feeling a bit shoehorned in (and the grapple hook is absolutely not hit or miss) and the gunplay is the best the series has had in over a decade. Doom: Eternal drew complaints about the platforming and rock-paper-scissors elements to the combat but I think it may edge Halo out slightly as it is an execution of a more focused concept.

Kind of a coin flip for me but still, I'm really enjoying the Halo: Infinite's campaign but Doom: Eternal was my GOTY of that year, and, from what I've played of the Halo campaign so far, it ain't gonna beat it in my eyes.

@vl4d_l3nin said:
@navyguy21 said:

What are you folks talking about? Doom: Eternal has the best Christian story in a long time😏

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

@vfighter said:

@navyguy21: Good story and Halo have never been spoken in the same sentence, highly doubt that's changed.

Maybe I wasn't clear in what I meant but I'll clarify.

I don't mean it has to be a George R. R. Martin epic storyline that's gripping from beginning to end, nore does it have to appeal to everyone.

I've seen bad movies with good writing and characters and good movies with forgettable characters.

Halo, to me, has always had a serviceable to good story wrapped in memorable characters. Not all of them are well written...and not all are well acted......but I remember them. Even Conan O'Brien's weird cameo in Halo 4.

That's what I mean. There is NONE of that in Doom. That doesn't make it a bad game, in fact it's one of the best shooters released.

But, if I had to choose which to play, I'm going to always choose story. That's why my favorite genre is RPGs. I play the good ones and the bad ones, but I still enjoy them to some extent because of the storylines

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 Ghosts4ever  Online
Member since 2015 • 24993 Posts

Eternal by far. Halo infinite gameplay is outdated and combat is too slow compare to Eternal. Beside that infinite is also too cartoonish where as Eternal is mature and badass.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16577 Posts

haven't played doom, its one of those games on my list that I need to get to. But there aren't that many fps games ive played that are better than halo infinite in mechanics, strategy, challenge, visuals and overall fun. The campaign is also excellent, and If I could compare it to anything, it gives me a bad company 2 kind of vibe. The biggest weakness of halo infinite is the story line (again). 343 needs to hire someone that can actually write a damn script that makes sense fucks sake.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

@ghosts4ever: Doom is faster and guns feel great, but glory hole kills hurt it. I hope they take out the orange glow insta kill shit. It's like every other demon you end up doing these things for health. Also eternal mp sad joke of a mode. Halo infinite takes everything that made Halo good and refined it. Halo was always a slower paced fps but infinite is quicker than past entries. Doom 2016 and eternal did the same for doom, taking what worked in doom and refined it. but glory hole kills are not needed. Hope they scrap the glow orange walk up press button and watch animation mechanic in the future. But I have a feeling it's now a staple for series which is a bummer.

Grapple Hook > Glory Hole Kills

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 vl4d_l3nin

@sargentd said:

ya but Meathook > Grapple Hook

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen  Online

@sargentd said:

@ghosts4ever: Doom is faster and guns feel great, but glory hole kills hurt it. I hope they take out the orange glow insta kill shit. It's like every other demon you end up doing these things for health. Also eternal mp sad joke of a mode. Halo infinite takes everything that made Halo good and refined it. Halo was always a slower paced fps but infinite is quicker than past entries. Doom 2016 and eternal did the same for doom, taking what worked in doom and refined it. but glory hole kills are not needed. Hope they scrap the glow orange walk up press button and watch animation mechanic in the future. But I have a feeling it's now a staple for series which is a bummer.

So lets say they were to remove the glory kills. How would you replace them? They give you invul frames, which are very helpful on Nightmare. I don't like them that much, but they have their purpose. Maybe when the enemy is glowing for a glory kill, if you kill it with a weapon in melee proximity, it drops more health/armor? Still, that won't be as helpful as the invulnerability frames.

Priyanshi_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Priyanshi_P
Member since 2021 • 2 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: obviously Halo, big Halo fan...

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

haven't played doom, its one of those games on my list that I need to get to. But there aren't that many fps games ive played that are better than halo infinite in mechanics, strategy, challenge, visuals and overall fun. The campaign is also excellent, and If I could compare it to anything, it gives me a bad company 2 kind of vibe. The biggest weakness of halo infinite is the story line (again). 343 needs to hire someone that can actually write a damn script that makes sense fucks sake.

Jesus! You're actually admitting that its bad? That is a start.

And how exactly is comparing it to BC2 campaign a positive? The actual gameplay in a BC2 singleplayer was garbage, but because BF camapaigns were as shitty as it gets in an fps, some people on copium were telling themselves that it had a good campaign (BC1 campaign was better btw, and that is not saying that it was actually good compared to a proper fps). Campaign was trash. Hearing a few jokes from the crew was the only decent thing on it, but that's no gameplay, and you don't need to suffer through a shitty campaign to hear em, just watch them on youtube or something.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

So far I'm enjoying Halo Infinite but I still prefer Doom Eternal more.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Doom Eternal is the best single player FPS, probably since OG Doom 1 n 2. I'll get more playtime out of Halo Infinite, its a fun multiplayer, and it could be great in a year or 2. But Eternal is already an all time classic.

People who don't like Eternal have bad taste. Don't hold Ghost against that agme, that's not fair, he doesn't even grasp why Eternal is fun in the first place, that fraud.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Hard to say, I really like both. But I think I like Halo just a little but more.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

Haven't played it yet, but there's no way in hell Halo Infinite is better than DOOM Eternal.

But I'd be surprised if Halo doesn't win on CasualSpot.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I like both, I just prefer the approach in game design from Halo. I'm all for emergent gameplay over anything else. Well everything but ass. I really like ass.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said:

Haven't played it yet, but there's no way in hell Halo Infinite is better than DOOM Eternal.

Didnot you vote Halo against Metro? lol talk about casualspot.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

Didnot you vote Halo against Metro? lol talk about casualspot.

Yeah, Halo is more fun than russian Call of Duty, Mr. Casualghost.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said:

only mainstream journalist think that like that who ignore Metro series in every list and all like "OMG Halo, OMG battlefieeld".

Metro is immersive, atmospheric. something Halo can never be since Halo is too cartoonish superheroic.

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Another Xbox studios win

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

only mainstream journalist think that like that who ignore Metro series in every list and all like "OMG Halo, OMG battlefieeld".

Metro is immersive, atmospheric. something Halo can never be since Halo is too cartoonish superheroic.

Sure. An immersive, atmospheric version of Call of Duty.

I also like how "cartoony" is bad in Halo but somehow awesome in DOOM Eternal.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

Halo Infinite but there are no losers here, two amazing games.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

Two great MS ips. ;-)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Doom Eternal is not good game at all. I bought on BF sale for $15 or so, but the game isn't fun. I spent 2 hours playing over 4-5 sessions because it gets stale after half an hour.

Halo: Infinite surely has to be the better game.

AhReQueNoMori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45 AhReQueNoMori
Member since 2020 • 937 Posts

@Chutebox: I always do the same.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Litchie

@Mozelleple112 said:

Doom Eternal is not good game at all. I bought on BF sale for $15 or so, but the game isn't fun. I spent 2 hours playing over 4-5 sessions because it gets stale after half an hour.

Halo: Infinite surely has to be the better game.

It really should be played on PC on high difficulty. And you don't get the full picture of the game unless you unlock the weapons, dash, runes, grenades, etc.

What exactly didn't you like? It's kinda like an FPS version of hack'n'slash. I usually don't like those types of games either, but I don't go around calling Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden, etc. bad games..

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ghosts4ever  Online

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

So when COD had a unique and innovative gasmask system, bullet as currency, tons of exploration, and such?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:

So when COD had a unique and innovative gasmask system, bullet as currency, tons of exploration, and such?

What's "unique", innovative" or "system" about it? You press a button sometimes to put it on and look for filters.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Halo and as usual it's not even close.

TC, I hope your next thread is; TES or Unfarted, which is better. ;o

G'head lol :P

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9831 Posts

Eternal was a disappointment to me, after having really loved doom 2016. Fiddly controls, repetitive gameplay and those inane glory kills.

Halo is pure fun. Haven’t been able to put it down since day one, with both mp and sp top notch.

Halo for me.