IGN: Eight Reasons To Be Excited For Mario Kart 8

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

Those are some good reasons to be excited about the game and it's really boosted my excitement, but there are 3 reasons I remain uninterested

-Blue Shell: devalidating your input in a video game since 1997

-Gliding: this is a mechanic that I felt lessened the enjoyment of the track designs. When you launch off a blue boost, the track becomes a simple straight away. It's far more interesting to stay on the ground handling twists and turns

-Coins: Because I'm not a fan of the rigged nature of the items in the races, I spend most of my time in the time trials of a Mario Kart game. However, in the last game and now this one, they brought coins back in. The problem with this is that the enjoyment of precisely hugging corners or improvising more interesting takes on a track are kind of thrown away in favour of following the path of coins they set for you to speed you up.

Blue shells can be turned off, you don't have to follow the coins, your complaint about gliding is irrelevant, especially given that the track design seems to be more topsy turvy and creative than ever,

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#52  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Those are some good reasons to be excited about the game and it's really boosted my excitement, but there are 3 reasons I remain uninterested

-Gliding: this is a mechanic that I felt lessened the enjoyment of the track designs. When you launch off a blue boost, the track becomes a simple straight away. It's far more interesting to stay on the ground handling twists and turns

-Coins: Because I'm not a fan of the rigged nature of the items in the races, I spend most of my time in the time trials of a Mario Kart game. However, in the last game and now this one, they brought coins back in. The problem with this is that the enjoyment of precisely hugging corners or improvising more interesting takes on a track are kind of thrown away in favour of following the path of coins they set for you to speed you up.

Blue shells can be turned off, you don't have to follow the coins, your complaint about gliding is irrelevant, especially given that the track design seems to be more topsy turvy and creative than ever,

Just mentioning my concerns based off the latest Mario Kart. Can you turn the items off in grand prix mode? It always bothered me that you have to deal with a bunch of randomness to unlock everything in the game. Get hit by a blue shell just before crossing a finish line? Too bad, no 3 star completion and you have to retry the entire circuit for no other reason than the game randomly deciding that this would be the case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Pikminmaniac said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

Just mentioning my concerns based off the latest Mario Kart. Can you turn the items off in grand prix mode? It always bothered me that you have to deal with a bunch of randomness to unlock everything in the game. Get hit by a blue shell just before crossing a finish line? Too bad, no 3 star completion and you have to retry the entire circuit for no other reason than the game randomly deciding that this would be the case.

That's what the latest batch of previews said, that items are fully customizable (like in Smash Bros.)

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@charizard1605: could you link us to that preview? I think an interview hinted at something like it but they could be talking about how it was in mk7 where you could play shells only/bananas only etc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Shinobishyguy said:

@charizard1605: could you link us to that preview? I think an interview hinted at something like it but they could be talking about how it was in mk7 where you could play shells only/bananas only etc

Apologies, this is it:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mario-kart-8-for-wii-u-will-feature-expanded-item-customization/1100-6418753/

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#56  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Mario Kart=yawnfest

If i want a kart racer I'll actually go with the stuff the Sonic racing games do.

Otherwise I'd go for an actual in-depth racing experience.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@charizard1605: yeah it still doesn't say of we can turn off specific items instead of having them all off or only having one type

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I have a strong feeling this is gonna be the best one yet.