PC gaming is still too much of a hassle.

• 79 results
tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3738 Posts

I've been gaming on pc for a long time. It's always been a hassle. If it's not a driver or poor optimization issues, it's something else. These days I like sitting on the couch. Big picture from steam is supposed to solve that. Half the time games start in the background or minimized, meaning I have to get off the couch, flip the laptop open and bring it to the forefront. Console quality is on par with pc these days. There's no reason to put up with this crap anymore.

Buy a ps5 and be done with it, or an Xbox if you like playing last gen games at 60fps. I could have bought both for the price I paid for this ridiculous laptop.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4236 Posts

I think you could substitute it for a TV, though.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45222 Posts

Could buy a brand new PC if I wanted, but I feel like today's consoles are pretty good (for the most part). One reason that keeps me with consoles are the ability to buy physical games, even though I find myself buying more and more digital. I also just find consoles to offer more value and they're easy to resell.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 outworld222

Ya. Also just play older PC games rather than getting a new PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

This is absurd. No way in hell is console gaming quality "on par" with PC these days, lol. Not even close.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39109 Posts

Nothing is more pathetic than playing on pc.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By outworld222

@hardwenzen: oh common man. You can’t be serious.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34655 Posts

Not for me it ain't.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3738 Posts

@nod_calypse: Nonsense. Both the ps5 and the XsX are visually on par with the PC and consoles have been since the 360 days. The only people who think otherwise are the weirdos who count pixels on blades of grass and other things that no normal gamer would even notice.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13019 Posts

Yeah I would sell your PC and get an Xbox. Xbox is all you need.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61506 Posts

Works fine with me. Also starting to appreciate the 120fps and GSync.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

Hassle or not, it would piss me off modern devs seems to rely on brute forcing shoddy code on ever-improving PC hardware rather than spend time optimizing their games.

Not surprising this industry wide optimization avoidance on the console end results in isometric RPGs that can't run in split screen mode or fighter games that look 6th/7th gen-ish that can't run at 60fps on 8th/9th gen consoles.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11616 Posts

I disagree.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

@hardwenzen said: "Nothing is more pathetic than playing on pc."

So that's the one sentence that will lose you all credibility. 🤔

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Don't you own a system that runs this one new game at 436p? How can i take you seriously?

Qui-Gon-Milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Qui-Gon-Milk
Member since 2022 • 182 Posts

Upgrade that TV...Phillips? Ehhh

Also, consoles are not on par with PC...lmao. Starfield locked at 30 frames and Final Fantasy XVI on the PS5 with those drops to 720p and can't hit 60 in performance mode? Pass...

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1253 Posts

There's no hassle 95% of the time.

We've seen an emphasis on 60fps in the console space since the Pro and One X. If that continues, then a console is a viable option, but if it doesn't ... vomit.

Plus handheld PCs are.... gaining steam. (sorry) Another perk for pc gamers that roll that way.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Don't you own a system that runs this one new game at 436p? How can i take you seriously?

Like 1080pturnal? Wows dat next gen... How can I take you seriously?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

Almost zero hassle except for the once in a few years occasion where you might build yourself a new PC, but that's part of the hobby aspect.

I think that's the distinction between PC and console; PC is a legit hobby, console is just something you do (like watching TV or reading) to pass time. Hobbies you are actually willing to put up with a small amount of hassle. Hell, that's part of the fun.

Same thing with other hobbies, like BBQ. Nothing like spending 10 hours smoking a pork butt, only to find out you don't have a nice smoke ring on it like the pros get, then researching and fine tuning your rub and smoking technique and trying again! OH NO BBQ IS SUCH A HASSLE I SHOULD GIVE IT UP! said no one ever.

I don't mind an occasional hassle. What I do mind is inconvenience, and PC gaming has never been inconvenient. You know what is inconvenient? Buying a physical disc for your console only to find out you need to download the other half of the game, which is 50+ GB. Noooo thank you.

Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

@tjandmia said:

@nod_calypse: Nonsense. Both the ps5 and the XsX are visually on par with the PC and consoles have been since the 360 days. The only people who think otherwise are the weirdos who count pixels on blades of grass and other things that no normal gamer would even notice.

Lol, dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not talking visuals, for the most part, but performance. Frames. This is what really matters. PC destroys consoles in that department, among many others.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1104 Posts

I agree, and the Steam Deck highlights how much better and more streamlined PC gaming can be, and ROG Ally comparisons really drive that home.

Valve themselves should put out a TV PC that can provide the same experience as the Steam Deck but with more horsepower.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6187 Posts

PC's = pirates & cheaters.

Now I'm sure someone's gonna post that they do neither of those things, but those people will also tell you Santa is real 🤣

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Ah yes... The ~yearly "PC is too hard" thread from @tjandmia

Sometimes you wonder if it's possible for certain people not to have issues. Almost like they manifest it somehow.

Good shit 😘

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Works fine with me. Also starting to appreciate the 120fps and GSync.

Same for my PC. 1440p/165hz with G-Sync is a sweet, sweet spot😎

But in any case, gaming PC's isn't for everyone and PC & Consoles have their place after all.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#25 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17822 Posts

Sounds like you suck at PC.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Good that PC makes OP get off his fat ass. Imagine making a thread bitching about PC because you have to get up.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11802 Posts

@tjandmia: Seems you're not aware Steam has controller hotkeys that allow you to use your controller as a mouse to select things. All you have to do is hold the home button on your controller while moving your right analog stick and press the right bumper while still holding the home button to click on something. There is also the controller companion app on Steam which is $3. Also you can just get a wireless keyboard with a touchpad.

End of thread.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

I honestly can't remember the last time I've even had issues on PC. Intel/Nvidia has always been good to me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Imagine haivng 1080p and 436p in the same dimension🤭

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I find some games in general a hassle. I was watching the new cod games being streamed and there is Soo much crap on the menus to navigate that it looks horrible. I had the same issue with the PS5 ui. It's looks like they are copying that Fortnite crap. But no loss for me the games play like puke, I still have no clue how someone can sit Infront of their TV's and enjoy them, or even compete against one another with.

Nirgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nirgal
Member since 2019 • 692 Posts

You won't get the massive backlog, the mods and flexibility you get with PC.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17439 Posts

I don't think I'll ever go back to being 100% console.

At least with PC, when you have an issue with hardware the community has usually found a fix. With console, you either have to live with it or hope Sony/MS can fix it without breaking something else.

I like having choice in how I play, consoles are the opposite of that

Robertos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Robertos
Member since 2023 • 1001 Posts
@tjandmia said:

Console quality is on par with pc these days.

lol 30 fps on low-medium and a far lower high scoring library each year. No thanks.

P.S. Apart from some stuttering in the first week or two of a few crappy games the last 2 years, I have not had much issue with PC gaming. My drivers auto update.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52441 Posts

Yeah. PC is nice for emulation. Was thinking of upgrading the computer but I can't be bothered to spend time and money on that. Just a console so I can vidya.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

I feel the same way. Consoles just work. For some reason my PC always has sound issues when using HDMI to the TV. Tried different cables, updated drivers and googled fixes but no luck so far.

@mrbojangles25: I just smoked a butt yesterday on my pellet smoker. 12 hour smoke. I can't believe how easy it is on a pellet smoker. Good analogy for PC gaming. I don't think I'll ever go back to the traditional charcoal/stick burners.

PS: Where's Zaryia? She'd be furious with this thread.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59062 Posts

Say the problem isn't PC itself but lazy dickhead publishers just putting games on a shit state on the platform.

Not struggling developers either, it's the big ones. Who'll happily pump up gaming prices (it's a wuxuary bro!) while wholesale giving you a broken ass game.

Given up AAA games at launch, no more of that shit.

And yea, PC gamers themselves are partly to blame, they allow it, like most gamers what they say and what they do are two different things.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

Lol considering the last game I played on my ps5 was FF16 which ran like dogshit, I’ll have to say you are full of it…

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

What's worse is 1080pturnal is a first party game. But lets throw that out the window. What you brought up is MUCH more fun.

You're talking about Immortals Of Aveum aren't you? I mean... I wouldn't have gone there if I was you. XD

720p on the PlayStation 5? It just gets worse. At least Series S owners aren't under the delusion that their console is a power house.

That's not a one off. Lets talk about Final Fantasy 16 a game built from the ground up for the PS5. YOU said anything under 60 fps doesn't count as a game, referencing Starfield. Yet to reach 60 fps in Final Fantasy 16, the resolution drops to 720p during battles. XD

I TOLD you guys this 2K/4K 60fps wouldn't last. I said as the gen went on, they'd push graphics and console games would gradually fall back to lower resolutions and frame rates. Most of these games running at 2K+ 60fps looked last gen. The TRUE performance of these consoles is coming out. Next gen looking games 720p 30fps as always. XD

More and more console games are coming out as 30fps.

Digital Foundry: "Last year, after A Plague Tale: Requiem and Gotham Knights launched at 30fps, I made the case that in the former example at least, pushing visuals to the next level has to come with a cost and that we should expect to see more 30fps games - and I think we'll gradually see that come to pass. If there are to be performance modes, we also need to accept that these too will be compromised - and may not always be the best way to play."

I LOVE that all these fanboys who were talking shit at the beginning of this gen have to eat crow.

As for your OWN standards, soon enough, games won't count on your PS5 (RE Starfield) and PC will be the only way to go. XD

On the box it says "8K", but the HDMI is like... "nah man... 720P 30fps". XD HAHAHA

I had no idea how bad things had gotten. :-D

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

What's worse is 1080pturnal is a first party game. But lets throw that out the window. What you brought up is MUCH more fun.

You're talking about Immortals Of Aveum aren't you? I mean... I wouldn't have gone there if I was you. XD

720p on the PlayStation 5? It just gets worse. At least Series S owners aren't under the delusion that their console is a power house.

That's not a one off. Lets talk about Final Fantasy 16 a game built from the ground up for the PS5. YOU said anything under 60 fps doesn't count as a game, referencing Starfield. Yet to reach 60 fps in Final Fantasy 16, the resolution drops to 720p during battles. XD

I TOLD you guys this 2K/4K 60fps wouldn't last. I said as the gen went on, they'd push graphics and console games would gradually fall back to lower resolutions and frame rates. Most of these games running at 2K+ 60fps looked last gen. The TRUE performance of these consoles is coming out. Next gen looking games 720p 30fps as always. XD

Digital Foundry: "Last year, after A Plague Tale: Requiem and Gotham Knights launched at 30fps, I made the case that in the former example at least, pushing visuals to the next level has to come with a cost and that we should expect to see more 30fps games - and I think we'll gradually see that come to pass. If there are to be performance modes, we also need to accept that these too will be compromised - and may not always be the best way to play."

I LOVE that all these fanboys who were talking shit at the beginning of this gen have to eat crow.

As for your OWN standards, soon enough, games won't count on your PS5 (RE Starfield) and PC will be the only way to go. XD

On the box it says "8K", but the HDMI is like... "nah man... 720P 30fps". XD HAHAHA

So much goofiness. Returnal wasn't a first party title, Housemaque wasn't owned by Sony when it was released. 1080p is bad, but 436p is defining the patheticness of the gaming industry. There is nothing worse than 436p.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

So much goofiness. Returnal wasn't a first party title, Housemaque wasn't owned by Sony when it was released. 1080p is bad, but 436p is defining the patheticness of the gaming industry. There is nothing worse than 436p.

1080p in your dreams, games are dropping to 720p or 30fps on the PS5. XD

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

You mentioned Returnal, a 1080p title. Your S is running games at resolution lower than launch titles from two generations ago. Beyond pathetic.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

You mentioned Returnal, a 1080p title. Your S is running games at resolution lower than launch titles from two generations ago. Beyond pathetic.

You mentioned 436p and for that game, PS5 is 720p. Forget Returnal. Things got worse. Ironically I didn't realise until you brought up the Series S 436p. Your mistake. PS5 is now down to 720p.

You think you calling out the Series S is an insult to me? I feel vindicated choosing the Series S considering how this gen has turned out. But here's the thing, when I'm ready, I can just sell off my Series S EASILY, which was the plan and pick up a Series X and sign in, continue where I left off. What can you upgrade your PoWaH house PS5 to? XD

"Beyond pathetic" indeed. XD

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet: the XSS is beyond pathetic. I have no idea why anyone would buy one unless it cost $99. The fact that it costs the same as a PS5 here but less than half the power is just incredible.

You can't upgrade the PS5 because you don't need to. You can only upgrade your XSS to what the PS5 standard alreasy has (an XSX)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56192 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: the XSS is beyond pathetic. I have no idea why anyone would buy one unless it cost $99. The fact that it costs the same as a PS5 here but less than half the power is just incredible.

You can't upgrade the PS5 because you don't need to. You can only upgrade your XSS to what the PS5 standard alreasy has (an XSX)

I bought the XSS just to play old games, that's it. I never bother playing current games on it as I have a high-end PC. I now barely use it if I wanna play old games. My 2 daughters do play it way more, so that's good for something.

I do agree the XSS shouldn't exist but MS wanted to make it cheaper but sacrificing to be this pathetic made it harder for developers. At least the Switch has a slight advantage over the XSS, the Switch has real exclusive games for it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44129 Posts

Oh my, the Pee Salty Seas will be very stormy and turbulent this time of year.

lolol :P

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@davillain: Yeah the Switch is something else entirely. Even though I think its a terrible product for using 2003 hardware, I can fully understand why people buy Switches. 1) the portability. 2) its the only way (except for PC) to play two of the highest rated games this century (Zelda BOTW and Zelda: TOTK) and all other Nintendo exclusives like Metroid Prime, all the Marios etc. Again, I wish Microsoft bought Nintendo so they could port all their exclusives their and standard making Nintendo games with XSX level of graphics (and better on PC).

The only purpose of an XSS its to get 1/3 the power of an XSX for a measly 100 dollars less. I guess for your kids, but if you're an adult "hardcore" gamer... lol

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HalcyonScarlet

@Mozelleple112 said:

The fact that it costs the same as a PS5 here but less than half the power is just incredible.

That's a "there" problem.

Everyone who gets it, knows it's just for casual gaming.

You can't upgrade the PS5 because you don't need to.

The PS5 is also beyond pathetic. Tapping out at 720p or 30fps already?

If that's "all you need", then I wouldn't back up hardwenzen in calling the PC pathetic. XD

It's funny, calling out the PC and then pathetically using the Series S as a whataboutism, while the PS5 is starting to beg for mercy in 2023.

This gen is the gift that keeps on giving. Difference is, no one claims the Series S is some powah house.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 512 Posts

I've never had that many issues on PC. I have programs that auto-optimize games and automatically update my drivers so I can't remember the last time I had to do that. In fact, I think I had more issues with rebuilding my database from corrupted save files on my PS4 last gen than I ever have on PC.

The console vs PC debate is never going away, but it's also a dumb debate to have anyway. Just like cars, you can have a cheap economy car or build a custom supercharged car. Both get you where you need to go, it's just one is marketed toward the enthusiast who wants performance and speed and the other is marketed toward the individual who just wants to get what they need as cheaply and easily as possible.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

If I get a new computer I can play my old games. With a new console you can't play your old games. For example Play Station Three games won't play on a Play Station Four.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
@Mozelleple112 said:

@davillain: Yeah the Switch is something else entirely. Even though I think its a terrible product for using 2003 hardware, I can fully understand why people buy Switches. 1) the portability. 2) its the only way (except for PC) to play two of the highest rated games this century (Zelda BOTW and Zelda: TOTK) and all other Nintendo exclusives like Metroid Prime, all the Marios etc. Again, I wish Microsoft bought Nintendo so they could port all their exclusives their and standard making Nintendo games with XSX level of graphics (and better on PC).

The only purpose of an XSS its to get 1/3 the power of an XSX for a measly 100 dollars less. I guess for your kids, but if you're an adult "hardcore" gamer... lol

I mean... Why? The Series S is SO VERY clearly not for hardcore gamers. They're for people who were NEVER going to dish out the asking price for a Series X or PS5 at launch.

The Series S will never be "pathetic" because, people have no expectations of it. It's par the course. Where as it's funnier to me to watch the PS5 and Series X struggle now. After the 4K 120Hz noise you guys made at launch.

Even digital foundry doesn't think they can maintain 60fps as a standard this gen:

"So, as the cross-gen malaise gives way to titles only addressing the current consoles, we should expect to see fewer titles running at 60 frames per second - it is inevitable. 60fps is no longer an automatic given, it becomes a design element developers need to work around and plan for more diligently. Based on what we've seen so far, I think the biggest surprise is that we are already seeing titles facing CPU challenges."

Updating your PC is a MUCH better move than getting a PS5 or Series X at this point, hitting lower and lower resolutions and lower frame rates. If you're gonna do it... Do it properly. The Series S is just an extra. But imagine your main gaming device running at 720p or 30fps. XD