Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 23031 Posts

@Star67 said:

@TheEroica: Sony nor Nintendo could buy the largest 3rd party publisher, heck they couldn't even buy the 2nd largest publisher.

What makes the games industry so great is the amount of diversity in it, a lot of different companies making great games and adding to the industry. BUT like with TV and movies feeling all "samey" and Safe after mass studio consolidations (Disney) we could be headed down the same path with games. Do we really want Amazon, Google, Apple, and disney to jump in on this industry? Everything will start to feel the same, and everything is going to have a damn subscription and micro transactions out the ass

Look around! It's already safe. No developers are taking chances on massive budgets. None.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#52 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Like politics, I just don’t get emotional about this stuff. It won’t effect me on a day to day level. I already do not have the time nor money to play all the games I’d like to. I don’t see that changing. There will simply always be enough for me to play in this industry. So I don’t understand what more I’m supposed to want. I don’t care other than that.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#53 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

@TheEroica said:
@Star67 said:

@sargentd: If MS buys them all once Sony and Nintendo bow out of the console space you know you'll be paying $30 or more a month for Game Pass right? You gotta see whats happening here.

This is what happens when non gaming companies get into the gaming industry, they just buy it all up and turn it into shit.

MS is just looking for a market to control that Amazon, Apple, and Google haven't touched yet, because that's the competition that is really scaring MS and they are fleeing to the one industry they can still just buy with their windows money.

That's a little dramatic no? Sony owns and operates several studios of exclusive content on their own.... Its the way they wanted the industry to be.

Microsoft IS as much a gaming company as Sony... No different whatsoever. Nintendo is the only one of the three that is primarily gaming based. Sony is like a less successful Microsoft, both with several divisions of products.

Gamepass is unique.... So even right now it has no competition to speak of.

Excuse me? MS has a near monopoly on PC operating systems, it's been that way for decades. Sony nor Nintendo have ever come that close to controlling an industry

You talk about MS earning their right to do this with 2 decades in gaming.....but have they really? They never won a generation with Xbox (Sorry the 360 lost to the wii and the PS3 ended catching up towards the end) Has the gaming division EVER turned a profit?

When the going got tough, The MS gaming division asked for money from daddy windows and bought it's way back in.

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 309 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@joshrmeyer said:

I don't think when gamers were asking MS for more 1st party exclusives they meant buying games already coming to xbox. Guess MS bought the 1st place trophy instead of earning it 🤷‍♂️.

Oh please.... 🙄 ya know what it's called when you spend two decades bringing along a new gaming device and go up along side established gaming companies? earning it. No games, no franchises and every silly fanboy in existence rooting for you to fail (because fanboys are pathetic) yet 20 plus years later the stable is developed and the approach is unique and exciting....

all these companies have the money to make changes to the way they do business over time.

Remember when Sony was practically bullying Xbox when Phil Spencer was still getting his feet wet and trying to salvage the shit that Don Mattrick did?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Microsoft is playing the long game with the Xbox

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#55 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5185 Posts

@TheEroica: That's not an argument. You think more consolidation is going to give us more unique games? Just because the industry is a certain way now, doesn't mean we should stop advocating for change.

The way everything is headed, it's going to be GAAS, and always online garbage. At least with sony and nintendo there's some light with good single player games, along with the indie scene.

I don't want to see Sony or Nintendo bought out, but the big tech companies obviously can just swoop in anytime they want and buy themselves into an industry.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
@Star67 said:
@TheEroica said:
@Star67 said:

@sargentd: If MS buys them all once Sony and Nintendo bow out of the console space you know you'll be paying $30 or more a month for Game Pass right? You gotta see whats happening here.

This is what happens when non gaming companies get into the gaming industry, they just buy it all up and turn it into shit.

MS is just looking for a market to control that Amazon, Apple, and Google haven't touched yet, because that's the competition that is really scaring MS and they are fleeing to the one industry they can still just buy with their windows money.

That's a little dramatic no? Sony owns and operates several studios of exclusive content on their own.... Its the way they wanted the industry to be.

Microsoft IS as much a gaming company as Sony... No different whatsoever. Nintendo is the only one of the three that is primarily gaming based. Sony is like a less successful Microsoft, both with several divisions of products.

Gamepass is unique.... So even right now it has no competition to speak of.

Excuse me? MS has a near monopoly on PC operating systems, it's been that way for decades. Sony nor Nintendo have ever come that close to controlling an industry

You talk about MS earning their right to do this with 2 decades in gaming.....but have they really? They never won a generation with Xbox (Sorry the 360 lost to the wii and the PS3 ended catching up towards the end) Has the gaming division EVER turned a profit?

When the going got tough, The MS gaming division asked for money from daddy windows and bought it's way back in.

That's false around every conceivable corner.... Sony is an electronics/tech company that dove into the gaming world.... Microsoft is the same thing. They both made/make computers, mp3 players.... Even cell phones and mp3 players etc.... Both companies come from roots where gaming was not what made them their fortune...

The whole "Ms never won a gen" is no point at all.... Everyone with half a brain knows Microsoft moved the needle far more than the others during the 360 generation... Sony thought no one would want to play online and even said so.... You're new ps5 console is using an online infrastructure that Microsoft planned and executed on the original Xbox, refined on Xbox 360 and Playstation and Nintendo were nowhere to be seen.... If you consider hardware sales as your ticket to be in the industry you're just not paying attention.

Lastly, lol at the daddy comment. It's exactly the way Sony got started with Playstation. Money generated from other products funding something new....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#57 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70539 Posts

@mysticaldonut said:
@Pedro said:

Where were these folks when Sony was actively and perpetually paying to exclude platforms for many games? The gaming media and gamers has been pushing for the active locking of games to hardware. Now, they are surprised by the end results?😂

Like what games? Final Fantasy 7?

Well that wasn't that hard for you to quickly identify one of many. 😂

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Pedro

@Star67 said:

Your bitterness is gourmet. 😂

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#59 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

The problem with monopolies in the gaming world is that the industry becames stagnant, there is no reason to push it further in a way that it is better for us the consumers; case in point EA sports, once they got basically all the market, their games became practically the same thing but with more and more dlc, and even luck based dlc, the now infamous loot boxes.

I sincerely wouldn't go too far to say that Playstation or Nintendo are doomed, but the FPS genre will really take a hit, when CoD and Halo are in the same side, with only Battlefield being a rival.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2506 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@Pedro said:

Where were these folks when Sony was actively and perpetually paying to exclude platforms for many games? The gaming media and gamers has been pushing for the active locking of games to hardware. Now, they are surprised by the end results?😂

Like what games? Final Fantasy 7?

Well that wasn't that hard for you to quickly identify one of many. 😂

There isn't enough to compete with the amount of multiplat games just purchased by Microsoft

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#61 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17465 Posts

@adsparky: Call of Duty and Battlefield were ruined just competing with each other, how could it possibly get worse?

At least now they won't be competing with each other and will actually have time to make a proper game

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Pedro

@mysticaldonut said:

There isn't enough to compete with the amount of multiplat games just purchased by Microsoft

Here is the issue I have with folks like yourself. You all literally celebrate when Sony makes multi-platform games exclusive and celebrate when Sony indefinitely locks third party games to their system (one system). However, when MS with deeper pockets decides to participate in the same practice, you all are calling foul. Sorry, I don't care for your shill tears.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 SargentD  Online
Member since 2020 • 8412 Posts

@Star67: @Star67: bro it's not that serious, Activision and Blizzard have been on the downswing anyway, this isn't going to stifle any creativity, blizzard has been creatively bankrupt since the Activision merger. Gamepass model will work better for Blizzard IPs than the current situation they have been in.

Blizzard has been dog shit since the Activision merger, I'm not throwing no fits over this. This can't make blizzard any worse than they currently are. Worse case scenario is the games suck ass which they already sucked ass with Activision merger. This is a good thing imo. Give MS the reigns, instead of the Activision model that is just throwing out time crunched yearly rushed releases. This might be the best thing ever to happen for these franchises. I'm being serious. Worst case scenario they still suck. But who cares, they have already been sucking.

Brilliant Strategic buy for MS. Come in, clean house, build solid content for Xbox/PC gamepass.

StarCraft 3 gamepass day 1.

THANK GOD MS BOUGHT THEM AND NOT EA.

Pardon me, I needed to get that off my chest

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 SargentD  Online

@goldenelementxl: Activision/Blizzard merger has totally sucked.

MS buying them out while they have been sucking might make them suck less.

Maybe Blizzard games can be good again, maybe COD won't be rushed so hard with the copy paste setting change yearly release. I could give a shit less. It's not like Activition/blizzard has been this awesome creative company treating their IPs with respect. They have been the exact opposite. I only see a positive gain here.

Worst case scenario is the games still suck but atleast if I want to try one it's on gamepass. The more likely scenerio is the games will get better and be day 1 gamepass.

That's good for me as a paying customer if I get to play better games at a cheaper price. I am actually very optimistic about this. Having Activition/blizzard just keep chugging along as usual is a zero sum gain for me. Who really thinks we win as consumers by having them continue the way they have been? We don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I personally don't think any mass consolidation in an industry is good for creativity or the consumer in the long run. Just look at Disney in the film industry. Three dozen copy and paste superhero movies and a star wars franchise run into the ground.

I get that Activision blizzard's name has been tainted, but Microsoft's entire "good guy" persona the last few years is a direct result of years of their own tainted anti-consumer corporation persona. No corporate conglomerate is, or will ever be your buddy. And seeing as how Microsoft just tried to double the price of Xbox live last year to push gamepass ultimate subs and retracted after backlash, I don't see them caring about backlash when they buy half the AAA market. I'm willing to bet gamepass will get a price hike in the next year or two, because just like Netflix, once you have a sizable chunk of the market, your dive to be competitive dies down in favor of profit revenue.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

LOL at the notion that any of this has anything to do with gamers demanding exclusivity. It has everything to do with Game Pass. Microsoft has the only game subscription service that is actually a great deal for the consumer and they want to have a monopoly on that type of service 10 years from now when consoles no longer exist. Companies like Activision (battle.net), EA (EA Plus), Ubisoft (Ubisoft+), Nintendo (whatever they call their crappy retro subscription) and Sony (PS Now) are (or were, in Activision's case) their direct competition. This is just a good old fashioned corporate takeover, a pre-emptive strike, if you will, to set Microsoft up to be the leader in the upcoming ruining of video gaming. We should all hate them for who they are and what they stand for. In the short term, it's not like Activision games are going to get any worse, and they will be a whole lot cheaper to get into, being on game pass and all.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@daredevils2k said:

It was cute at first. When Xbox head Phil Spencer took the stage at E3 2018 and announced the acquisition of five notable studios – Undead Labs, Playground Games, Ninja Theory, Compulsion Games and The Initiative – the air inside the Microsoft Theater turned electric. It felt like the company was righting a wrong in its business plan and finally building an internal roster of exciting games that it could offer exclusively on Xbox platforms. You know, a few friends to keep Master Chief company.

Today’s announcement that Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard, the largest third-party publisher in the video game industry, doesn’t feel as harmless. Four years on and numerous acquisitions later, the Activision Blizzard deal feels like an extreme escalation of Microsoft’s plans, and it could mark a turning point in the video game industry as a whole, with negative consequences for both players and developers.

So far, public reaction to the acquisition has been mixed, which makes sense for a few reasons: first, Activision Blizzard's sheer size is daunting, and this purchase represents more money and industry power than Microsoft's previous gaming acquisitions combined. Second, Activision Blizzard is currently the subject of multiple investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and gender discrimination at the studio, where CEO Bobby Kotick has been in charge and largely unchecked for the past 30 years. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Kotick is poised to leave the company in a golden parachute once the Microsoft deal goes through.

This is the first time Microsoft has received a confused response to acquisition news, rather than outright praise, and that's because this isn't a standard transaction. It's the clearest sign yet that we're in the video game industry's era of consolidation.

Back in 2017, Microsoft was badly losing the first-party IP fight to Sony and Nintendo. By the end of that year, Xbox had shut down two of its internal studios, Lionhead and Press Play, it had killed a fewhotly anticipated projects, and even with the Xbox Series X right around the corner, there wasn’t much to look forward to in the company’s software reserves. The acquisition announcement at E3 2018 was a sigh of relief for anxious Xbox fans.

By February 2019, Microsoft had 13 studios and publishing organizations under the banner of Xbox Game Studios.

And then in September 2020, Microsoft revealed it was buying ZeniMax Media, the parent company of Bethesda, id Software, Arkane Studios and Tango Gameworks. The gaming world generally rejoiced, but a few folks also started glancing around, suspicious. These studios were a big deal – the stewards of Fallout, Doom, Dishonored, Wolfenstein, Deathloop, Starfield and Elder Scrolls – and they were being added to Microsoft’s substantial pile of medium-sized companies, more names in a growing list. That alone was cause for pause.

For most fans, the main question was, what did the acquisition mean for games like The Elder Scrolls VI, which was part of a series that historically hit PlayStation and Xbox platforms alike? Basically, would Elder Scrolls VI come to PS4 and PS5?

Turns out, probably not.

One year after Microsoft’s purchase of Bethesda, Spencer told GQthat he believed the Xbox ecosystem was the best place for all of the franchises in the studio’s repertoire, including The Elder Scrolls VI. He all but confirmed it would be exclusive to Xbox.

“It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow,” Spencer told GQ. “But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.”

Starfield, Bethesda’s sci-fi RPG built for the ninth console generation, will definitely be exclusive to Xbox Series X/S and PC, skipping PS5 entirely. Spencer’s comments make it clear that Xbox is eyeing exclusivity for its franchises, and after today’s $69 billion deal goes through, that’s going to include Activision Blizzard games.

Activision Blizzard is the largest third-party publisher in gaming, and it’s the owner of massive franchises including Call of Duty, Overwatch, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone and Candy Crush. As a third-party studio, Activision Blizzard has been able to negotiate with the main platform holders to get its software on the consoles and devices it wants. This doesn’t always equate to same-day launches or in-game item equity, but generally speaking, this position has helped ensure Activision Blizzard games reach as many players on as many platforms as possible. Exclusivity agreements and distribution deals are the main source of competition in the industry at this point, allowing outside developers to advocate for their games without feeling beholden to any console owner in particular.

When a platform holder becomes the largest publisher in gaming, it flips the script completely. It jams the script into a shredder, burns the scraps to ash, condenses the ash into stone, and then throws that to the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

Let’s take Call of Duty, a series with predictable annual installments, for example. Over the years, Activision has shifted allegiances between Microsoft and Sony, offering early access and exclusive game modes to Xbox platforms, then PlayStation, and mixing it up along the way. Among all the backroom talks, bad blood and better offers, it’s always been up to Activision to cut the best deal for Call of Duty, console holders be damned.

After the acquisition, that negotiation looks entirely different, if it even exists at all. As the owner of Call of Duty, Microsoft can tell Sony to screw off, keeping one of the industry’s biggest franchises exclusive to Xbox platforms.

This likely won’t happen right away, but it’s certainly a possibility down the line. In his blog post about the acquisition, Xbox’s Spencer didn’t address Sony or Nintendo platforms specifically, but he alluded to the possibility of cross-platform support for Activision Blizzard’s franchises.

“Activision Blizzard games are enjoyed on a variety of platforms and we plan to continue to support those communities moving forward,” he said, without detailing what he meant by “platforms” or “support.” Keep in mind, this was the messaging around Elder Scrolls VI at first, too.

Microsoft isn’t the only company in the midst of a studio-hoarding spree: Sony picked up its 13th internal studio, Housemarque, in June 2021, while Tencent is chugging along with ownership of Riot Games, financial stakes in a handful of massive studios, and the purchase of LittleBigPlanet 3 developer Sumo Group in July 2021. Even Valve has scooped up a handful of independent creators in recent years, including the team behind Firewatch and some members of Kerbal Space Program.

Microsoft’s purchase of Activision Blizzard simply feels like the final push into a new era for the video game industry: consolidation.

While exclusivity deals may be the short-term concern, this trend has a longer and more tragic tail. It’s highly likely that there will be more acquisitions by Microsoft, Sony and other major names in gaming, and these deals and subsequent companies will only get bigger with time. With just a few massive studios controlling a huge chunk of the software pipeline, it could instill a sense of homogeneity among new titles, killing innovation as each developer attempts to conform to the corporate environment around them, actively or subconsciously.

Even with “creative freedom” built into their contracts, the acquired studios will all use the same QA process, funding arrangement, marketing plan, management structure and editing cycle; they’ll have the same bosses and face the same oversight. And when all new products are the result of a singular perspective, they’re bound to feel familiar. Stale, even. Boring.

Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard is an escalation of the exclusivity scheme, and it represents a new way of doing business. Now and for years to come, consolidation is the name of the game.

Maybe one day we’ll get Consolidation 2: Blow It All Up And Make Everything Indie Again, but that one might have trouble finding a publisher.

Well that was fast, a lot of game media world is already seeing gaming as we know dead, thanks to MS keeping gaming to one system. I guess innovation is dead as we know it, because one company is now trying to own the whole gaming world. I guess coming in 3rd place each gen didn't make MS a happy camper lol

https://www.engadget.com/microsoft-xbox-activision-blizzard-consolidation-exclusives-222028443.html

same was said of netflix but instead the pushed the movie rental business in favor of the consumer with better value and variety then old B&M stores and still wound up with competitors like prime, hulu, etc and more coming along like peacock, paramount +, etc.

The reality is competition is good for all and MS is doing it in a way that is very consumer friendly. the netflix model. own all the biggest games, then allow anyone to play them on practically any device for 1 monthly fee thats very resonable.

netflix for example has 214million paid memberships at about 15 a month = 3.2 billion a year revenue. which allows them to make original content, and add more to their service, and turn a huge profit. their company 3rd Q 2021 said they had 1.4 billion in profits. MS wants to make gaming accessible for anyone for a monthly fee without the need of buying their console, or buying any highpowered hardware really where you can stream it on a cheap laptop, PC, phone, tablet etc. you just need internet and a controller. It makes the price of entry extremely low. compared to say buying an XB or PS at 500 bucks, plus a 60 a year sub, plus say 3 60 dollar games you are looking at an upfront cost of 740.00 for 3 games and 1 year online play. where with the MS model for 740 bucks you can get 49 months of playing from 100s of games all you want on virtually any device. Including all the new MS games day 1 which now includes games like halo, forza, gears, sea of theives, fallout, doom, starfield, call of duty, overwatch, diablo to name a few.

in the older days the walled garden of consoles made sense. you had gens because hardware was different, the playable media was different, everything was different. now consoles are basically mass produced gaming PCs with limitations but sold at a budget compared to PC prices these days and only exist as a vessel instead of a walled garden which is good for everyone. even sony who is the most stubborn company is seeing the light a little and adding games to PC.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Pedro

You do know you can delete the original post instead of posting it in your comment.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts
@TheEroica said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@TheEroica said:
@blessedbyhorus said:
@judaspete said:

I was excited when they were buying smaller, underrated developers. The prospect of passionate, creative underdogs being given the financial backing of MS after years of setbacks and downgraded ambitions, seemed like a dream I never thought would come true.

Then they bought Bethesda and I felt they took it a step too far.

Then this... this...

...this.

Yea as an Xbox fan I'm no longer excited about this. Makes me either wanna switch ships or retire from gaming. NOT liking where this is heading.

You'd retire from gaming because of this? huh? that doesn't even make sense.

Screw industry consolidation. I'm good.

This is what this hobby has been fetishizing about for 20 years.... Every fanboy dweeb talking shit about their companies exclusive games created this culture. We should've been clamoring for a unified piece of hardware that could play everything, but not our crew of fanboys.... We want the exclusive game and then we want to rub it in to people who can't play it....

Just one gen ago people were saying "there's no point to Xbox they got now games!!" that was the baramoter of success this hobby levied at Microsoft.

Don't like the way they responded? It's too bad.... We set this culture in motion.

it's funny. I said years ago the hardcore sony fans are just screwing themselves. They thought they were "keeping sony on top" and helping them grow and shitting on xbox. Instead it made them stagnant. it also made MS double down on gaming and go hard at turning it into a huge profit maker for them.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#70 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

@adsparky: Call of Duty and Battlefield were ruined just competing with each other, how could it possibly get worse?

At least now they won't be competing with each other and will actually have time to make a proper game

I don't know how, but these companies have surprised in a bad way constantly, so it definitely could get worse.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8420 Posts

The shift in narrative by these very same people is hilarious:

Xbox has 5 first party studios

"having exclusives is the most important factor for success"

Xbox has 30+ first party studios

"this is bad for gaming"

Bottomline: People told Microsoft/Xbox that exclusive content is the end-all-be-all.. Microsoft listened..

/discussion

The sad part is that if this was PlayStation or Nintendo, these games would definitely be tied to one plastic box.. at least with Xbox, these games are available on $299 consoles, $499 consoles, PCs, and cloud streaming via a combination of direct purchase or subscription..

if you want to play these games, you can.. heck, the narrative used to be, "if you want to play these games, just get a PS4 🤷🏽‍♂️", right?.. keep that same energy..

firedrakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#72  Edited By firedrakes
Member since 2004 • 4391 Posts

ok this i did not expect to see.

@madrocketeer said:

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Who?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3418 Posts

@zaryia: The difference is Sony MADE those games. Why is that hard for Lems to comprehend?

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Sagemode87

@TheEroica: I would have the same attitude if Sony bought A/B. Having something as big as COD exclusive would make them complacent and not give new ips. I think you'd have a different perspective if Sony bought Take 2, not saying they can but you get my point.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Sagemode87
@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Here is the issue I have with folks like yourself. You all literally celebrate when Sony makes multi-platform games exclusive and celebrate when Sony indefinitely locks third party games to their system (one system). However, when MS with deeper pockets decides to participate in the same practice, you all are calling foul. Sorry, I don't care for your shill tears.

Get off your high horse. No one gives a rats ass if you care about their "tears"or or not. To call buying Insomniac and House Marque the same as buying Activision and Bethesda is laughable. To say that is disingenuous at best. If MS continues this practice, guess they'll buy their way to being market leader. Don't complain when Gamepass is 50 bucks a month. Lems are to blame for cheerleading future complacency. Couldn't get over the bitterness from past gens? Be careful what you wish for.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45548 Posts

Put it this way, MS is using their fortune (which virtually came from non-gaming ventures) in an attempt to buy out a majority stake of the gaming market. There's a lot to be concerned with that kind of market manipulation.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17700 Posts

Hopefully MS buys up Activision, EA, Ubi. All the rotten eggs in one basket, then I can just toss my Xbox in the trash as the hope for any genuine creative interest remains with their effort is entirely diminished. Who honestly cares for those big three? I couldn't possibly care less if EA, Ubi, and Activision got together and self-immolated. It would honestly do the industry massive benefit to have these greedy companies gone.

So I say hallelujah.....consolidate that garbage to be easier ignored and tossed aside. Saves me the trouble of having to parse through games individually when I can just toss the entire console into the trash in the understanding of the blanket philosophy of these "gaming" companies.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44625 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner folks!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 TheEroica  Moderator

@SolidGame_basic: Sony literally began and funded their gaming division which is ten years older than Xbox brand with money they didn't earn from games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Put it this way, MS is using their fortune (which virtually came from non-gaming ventures) in an attempt to buy out a majority stake of the gaming market. There's a lot to be concerned with that kind of market manipulation.

But Activision was shopping themselves. Y’all acting like Xbox held them and gunpoint or something. EA was another buyer in the running for Activision. Would they be better if with EA or Xbox? I know my pick is Xbox

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts
@TheEroica said:

@SolidGame_basic: Sony literally began and funded their gaming division which is ten years older than Xbox brand with money they didn't earn from games.

To him its OK when Sony does it though.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 MysticalDonut

@Archangel3371 said:
@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner folks!

When has Sony purchased any multiplatform franchises?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45548 Posts
@TheEroica said:

Sony pitched the original Playstation as an add on to Nintendo's console. Nintendo rejected the idea. They then went on to create Playstation to massive success. As a result of that success, they developed relationships with developers and grew their own talent. MS has continued to buy massively successful franchises just because they can, and because they don't have the type of talent and success as Sony and Nintendo. There's no way you're going to tell me Sony's success came because they invented the Walkman lol.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 MysticalDonut
@Sagemode87 said:
@Pedro said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Get off your high horse. No one gives a rats ass if you care about their "tears"or or not. To call buying Insomniac and House Marque the same as buying Activision and Bethesda is laughable. To say that is disingenuous at best. If MS continues this practice, guess they'll buy their way to being market leader. Don't complain when Gamepass is 50 bucks a month. Lems are to blame for cheerleading future complacency. Couldn't get over the bitterness from past gens? Be careful what you wish for.

Day 2 of him not understanding the difference between publishers and developers

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 750 Posts

I'm a bit worried about the price of Game Pass over the next few years. Is it going to remain as cheap as it is, or will we slowly start seeing price hikes until suddenly there is tier pricing and limits put on games that can be played.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Archangel3371

@mysticaldonut: I agree with Pedro’s post. Sorry? 🤷‍♂️

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By MysticalDonut

@Archangel3371 said:

I know, hence the question.

The most it could be stretched to is Spider-Man

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Archangel3371

@mysticaldonut said:
@Archangel3371 said:

I know, hence the question.

The most it could be stretched to is Spider-Man

Ok? So why ask a question for which you already know the answer to. It has no bearing on whether or not I agree with the sentiment to the post by Pedro. 😐

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Totally worth it just for all the cows losing their mind. Cows don't care if it's a negative or positive for the industry, although they claim that's what they care about, all they care about is being under the delusion that they are number one. Microsoft has been dominating everything this gen and cows are at breaking point. The damage control is glorious, Gamepass just destroying everything and it eats them to their core. Many sleepless nights ahead cow clowns.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Pedro

@TheEroica said:

These folks are so triggered by this news that they are shilling is on overdrive.

@Sagemode87 said:

The bulk of Sony's studios have been purchased, so if you are going to list the studios they have bought list all of them and not just two. Last year Sony purchased 5 studios. Sony buys studios for exclusives. Sony pays studios and publishers to prevent games from being released on other platforms. They have done this perpetually all of last gen. You are now butthurt that Microsoft is taking the same page from Sony and one upping their tactic to a level that you and your shills cannot phantom. Microsoft bested Sony with their own strategy. Now you are crying about MS doing the same thing and cherry picking your failed arguments to ignore the facts.

I also love the recent conspiracy of GamePass is going to be $50.😂 That is a clear sign that you and the rest of your goons are on suicide watch from this news. 🤣 You want to blame Xbox fannies for this? Don't be silly. You and your goons have been the cheerleaders of this practice for years. "Couldn't get over bitterness from past gens?", you must confuse me with someone else because the only people who are bitter are Sony fannies and have been bitter since the PS3.😂🤣

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#92 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

It's literally going to be three or four big companies all competing for 99% of the market in 10 years or less.

I'd argue that independent games might be our salvation, but frankly I think they might be locked out of whatever operating systems these companies will be running on their hardware.

The sad thing is this is happening everywhere. All the food in grocery stores is made by like 10 corporations. About 95% of the wineries in Napa are owned by four corporations. Etc, etc...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Pedro

@mrbojangles25 said:

It's literally going to be three or four big companies all competing for 99% of the market in 10 years or less.

I'd argue that independent games might be our salvation, but frankly I think they might be locked out of whatever operating systems these companies will be running on their hardware.

The sad thing is this is happening everywhere. All the food in grocery stores is made by like 10 corporations. About 95% of the wineries in Napa are owned by four corporations. Etc, etc...

It is an inevitability. Governments supposed to prevent the over consolidation but the laws seems to be very weak in application. Gaming being relatively new makes it easier to slide through because it is non-essential.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#94 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58534 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mrbojangles25 said:

It is an inevitability. Governments supposed to prevent the over consolidation but the laws seems to be very weak in application. Gaming being relatively new makes it easier to slide through because it is non-essential.

There's a shred of hope, I guess, in that the deal has not been approved. Given the public outcry, I hope this at least encourages the SEC (or whatever government body deals with this stuff) to at least lean towards not approving it.

Still, the fact that they're trying to do this does not bode well for the industry. Stagnation and consolidation, just seems wrong; how many new studios can you open for 70 billion? How many new jobs can you create? How much creativity can you foster for 70 billion?

Money poorly spent if you ask me, but I guess I am not the head of a megacorp.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Pedro
@mrbojangles25 said:

There's a shred of hope, I guess, in that the deal has not been approved. Given the public outcry, I hope this at least encourages the SEC (or whatever government body deals with this stuff) to at least lean towards not approving it.

Still, the fact that they're trying to do this does not bode well for the industry. Stagnation and consolidation, just seems wrong; how many new studios can you open for 70 billion? How many new jobs can you create? How much creativity can you foster for 70 billion?

Money poorly spent if you ask me, but I guess I am not the head of a megacorp.

I don't see this being blocked. Stalled, possibly but not blocked. The gaming industry; more specifically consoles, have perpetuated the need and the common practice of locking games to hardware. It has also promoted ;with the help of the media, companies to pay for the locking of games to specific hardware. This shit practice has been literally celebrated by gamers and when spoken out against, the rhetoric was "just buy said hardware" or "you are jealous" or "that is just the way gaming works". So, as far as I am concerned this was inevitable.

Stagnation is already here even without consolidation. Gamers actively support known IPs and newer IPs struggle very hard. The only exception is when it is under the umbrella of "teh exclusive" and being actively supported by one of the big three does it have a chance to survive.

I wouldn't say it is money poorly spent. Activision/Blizzard is very profitable and since I heard it is a cash purchase, it would be a better usage of the money than in cash form.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

Cow meltdown continues. MS is a business, they will decided things on a case by case basis. They don't just make stuff exclusive like Sony does. Just look at the switch, where there are multiple games by Microsoft available on the switch platform.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SargentD  Online

@blaznwiipspman1: MS has been very open to putting their games on all hardware. Sony and Nintendo need gamepass.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

@sargentd: even without gamepass, MS still puts out games on other systems. Heck, just 2 weeks ago, MS allowed nintendo to release banjo on their nintendo online service. On top of that, there's 3 freaking MS characters in super smash bros. It's possible that nintendo said ok to the Golden eye 64 port and something they're working on together.

Everything is case by case though. I'm not going to say 100%, but its likely COD stays on PlayStation in some form. MS has never cared about exclusives like Sony has. If it makes sense business wise to make it exclusive to gamepass, MS will do that. Otherwise they won't.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#99 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41585 Posts

Thank GOD someone said it! It shocks me that gamers are sleeping on the consequences of this, meanwhile in every other part of the grander entertainment industry, it's frowned upon. Ask Disney in everything! Ask Sony and their stake in the anime industry!

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8420 Posts
@Jendeh said:

I'm a bit worried about the price of Game Pass over the next few years. Is it going to remain as cheap as it is, or will we slowly start seeing price hikes until suddenly there is tier pricing and limits put on games that can be played.

why worry?..

if that becomes the case, people will just unsubscribe and the problem solves itself.. Microsoft is trying to gain subscribers, not lose them..

and y'know you can still buy games like normal, right?.. all this fake concern about an optional service is hilarious..