The ps vs xbox power battle, does it still matter.

• 99 results
commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Glancing at the specs released for the new xbox and ps5, microsoft has created a more powerfull system again than sony, not that the xboxone x has carried so much weight, the stab microsoft took from sony back in 2013 left a wound that continues to bleed more and more each year.

The question is does it still matter, it surely mattered this gen, there no way looking around the power difference in the base ps4 and xbox. The graphics are simply better, and for most console users, the release of the xboxone x and ps4 pro didn't change much, since they stuck with the base console.

but we are in different times now, what do these console have to offer, vr? sure the extra power in the xbox would be helpfull but phil 'the idiot' spencer hasn't even started thinking about it, just like he thought that power only would save the xbox.

and no that doesn't mean we need playstation like games on the xbox, we need more xbox like games, bless unleashed and bleeding edge is a step in the right direction. But dear dr phil, if you're releasing an xboxone x series this year, I really wonder what the point was of the xboxone x in the first place.

Because frankly, I think most of us could have done without this new xbox, and have more games, games that cater the xbox fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Why shouldn't it? Just because Sony is on the low end this time, doesn't mean power shouldn't matter all of the sudden.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70008 Posts

So, your argument is that they should just focus on games and not release a new console because its not possible to do both while its competition is releasing a new console this year? Okay.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Likely very wrong on this butt..

Cows say nooo.

Lems, yesss, this gen mooaar than ever. lol :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By commander

@Pedro: dr phil poured a lot of resources in the xboxone x , and now we have the xbox series x, what is going to do, continue to be a multiplat system because that is what the xbox has pretty much become since they started with the xboxone x, and that's not good for the consumer, and not good for xbox either, since it will not sell very well.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

What's with people living in the past?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 commander

@SecretPolice: yeah sure more power is always great but what is he going to do with it, he didn't do anything with the xboxone x, and since the release the content has been at an all time low.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commander

@briguyb13: what does have that to do with it, you think ray tracing is going to be a the all time saviour of the xbox, the playstation has it too and graphics are way more important for the playstation than for the xbox.

it's not the xbox series x would be irrelevant but maybe he shouldn't have put so much resources in the xboxone x then.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SecretPolice

@commander:

Mid gen upgrade is not the same as new gen launch console, that should be obvious, well to most. :P

Also, for me there's been more content available since X1X than I could ever hope to complete especially with GamePass. Heck, RDR2 alone is a mountain of content plus Gears 5 is the best Gears ever... Evah

PSO2 just hit the Xbox scene as well offering mooaar mountains of content. Just sayin.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: dr phil poured a lot of resources in the xboxone x , and now we have the xbox series x, what is going to do, continue to be a multiplat system because that is what the xbox has pretty much become since they started with the xboxone x, and that's not good for the consumer, and not good for xbox either, since it will not sell very well.

Firstly most games on the PS4 and Xbox are multiplatform games. Secondly the Xbox is going to be sharing its games with PC forever as far as we know and that has been the case for going on three years now. I am not sure what is not good for the consumer. The move seems more of a problem to Xbox fanboys than people who just play games.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Power really doesn’t matter it will get better every generation and if console fan boys/girls care about power just go and get a PC. I really like that both MS and Sony took different approaches and we still don’t know if the rumors about the Lockhart are true i hope not. Its always about games and Sony delivered every generation so far and i really can’t say that about MS. To me MS is more concentrated to sell people services than games and they really should not release there exclusives to PC same day on game pass the games just looses sales few years down the road yeah why not who cares sorry went of topic

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 commander

@Pedro: I think you would be surprised how many people have preferences that can only be found in the playstation or windows ecosystem. A lot of multiplats don't start as a multiplat as well.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

They've almost always been close. OG Xbox was slightly more powerful than PS2. Then PS3 was slightly more powerful than 360. Then PS4 was slightly more powerful than X1. Then X1X was slightly more powerful than Pro... now... XSeX is slightly more powerful than PS5.

It goes back and forth and frankly, as much as it's touted here on System Wars... in the end it doesn't matter. No one cares about slight power differences after the gen is over. History has shown that third party games will be practically identical on both.

I agree that generational power doesn't really make a huge difference unless you're a generation behind like Nintendo chose to do since Wii. Is power important? Sure is. The more powerful the system, the more you can do. That doesn't mean devs will take advantage.

I think the really exciting part for the XSeX is to see what first party games get released for it from all those studios MS recently acquired. We know Sony will have a great lineup. I'm hoping Microsoft gets some great exclusives to bolster their new hardware.

Let's see what both of these systems are really capable of with stellar first party studios taking advantage of each system's power.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: I think you would be surprised how many people have preferences that can only be found in the playstation or windows ecosystem. A lot of multiplats don't start as a multiplat as well.

Again the majority of games are multiplatform by a stupendously large margin. If someone have a preference for Playstation or Windows then why is it a problem for the consumer that Xbox games are available on PC?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 commander

@SecretPolice said:

@commander:

Mid gen upgrade is not the same as new gen launch console, that should be obvious, well to most. :P

Also, for me there's been more content available since X1X than I could ever hope to complete especially with GamePass. Heck, RDR2 alone is a mountain of content plus Gears 5 is the best Gears ever... Evah

PSO2 just hit the Xbox scene as well offering mooaar mountains of content. Just sayin.

It's nice for you that you can cater yourself with rdr2 and gears of war.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 commander

@Pedro: I don't see multiplat between pc and xbox a problem, I mean pc and console are different anyway.

What i do have problem with is that xbox is not pushing anymore to get games to their console, or even create new games.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 commander

@Telekill: the ps4 and xboxone were not close, ps2 and xbox original were not either. The xbox 360 ran games considerably better in the beginning compared to the ps3 but later on the ps3 was able to surpass x360.

these power differences have been key every gen, i doubt it will be key this time around tho.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: I don't see multiplat between pc and xbox a problem, I mean pc and console are different anyway.

What i do have problem with is that xbox is not pushing anymore to get games to their console, or even create new games.

Why do you think they acquired several studios and created a new one? The only next generation game that has been shown from third parties is Godfall and nothing else. Are we to conclude that no games are being made except for that game for next gen?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SecretPolice

@commander said:
@SecretPolice said:

@commander:

It's nice for you that you can cater yourself with rdr2 and gears of war.

Don't forget all the games on GP to which new ORI: WotW just launched as well. I'm gonna need to hire more employees just to help me play the mountain of content available on Mighty X1X. :P

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Telekill

@commander: 360 running things better was because PS3 was a bitch to develop for due to the cell. It wasn't a power issue.

And look back at all the third party games from previous gens. Without googling specs or performance... do you remember playing Prince of Persia on PS2 and then on Xbox and noticing a difference? Odds are you played one version. Enjoyed or hated the game based on your tastes and then moved on to the next game. I would argue that the power difference is never noticed by gamers outside of those with hardcore system wars mindsets.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@Telekill said:I would argue that the power difference is never noticed by gamers outside of those with hardcore system wars mindsets.

That argument is simply flawed. Every gamer plays their game with two screens, on two consoles at the same time to ensure that the system they prefer looks better. :P

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By commander

@Telekill said:

@commander: 360 running things better was because PS3 was a bitch to develop for due to the cell. It wasn't a power issue.

And look back at all the third party games from previous gens. Without googling specs or performance... do you remember playing Prince of Persia on PS2 and then on Xbox and noticing a difference? Odds are you played one version. Enjoyed or hated the game based on your tastes and then moved on to the next game. I would argue that the power difference is never noticed by gamers outside of those with hardcore system wars mindsets.

yeah but developping issues or not, the result is the same, it ran worse on the ps3, this while the ps3 in the second part of that gen could produce graphics in exclusives hat were close to next gen. It made the ps3 come back.

the difference between the ps2 and xbox original was quite noticable, I played on both of them and I know the tech behind it. the pixel shader made all the difference and it became a standard. Most current gen graphics all use an advanced version of pixel shaders.

The power is also the reason why xbox was able to break into the console territory.

and the ps4 power is the reason why it was able to give xbox such a beatdown this gen.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander

@Pedro: Would you be surprised?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: Would you be surprised?

Yes! Because I know that both companies are actively working on next gen games including third party developers.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By commander

@Pedro: xbox has been saying that since forever, I for one would be surprised. The whole mid gen upgrade and continuous upgrade thing has given them the ability to release new consoles without new games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: xbox has been saying that since forever, I for one would be surprised.

They have been saying it for two years, we are heading to their third. The reality is that they have significantly more studios working on games than they did at the start of this gen. It doesn't guarantee anything but it would be silly to believe that there isn't a focus on games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Telekill

@commander: Pixel shaders.... ? Really? You couldn't hide your Google search better?

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commander

@Pedro: I guessed you would have ninja quoted me but the thing is that these mid gen upgrades give them the ability to release new console without any new games, even the name doesn't really hold much of new era, xbox one series x. Seems just like a continuation of the xboxone brand to me

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 commander

@Telekill said:

@commander: Pixel shaders.... ? Really? You couldn't hide your Google search better?

I was 24 years old when the xbox released and i was an IT professional and avid gamer at that time.

you really think I needed google to know this? and reply that fast to explain it to you.

Livecommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Livecommander
Member since 2009 • 1388 Posts

@commander: power never matter much. For it was never that far a part btw them.

Ps4 was also cheaper. That's the only reason there was a big fuss by the sony fans

It used to be exclusive vs exclusive but now it's more like console exclusives and timed exclusives since sony is the only one making true exclusives now.

Oh most importantly the the difference in overall effort when it comes 1st and 2and party games

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pedro

@commander said:

@Pedro: I guessed you would have ninja quoted me but the thing is that these mid gen upgrades give them the ability to release new console without any new games, even the name doesn't really hold much of new era, xbox one series x. Seems just like a continuation of the xboxone brand to me

So, your new angle is that because no new games were released for the One X launch their would be no new games released for the Series X despite Halo: Infinite being already announced as a launch title? Now you arguing about name, as if that has any relevance. I think its best to leave you to your own devices.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 commander

@Pedro said:
@commander said:

So, your new angle is that because no new games were released for the One X launch their would be no new games released for the Series X despite Halo: Infinite being already announced as a launch title? Now you arguing about name, as if that has any relevance. I think its best to leave you to your own devices.

there's new and new, a new halo game ok, I'm sure it will run just fine on the base xbox one as well.

what do you mean your own devices. You do realize I pretty much only play on xbox right, apart from my vr system , which is pc.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Telekill

@commander: I have severe trust issues in general let alone coming from people on system wars. 🤷🏻‍♂️

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By commander

@Livecommander:

@Livecommander said:

@commander: power never matter much. For it was never that far a part btw them.

Ps4 was also cheaper. That's the only reason there was a big fuss by the sony fans

It used to be exclusive vs exclusive but now it's more like console exclusives and timed exclusives since sony is the only one making true exclusives now.

Oh most importantly the the difference in overall effort when it comes 1st and 2and party games

power was always key in console wars, and that already started in the eighties.

ps4 was not cheaper for long, they dropped the kinect a year after launch, and it's not like the new consoles had a lot to offer the first year.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By commander

@Telekill said:

@commander: I have severe trust issues in general let alone coming from people on system wars. 🤷🏻‍♂️

that's fair, but it still doesn't change the facts, the difference was quite noticable, and pixel shaders was the main reason. It was a main selling point for the geforce 3 cards at that time, and that was the same card in the xbox.

I experienced it first hand as well, I had friends that had an xbox and others that had a ps2, i was a pc gamer still at that time but we played a lot of games together on these consoles.

You'd probably find comparison videos on youtube as well if you don't believe me.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15954 Posts

Yes it matters but, if Sony and From Soft announce Bloodborne 2, PS5 is KOS, or some would say, KOSM.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9410 Posts

I don't think it matters for people who just want to play games.

We know they will target graphics so the performance will probably suffer in plenty of games. Such that I feel the power difference doesn't really matter if you're just going to do console gaming.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44353 Posts

It matters to both consumers and developers however just like preferences it’ll matter to varying degrees depending on the individual and what their needs/wants/expectations may be.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

All that matters to me is the games.

Only takes one must have to get me to buy the systems anyway so it is not a matter of if for me it is always just a matter of when. (runs off the play more Phantasy Star on line 2 on Xbox, and Animal Crossing on Switch, while waiting for Final Fantasy 7 Remake on PS4 in just under 2days).

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

Personally

• I was a big fan of PS1 , PS2 , PS3 , and am a big fan of PS4.
  • I would've picked PS4 over Xbone had the power difference been reversed

I've had the weaker or weakest console on paper or in practice many times , and have noticed some Digital Foundry comparisons in multiplats over the years just because I read neogaf/resetera , system wars , n4g , and enjoy the fanboy wars as entertainment ... and I just shrug to myself when a multiplat is a bit worse or a bit better on PlayStation. It's not a big thing either way. I don't pound my chest or go into full damage control mode.

Power is good , notable generation leaps are good , and talented technical studios are good , and I like good looking games and can be very impressed by PlayStation games... but I've never really needed to have the most powerful console , obviously. It was never the deciding factor on what I chose.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

XBox series x got fanboys applying butthurt cream like it’s going outta fashion

HAH

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

Power is one of the things that matters. Its in the list of things that can help get the 3rd party share. You cant rely on one thing but if your MS you have checked that box. I feel like this next gen they needed to make sure they are not behind. As you said they have been scared when they had power deficit. The next thing is games and will COD be home to xbox again because of that power. Perhaps its a mistake to let sony and activition continue there coziness. This is another thing that none consumer friendly sony does very well. Something that my nice uncle Phil forgot ms used to do it well after the Tomb Raider debacle.

Example when X was released. I remember that e3 MS did not really have new games to showcase the thing. They had anthem and also allowed sony to very much cover most of the third party titles that year. Sony sells people on the exclusive story but there third party deals are underrated. Even the stuff from japan matter when exclusives get delayed.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Of course it does.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

It's technically the smallest gap we have had in awhile. Then you have some devs saying the X is better and others saying the PS5 is better. I'd rather wait to see the games honestly but I imagine they will look mostly identical.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56273 Posts

I'm part of the PCMR clan and don't care which next-gen consoles is powerful, I only care about games and if I want power, my high-end PC can give me that. It only matters if you are a console gamer and that's all their is to it.

@r-gamer said:

It's technically the smallest gap we have had in awhile. Then you have some devs saying the X is better and others saying the PS5 is better. I'd rather wait to see the games honestly but I imagine they will look mostly identical.

It all comes down to, real world performance is the key. It all falls down how developers will take advantage of the hardware they are given.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Don't worry about this, both will be stronger than Nintendo Switch.

what is your obsession with the switch?

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

The power gap is huge this time imo. I went to ps4 last gen because of the power honestly. The gap is more than 18%. The Gpu is way better on the x. I believe the ray tracing will be better too. The x has way better technology this time as far as graphics until Sony proves otherwise. Teraflops are not a accurate way of measuring power. Its a 18 % Teraflop advantage but really the hardware is way above that figure.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

I don't think it matters for people who just want to play games.

We know they will target graphics so the performance will probably suffer in plenty of games. Such that I feel the power difference doesn't really matter if you're just going to do console gaming.

of course it doesnt, It's just a huge issue to the bored troglodytes here who spend more time bitching about it, than "playing their superior system with so many games"

Greygoose12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Greygoose12
Member since 2020 • 220 Posts

You got full bc plus the ability to add hdd to any bc game. Game pass. The xcloud. You can buy the system on payments. Play with your Pc friends. Microsoft holding 16 first party studios now. Games will be rolling out