Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102 WhatAFailure
Member since 2017 • 608 Posts

@subspecies said:
@whatafailure said:

Their big VR game for Oculus hasn't come out yet (Stormland), but I guess from now on, Insomniac will be making VR games exclusively for PSVR and PSVR2?

Also can't wait to see how Spider-Man 2 looks on PS5.

Dude, I know. Super excited. Insomniac collectively have their hands deep in the VR scene, and this deal means we're going to be seeing exclusive VR games from them. This is great news for PSVR fans.

And someone posted a tweet in this thread saying Sony also acquired the IP rights to games like Sunset Overdrive and VR titles like Edge of Nowhere/Stormland.

Big if true. I don't know how technically demanding Stormland is, but assuming it can be ported over to PSVR, that should be a good thing. More ppl should be able to experience these bigger AAA VR games, not just Rift owners (but I do hope it does well on there too).

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#103 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44634 Posts

Aside from Sunset Overdrive the studio pretty much was acting like a Sony first party studio for years. I am of the belief the only reason they did Sunset Overdrive was to tell Sony they were still free to leave and negotiate a better position on choosing projects and getting funding they needed. I think getting to do Spider-Man just goes to show how well that played out.

R-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 R-Gamer
Member since 2019 • 2221 Posts

@whatafailure: It will probably be coming to the rumored ps VR2.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

After thinking about it last night, It became clear that the only buyer of this studio could be only Sony. They own all the best I.P's from Insomniac so it wouldn't make sense for MS or anyone else to buy them.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@whatafailure said:
@subspecies said:
@whatafailure said:

Their big VR game for Oculus hasn't come out yet (Stormland), but I guess from now on, Insomniac will be making VR games exclusively for PSVR and PSVR2?

Also can't wait to see how Spider-Man 2 looks on PS5.

Dude, I know. Super excited. Insomniac collectively have their hands deep in the VR scene, and this deal means we're going to be seeing exclusive VR games from them. This is great news for PSVR fans.

And someone posted a tweet in this thread saying Sony also acquired the IP rights to games like Sunset Overdrive and VR titles like Edge of Nowhere/Stormland.

Big if true. I don't know how technically demanding Stormland is, but assuming it can be ported over to PSVR, that should be a good thing. More ppl should be able to experience these bigger AAA VR games, not just Rift owners (but I do hope it does well on there too).

I don't think the PS4 is powerful enough to run those Rift games very good. Might make them for PS5 PSVR2.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

@xhawk27: MS could have easily acquired them. Too bad MS lacks vision for quality products. Instead they bought bunch of mediocre studios to pump out mediocre games for their rental service.

M8ingSeezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By M8ingSeezun
Member since 2007 • 2313 Posts

Bring back the Resistance series! Pleeeeese!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#109 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@Ant_17: Still it doesn't change the fact that they don't own the publisher rights for SO1. I wouldn't be surprised if MS publishes it on the PS or straight sells it to Sony.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#110 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@phbz said:

@Ant_17: Still it doesn't change the fact that they don't own the publisher rights for SO1. I wouldn't be surprised if MS publishes it on the PS or straight sells it to Sony.

MS didn't publish ME1 on PS3 when EA bought it.

speedytimsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By speedytimsi
Member since 2003 • 1415 Posts

So Spider-Man 1 and/or 2 will not be on next Xbox....

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#112 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Will the games be affected with the recent squabble between disney and sony?

F both of these corps.

Celsius765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 Celsius765
Member since 2005 • 2417 Posts

Honestly if MS can pick up someone who can make 3d platformers like Ratchet and Clank they'd be pretty decent in my eyes

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

F both of these corps.

No, Sony Interactive Entertainment has nothing to do with Sony/Columbia Pictures

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By jcrame10

@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

Sony now owns the rights to the Sunset Overdrive IP as Insomniac had the rights to it. All Sony would have to do is fund a port to publish Sunset Overdrive on PS4.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 jcrame10

@Celsius765 said:

Honestly if MS can pick up someone who can make 3d platformers like Ratchet and Clank they'd be pretty decent in my eyes

They tried with Recore and Super Lucky's Tale...didn't go so well...

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#117 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20148 Posts
@speedytimsi said:

So Spider-Man 1 and/or 2 will not be on next Xbox....

Sony owns the Spiderman IP. It was never going to be on Xbox so long as Sony is still making exclusive games.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@Celsius765 said:

They got Double Fine

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

Hum.. great? Don't get me wrong Insomniac is a great studio and this is good for Sony but how is this a big deal? The studio has almost only put out Playstation titles in recent history so nothing much will change other than the fact that now the studio can't develop for anyone else. Heck some people have already assumed they were 2nd party, except now they're actually right about it lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@jcrame10: Really don't think that's the case, otherwise nothing would stop them from having already published the game on other platforms. Sony owning them doesn't change a thing since they don't own the publishing rights for SO1 to begin with. With ME there must have been a renegotiation or there was a limit to how long MS had the rights for, otherwise it wouldn't take so long for the game to come to PS3. So unless more info comes out it's pretty safe to assume that Sony can't publish it since it's already known MS owns the rights to the first game. And Sony already said they're not interested and that they want them to keep working on their previous Sony IPs.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:

Hum.. great? Don't get me wrong Insomniac is a great studio and this is good for Sony but how is this a big deal? The studio has almost only put out Playstation titles in recent history so nothing much will change other than the fact that now the studio can't develop for anyone else. Heck some people have already assumed they were 2nd party, except now they're actually right about it lol.

Recent history shows otherwise , though. - Fuse , R&C Into the Nexus , Sunset Overdrive , Slow Down Bull , Fruit Fusion , Bad Dinos , Digit and Dash , Ratchet & Clank , Song of the Deep , Edge of NoWhere , The Unspoken , Feral Rights , Marvel's Spider-Man , Seedling , Stormland.

They were very clearly independent and free to make deals or be bought by whoever offered a deal they liked. They probably got a lot of offers. Nobody assumed anything. Eyes are on every good independent studio. Many have been purchased recently - Obsidian , Quantic Dream , Psyonix , Ninja Theory , etc.

This is a HUGE deal.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 lebanese_boy

@Nike_Air said:
@lebanese_boy said:

Recent history shows otherwise , though. - Fuse , R&C Into the Nexus , Sunset Overdrive , Slow Down Bull , Fruit Fusion , Bad Dinos , Digit and Dash , Ratchet & Clank , Song of the Deep , Edge of NoWhere , The Unspoken , Feral Rights , Marvel's Spider-Man , Seedling , Stormland.

They were very clearly independent and free to make deals or be bought by whoever offered a deal they liked. They probably got a lot of offers. Nobody assumed anything. Eyes are on every good independent studio. Many have been purchased recently - Obsidian , Quantic Dream , Psyonix , Ninja Theory , etc.

This is a HUGE deal.

Yes they were clearly independent, no it doesn't change the fact that they have always been closely associated with Sony. Still not that huge of a deal.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@lebanese_boy: I agree, as it wasn't really surprising considering their past with Sony. And Sony needs them to keep the Spiderman machine rolling and they know they are at a favourable position for negotiations so I image the numbers themselves must be huge. The acquisition not so much. Kinda like MS acquiring Playground.

avenger85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 avenger85
Member since 2015 • 304 Posts

I can’t wait to see what they do with spiderman 2. I’m not even a spiderman fan and I greatly enjoyed that game

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 jcrame10

@phbz: what was stopping them from publishing the game before was not having a publisher to do it. They’re not gonna eat the costs to publish themselves when the game didn’t sell that well in the first place anyways

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts
@jcrame10 said:
@Gamerno6666 said:

F both of these corps.

No, Sony Interactive Entertainment has nothing to do with Sony/Columbia Pictures

But doesn't disney own the video game rights to spiderman I see disney constantly advertising the spiderman game. This deal might hurt if theres bad blood between sony and disney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@jcrame10: Do you have a quote on that? Because otherwise I think we should assume that owning the publishing rights means just that.

As for Sony, this is what they said: "As far as the IP itself, we really haven’t turned over the files on that one to see what that actually means, to be honest."

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 lebanese_boy

@phbz said:

@lebanese_boy: I agree, as it wasn't really surprising considering their past with Sony. And Sony needs them to keep the Spiderman machine rolling and they know they are at a favourable position for negotiations so I image the numbers themselves must be huge. The acquisition not so much. Kinda like MS acquiring Playground.

Yeah having them being in charge of the spiderman franchise is definitely a great thing, they are after all the best spiderman team since the ones who did 2 and web of shadows imo.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Ant_17

@jcrame10 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@phbz said:

Sony now owns the rights to the Sunset Overdrive IP as Insomniac had the rights to it. All Sony would have to do is fund a port to publish Sunset Overdrive on PS4.

Yeah, MS has nothing to do with this anymore.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56291 Posts

@phbz said:

Hate to tell you this but this has been stated many times that Insomniac owns Sunset Overdrive rights and MS wasn't please with the sales during Xbox One early days, MS never care about SO rights and never purchase it either. That said, Insomniac owns it and Sony purchase Insomniac so yeah, Sony owns it now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

So is this the new lem damage control? "Insomniac has had involvement with Sony before therefore: worthless deal". Lol, you guys are too much. This is absolutely great news for Sony and PS/PSVR fans in general (PSVR owing to the fact that Insomniac already has considerable VR experience, and this means future PSVR exclusives, not to mention existing VR games that will now be on PSVR). Sony just locked down another high profile game studio. Cry all you want, but you can't deny this fact.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Their best games were already PlayStation exclusives anyway so I don't see the big deal

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 jcrame10

@phbz: the Sunset Overdrive IP is now listed as a Sony property

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@BassMan said:

Surprised it didn't happen earlier. They only worked with Sony for the longest time before exploring other options there for a while.

Agreed. The reaction's are a bit overblown, it was inevitable. Really bummed MS got Ninja Theory and Double Fine before Sony could. Glad for those studios, though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56291 Posts

@subspecies said:

So is this the new lem damage control? "Insomniac has had involvement with Sony before therefore: worthless deal". Lol, you guys are too much. This is absolutely great news for Sony and PS/PSVR fans in general (PSVR owing to the fact that Insomniac already has considerable VR experience, and this means future PSVR exclusives, not to mention existing VR games that will now be on PSVR). Sony just locked down another high profile game studio. Cry all you want, but you can't deny this fact.

I'm only disappointed in Sony because this didn't happened sooner to purchasing Insomniac after all this time or even right after Sunset Overdrive flop on Xbox One. Oh well, better late then never as they say.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@davillain- said:
@subspecies said:

I'm only disappointed in Sony because this didn't happened sooner to purchasing Insomniac after all this time or even right after Sunset Overdrive flop on Xbox One. Oh well, better late then never as they say.

I'll give you that. It should have happened a long time ago. But it's great that it happened, finally.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

@davillain-: They own the IP not the publishing rights for the first game. Meaning that while they are free to make sequels they can't publish the first game, unless there's a time limit on the rights or MS sells them (which I think they should). At least that's what's being said online for the last 5 years.

From Wikipedia:"However it is believed that Xbox Game Studios (formerly Microsoft Studios) still owns the publishing rights to Sunset Overdrive". - Nothing official but I find nothing online that says otherwise.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@phbz said:

@davillain-: They own the IP not the publishing rights for the first game. Meaning that while they are free to make sequels they can't publish the first game, unless there's a time limit on the rights or MS sells them (which I think they should). At least that's what's being said online for the last 5 years.

From Wikipedia:"However it is believed that Xbox Game Studios (formerly Microsoft Studios) still owns the publishing rights to Sunset Overdrive". - Nothing official but I find nothing online that says otherwise.

Nah, dude, Sony owns it outright (like you said). Publishing rights is simply a legal matter that can be worked through. If Sony really wants the game on Playstation, it can definitely happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@subspecies: You're crying because the lems refuse to make a big deal about this lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#140  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@subspecies: but that’s how purchasing Playground games was handled by cows. Did u expect fanboys to be different on the other side?

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#141 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Ant_17: it’s funny that people don’t remember why insomniac went with MS on SO. It was because they wanted to own their ip and Sony wants ownership of what went on their platform then. MS said “own it and put it on ours exclusive “ so insomniac went with it. Am I the only person that remembers this? MS never owned this ip

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#142 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70040 Posts

It's odd that Sunset Overdrive is now a good game after all the negative feedback it received from Sony fannies. Who, am I kidding, I am not surprised.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Ant_17

@cainetao11 said:

@Ant_17: it’s funny that people don’t remember why insomniac went with MS on SO. It was because they wanted to own their ip and Sony wants ownership of what went on their platform then. MS said “own it and put it on ours exclusive “ so insomniac went with it. Am I the only person that remembers this? MS never owned this ip

Only you dude.

Lems calling Sony greedy fucks for wanting to hold the IP. Remember that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@cainetao11 said:

@subspecies: but that’s how purchasing Playground games was handled by cows. Did u expect fanboys to be different on the other side?

Well, this cow didn't treat it that way. But yeah, fanboys will be fanboys, I suppose.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro said:

It's odd that Sunset Overdrive is now a good game after all the negative feedback it received from Sony fannies. Who, am I kidding, I am not surprised.

Nah, SO is crap. It's fun for like five minutes, then the gimmick gets old. Maybe a sequel will be better, who knows.

As for Insomniac's other games, Resistance series, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, plus their new VR stuff, etc.--good stuff.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#146  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

So since they are never going to make a Sunset Overdrive 2 now, can they pls add more depth to the spiderman swinging. Give me more shit I can do to go faster, in its current state its fine n fun enough, but it lacks some of the shenanigans that were in web of shadows, and adding them on top of what's currently there would be kino.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#147 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70040 Posts

@subspecies said:

Nah, SO is crap. It's fun for like five minutes, then the gimmick gets old. Maybe a sequel will be better, who knows.

As for Insomniac's other games, Resistance series, Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, plus their new VR stuff, etc.--good stuff.

Wow! you proved my point in your attempt to counter. If there is a sequel with the same formula you would be the first to say how much better it is than the original despite being the same game.

Tools. LOL.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

@Pedro: ....huh? All I said was that SO is crap. That's all I've ever said about it. And I'm about 99.9% sure I'll say the same thing about the sequel, if it ever comes to pass.

Honestly, dude, you're so excitable lol.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Sunset Overdrive is a decent game. It's nowhere near as good as Spider-Man though. Lems overrate the hell out of it because of how awful MS's other offerings have been this gen.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

I keep forgetting Sony doesn't. They pretty much had to or else Disney may pull a fast one.