horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1302 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

If I were to ask about some anime that falls under "slice of life" (I think), what would you guys recommend?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#1303 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

@horgen said:

If I were to ask about some anime that falls under "slice of life" (I think), what would you guys recommend?

Kimagure Orange Road

Grave of the Fireflies

Full Moon wo Sagashite

Clannad

School Rumble

Honey & Clover

Welcome to the NHK

Angel Beats

Hotarubi no Mori e

Your Lie in April

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1304 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@Jag85: I also really liked Your Lie in April.

Clannad is borderline masochistic (and my favorite slice of life).

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1305 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Any good anime that is slice-of-life-like but with some sort of over arching plot? Like Little Witch Academia, Steins; Gate and The Devil is a Part Timer?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1306  Edited By Jag85

@vagrantsnow: The 10 slice-of-life anime I listed above all have an overarching plot.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1307 VagrantSnow

@Jag85 said:

@vagrantsnow: The 10 slice-of-life anime I listed above all have an overarching plot.

Could you tell me a little about them? I've seen Clannad; wouldn't say it really has an overarching plot but it was entertaining. Only managed to watch a couple of episodes of Angel Beats. Was pretty boring. I've heard of Welcome to the NHK, might give it a try. Not interested in movies though.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1308  Edited By Jag85
@vagrantsnow said:

Could you tell me a little about them? I've seen Clannad; wouldn't say it really has an overarching plot but it was entertaining. Only managed to watch a couple of episodes of Angel Beats. Was pretty boring. I've heard of Welcome to the NHK, might give it a try. Not interested in movies though.

Clannad - It sounds like you didn't watch Clannad After Story? While the first season of Clannad was entertaining and didn't really have an overarching plot, After Story does have an overarching plot, and it's a lot more serious (and heart-wrenching).

Angel Beats - The first few episodes of Angel Beats start off slow, but it picks up later on. The second half of the series is where it truly shines, as we learn more about their past lives, especially that of the protagonist.

Welcome to the NHK - About a reclusive NEET basement dweller. The protagonist Sato is similar to Okabe from Steins Gate, acting delusional and believing in some wild conspiracy (seems like Okabe was inspired by Sato).

As for the other shows:

• Kimagure Orange Road - About an esper trying to hide his ESP abilities to fit in at high school, and his love triangle with two gangster chicks. The show's last arc (involving time travel) has a similar plot to the Haruhi and Steins Gate movies (both of which were clearly inspired by Kimagure).
  • Full Moon wo Sagashite - About a girl who can see Shinigami, who reveal she only has one year left to live, and help her pursue her dreams. It's like Ikiru (classic Akira Kurosawa movie) meets Hannah Montana (which is an inferior pale imitation of Full Moon), with Shinigami.
  • School Rumble - About a high-school class and the antics they get up to. The protagonist is an outcast delinquent gangster who tries to fit in, and finds himself caught up in all kinds of shenanigans.
  • Honey & Clover - About a college art class and the antics they get up to during their college years.
  • Your Lie in April - About a boy who used to be a prodigy pianist, and a violinist girl who tries to get him back him into classical music.

And the movies:

• Grave of the Fireflies - Studio Ghibli movie set in World War II, about two siblings trying to survive in wartime Japan.
  • Hotarubi no Mori e - About a girl who goes on holidays to a village, where she becomes friends with a spirit boy in a forest.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1309 VagrantSnow

@Jag85 Yeah I watched After Story too. It was an entertaining show but wasn't a fan of the happy ending.

Gonna give NHK a go. Thanks! :D

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1310 Jag85

@vagrantsnow: The ending of After Story would make more sense if you check out the original Clannad visual novel.

And cool, let me know what you think of NHK.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1311 VagrantSnow

@Jag85 said:

@vagrantsnow: The ending of After Story would make more sense if you check out the original Clannad visual novel.

And cool, let me know what you think of NHK.

It made sense. It just wasn't very good.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1312 Jag85

@vagrantsnow: I didn't like the ending either at first, until after checking out the visual novel, which gives it a different perspective.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1313 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59121 Posts
Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1314  Edited By Jag85

@vagrantsnow:

Oh yeah, there's one more great slice-of-life with an overarching story:

Gundam 0080 - The best show in the Gundam franchise. It's a 1989 OVA series that serves as a spin-off to the original Gundam. But instead of the epic scale and mech battles that Gundam is usually known for, 0080 is a slice-of-life drama about an ordinary boy and his friendship with an enemy pilot. And since it's a standalone spin-off, you can watch 0080 without necessarily needing to watch the original Gundam.

TwistedRKO2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1315 TwistedRKO2012
Member since 2012 • 116 Posts

So....can anyone recommend any good recent anime? There is so many to choose from I've just given up looking XD

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1316 Jag85

@TwistedRKO2012: I'm currently enjoying The Rising of the Shield Hero.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1317 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

https://media.giphy.com/media/10MrzQU61tJlVm/giphy.gif

Hmm... Posting a lot vids from this particular youtuber.

Interesting...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1318 uninspiredcup

@crimsonbrute: I'm secretly working to promote his half a million views videos on a forum with 8 active users.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1319 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Fake news, it was 9 users at it's peak.

https://media.tenor.com/images/2dde64955c6449c43937a74e687be000/tenor.gif

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1320 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Some horrid choice of music/battle theme for Dragon Ball Super Brolly (movie)..lol..otherwise not bad..kinda change all the previous Brolly movies & storyline before it though. lol Cheelai?...glad its not with a b... otherwise slang for vagina in Hokkien usually use for cursing....lol.. :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1321  Edited By uninspiredcup

@superbuuman said:

Some horrid choice of music/battle theme for Dragon Ball Super Brolly (movie)..lol..otherwise not bad..kinda change all the previous Brolly movies & storyline before it though. lol Cheelai?...glad its not with a b... otherwise slang for vagina in Hokkien usually use for cursing....lol.. :P

Loved the music, but then again I do objectively have terrible taste.

Some the changes in the English dialogue rubbed the wrong way.

Like in the Japanese version Whis is saying "Over here", drawing Broly away from Bulma where as in the English version he states "That was a close one", which changes the context entirely.

I kinda hate as well, how in English version - exactly at this point when everything shatters

Loading Video...

The English version talking while the music stops, while in the Japanese version is deliberately suppose to be a cool down moment of silence.

Loading Video...

Just alot of stuff they change the context of. Although some stuff they added (have fun Freeza) is better than the Japanese version, that was a stroke of genius.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1322 superbuuman
@uninspiredcup said:

Like in the Japanese version Whis is saying "Over here", drawing Broly away from Bulma where as in the English version he states "That was a close one", which changes the context entirely.

I kinda hate as well, how in English version - exactly at this point when everything shatters

The English version talking while the music stops, while in the Japanese version is deliberately suppose to be a cool down moment of silence.

Just alot of stuff they change the context of. Although some stuff they added (have fun Freeza) is better than the Japanese version, that was a stroke of genius.

lol yea I dislike..the saying B-R-O-L-Y..and Go-go-go-ge-ta..geta-geta & the oh ay oh -oh ay oh crap...in the battle theme..sounds dumb.. :P . Dang! the Eng dub uses the same bad music..was hoping they'd change it :P ...Agree, they should added wording also (bolded) in Japanese one as well..during that scene.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1323 uninspiredcup

@superbuuman said:
@uninspiredcup said:

lol yea I dislike..the saying B-R-O-L-Y..and Go-go-go-ge-ta..geta-geta & the oh ay oh -oh ay oh crap...in the battle theme..sounds dumb.. :P . Dang! the Eng dub uses the same bad music..was hoping they'd change it :P ...Agree, they should added wording also (bolded) in Japanese one as well..during that scene.

Yea, I can see why that would piss you off, and tbh, if it was in the TV show, probably be "wtf is this shit" as well. In a theatre section with a shared audience participation I think it works a lot better.

The orchestra stuff feels more cinematic, which is the problem with the other (two) movies to me, they felt more like extended episodes, little departures than anything significant. The variations of Broly themes booming capture that scope you want from a dazzling DB fight, especially in a cinema, where you basically want your ear-drums to be damaged by the end of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1324 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Attack on Titan airs this weekend. Looking forward to it :)

Crash6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1325 Crash6
Member since 2004 • 3525 Posts

I'm only three episodes into The Promised Neverland and I'm really enjoying it. Has this weird simultaneous feel of being genuinely creepy but slightly hilarious. Definitely a breath of fresh air for me in the anime section. I thought the first episode was pretty amazing too. One of the best introductory episodes I've seen in a long time.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1326 superbuuman

One Punch Man Season 2...errr...hope its not becoming like My Hero Academia...lol...cause its starting to look like its moving to that...with the Monsters forming a group (Villain in My Hero Academia). :P ..

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1328 Jag85
@uninspiredcup said:

@crimsonbrute: I'm secretly working to promote his half a million views videos on a forum with 8 active users.

In other words, this forum is dead. Where did everyone go? ResetEra?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1329 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:
@uninspiredcup said:

In other words, this forum is dead. Where did everyone go? ResetEra?

No idea.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1330 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8781 Posts

@Jag85: ResetEra? Never heard of it until now. Perhaps I will check it out.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1331 Jag85

@DEVILinIRON said:

@Jag85: ResetEra? Never heard of it until now. Perhaps I will check it out.

I'm sure you must've heard of NeoGAF? ResetEra is basically the new NeoGAF.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1332  Edited By DEVILinIRON

@Jag85: No. But thanks for the semi-suggestion. l've never been a part of the cool kids.

Avatar image for clifford_sexylips
Clifford_Sexylips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1333 Clifford_Sexylips
Member since 2019 • 67 Posts

I'm actually scavenging for animes with the genre of horror and comedy... like the Ghost Stories. Any recommendations?

titanraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1334 titanraven
Member since 2019 • 51 Posts

hey guys! Do you know any Mythology anime? :)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1335 Jag85

After being in development hell for well over a decade, the Akira live-action movie is finally happening:

Taika Waititi's 'Akira' Sets 2021 Release Date

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1336 DEVILinIRON

This one's a toss up for being good or bad imo.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1337  Edited By Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

I've watched a bt bit of anime now and Video games are still #1 but this is interesting.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1338  Edited By Jag85

@DEVILinIRON said:

This one's a toss up for being good or bad imo.

Taika Waititi gives me some hope that the Akira live-action movie won't turn out to be trash.

nightshade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1339 nightshade85
Member since 2004 • 5654 Posts

Best Anime : Angel Cop(OVA) - I say that because how funny the english dub is - it had a term called "fifteening" - which was adding excessive swear words in every scene. Its a great watch there is loads of gore/telekensis/saying the f word for no reason over and over.

Vampire hunter D is really above par. I also like the series bokurano and bacano. Bokurano was about kids having to sac their lives to defend a giant robot in Japan. (sad show- very good) Bacano is a mobster 1920s style show where they are on a train. Not gorey or over the top - its really cool - I would recommend it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1341  Edited By uninspiredcup

Bizarre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49027178

Avatar image for adingoatemybaby
ADingoAteMyBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1342 ADingoAteMyBaby
Member since 2016 • 63 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Bizarre.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-49027178

Wow, 33 people killed. I wonder what the record is of most people killed in an arson attack?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1343 uninspiredcup

I love the Sendō Takeshi fight twist where we fight out he was knocked out by the temple shot.

Such a godly animoo.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1345  Edited By Jag85

@uninspiredcup: It's sad to know the victims include KyoAni staff who produced some of my favourite anime (e.g. Clannad, Full Metal Panic, Haruhi, A Silent Voice, Hyouka, Kanon, etc.). They were some of the best animators around. What a tragic loss of life, and a loss of talent. RIP.

As for the attacker, it appears he was some deranged Otaku. And may have been a 2chan user. For some reason, these "chan" sites produce some of the most deranged human trash.

myfifa20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1346  Edited By myfifa20
Member since 2019 • 1 Posts

I recently watched Kimetsu no Yaiba and I love it.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1347 uninspiredcup

Going through the translated VIZ Super mangas, the animation really does deviate in the worst possible ways, done a very bad job compared to the original and Z of translating Toyotarou's action panels into motion.

The new arc is great and hopefully whatever comes they will have got their shit together.

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1348 DEVILinIRON

I declare the next anime I watch wiil be Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust!

David_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1349 David_G
Member since 2019 • 7 Posts

What's the best anime for you guys?

DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1350  Edited By DEVILinIRON

@david_g: Vampire Hunter D movies, Redline, and almost every Studio Ghibli film, to start.