Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

@SUD123456: I beg of people to understand that propaganda sources have undermined their ability to think logically. Look at what was cited previously - it's like Cartman's 9/11 speech, but unironically.

People can come back from this, but they have to recognize it and want to come back from it.

You're not going to reason people out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

No doubt a lot of the right-wingers that posted in this very thread won't come back to it because of that reason. Probably saw a glimmer of the truth on the front page of a newspaper or google news that disproved them, but did not dare to actually read any further.

Ignorance is bliss...for them, at least.

I'll never understand why some people fall for disinformation pushed by non professionals in the field. It's bizarre and rather sad.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#252  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

@SUD123456: I beg of people to understand that propaganda sources have undermined their ability to think logically. Look at what was cited previously - it's like Cartman's 9/11 speech, but unironically.

People can come back from this, but they have to recognize it and want to come back from it.

You're not going to reason people out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

No doubt a lot of the right-wingers that posted in this very thread won't come back to it because of that reason. Probably saw a glimmer of the truth on the front page of a newspaper or google news that disproved them, but did not dare to actually read any further.

I'll never understand why some people fall for disinformation pushed by non professionals in the field. It's bizarre and rather sad.

Pure speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's entertainment for them. It's more satisfying to believe it. It scratches whatever itch they have that needs scratching.

Rant:

The same people that gobble up disinformation are the same people that watch History channel programs about Sasquatch and how aliens built the pyramids and say "Wow, what if aliens built the pyramids?!" like they believe it.

It's just easier for them to believe an elaborate fiction that a simple truth. It's a game to them. It's why they take such joy in "owning the libs"; they're not being assholes, they're just enjoying a recreational activity. Sometimes I don't think they realize the damage they're actually doing. It's why when the Sandy Hook truthers are confronted they either clam up and deny or they just sort of shutdown because they actually realized, yes, their actions had consequences.

Add to this how the non-professionals reinforce this by making them feel justified in what they're doing, and it's a potent mix of brainwashing.

That was the worst part about Trump imo. He made it OK for these people who existed in the background of society as ludicrous caricatures--the bigot, the conspiracy theorist, the christo-nationalist-- to come out of the woodwork and now they're here to stay.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@mrbojangles25 said:
@mattbbpl said:

Pure speculation on my part so take it with a grain of salt, but I think it's entertainment for them. It's more satisfying to believe it. It scratches whatever itch they have that needs scratching.

Rant:

The same people that gobble up disinformation are the same people that watch History channel programs about Sasquatch and how aliens built the pyramids and say "Wow, what if aliens built the pyramids?!" like they believe it.

It's just easier for them to believe an elaborate fiction that a simple truth. It's a game to them. It's why they take such joy in "owning the libs"; they're not being assholes, they're just enjoying a recreational activity. Sometimes I don't think they realize the damage they're actually doing. It's why when the Sandy Hook truthers are confronted they either clam up and deny or they just sort of shutdown because they actually realized, yes, their actions had consequences.

Add to this how the non-professionals reinforce this by making them feel justified in what they're doing, and it's a potent mix of brainwashing.

That was the worst part about Trump imo. He made it OK for these people who existed in the background of society as ludicrous caricatures--the bigot, the conspiracy theorist, the christo-nationalist-- to come out of the woodwork and now they're here to stay.

Perhaps but I think they really really believe the disinformation.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#254 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

@LJS9502_basic: oh yeah they definitely believe it. The entertainment factor just reinforces it. I mean, all of us have some part that wishes life was more like the movies. These people just let that part, plus their beliefs, override common sense and critical thinking.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#255 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

What an extremely bizarre body cam video. The smiling and general demeanor of everything to straight violence.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#256  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

The fringe right seem adamantly defensive about this guy not being driven to these acts by the bullshit they spew. Ever since it happened I've run across conspiracy theories claiming it was a hoax and he was a friend of Pelosi and he was a staunch liberal, reality of is he posted a number of antisemetic rants online and those close to him say he'd babble about Qanon conspiracy theories like the pedo ring of Satanic elites meeting at that pizza restaurant and the 2020 election being stolen. These people refuse to believe their their bullshit is not just dishonest misinformation, but dangerous.