elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

User Lists: 0

#1001  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

yes, I'm interested to see how Windows handles HDR in the future. hopefully better implemented by the time I actually get my hands on a current gen card.

having been through 2 HDR displays now that ran through DisplayPort 1.4 I was very disappointed how it was implemented. both panels lead to Windows constantly having screen corruption when switching from fullscreen windows where I would have to enable\disable HDR in Windows' settings over & over, and most of the time I would have to relaunch HDR enabled games many times, before the colors and aspect ratios would display correctly. it always worked well when just watching HDR video content, maybe because the video player handled the output. but just regular browsing, games and applications it gave me nothing but headache. ended up ditching both, 16:9(IPS) and 21:9(VA) 1440p high refresh rate displays, for my current high % DCI- P3 panel that when configured correctly matches and even surpasses a lot of HDR panel's image quality.

fingers crossed for the future of high res\refresh\color.

Avatar image for dirty_old_klunt
Dirty_Old_Klunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1002 Dirty_Old_Klunt
Member since 2020 • 20 Posts

I've had issues with RDR2 and HDR. Bit of a nightmare, when you get it working though it's just gorgeous. Using an LGC8 65" with RGB/Full/8bit because only HDMI 2.0 :(.

My son has a C9 in his room, Gsync, hdmi 2.1, 4k/120. Not fair.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1003 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

This build is giving me a little headache. Waiting for fans. CPU not ordered yet. The headache is where and how to place the waterpump/res combo.

The most fitting place is the white "bridge". I have bought a thing for placing it on fans, but it seems to crash with something either way. Top fan spot on rad is to high up. Low spot on radiator and it seems to crash with GPU. The clearance there is extremely small. Will test when I get fast though.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#1004 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17834 Posts

@horgen: I don't have any experience with custom water loops. So, I can't be of much help. It is a nice case though. :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1005 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

@horgen: I don't have any experience with custom water loops. So, I can't be of much help. It is a nice case though. :)

It's no other way to cool GPUs really. I could toss in a bios modded 3090 with 500W power limit or more and not really worry about heat. The limiting factor would be from GPU to waterblock. Got plenty of radiator surface area.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1006  Edited By elessarGObonzo

@horgen:is the white "bridge" not removable? what is the point of it exactly, just cable hiding\management? looks like without it there you'd have a good spot attached to the floor.

@horgen said:

It's no other way to cool GPUs really...

i've never had a GPU that reaches even 70°, usually much closer to 60° even with nice overclocks and intense usage. though i've always setup my cases with excellent airflow. how low are you staying that it makes you say water-cooling's the only way to go?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1007 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:

@horgen:is the white "bridge" not removable? what is the point of it exactly, just cable hiding\management? looks like without it there you'd have a good spot attached to the floor.

@horgen said:

It's no other way to cool GPUs really...

i've never had a GPU that reaches even 70°, usually much closer to 60° even with nice overclocks and intense usage. though i've always setup my cases with excellent airflow. how low are you staying that it makes you say water-cooling's the only way to go?

It's a black cover that I can't remove under it without showing the whole PSU as well.

I use my GPUs for folding when I am not gaming. They run max 24/7. Nvidia starts their throttling at 50 something degrees I think. My 3080 doesn't go above 40. I've had dual 980Ti running silently.

Yeah good airflow helps... But fans at 1000rpm and above are far from silent.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1008 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:

It's a black cover that I can't remove under it without showing the whole PSU as well.

I use my GPUs for folding when I am not gaming. They run max 24/7. Nvidia starts their throttling at 50 something degrees I think. My 3080 doesn't go above 40. I've had dual 980Ti running silently.

Yeah good airflow helps... But fans at 1000rpm and above are far from silent.

even while running very GPU intensive games\benchmarks you only reach 40°C? i'd say that could be worth the hassle.

my GPU fan curve(s) is set to max @ 85% for my center fan and 75% for front\back fans. though nowhere near silent while really pressing the card, with a game running I still cannot hear it at all over my speakers. all three slowing down to ~20% while idle, the entire system is inaudible even over my ceiling fan at low usage.

i've considered moving up to a 3090 water block setup, still if they ever become available for me. though a lot of the forums i've visited claim they aren't getting the results they had hoped for; still getting higher than expected temps and noise with a good setup. it will probably depend on which card becomes available first, which way i end up going.

your setup looks nice so far. i've always liked black & white setups better than other color scheme. i went with silver & black with my current build and it's definitely not as appealing to look at as my old black\white builds.

could you maybe fasten your waterpump/res combo to the slits or holes in the bridge with straps or some kind of ties?:

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1009 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: Note that I took the big purchases regarding water cooling years ago. Today I don't know if I would have gone that route. The coolers today are massive and improved from say GTX680 generation cards (which wasn't a loud card either). The radiator I use today on my main rig costs a f... 240$ if I want it now. With lower fan speed air cooling does wonders. When I switch to a new case on my main rig I will see if I can't hide the pump and wrap it up in sound dampening materials.

The 3090 suffers mostly from a high power usage. The 3070 and above (maybe lower cards as well) needs voltage adjustments. I went for reference design on my 3080 and the power limit is 350W. I hit that with 950mV on the core. It might reach 1980MHz, but mostly it will be at 1965MHz. Ref 3090 has 375W power limit I think. Some 3d parts versions has 450W, and there are bios for 500W or so.

Are Nvidia and AMD creating a supply problem these days? I'm looking at the 5600 series CPU from AMD. Hoping the one without X will be released soon. As 5600X is sold out. Hell I am still waiting on a PSU I ordered in August.

Yeah I am thinking about using that white bridge to fasten the res/combo. I am waiting on parts to do so. Sold out in my country so I had to order from abroad. Hopefully it will be here within 10 work days. I've done some measurements so it should fit. I will still put some electrical tape over the feet/bottom part of the pump in case it ever slides down and touches the GPU.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1011  Edited By horgen  Moderator

So I ended up with the R5 3600XT. That way I can put together most of my rig now. Is the Hyper 212 a better cooler than wraith prism from AMD?

Edit: It appears I do not have that choice. The 212 is to old for the AM4 board. So I got the cooler that came with the 3600XT and the slightly bigger that I got with 3900X that I use in my main rig.

I am not using a stock cooler on this. That's not happening. Radiator in front, the air will already be over room temp once it reaches the CPU cooler. Besides I want it as silent as possible.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1012 elessarGObonzo

@horgen said:

So I ended up with the R5 3600XT. That way I can put together most of my rig now. Is the Hyper 212 a better cooler than wraith prism from AMD?

Edit: It appears I do not have that choice. The 212 is to old for the AM4 board. So I got the cooler that came with the 3600XT and the slightly bigger that I got with 3900X that I use in my main rig.

the newer CM Black Edition 212s should fit\work fine with AM4 sockets. though they definitely don't hold up like they used to compared to other cooler's these days. i would guess with some very high quality replacement fans it should work fine though.

for air cooling i've seen nothing but good reports about the be quiet! Dark Rock series.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1013  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:
@horgen said:

the newer CM Black Edition 212s should fit\work fine with AM4 sockets. though they definitely don't hold up like they used to compared to other cooler's these days. i would guess with some very high quality replacement fans it should work fine though.

for air cooling i've seen nothing but good reports about the be quiet! Dark Rock series.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is another alternative. I see it is listed as TDP 250W on their website. Noctua doesn't give a number.

Hmm I will do some more research.

Edit: OK so I've seen pics now with the Noctua NH-D15 fitting. https://www.reddit.com/r/NZXT/comments/eskecn/h210_and_noctua_nhd15/ (linking seems to be failing me in editing).

Removing the upper fan is no issue, however it means a slightly different route for my loop.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1014 horgen  Moderator

Small update

However I took these pictures I see the reason for something that annoys me. I had to buy more clamps. Thought 16-22mm was a reasonable size due to tubing being 19mm outer diameter. What I had before was 13-19(didn't know this). The 16-22 clamps only create pressure on a opposing sides on the tubing, not all the way around. Oh and the "Y" part is to easier drain it later on. Honestly considering using zip-ties on the tubing. :P

Yeah compression fittings would be nicer to look at. But too thick to use some places.

The cooler doesn't really fit. Not compatible with AM4. Res/pump isn't held by anything, the case is laying on its side.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1015 horgen  Moderator

Naturally the old 90 degrees svivels I had from EK are leaking. I do got another 2 of the newer kind, I hope they don't leak, and that only two of the old ones are leaking.. I got a third one as well.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1016 horgen  Moderator

Unsure why the picture is tilted 90 degrees.

Anyhow it is a pwm pump and without any pwm signal it goes full speed. Which is way to much for this little loop. I will either have to finish the build completely or connect the secondary (blue/green cables in picture) to another PC and set the pump speed way lower. Atm I can not drain the loop for airbubbles.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1017 BassMan

@horgen: Bubbles and shiny fittings! hehe :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1018 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan: Yeah, sadly the clamps aren't as shiny anymore. The store didn't have the old ones that were shiny =(

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1019  Edited By horgen  Moderator

Hmm the pump runs quite hot. I don't know if this is acceptable or not.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1020 horgen  Moderator

Lots of space.

Asrock B550 ITX, RTX2080 watercooled. R5 3600XT with Noctua Chromax NH-D15

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1021  Edited By BassMan

@horgen: Damn, that is tight, but u made it work. Congrats.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1022 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan: Thanks! The front fans are on the outside :P

There is less clearing between rear case fan and CPU heatsink than it is between front half of CPU heatsink and CPU fan.

One thing I will change before summer, and another thing I will change later on are two fans. I bought one of these Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM fans. Will replace the other two 120mm fans I got with those. CPU runs a little hot. Might get a thin fan and place as intake at the top.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1023  Edited By BassMan

@horgen: Why not just use a bigger case though? Does it have to be that small?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1024 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan: Max height was 36.5cm due to placement issues. It might be worth knowing this PC is mainly used by my parents. I throw in an old GPU and use it for folding. Previous PC is a Corsair Obsidian 550D case with 3570K CPU and DDR3 1600MHz RAM. The newest part is the GTX 1060 with failing fans. I expect the GPU is the only part I will change here in (in this updated pc) the next 5-8 years.

Had to get it off the floor and the desk is to small to have it there. Dad got injuried years ago and struggle with walking. I suspect he has hit the case a few times with his walker.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1026  Edited By elessarGObonzo

finally getting on to a new build as an upgrade to my main system, anticipating an i7-11700K in the near future and of course an RTX 30 series someday.

-

parts already ordered;

Prolimatech Pro PK-3 Nano Aluminum Thermal Compound

ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming

G.Skill Trident Z 3200 CL14 2x16GB Black\Silver

Corsair Force MP510 NVMe M.2 480GB

+ GPU, case, cooling setup, PSU, & drives from my current main system.

-

have a 240GB SSD, couple spare HDDs, an EVGA CLC 280, and a couple spare cases to choose from so my current main components will have most of a new home prepared for them. just need to find a high-quality "budget" PSU for it. hopefully will have a replacement for my 1080 Ti to also move it there soon.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1027 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: 3900X and 3080... watercooled

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1028  Edited By elessarGObonzo

Z590 build is coming along. Rocket Lake 11700K scheduled to arrive April, 1.

not the black\silver RAM i ordered, but i like this darker set even better and specs are the same.

in regards to getting my hands on a 3090; starting to look into prebuilts that include one i can just disassemble and sell for parts to make the difference back.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1029 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: High clock speed on those CPUs. Wonder how hot they will run.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1030  Edited By elessarGObonzo

found a temporary stand-in GPU for the new build. got an offer from our local computer store to buy an AMD RX 6700 XT for a decent price. was surprised since he's been scalping RTX cards for 3-4x the MSRP. maybe he felt bad since i've been giving him a lot of grief about being a jerk scalper?

definitely not the same quality as the higher end RTX 30s i've been trying to get. but it outperforms the 1080 Ti at 1440\2160p even with ray tracing enabled. considering i've paid the exact same price for the 6700 XT as i did for the 1080 Ti 4 years ago and definitely will have no trouble unloading it when something better comes along, i'd say it was a decent deal. should be picking it up Monday...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1031 BassMan

@elessarGObonzo: How are you liking the 6700 XT?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1032 elessarGObonzo

@BassMan: 11700K got delayed until tomorrow, so will be setting it all up Friday evening. anticipation is killing me seeing the rest of the components sitting here for this long...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1033 BassMan

@elessarGObonzo:

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1034  Edited By elessarGObonzo

Z590(11700K\RX 6700 XT\32GB 3200 CL14) upgrade finally put together. a bit more cable routing and it should be done for now.

started as a pretty easy swap until one calamity. dropped an Intel cooler standoff into the case and it has miraculously disappeared. scoured the entire work area multiple times, totally dismantled everything in the case. added a couple hours of build time maybe. all i could imagine is that it is stuck behind a motherboard heatsink or lodged into a case crevice somewhere but i shook the board and case as hard as i could and hear nothing. probably will find it somewhere in the room a while from now and just wonder, "what the f*ck is this doing here?". luckily still had another matching set from an old cooler.

@horgen said:

@elessarGObonzo: High clock speed on those CPUs. Wonder how hot they will run.

amazingly cool. idling in the 20s, gaming in the 50s, stress testing 60s. i think my old Artic Silver was a bit passed it's prime may be why my 8700K was ~10° higher in each scenario. the Prolima PK-3 i got is great though.

no overclock \ no customizing the BIOS yet. crazy stock boosts to 5GHz. i may actually just work on lowing voltage and leaving stock speeds, haven't really decided yet.

@BassMan said:

@elessarGObonzo: How are you liking the 6700 XT?

a giant card, at least .25" thicker and longer than the 1080 Ti and much heavier. the Z590 motherboard came with a cool magnetized GPU support stand which is great for a massive card like this.

definitely not overwhelming performance-wise compared to the old GTX but a bit of a boost and runs a little cooler & quieter. stock core & memory speeds are higher than my old overclocks were. Time Spy & Firestrike Extreme scores 3-4000 points higher. ~10fps more in AC: Odyssey. ~10fps more in Horizon Zero Dawn, though i also boosted settings from a mix of med-ultra to all ultra. pretty much the same fps in Cyberpunk 2077 v1.2 with a few settings moved from med>high & high>ultra, with Ray Tracing enabled fps drops from 70s > ~20. we'll see how well it does all around after i've gone through overclocking.

definitely do not like Adrenaline software compared to Nvidia Control Panel. too much advertising and clutter everywhere.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1035  Edited By BassMan

@elessarGObonzo: Looking good. The brace is funny. I am yet to use one as the cards I buy usually have strong back plates and the mobos have reinforced PCI-E slots. So, GPU sag has never been an issue. 6700 XT is a good card. Hopefully, you can land one of the better cards soon though.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1036  Edited By elessarGObonzo

new computer desk. previous didn't give enough room so armrests were always knocking and the veneer was flaking off everywhere. had almost forgotten how much of a pain in the *** it can be putting large furniture together. also giving me a good opportunity to properly manage all of the cables coming and going throughout the area, eventually.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1037 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

So I am selling my build this week.

As I mentioned before I noticed a year ago I was playing less and less games on PC that require a KB/M and would much rather sit back on my couch and game with a controller. It's why I had my PC connected to a TV.

I'll be getting a PS5 and XSX when they are available at MSRP and in stock to get all games.

I got a MacBook Air with a m1 chip in Silver with 8GB RAM and a 512GB NVME with 8c CPU/GPU to edit my photo's on and do my general web browsing on, and it works flawlessly and makes no noise what so ever... I also have it hooked up to my NAS with 4x 8TB WD Red Drives, and a QGeen thunderbolt 3 5K Dock with all the ports I need.

Also Apple silicon... God damn AMD and Intel are in f***ing trouble. I have no fan in my air and it destroys Ryzen 7 and i7 chips when its not even plugged into the wall in Cinebench.

Spent 4 hours editing photo's in my living room yesterday on battery and still had 48% left, f***ing incredible and it never made a single sound or heated up, just got a little warm.

Will up getting a 14/16" Pro when the M2/3 comes around in 2-3 years from now, but as of right now Im extremely impressed and satisfied with the Air, meets all my needs even tried out Nvidia GeForce Now and its not bad.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1038 BassMan

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1039 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@BassMan said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf:

Nah gaming is dead to me, there's nothing I am interested in sitting down and playing hours on anymore.

VR had me but no games, it was Half Life Alyx then ghost town.

The M1 mac is a beast... Editing 4K 10 bit footage from a Panasonic S5?... With 8GB of ram on a 13" laptop with no fan?!... no luck needed.

Good luck to gamers though you guys hang in there.

I will get the consoles because they are cheap and can hide in my cabinet for the months or weeks in between games I actually play. My PC was collecting dust, if things change I can re-build a new setup but nah... Would rather watch Judge Judy while drinking a coffee and editing photo's than play any game out now to be perfectly honest with you.

Will still be here though as the anticipation for a game us unfortunately better than the actual game these days.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1040 horgen  Moderator

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Yeah the M1 chip is a beast for the power it uses. If it is used in an iPad, that might lead me to upgrade there. My current one is about 4-5 years old or so, iPad Pro 10.5 inch. Had the fourth gen before that, second with Retina display I think.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1041  Edited By elessarGObonzo

finally got access to a better RTX card:

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1042  Edited By BassMan

@elessarGObonzo:

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1043 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo: What did you have?

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1044 elessarGObonzo
@horgen said:

was still using the disappointing RX 6700 XT. MUCH better performance now, that i've been waiting for since the RTX 3080-90s first dropped.

Bluudynuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1045 Bluudynuckles
Member since 2015 • 157 Posts

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1046  Edited By BassMan

@bluudynuckles: Baby Yoda/Grogu FTW! :)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1047 horgen  Moderator

@elessarGObonzo said:
@horgen said:

was still using the disappointing RX 6700 XT. MUCH better performance now, that i've been waiting for since the RTX 3080-90s first dropped.

I only had to wait 6 weeks for my 3080. Ordered it a few minutes after launch, took 45 minutes for the order to be confirmed.

Now the webshop I used messed up the launch and started selling them 15 minutes early so of course everything was sold out by the time I actually got to it, but they still took my order in. They stopped with those after an hour or two I believe.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1049 horgen  Moderator

Guys. How long is an acceptable time to wait for new PSU after ordering it?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1050 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@horgen: I get everything within a few days, but I only order computer marts from my own country and marked "in stock". But even if you ordered it from abroad, I don't see why it would take more than a few weeks.