Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1151 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

@horgen: That sucks. Definitely RMA that shit.

Done so. Hope they accept it. Due to price differences between this old card and the newer gen there is a good chance that I won’t get anything better than 4070.

Getting the 4080 in return. Demo goods though, so might have been returned by another customer for some reason or another.

I don’t have this new connector (some) of these cards use… Might need a new psu.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#1152  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17832 Posts
@horgen said:
@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

@horgen: That sucks. Definitely RMA that shit.

Done so. Hope they accept it. Due to price differences between this old card and the newer gen there is a good chance that I won’t get anything better than 4070.

Getting the 4080 in return. Demo goods though, so might have been returned by another customer for some reason or another.

I don’t have this new connector (some) of these cards use… Might need a new psu.

That is a nice score if you are getting a 4080 out of it. Congrats!

As for the PSU, I run my 4090 off the same 850W PSU I have had for years. I just use the adapter. Sure, it is not the prettiest bunch of cables, but I run a closed case with no windows and the cables do not block the airflow. So, it doesn't bother me....

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1153 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

As for the PSU, I run my 4090 off the same 850W PSU I have had for years. I just use the adapter. Sure, it is not the prettiest bunch of cables, but I run a closed case with no windows and the cables do not block the airflow. So, it doesn't bother me....

Well they don’t have a 3080 to send me, and given that I get an actual upgrade, I am more inclined to spend money there in the future.

Not to long ago someone returned a 1080Ti and got a 3070 or 3070Ti in return.

The PSU got enough power, however thinking about making bigger changes to my set up. Going for air cooling or closed loop on the CPU. Custom loop 360 radiator with Noctua NF-A 120 fans for the GPU. Powered by the DDC pump. Today I got a full custom loop and probably enough cooling capacity to get dual 4090.

I already got a smaller scale of this set up on a folding computer and it runs surprisengly quiet. Temp aren’t that great but still sub 60 on the GPU. With a 240 radiator.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1154 horgen  Moderator

Got Asus TUF 4080... It's massive.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1155  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56214 Posts

Yes!!! My RTX 4070 has finally arrived! (@BassMan@horgen)

For those who are curious as to why I got this. Simply put, I like the power consumption it's packing with and since I only game in 1440p, it's perfect for my gaming needs. Plus, Nvidia already confirmed we won't be seeing RTX 50XX series until 2025, so I've plain to use the 4070 just 2 years until next-gen GPU arrives asap.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1156 BassMan

@davillain: Congrats. Enjoy the frame generation feature. It is pretty cool.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1157  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@davillain: Congrats. I had to pull out my 4080 due to issues. Might be PSU related.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1158 BassMan

@horgen said:

@davillain: Congrats. I had to pull out my 4080 due to issues. Might be PSU related.

Don't rule out your motherboard being the source of the problems. I had stability issues with my old 2080 Ti build and the motherboard was the culprit.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1159 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:
@horgen said:

Don't rule out your motherboard being the source of the problems. I had stability issues with my old 2080 Ti build and the motherboard was the culprit.

How do I test that?
Like I hope the 4080 still works properly. Already killed a 3080.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1160  Edited By BassMan

@horgen: It depends on the symptoms. I had a Zotac 2080 Ti paired with a 9900K and I would randomly get crashes to desktop when playing games but never full system crashes. Some games it was worse than others. Battlefield V was my main game and it would drive me nuts when I would get a CTD in the middle of a match. I tried to troubleshoot it. I did everything I could on the software and configuration side (including a format and fresh Windows install) and I was still getting crashes. So, I RMA the Zotac and they sent me another one and it was the same issue. I thought it may have just been a compatibility thing so I sold the Zotac and bought an MSI 2080 Ti and still issues.

I tried flashing my mobo BIOS again to the latest and it actually got bricked and it was out of warranty. I had enough at that point and I used it as an excuse to upgrade. I bought a 5950X and new mobo, reused my same RAM, SSDs, PSU, etc. and never had any issues with the 2080 Ti, 3080, and now the 4090. I sold my 9900K to another guy and he also has not had any issues with it. So, the motherboard was definitely the culprit. The worst part is the system was rock solid when I first built it. Then something happened to the motherboard and it became faulty. I could have avoided a lot of headaches if I had seriously suspected the mobo earlier.

I recommend trying your 4080 on another system to rule out the GPU. Although, this can be tricky when the crashes are random like in my case. If it is a PSU issue, it would most likely cause full system shutdowns or hard crashes under heavy loads.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1161 DaVillain  Moderator

I forgot to mention that I also bought a new CPU cooler as I don't trust using AIO coolers. Replace it with the Deepcool Assassin 4 as I've seen a few reviews and was very impressed with the results. Also, RTX 4070 is up and running.

I was considering buying cablemod angled adapter but since the reports are saying you gotta make sure it's all the way in, no need for an adapter and it turns out alright in the end. Love the new CPU cooler as it's slick and good-looking. Cools well on my Ryzen 9 5900X.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1162 DaVillain  Moderator

@BassMan said:

@horgen: It depends on the symptoms. I had a Zotac 2080 Ti paired with a 9900K and I would randomly get crashes to desktop when playing games but never full system crashes. Some games it was worse than others. Battlefield V was my main game and it would drive me nuts when I would get a CTD in the middle of a match. I tried to troubleshoot it. I did everything I could on the software and configuration side (including a format and fresh Windows install) and I was still getting crashes. So, I RMA the Zotac and they sent me another one and it was the same issue. I thought it may have just been a compatibility thing so I sold the Zotac and bought an MSI 2080 Ti and still issues.

I tried flashing my mobo BIOS again to the latest and it actually got bricked and it was out of warranty. I had enough at that point and I used it as an excuse to upgrade. I bought a 5950X and new mobo, reused my same RAM, SSDs, PSU, etc. and never had any issues with the 2080 Ti, 3080, and now the 4090. I sold my 9900K to another guy and he also has not had any issues with it. So, the motherboard was definitely the culprit. The worst part is the system was rock solid when I first built it. Then something happened to the motherboard and it became faulty. I could have avoided a lot of headaches if I had seriously suspected the mobo earlier.

I recommend trying your 4080 on another system to rule out the GPU. Although, this can be tricky when the crashes are random like in my case. If it is a PSU issue, it would most likely cause full system shutdowns or hard crashes under heavy loads.

I remember my MSI MB was giving me problems as I just replace it with the Asrock Steel Legend and everything works well. At the time, I thought I'd killed my 5900X, turns out it was a defective MB from MSI. Never again will I buy their MBs.

GPUs rarely die out and CPUs with great care can last longer. An RTX 4080 shouldn't be the culprit, must be the MB or the CPU. PSU nowadays has safe shutdowns and normally that's a good thing.

By the way BassMan, at the time, did you ever download the latest bios on your previous MB?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1163 horgen  Moderator

@davillain said:
@BassMan said:

I remember my MSI MB was giving me problems as I just replace it with the Asrock Steel Legend and everything works well. At the time, I thought I'd killed my 5900X, turns out it was a defective MB from MSI. Never again will I buy their MBs.

GPUs rarely die out and CPUs with great care can last longer. An RTX 4080 shouldn't be the culprit, must be the MB or the CPU. PSU nowadays has safe shutdowns and normally that's a good thing.

By the way BassMan, at the time, did you ever download the latest bios on your previous MB?

The PSU is the oldest component in it now. The 4080 is just a few months old. Ran stable for a month or two, now it is a lottery if it works or not when hooked up in the computer.

EVGA G2 1300W PSU. Bought it years ago, before the RTX 2080 was released. Had 980Ti SLI for sometime, after 10X0 generation had been released. So it is a few years old.

After some research. PSU is from 2015. Could it be the culprit?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1164  Edited By BassMan

@davillain: I had tried multiple BIOS/firmware and even reverting back to older ones in hopes to get stability back, but no luck.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1165 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

From extremely little testing this time around, it does however seem to be exactly like last time. When the GPU gets medium or heavier load, the system will crash. It might load up and start Skyrim but once a dragon shows which causes the gpu to work harder, it fails.

If we assume the mobo is the culprit, how on earth do I test it?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1166 BassMan

@horgen: Are you getting crash to desktop or full system crashes?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1167 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:

Full crash. I still have the old components (Mobo/CPU/RAM) I think I will try to connecting the 4080 to that and see if I can get the same error or not.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1168 BassMan

@horgen said:
@BassMan said:

Full crash. I still have the old components (Mobo/CPU/RAM) I think I will try to connecting the 4080 to that and see if I can get the same error or not.

Could be the PSU or the VRMs on the motherboard are faulty.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1169 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan: Tested with the old mobo combo. No issues so far.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1170 horgen  Moderator

These cablemods 180 degree angled adapters. Are they of solid quality? Given the width of my case, I'll need some kind of angled adapter as I don't have 35mm ++ from the power connector on the card to the case wall.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1171  Edited By horgen  Moderator

Did some leak testing yesterday. Glad I did as one of the older 90 degrees I had from EKWB had a leak. The RGB on new EKWB is way to bright so I will be turning those off.

I am waiting on a new PSU, and considering getting a different fan controller. AquaComputer has one I think will suit this rig nicely. I already got one from them, but it is mostly geared towards the older 3pin fans, not the 4pin fans I use today.

@BassMan @davillain any 90 degree adapters you can recommend from Amazon? I am not sure exactly what I should be looking for, as I don't know if the new PSU comes with HVPWR cable or not.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1172  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@horgen: I would check out CableMod site as it's hard to pinpoint exactly what brand to recommend on Amazon. Link: Cablemod sleeves

Edit: If that's not good, try this on Amazon 90 degree angle adapter

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1173  Edited By horgen  Moderator

@davillain said:

@horgen: I would check out CableMod site as it's hard to pinpoint exactly what brand to recommend on Amazon. Link: Cablemod sleeves

Edit: If that's not good, try this on Amazon 90 degree angle adapter

Thank you. I hope it extends enough to not crash with the tubing below the card. I'll also look into what cablemod has. The new PSU won't arrive for another week or 10 days I think. The shop is getting it at the end of this month I think.

Another issue is the Armoury Crate program Asus uses to control fans. The fan control itself seems OK, however they don't get the correct CPU temperature. It claims my CPU holds 11C.. Which is quite below room temperature.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1174  Edited By BassMan

@horgen: Why do you have such a tough time getting power supplies? You can't just order from Amazon or another online retailer and have them deliver it?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1175  Edited By horgen  Moderator
@BassMan said:

@horgen: Why do you have such a tough time getting power supplies? You can't just order from Amazon or another online retailer and have them deliver it?

I am picky, and ordering from Amazon would result in import fees.

I have been happy with the EVGA ones I've had, but for some reason they aren't listed in the price comparison sites I have used. So I thought the selection was far more limited than it is. Learned that this past week.

Edit: Also have to add, it seems like they charge an arm and leg for PSU here if you want anything good above 750W. Or maybe they have just become a lot more expensive in general the last few years.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1176 horgen  Moderator

The window looks absolutely horrible in this lightning. While both the water pump and water block has RGB, I have those disconnected. All that is left of RGB is one weak light on the motherboard. Shines very dim so no issue.. Also almost covered by the CPU cooler.

During light load this is quieter than my old system. However it is louder during heavier loud.

stephysquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1177  Edited By stephysquid
Member since 2023 • 3 Posts

@horgen: those fingerprints need to be cleaned asap!

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1178 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2543 Posts

4070 for my 9 year old and 7800XT for me. Looking forward to comparing the two!

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1179 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@ghostofgolden: Nice. What CPU will you pair the 7800XT with? I'm thinking of buying it and pair it with i7-8700 till Ryzen 5 arrives.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1180 GhostOfGolden

@PfizersaurusRex: My PC currently has the Ryzen 9 3900X. I will upgrade at some point. My kid will have the Ryzen 7 7700X paired with the 4070. Seeing his PC outperform mine will likely expedite my upgrade lol.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1181  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Couldn't resist buying 7800 XT. The Sapphire Nitro+ is huge, so it's nice that they included a support bracket. BTW I suck at arranging photos and text.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1182  Edited By GhostOfGolden

I’m swapping the Ryzen 9 3900X out for a Ryzen 7 5800X3D this weekend. The gains with gaming were enough for me to jump in on the last AM4 chip.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1183 BassMan

@ghostofgolden said:

I’m swapping the Ryzen 9 3900X out for a Ryzen 7 5800X3D this weekend. The gains with gaming were enough for me to jump in on the last AM4 chip.

Should be a nice upgrade.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1184 GhostOfGolden

@BassMan said:
@ghostofgolden said:

I hope so. The 3900X was choking this 4070 I have installed right now. I was kinda shocked at how bad the 3900X was performing. Then I looked at benchmarks…

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1185 DaVillain  Moderator

@ghostofgolden said:
@BassMan said:
@ghostofgolden said:

I hope so. The 3900X was choking this 4070 I have installed right now. I was kinda shocked at how bad the 3900X was performing. Then I looked at benchmarks…

I'm surprised how well the 5800X3D still holds up against new chips from Intel. That 5800X3D is really futureproof...at least 2/3 more years. Nice upgrade Golden and congrats.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1186 GhostOfGolden

@davillain: Thanks! The jump is 1% lows is the most obvious improvement. I wanted a chip that could kinda of keep up with my kids 7700X better than the 3900X was. The AM5 jump is pretty nice and I’ll probably move him up to the 8800X3D or whatever they call it when that launches. And maybe then I’ll jump to AM5.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1188  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

It's too bad that this forum isn't very active. But anyways since I'm going to bring life to this topic, I'm going to post the new parts that I got to build a new PC once I have everything.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1189  Edited By AcidTango

Hello again. I got all the parts to build my new computer.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1190 horgen  Moderator

@AcidTango: nice! Which case you got?

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1191  Edited By AcidTango

@horgen:

Gigabyte C301 case. I actually got it as a gift from someone.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1192  Edited By BassMan

@AcidTango: Gonna be a beast with that 13700 and that 4070 will make it a solid 1440p rig.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1193 AcidTango

@BassMan:

Yeah definitely. I got myself a 27 inch monitor that is both 1440p and has 165hz. I don't need 4K for now anyways and I find that 1440p is the sweet spot for me.

Also that 4070 is the first time ever that I got myself a high-end graphics card. In past I would only buy mid-range cards but this time I decided to go higher than that :)

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1194  Edited By BassMan

@AcidTango: Well, 4070 is still mid-range, but on the upper end of the mid-range. Sadly, all the cards this gen are priced higher and deliver less performance than what they should. The 4090 being the exception, but it is still damn expensive.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1195  Edited By AcidTango

@BassMan:

Yeah there is a lot of debates of whether or not the RTX 4070 is mid-range or high-end but you're most likely right about it being more of a mid-range.

The RTX 4060 itself isn't good at all so I had to go with the 4070 instead since it's more powerful than the 4060, and it was $100 off so I was very lucky. But yeah it sucks that graphics card prices are getting ridiculously high.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1196 BassMan

@AcidTango: $100 off is always good. :)

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1197  Edited By AcidTango
@BassMan said:

@AcidTango: $100 off is always good. :)

I agree. Anyways I also got this Corsair 850w psu here as well.

Sadly I'm busy this week so I don't have time to build my new computer until the weekend. When I do I will post some pictures here.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1198 AcidTango

Alright guys I finally finished building my new computer.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1199 BassMan

@AcidTango:

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points