Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

@mrbojangles25:

Let me elaborate: The TGA is the de facto 'official' GOTY of video games a la Academy Awards for movies. Its the only *singular* GOTY award that matters. If someone makes a thread asking what game will win the GOTY, they are are 100 out of 100 times referring to the TGA GOTY.

As I have stated since 2015 (almost a decade of posting on this subforum); another important metric is who won the MOST GOTYs. No *singular* one of those GOTYs matters, but collectively they give you a consensus of what the best game was for that given year. Much like metacritic for reviews.

No single review means anything on metacritic, but when you collect 100 of them and average them out, you have a consensus among critics.

There is no review-site equivalent of the TGA, due to the unique structure of TGA. (a panel consisting of dozens of developers and journalists accounting for 90% of the score, while 10% going to a public vote consisting of millions of voters)

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Mozelleple112

@kvallyx:

So its average score is the same as Starfield's, only that it also ended up being the most nominated game in TGA history, and it also won the most GOTY awards of its release year.

Looks like a win to me.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58434 Posts

@Mozelleple112: I was just having a bit of fun. I apologize if this stuff actually matters to you and somehow offended 🙂I totally get the rationale behind your thinking, though, if that makes any difference.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Mozelleple112

@mrbojangles25:

No worries, and none taken. I am always happen to expand on my points and statements.

But yes I do take my award counting very seriously, perhaps more seriously than metacritic averages.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8501 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

The game is on freaking anything and everything apart from Xbox. It's even on iPhone and Macs and yet all they had to say was played by. That's all you need to know that the game haven't sold anywhere close to the numbers of the usual MGS games. No wonder Kojima is back to announcing that he will going to make a MG like game again.

17m users that played DS is equal to 1/3 of total MGS series sold.

Yeah and did I mention it was also on every subscription service out there and was also given away for free? How many MGS games were given away of avaialble on so many systems like DS?

Still, no mention of how many even completed the game. The game didn't do good commercially nor did it find great audience because it was a sh*t game. Get over it.

It may have technically broke even but it definitely didn't made Sony enough money directly. They probably benefitted more from the other effects like Kojima involvement gives them more media coverage and access.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#56 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: No I mean it was the game that won the most GOTYs in 2019. Just like TLOU2 won the most in 2020, Elden Ring won the most in 2022, God of War won the most in 2018, Uncharted 4 won the most in 2016, etc. etc.

Which translates to GOTY varies by outlet. There are no standards, no governing entity or official GOTY. You can count and add value to the count but it doesn't translate to anything of substance unless you are the developer.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6458 Posts

It could win a million awards, but it's still a Postmen Pat simulator. It just goes to show how fake "goty" nominations/wins are.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#58 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15959 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

The game is on freaking anything and everything apart from Xbox. It's even on iPhone and Macs and yet all they had to say was played by. That's all you need to know that the game haven't sold anywhere close to the numbers of the usual MGS games. No wonder Kojima is back to announcing that he will going to make a MG like game again.

17m users that played DS is equal to 1/3 of total MGS series sold.

Yeah and did I mention it was also on every subscription service out there and was also given away for free? How many MGS games were given away of avaialble on so many systems like DS?

Still, no mention of how many even completed the game. The game didn't do good commercially nor did it find great audience because it was a sh*t game. Get over it.

It may have technically broke even but it definitely didn't made Sony enough money directly. They probably benefitted more from the other effects like Kojima involvement gives them more media coverage and access.

MGSV was given away as a PS+ game in idk 2017. Also was part of Gamepass sub idk when.

But it did well commercially that Kojima Production and Sony expanding the IP into movie and sequel.

Assumptions. PS5 sold well regardless of KojiPro being media darling or DS receptions.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PC_Rocks

@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

MGSV was given away as a PS+ game in idk 2017. Also was part of Gamepass sub idk when.

And yet Konami didn't hide behind the useless figure of X players have played it after 5 years of its release.

But it did well commercially that Kojima Production and Sony expanding the IP into movie and sequel.

Already explained why they are doing it. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a commercial hit when they didn't came out and release the numbers like they used to with all their games. Hell Days Gone sold respectably and was still considered a commercial flop. It didn't have plethora of Holywood actors in iteither. SO DS definitely costed an arm and a leg.

Assumptions. PS5 sold well regardless of KojiPro being media darling or DS receptions.

Yeah they should stop all attempts at further marketing because PS5 is selling regardless, nice advice!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39439 Posts

Xbox relied on "played by X amount" for over three years, and guess where it go them? Going third party🤣Not a single game that did well will focus on "played by" instead of "x amount of copies sold". The Played By is bullshitting around, which in the case of Microsoft, is all they could do because nobody buys their games ever since GP came out🤣

And this is all i've been telling to @dabear for the last two plus years, but he was too naive, and believed their illusion of success. Now all his digital library is going third party, and he is stuck with a system with absolutely no reason to exist. This is just sad.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#61  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19643 Posts

Death Stranding was commercially profitable for Kojima Productions:

Hideo Kojima: Death Stranding was profitable and recouped costs; profit secured for next title

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Last_Lap

@Jag85 said:

Death Stranding was commercially profitable for Kojima Productions:

Hideo Kojima: Death Stranding was profitable and recouped costs; profit secured for next title

Your link is not working (well not for me) but you gotta take into account the money he got for putting the game on Gamepass and all the other places that paid to have DS on it.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jag85

@last_lap: Fixed the link. He made that statement back in May 2020, when it was still a PS4 exclusive and well before it went to PS Plus. So the game made a profit in its first year of sales for the PS4 alone. And then the money it made from the ports was additional profit.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Last_Lap

@Jag85: DS must be AA title then, definitely not a AAA title.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Jag85

@last_lap: How so?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Last_Lap

@Jag85 said:

@last_lap: How so?

Well your cheapest AAA game costs $60 million minimum, so to make a profit so soon must have been on the lower scale AAA at best, i'm still thinking AA, No way it was a massive AAA game as they costs $100 million plus.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By sakaiXx
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

Yeah and did I mention it was also on every

And yet Konami didn't hide behind the useless figure of X players have played it after 5 years of its release.

Konami didn't update anything post last figures is not an issue. Heck we can even assume MGSV became irrelevant and 0 legs cause no update and all MGS games sold around 5-7m.

Already explained why they are doing it. Doesn't necessarily mean it was a commercial hit when they didn't came out and release the numbers like they used to with all their games. Hell Days Gone sold respectably and was still considered a commercial flop. It didn't have plethora of Holywood actors in iteither. SO DS definitely costed an arm and a leg.

As per mentioned Jag85, game turned a profit for KojiPro and Sony when it was a PS exclusive and when ported to PC, it was publisher 505 games biggest revenue of the year.

Yeah they should stop all attempts at further marketing because PS5 is selling regardless, nice advice!

Why twisting. The context was you were saying Kojima gives Sony media coverage. I disagree, PS5 selling well regardless of Kojima. Heck Sony instead should asked Kojima for a proper stealth open world game for much bigger hype than green light DS2. Death Stranding clearly a profitable IP for both parties for Sony to back KojiPro with dev budget, marketing and Exclusivity.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69  Edited By KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 13052 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

@kvallyx:

So its average score is the same as Starfield's

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7267 Posts

Don't get the hype about death straining played enough walking Sims in my time.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jag85
@last_lap said:

Well your cheapest AAA game costs $60 million minimum, so to make a profit so soon must have been on the lower scale AAA at best, i'm still thinking AA, No way it was a massive AAA game as they costs $100 million plus.

Kojima Productions reported that Death Stranding sold 5M units for PS4 and PC by mid-2021. 505 Games reported they earned €31 million in net revenue from the PC port by 2021. So we can deduce the PS4 version sold ~4M units and PC port sold ~1M units at the time. If we take an average price of $50 up until then (between $60 full price and occasional $40 discounts), that works out to ~$200M revenue for the PS4 version at the time. Since most sales are digital nowadays and Sony is both the publisher and platform holder, most of that ~$200M would've been shared between KojiPro and Sony. Even if KojiPro and Sony spent around $100-150M on production, marketing and distribution costs, the PS4 version would've still been profitable.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Mozelleple112

@kvallyx: We use MC around here.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Mozelleple112

@Pedro:

True. But you can state factual comments such as:

"Death Stranding won the most awards in 2019"

"Death Stranding is the most nominated game in TGA history"

"TLOU2 won the most awards in 2020..."

And those are all correct.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By KvallyX  Online
Member since 2019 • 13052 Posts
@Mozelleple112 said:

@kvallyx: We use MC around here.

But we don't.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#75 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

Makes sense that current gen champ has all those players-after all SONY is synonymous with world class gaming.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#76 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2953 Posts

I wonder how many of those 16 million actually enjoyed the game.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Last_Lap

@Jag85: It making a profit probably means it was AA in production. as Kojima had Sony and 505 Games as partners and had to spread the money.

It took over 6 months to make a profit, so most likely the game sales weren't that great after all. and as we know games tend to get discounted after a few months on the market (I bought Forza Motorsport for half price less than 3 months after release) so your $50 is a guesstimate more than anything else.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 PC_Rocks

@sakaixx said:

Konami didn't update anything post last figures is not an issue. Heck we can even assume MGSV became irrelevant and 0 legs cause no update and all MGS games sold around 5-7m.

Yeah, and Konami didn't post useless figures like X has played it either because they moved on since it was already a massive success. Different costs, different times so different profit margins.

As per mentioned Jag85, game turned a profit for KojiPro and Sony when it was a PS exclusive and when ported to PC, it was publisher 505 games biggest revenue of the year.

All Jug did is mostly speculation we don't know the actual cost structure and how are they sold. 505 isn't even a big publisher. The only word we actually had was Kojima saying along the lines of it was profitable or didn't make a loss, don't remember exactly. But neither Sony nor Kojima came out bragging about how much it sold or was a sensation when Sony do that for all their commercially successful games. That's also the reason it was immediately announced to be coming to PC before release because internal Sony projections probably already shown they weren't going to make bank on it. Didn't do it for other games.

Why twisting. The context was you were saying Kojima gives Sony media coverage. I disagree, PS5 selling well regardless of Kojima. Heck Sony instead should asked Kojima for a proper stealth open world game for much bigger hype than green light DS2. Death Stranding clearly a profitable IP for both parties for Sony to back KojiPro with dev budget, marketing and Exclusivity.

There was no twisting just showed you the hole in your argument. Kojima gives Sony a constant media and fanboy coverage. The media covers a fart released by Kojima and his fanbase discusses the art in it. That's the reason both Sony and MS parades him whenever they get a chance. Oh and they did or Kojima himself realized that he should go back to MGS like games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 sakaiXx

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Yeah, and Konami didn't post useless figures like X has played it either because they moved on since it was already a massive success. Different costs, different times so different profit margins.

All Jug did is mostly speculation we don't know the actual cost structure and how are they sold. 505 isn't even a big publisher. The only word we actually had was Kojima saying along the lines of it was profitable or didn't make a loss, don't remember exactly. But neither Sony nor Kojima came out bragging about how much it sold or was a sensation when Sony do that for all their commercially successful games. That's also the reason it was immediately announced to be coming to PC before release because internal Sony projections probably already shown they weren't going to make bank on it. Didn't do it for other games.

There was no twisting just showed you the hole in your argument. Kojima gives Sony a constant media and fanboy coverage. The media covers a fart released by Kojima and his fanbase discusses the art in it. That's the reason both Sony and MS parades him whenever they get a chance. Oh and they did or Kojima himself realized that he should go back to MGS like games.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By PC_Rocks
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

I'm aware of that interview and mentioned it in my first post and even in the last reply. May be go back and re-read those to get the context.

Let me highlight it for you:

The only word we actually had was Kojima saying along the lines of it was profitable or didn't make a loss, don't remember exactly.

It was a commercial disappointment even if it can technically be profitable. We don't even know because Kojima said development costs. But I'll take his word for it.

And to drive the point home, I also already directly compared it to Days Gone - released pretty much at the same time and sold somewhere in the range of 7-8M but we all know it was considered a flop commercially.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Chill n Free

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By sakaiXx

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

I'm aware of that interview and mentioned it in my first post and even in the last reply. May be go back and re-read those to get the context.

The only word we actually had was Kojima saying along the lines of it was profitable or didn't make a loss, don't remember exactly.

It was a commercial disappointment even if it can technically be profitable. We don't even know because Kojima said development costs. But I'll take his word for it.

And to drive the point home, I also already directly compared it to Days Gone - released pretty much at the same time and sold somewhere in the range of 7-8M but we all know it was considered a flop commercially.

It was an exclusive when Kojima said it was profitable and then went on to sell few million copies more on PS4, PS5, PC and now mobiles alongside free money from microsoft for gamepass. Different game different metrics.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By PC_Rocks
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

It was an exclusive when Kojima said it was profitable and then went on to sell few million copies more on PS4, PS5, PC and now mobiles alongside free money from microsoft for gamepass. Different game different metrics.

Days Gone was also an exclusive at the time and the last reported numbers for DS, I think Jag speculated it was 5M after release on PC so definitely below DG's numbers and we all know how successful DG was. The Math is not Mathing!

Oh and did you just agree with me that how this game is available on every damn thing it can run on apart from rival consoles and still the metric Kojima shared was "16M has played"?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 sakaiXx

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:

Days Gone was also an exclusive at the time and the last reported numbers for DS, I think Jag speculated it was 5M after release on PC so definitely below DG's numbers and we all know how successful DG was. The Math is not Mathing!

Oh and did you just agree with me that how this game is available on every damn thing it can run on apart from rival consoles and still the metric Kojima shared was "16M has played"?

Different game different metrics. Kojima Production and Sony clearly happy to fund another game idk what with this delusion.

MGS is on alnost every damn thing it can run and on many service as well. DS is clearly a successful title. MGSV caused Konami to exit the market for a while.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By PC_Rocks
@sakaixx said:

Different game differentmetrics. Kojima Production and Sony clearly happy to fund another game idk what with this delusion.

Exactly! Thank you for agreeing with me. Only one of the title gives a media clout.

MGS is on alnost every damn thing it can run and on many service as well. DS is clearly a successful title. MGSV caused Konami to exit the market for a while.

Thank you for agreeing again. It's a known fact that after firing Kojima's a$$ Konami's profits soared and MGS V sold way higher, made a way higher profit and cost way less.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Different game differentmetrics. Kojima Production and Sony clearly happy to fund another game idk what with this delusion.

Exactly! Thank you for agreeing with me. Only one of the title gives a media clout.

Thank you for agreeing again. It's a known fact that after firing Kojima's a$$ Konami's profits soared and MGS V sold way higher, made a way higher profit and cost way less.

Oh my god you two are still going. Its time to stop.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 hardwenzen

@Archangel3371 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

I never go this far with the Aussie. I know it, you know it, we all know it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44363 Posts

@hardwenzen: Alrighty then Liehardwenzen. 👌😅

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#90 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70026 Posts

You can tell when some folks are avid anime viewers.😏

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 PC_Rocks

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Dunking on DS, Kojima and Kojimatards...NEVER!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By hardwenzen

@pc_rocks said:
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Your aim should be god of war, not some irrelevant fedex sim.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sakaiXx

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Last_Lap

@Archangel3371: @hardwenzen: Don't bring me into this.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 PC_Rocks

@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Duplicate post, already addressed. Good to know you ran out of arguments after trying to throw everything at the wall.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 PC_Rocks
@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

Your aim should be god of war, not some irrelevant fedex sim.

Nope. DS and Kojimatards are way way worse.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#97 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59206 Posts

He won.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By sakaiXx

@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Duplicate post, already addressed. Good to know you ran out of arguments after trying to throw everything at the wall.

Nope. Arguement is relevant cause you didnt prove jack shit. All you did was assumptions and comparing games with different metrics. All we know of DS is its profittable and is going to have a sequel. Cope or reply with another delusion.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By PC_Rocks
@sakaixx said:
@pc_rocks said:
@sakaixx said:

Nope. Arguement is relevant cause you didnt prove jack shit. All you did was assumptions and comparing games with different metrics. All we know of DS is its profittable and is going to have a sequel. Cope or reply with another delusion.

Ah getting angry, nice nice. LOL, saying I'm making assumptions while until very recently you were relying on assumptions from Jag for the figures and comparing with MGS V - which according to your own logic is a "different game with different metrics". Funnily MGS V isn't even a good comparison compared to DG because of the time delta. Either way I didn't disagree with it either which made you even mad.

I have no delusion, I didn't even dispute the profitable part which you kept going back to. I made fun of the 16M played irrelevant statistic which made you all bent out of shape. You know the same statistic you consistently made fun of MS for!

Get over it, that useless Fed Ex simulator isn't a big success that you wanted to show it was from this thread. The only reason we are having a discussion over this garbage title is because of Kojima's name or no one would have even gave it a second look.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#100 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59206 Posts

Hideo Kojima is Asian Elon Musk. He slaps his name over everything dancing around in the media taking all the credit.

But in reality the people behind the scenes do all the work.

Death Stranding proves this. Factually. Probably.