Super Mario Wonder - 9/10, 93 MC! UPDATE: 4.3 million in 2 weeks, fastest selling Super Mario!

• 198 results
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19587 Posts

The game is great. I appreciate that they allow you to go off the beaten path and tackle difficult levels early on - and man, some of those levels are wonderfully challenging.

The badge system is interesting too. There's a lot about this that changes up the formula and keeps it fresh.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23949 Posts

@Planeforger: People complain about the characters having no unique abilities from eachother, but I always assumed the Badge system was the replacement for that.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#103 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39389 Posts

All these 3d mario titles are the same. You played one, you played them all. Reminds me of CoD, actually.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#104 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7223 Posts

@hardwenzen: Let us know when CoD add the amazing and wonderful Elephant powerup.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8444 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

All these 3d mario titles are the same. You played one, you played them all. Reminds me of CoD, actually.

You're just salty this game has higher scores than Spider-Man 2, a game you hate the fact you have to love now since Playstation hasn't released any other exclusives this year.

Go and play your most hyped game of the year now, Turds of the Fallen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 hardwenzen  Online

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Let us know when CoD add the amazing and wonderful Elephant powerup.

Instead, it added Lilith from D4. I am telling you, 3d mario is the same as cod.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Maroxad

@hardwenzen: You missed 3 times in a single post.

1. There is plenty of variety between 3d marios. Super Mario 64 plays quite different from Galaxy, Sunshine, 3D World and Odyssey. The only 2 duos that had similaar gameplay weere 3d land/3d world and Galaxy 1+2.

2. What does this have to do with 3d marios? This is a 2d mario.

3. 2D Marios also have a decent ammount of variety between them. Are you seriously going to imply that Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3 and World and 2 are the same? The only games that played similarly are the NSMB games, and SMB1 and the Lost Levels.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 hardwenzen  Online

@Maroxad said:

1. There is plenty of variety between 3d marios. Super Mario 64 plays quite different from Galaxy, Sunshine, 3D World and Odyssey. The only 2 duos that had similaar gameplay weere 3d land/3d world and Galaxy 1+2.

3. 2D Marios also have a decent ammount of variety between them. Are you seriously going to imply that Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3 and World and 2 are the same? The only games that played similarly are the NSMB games, and SMB1 and the Lost Levels.

Nice way of damage controlling the fact that Nintendo has been rehashing these since SMG1🤷‍♂️If you believe that they aren't, Call of Duty must be fresh every year for ya.

Sonicplys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Sonicplys
Member since 2004 • 2603 Posts

Wonder is my current GOTY. Playing it this whole time with a big dumb goofy smile on my face. I'm talking about actual real FUN, not that forced fake garbage you PCoids, Xbots and Ponies get with your trash games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 hardwenzen  Online

@Sonicplys said:

Wonder is my current GOTY. Playing it this whole time with a big dumb goofy smile on my face. I'm talking about actual real FUN, not that forced fake garbage you PCoids, Xbots and Ponies get with your trash games.

That's what happens when you're wearing fanboy goggles. And if you think that BG3, the real 2023 GOTY is fake garbage etc etc, you're, well, your fanboy goggles are simply too thick.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Nice way of damage controlling the fact that Nintendo has been rehashing these since SMG1🤷‍♂️If you believe that they aren't, Call of Duty must be fresh every year for ya.

Strong words from a man that hyped Poor Man's Dark Souls Turds of the Fallen lolol

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 410 Posts

I picked up this game and 3D World today, so I have quite a few multiplayer Mario games I can play with my gf in the coming months.

Looking forward to Wonder. It seems like early reviews are quite good.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Maroxad said:

Strong words from a man that hyped Poor Man's Dark Souls Turds of the Fallen lolol

At least it hasn't been rehashed for almost 20 years by the same company🤓

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#114  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13669 Posts

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

You're just salty this game has higher scores than Spider-Man 2, a game you hate the fact you have to love now since Playstation hasn't released any other exclusives this year.

Go and play your most hyped game of the year now, Turds of the Fallen.

He's probably mad that PS is the only ones that didn't score a 9 this year. XD

Oh well. Considering most have probably finished Spider-Man 2 now (dat short gameplay), we better start preparing ourselves for Wolverine. ;-)

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet: Your biggest game in generations is a 7/10. Calm down.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jaydan

@hardwenzen said:

Bro, I know why your most hyped game of the year got a 5/10, one half of a perfect score. It's because you are a 5/10 yourself.

You two were meant for each other. With you two together you make a perfect 10/10.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:

Don't be mad... Wolverine is right around the corner. Should we start a hype thread for it?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 hardwenzen  Online

@jaydan said:
@hardwenzen said:

Bro, I know why your most hyped game of the year got a 5/10, one half of a perfect score. It's because you are a 5/10 yourself.

You two were meant for each other. With you two together you make a perfect 10/10.

I played the game now. I know how it is.😎

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Don't be mad... Wolverine is right around the corner. Should we start a hype thread for it?

You can start a hype thread for it the same year that MS releases a game that has 90+ on meta, and isn't called forza, an irrelevant racing game that people literally forgot about on the day it was released.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

You can start a hype thread for it the same year that MS releases a game that has 90+ on meta, and isn't called forza, an irrelevant racing game that people literally forgot about on the day it was released.

"BU BU BU PEEEEEASE LET US USE METACRITIC" XD

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Meta paints the real picture of the state of the Xbox brand, and that picture is not one you want to see. Understandable.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#122 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

The Super Mario platformers (2D and 3D) are the most dynamic and versatile games ever made. A game like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Super Mario Bros. Wonder each have more ideas than what most franchises could ever dream to showcase over the span of many entries and decades.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8317 Posts

Nintendo always reminding people, they are the king of platformers

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 hardwenzen  Online

@sargentd said:

Because outside of indie, nobody bothers with platformers since the mid 2000's lol.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By SargentD
@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:

Because outside of indie, nobody bothers with platformers since the mid 2000's lol.

I love platformers, pizza tower contender for GOTY frfr

I dont understand how people can dislike platformers and claim to like video games

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 hardwenzen  Online

@sargentd said:
@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:

I dont understand how people can dislike platformers and claim to like video games

Because they're simple all around. Loved them as a kid, but now i kinda want something with actual voice acting, a story and immersion. Now if they were to release a Conker 2 that is a platformer with funny voice acting and a story that is dumb in a good way, i'd be all over that, but yet another Mario? No thanks.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Meta paints the real picture of the state of the Xbox brand, and that picture is not one you want to see. Understandable.

"PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ACCEPT METACRITIC" XD

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

Every smart gamer have long accepted them. Only fools don't. Then again, when you see Starfield being almost in the 70's, its sad, real sad, and this might be the reason that some refuse to accet meta.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 HalcyonScarlet

@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Every smart gamer have long accepted them. Only fools don't. Then again, when you see Starfield being almost in the 70's, its sad, real sad, and this might be the reason that some refuse to accet meta.

"BU BU BU LET ME SHOW YOU WHY METACRITIC IS IMPORTANT AND IS NOT FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH BS SCORES THAN YOU CAN ACCEPT IT" XD

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 hardwenzen  Online

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:

"BU BU BU LET ME SHOW YOU WHY METACRITIC IS IMPORTANT AND IS NOT FILLED TO THE BRIM WITH BS SCORES THAN YOU CAN ACCEPT IT" XD

You're just saying it because MS has been failing on there for a decade😭😭😭

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#131 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

@hardwenzen: I wouldn’t trust a Conker sequel from anyone besides the team that made the first game. The humor of the first game wouldn’t ever get the green light these days anyhow.

Anyways, those are cinematic elements you mentioned. They’re important (depending on the game), but they’re not essential to gaming. The God of War revival games, for example, thrive in those areas, but it’s the gameplay that makes them truly great games. You just seem as though you don’t want to see Mario’s face, and if the face wasn’t Mario, you’d appreciate the games more or something. It’s, in my opinion, an interesting way to look at things, to say the least.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#132 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70019 Posts

Are Sony fannies still damage controlling the score?🤭

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 hardwenzen  Online

@The_Deepblue said:

@hardwenzen: I wouldn’t trust a Conker sequel from anyone besides the team that made the first game. The humor of the first game wouldn’t ever get the green light these days anyhow.

Anyways, those are cinematic elements you mentioned. They’re important (depending on the game), but they’re not essential to gaming. The God of War revival games, for example, thrive in those areas, but it’s the gameplay that makes them truly great games. You just seem as though you don’t want to see Mario’s face, and if the face wasn’t Mario, you’d appreciate the games more or something. It’s, in my opinion, an interesting way to look at things, to say the least.

The original team would do a banger job, but i don't think they're essential. This is not a fromsoft game where literally everyone that tries, fails miserably. Conker is a much simpler title, and all you need is a dev that understands what made the original great, which i don't think is that hard to find.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By SargentD

@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:
@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:

Because they're simple all around. Loved them as a kid, but now i kinda want something with actual voice acting, a story and immersion. Now if they were to release a Conker 2 that is a platformer with funny voice acting and a story that is dumb in a good way, i'd be all over that, but yet another Mario? No thanks.

First of all voice acting is the last thing I'm worried about in playing a video game. That is definitely something only a cow would say.

Also let's not pretend conker was a good platformer. I like conker but it had bad platforming compared to Mario 64 or banjo Kazooie

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 hardwenzen  Online

@sargentd said:
@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:
@hardwenzen said:
@sargentd said:

First of all voice acting is the last thing I'm worried about in playing a video game. That is definitely something only a cow would say.

Also let's not pretend conker was a good platformer. I like conker but it had bad platforming compared to Mario 64 or banjo Kazooie

Never said that it was a better platformer than both banjo titles. I mentioned Conker because it has voice acting, a story and interesting characters, so a platformer with all of the above does exist, and can be as good as banjo, and this is what i want.

This reminds me, the fact that after all these years, there is no proper Banjo 3, tells me that the ones owning the ip have zero talent. If platformers didn't sell at all, making the third game wouldn't make sense, but mario sells a shitton, and a lot of people are very nostalgic toward Banjo, so if the game is good, it will sell a lot of copies no matter what. Are they making one? No. Nobody at Microsoft is even capable of creating platformers.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Maroxad

Personally when I play platformers, I tend to prefer to not be interrupted by cutscenes. Conker was funny for one go. But has absolutely 0 replay value.

One of the things that made Pizza Tower so good is the nonstop action.

@sargentd said:

Hell yeah!

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Mesome713

Wow that game is amazing. I think Zelda still wins GOTY, but holy cow what a challenger 😎

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44355 Posts

Playing some more and this game is just too damn good. The badges are an excellent addition. Gameplay is solid and tight. Nintendo just always seems to be in god mode.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45320 Posts

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Mesome713

@SolidGame_basic: Im really feeling it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 SolidGame_basic

Wow…

https://www.gamesradar.com/5-people-made-the-original-super-mario-bros-all-of-them-were-still-at-nintendo-to-ship-wonder-38-years-later/

The original Super Mario Bros. on NES was made by a team of five people, and it seems every single one of them is still at Nintendo and was credited on Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Back in the NES days, video games were small enough to be developed by absolutely tiny teams. Super Mario Bros., released in Japan in 1983, was made by just five people: director Shigeru Miyamoto, assistant director Takashi Tezuka, programmers Toshihiko Nakago and Kazuaki Morita, and musician Koji Kondo.

In an incredible feat of game industry continuity, all five of them are still credited on Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Miyamoto served as supervisor, with Tezuka as producer, Nakago as a special level design advisor, and Kondo as sound director. Morita, meanwhile, is in the special thanks section. With four of the five original devs serving in major supervisory roles 38 years later, this might just be the most incredible piece of developer continuity in gaming history.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#142 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

Wow…

https://www.gamesradar.com/5-people-made-the-original-super-mario-bros-all-of-them-were-still-at-nintendo-to-ship-wonder-38-years-later/

The original Super Mario Bros. on NES was made by a team of five people, and it seems every single one of them is still at Nintendo and was credited on Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Back in the NES days, video games were small enough to be developed by absolutely tiny teams. Super Mario Bros., released in Japan in 1983, was made by just five people: director Shigeru Miyamoto, assistant director Takashi Tezuka, programmers Toshihiko Nakago and Kazuaki Morita, and musician Koji Kondo.

In an incredible feat of game industry continuity, all five of them are still credited on Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Miyamoto served as supervisor, with Tezuka as producer, Nakago as a special level design advisor, and Kondo as sound director. Morita, meanwhile, is in the special thanks section. With four of the five original devs serving in major supervisory roles 38 years later, this might just be the most incredible piece of developer continuity in gaming history.

Very cool and probably a huge reason why the game is awesome.

Makes you wonder what will happen when they quit..

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#143 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34698 Posts

@hardwenzen: Sounds like Psychonauts could catch your fancy, if you haven't already played them.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Maroxad

@Litchie: Nintendo having strong Human Resources Management is one of the company's greatest strengths. While Naughty Dog retains employees worse than Samus Aran retains power ups between games. Nintendo does a good job keeping talent inbetween their releases.

We may not ever get a TLOU2 marvel from Nintendo, but I am quite content in the sustainable approach they have.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:

@hardwenzen: Sounds like Psychonauts could catch your fancy, if you haven't already played them.

I find its art direction so damn disgusting. It could be the best platformer ever made, and with that aesthetic, i wouldn't touch it.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@hardwenzen said:

Yes!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SolidGame_basic

Who said this game is easy lol.. those jump levels are tricky!

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3455 Posts

Enjoyed the game, might even be in my top 10 by the end of the year but it didn't blew my mind. Solid 8 imo.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Mesome713

Ive just started. Still trying to finish Ghosts of Tsushima. But im loving that the always running stuff was false. Not sure why IGN ran that narrative.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

@saint-george said:
@Sagemode87 said:

Nintendo fans and Sony fans eating good. Good time to own a PS5 and Switch. This may be the swan song for the Switch, bring on the Switch 2.

Translated....nintendo and xbox have absolutely destroyed PlayStation this year,i'm so triggered i'm gonna piggy back nintendo's success to try and ease the pain 🤣😂

SPIDE8MAN 2

Deal with it

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No the Xbox didn’t. The Xbox had a slightly better year, but that Redfall and Starfield didn’t help the Xbox in any way, shape, or form.