GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1202  Edited By GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2459 Posts

This is the rest of my 9 year olds build. We actually powered it on a few hours ago. I'll share a pic of the finished product. He has no idea how lucky he is but he did all the work himself!

Ryzen 7 7700X
RTX 4070
32GB DDR5 RAM
2 1TB m.2 SSDs

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

User Lists: 0

#1203  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@ghostofgolden: That is a nice rig at any age, but I would be in heaven as a 9 year old with that rig.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1204 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3225 Posts

@ghostofgolden:

That's nice that your child has a good gaming PC. Hope he likes it :)

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1205 GhostOfGolden

He finished the build! Works like a charm. Now to get him playing “real” games…

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1206  Edited By Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2411 Posts

Spent hours yesterday building my six hard drive, one SSD NAS from its mid ATX case into the Fractal Design Define 7 XL. The instructions were bad, so it was like figuring out a puzzles.

Spent several more hours, mostly today, troubleshooting why it wouldn't power on. One of the SATA power cables was not compatible, from a different PSU manufacturer, I think. From an old PSU I threw away. So I used my extension cable and now have like five hard drives connected to one plug. Corsair CX650M. I had to store almost all of the hard drives near the bottom because of the limited reach of those SATA power cables. I saw Linus (Yeah, I know...) use a RAID card that has just two SATA cable plugs but with cables that split into many when he demonstrated this case, but the card was about 400 dollars and I don't do RAID in TrueNAS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09L42N4QX

I use this cheap thing. Will replace it one day.

Moved the top fan to the bottom too.

Have it in a corner behind my bicycle and Blu-ray cabinet where the robot vacuum won't bump it.

So glad this is over, because the last part was seriously making me unhappy. I like the case. Can confidently throw the box away.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1207  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun: That is a nice case. Similar to my Define R5. Sleek, simple, and sexy. :)

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1208 Warm_Gun

Since I use the keyboard with the TV much more now thanks to the small, low desk that I can roll away when not in use, I thought of putting the full sized keyboard back on the desk.

Nope, nope, nope. It sucks! So much space used because of the navigation keys and number pad, the mouse so far away if you want to keep the alphabet centered for your typing.

Got the 84-key board in 2022 because I wanted something smaller for a coffee table at the time, which I no longer use. To think I only realized how crappy full sized keyboards are because of that.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1209 BassMan

@warm_gun: I love full size keyboards. I actually make use of all the keys. Especially the num pad.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1210  Edited By Warm_Gun

Since I last posted in that System Wars thread that's no longer stickied, I replaced my Sony tower speakers and subwoofer with Q Acoustics 3050 and SVS SB-1000, installed acoustic panels behind the first reflection point (which probably do almost nothing because of how acoustically compromised my room supposedly is), replaced the TV cabinet with a VESA mount, put the computer desk inside the in-wall closet and the dresser by the window where the desk was, and purchased a rolling desk (that comes up to a little under 24 inches after modification).

You can see holes in the wall above the green chair where Atmos speakers used to hang. Tried the Atmos speakers front-high for a few years. Found that it made the sound stage too front-heavy and made it too difficult to tell what sounds were going above. Then spent a year and a half with the Atmos speakers hanging from upside-down wall-mounted bookshelf arms above the seat, pointing straight down, since I live in an apartment that I can't install ceiling speakers in and the seat was at the wall. However, I realized that having the seat right up against the wall probably wasn't good for reflections. My head is now about fifteen inches from the wall when I sit there and the Atmos speakers were slightly behind my head. Also found that having the two Atmos speakers almost directly above made the sound stage too back-heavy. So, after five or six years with Atmos, I finally removed the Atmos speakers from my system. "Downgraded" from 5.1.2 to 4.1. (No center speaker anymore either because I could never get the speaker high enough beneath the TV and I rarely watch with other people anyway, meaning that not sitting in the center is almost never a problem and the phantom center of two front speakers makes more sense.) Almost all the movies I watch are in two-dimensional surround, mono or matrixed stereo. When I watch older movies with Atmos mixes, I almost always pick the older sound mixes because they're more tastefully done. I can point to several mixes where some of the height effects don't make sense. It's like they place the sounds there just so that listeners are satisfied that all their speakers are used. (Not to mention the LFE being too strong in some of the Atmos remixes.) Atmos and DTS:X make up such a minority of the content I consume. If you can't sit in the center of your listening space, if your seat is right up against the back wall or almost, don't bother with Atmos. The height effects will be largely wasted and sound more gimmicky than they should.

I will fill those holes with plaster at some point. The bucket of plaster is by my left surround, acting as a doorstop.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1211  Edited By Warm_Gun

Go with this configuration if you can accommodate it, you centered under four speakers...

https://www.dolby.com/about/support/guide/speaker-setup-guides/7.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide/

...or don't bother with Atmos.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1212  Edited By BassMan

@warm_gun: Some nice gear and setup changes. You really should just paint that wall matte black instead of hanging those sheets. It would look less ghetto.

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1213 Warm_Gun

I put in a USB 3.2 front panel with a 3.5 to 5.25" adapter bracket. The fit was a little awkward. Panel is not completely flush with the adapter bracket, but slightly back. Wanted it to have a memory card reader for the music that I transfer to my slow-transferring portable music player.

Only problem now is that my SATA power cable doesn't have enough reach for both the Blu-ray drive and new front panel. (The panel needs PSU power.) I ordered a short IDE to SATA cable.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1214  Edited By BassMan

Some new audio gear...

Kali Audio IN-8 V2 Studio Monitors/Speakers

Sennheiser HD 490 PRO Professional Studio Reference Headphones

Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless Headphones

Novation FLkey 61 MIDI Controller Keyboard

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@BassMan: Sound studio you are setting up? I really like the set-up Bass.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1216 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56108 Posts

@warm_gun: Your desktop looks similar to my own set. Not bad at all👍

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1217  Edited By BassMan

@davillain: Thanks. Yeah, just upgrading/changing some old gear that I have used for many years. Everything sounds and works great. :)

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1218 GhostOfGolden

Working on this thing right now. 2 20 core CPUs. 768GB of RAM. I might be able to finally run Crysis!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1219  Edited By BassMan

@ghostofgolden: Nope. still won't run Crysis. Swap to the Ada RTX 6000 and u might have a chance.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1220 GhostOfGolden

@BassMan said:

@ghostofgolden: Nope. still won't run Crysis. Swap to the Ada RTX 6000 and u might have a chance.

The RTX 6000 Ada finally got FDA clearance mid-last year. I should get my hands on those sometime this summer. Probably bump up to 1TB of RAM too. Then Crysis at a locked 30fps will be mine!